Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
A random comment on Steam says that War Elephants have siege value, but I can't find this backed up anywhere. Is it true? If so, where is it described in-game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mister Olympus posted:

A random comment on Steam says that War Elephants have siege value, but I can't find this backed up anywhere. Is it true? If so, where is it described in-game?

Trial and error via taking an elephant to a siege?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

It's true, they have 0.1 siege_value. You can check in man_at_arms_types/00_regional_maa_types.txt

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:feelsgood:

Finally put it together with this fella here:

Inherited Norway at 14, two Sinful traits meant basically every Vassal hated him from the get-go. I discovered that while you can't throw Feasts underage you can indeed still hold a Grand Blot, so spending a 1,000g to pump all the +opinion modifiers is well worth it if you have the resources. After re-taking Denmark from his brother he spent most of the 30 year wait for the form High Kingdom condition fighting in a few little wars but mainly putting down rebellions and finding Hooks on strong Vassals to keep them out of Factions.

Then, in his late 40s, the fuckin Pope called a Crusade for the Kingdom of England and this was the first time I've actually ever participated in a Crusade so it was kind of scary. Shouldn't have been scared, though, as the loving Asatruans slaughtered Catholics for a year and half and the Crusade fell flat on its face. By the end the 30 years had accrued on the 3 Kingdom Titles, I smashed Sweden to grab the wayward North Sea Heartland province, and boom. Very satisfying. I don't know if there's any achievements left to strive for on this playthrough?

e: I guess I could focus on landing my Dynasty far and wide and hope for the 'Dynasty raises 100 runestones' achievement by 1453? Oh, I can also perhaps try and Invade the Kingdom of Sicily and take it from the Byzantines, getting the 'Faster than the Fox' achievement because I still have about 25 years to do it. I wonder tho, if I reform Asatru would that lock me out? The requirement for that one is "starting and staying as a north german asatruan of any kind"

How are u fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 1, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
FOLK YEAH, SEA-KING!

I'm surprised you don't have a stress-mitigating trait after the Blots you mentioned as a compassionate coward. You'd think at least one of those two traits would make Blots stressful. I also, personally, love that the guy who managed the feat was a compassionate coward who looks kind of like Santa Claus and has no positive genetic traits whatsoever. Doing the big stuff with less-gifted (though those are still fairly baller stats) is much more satisfying.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I hate when I either forget or don't understand how succession works and gave away my kingdom and the other heir got it.

But also glad to remember why switching religions can be important because it enables holy wars on other Catholics!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Succession tab is your friend

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Veryslightlymad posted:

FOLK YEAH, SEA-KING!

I'm surprised you don't have a stress-mitigating trait after the Blots you mentioned as a compassionate coward. You'd think at least one of those two traits would make Blots stressful. I also, personally, love that the guy who managed the feat was a compassionate coward who looks kind of like Santa Claus and has no positive genetic traits whatsoever. Doing the big stuff with less-gifted (though those are still fairly baller stats) is much more satisfying.

:hf:

I agree with your point about Blots and negative traits, you would indeed think that there could be some more interaction there. I wonder if that'll slip in in an future patch.

I was definitely trying hard to breed some congenital traits into the family, just so happens that the succeeding son was a dud while his brothers and uncles and poo poo were all at least Intelligent. The heir is a 3-candle kid, though.

Does anybody have any suggestions for nice or helpful ways of reforming Asatru? I was kind of thinking of reforming for a Temporal head of faith, and taking the doctrine that allows you to sell Indulgences...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Now all I need to do is fight a bunch of religious rebellions and wait a couple decades while my vassals convert their lands.

Featuring absolutely hideous borders.

I'm considering blowing my subjugation on taking Bohemia for laughs.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Are you in range of France? France looks soft and the tech boost from going Norman can't be beat, if you can manage to swap back to Norse, though a similar thing with Bohemia/Czech would fix some inheritance issues.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How are u posted:

:hf:

I agree with your point about Blots and negative traits, you would indeed think that there could be some more interaction there. I wonder if that'll slip in in an future patch.

I was definitely trying hard to breed some congenital traits into the family, just so happens that the succeeding son was a dud while his brothers and uncles and poo poo were all at least Intelligent. The heir is a 3-candle kid, though.

Does anybody have any suggestions for nice or helpful ways of reforming Asatru? I was kind of thinking of reforming for a Temporal head of faith, and taking the doctrine that allows you to sell Indulgences...

Whatever you do make sure you get Temporal revocation of your priest or whatever, it's among the best things you can get

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My capital is at 25 development, one of the most developed places in the world. However I don't think that will actually matter until I go feudal/clan.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Until you do literally the only thing it matters for is Supply Limit.

Started a new game as Vsevolod of Pereyaslav, and it's weird how hollow the game feels. Your brothers are all landed rulers in the area, but even though you're all rivals there's nothing to really fight over because there's no city politics to worry about. There's also no reason for you to cooperate as happened historically because the steppe nomads don't really do anything. :smith:

No reason to quarrel with people lower down the Volga either, since trade isn't a thing and you don't have longships for some reason.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 2, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
well it took all night but i finally made myself the witch tsar of the rus

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

"... 'till we have built Jerusalem, In England's green and pleasant land."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Now all I need to do is fight a bunch of religious rebellions and wait a couple decades while my vassals convert their lands.

Tsar Ali, fabulous he, Ali Rurikid

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I was incredibly sad to realize that the elevate kingdom of mann decision reforms you so I couldnt get the "Form North Sea Empire As A Tribal" achievement

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ha, I'm doing this achievement now, too, but I haven't converted my culture to Rus because I want those longboats and raids.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Quorum posted:

Tsar Ali, fabulous he, Ali Rurikid

Funnily enough Áli is a Norse name and is just very fittingly similar to an Arabic name.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm hoping there's gonna be another hotfix patch at some point, because there are some bugs that are a bit annoying. Like my Holy Order still costing me piety to hire for some reason even though the tooltip says it's free, or sometimes my domain's temples going inactive while being leased to my realm priest and despite the tooltip saying they'll reactivate next month, they never do. Otherwise though I'm having a lot of fun doing the whole Norse -> Russia thing starting as a custom ruler in Novgorod.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

How are u posted:

Anyone know if you can auto-accept indulgence requests yet? Because goddamn did manually approving every single request when I did this get annoying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sorry but raiding is a dogshit mechanic and should be offmap. I don't want to flyswat pissant stacks every two months thanks

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sorry but raiding is a dogshit mechanic and should be offmap. I don't want to flyswat pissant stacks every two months thanks

"alright i'll just dismiss my levies and make them uncallable for months so that they can reinforce without costing me.... and i'm being raided"

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
How come the AI can raise insane amounts of dudes compared to me? My Russia is loving massive but can only raise 21k with a good and long ruling tsar yet, not even a fully unified england can raise 15k alone, Aquitaine can raise 38(!) and half of Hungry can raise 9k. Is it tied heavily with your martial or something? I have all my contracts on default.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

BillBear posted:

How come the AI can raise insane amounts of dudes compared to me? My Russia is loving massive but can only raise 21k with a good and long ruling tsar yet, not even a fully unified england can raise 15k alone, Aquitaine can raise 38(!) and half of Hungry can raise 9k. Is it tied heavily with your martial or something? I have all my contracts on default.

dunno, try switching to them to see where the levies come from
or post some screenshots

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BillBear posted:

Martial skill does have a big impact on levies but there could be several other things.

Do your vassals have low levy obligations?
Are your lands underdeveloped and not posessing a lot of military buildings?
Do you not have a lot of personal holdings?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

scaterry posted:

dunno, try switching to them to see where the levies come from
or post some screenshots

I've just died and now a little girl, plus I have just seen that not rightful liege bit, which means I need to forge some empire titles. But, even so, surely I should be getting more men?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

BillBear posted:

How many allies do they have? If you just look at the number on their character page it includes the armies of their allies, Mousing over it should give the breakdown.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
[Whoops I'm bad at posting]

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Those screenshots provide approximately zero information.

You'll want to look at the tooltips of their army strength, and also your realm screen with your vassals which tooltip what you're getting from your subordinates.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

BillBear posted:

many factors. martial is a big one. personal demesne is another. number of men at arms. level of centralization. vassal opinion modifiers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BillBear posted:

I've just died and now a little girl, plus I have just seen that not rightful liege bit, which means I need to forge some empire titles. But, even so, surely I should be getting more men?

Tribal levies are tied to prestige level. Yours looks to be very low (just child ruler things), so your vassals barely contribute anything.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The AI tends to max out their men at arms with light infantry or archers to pump numbers too, which does well early game but falls behind once you get at least your home county built up reasonably.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

BillBear posted:

If your vassals don't like you, they'll provide fewer soldiers.

There's lots of other factors, but that's probably the easiest one to do something about.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, my AI ally started a war and got attacked after. Combined, both were easily winnable. But is there not a "attach to my stack dumbass" button like in EU4? I cannot attach to his dumbass stack because he will suicidally try failed bace-racing and I need his stack to beat the enemy stacks. He literally died and tanked me in the process by refusing to fight. GG on making the combat ai even worse than in EU4? I am really frustrated at this game atm, I want it to be good.

Like, I was attached to him, we heavily outnumbered the enemy stack that was about to 100% him, and he chose to beeline a fort rather than battle to save his last castle.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, my AI ally started a war and got attacked after. Combined, both were easily winnable. But is there not a "attach to my stack dumbass" button like in EU4?

There was in 2, not 3 unfortunately. People handwave it away as 'communication and logistics were more difficult then' but I think it should still be an option, even if it turns off cheevos or something.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

A really nice QoL feature would be for idle armies with commanders and not surrounded by enemies to be able to automatically split up to get to the supply limit and rejoin if an enemy is near. The micro on multiple big stacks as seasons change is really annoying otherwise.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

If your vassals don't like you, they'll provide fewer soldiers.

There's lots of other factors, but that's probably the easiest one to do something about.

I think this only applies to clan governments. Otherwise it's tied to fame level (for tribes) or feudal contracts (for feudal) and crown authority.

Another thing to consider, especially for very large realms, is the endorsement of your realm priest. A realm priest that likes you can give you up to 100% of their levies at +50 opinion. If there are a lot of temples in your realm, that could be a lot of levies.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 4, 2021

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not sure what clicked with the game today after about 18 hours but I started a Bohemian 1066 start, then did really well as my first ruler with some well placed marriages and ended up 2nd in line for the Holy Roman Empire by the time he died of old age at 69, and a much bigger rule than I started with along with a fantastic heir. After taking over Wallachia with my heir, I got a ton of notifications and got the Holy Roman Empire. Turns out the first in line and king had been killed in a battle of a small war they had gotten into at the same time my war ended, and I now have my first empire. I'm also first in line to Jerusalem, and have a great relationship with my faith head, so I'll maybe try and unite the West Slavs as my next goal. This is way further and more successful than I've ever been, so I'm pretty happy even though this is a fairly easy start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'm not usually a Nords player but I really dig the new pack. Graphics, music, events, it's all great. They even reigned in the rampant edgelordism of CK2, a few hours in and I've yet to read a lurid description of me torturing a priest to death.

10/10, get pack, play nords