Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Did they explain that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Not in any detail, I think they said they'd cover it in an article at some point.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why is it called the trident class?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Why is it called the trident class?

It was used underwater a lot in the show, I guess?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Madurai posted:

It was used underwater a lot in the show, I guess?

But poseidon is an earth God

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hope you can remove those spindly arms for storing/transport. They look snappable

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

On Earth he is.

In Star Wars he's probably a jizz wailer.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

HootTheOwl posted:

The Trident is a fishing tool.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vader defender is 115 points and has no sensor slot.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Burning_Monk posted:

The Trident is a fishing tool.

If you're an ancient Greek

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Vader defender is 115 points and has no sensor slot.

Hahahaha. I mean anything less would be more OP than x7s from first ed. Also his nerfed ability. Like if he had regular vader ability you could do free action off free evade, then take a regular action, then proc off that for a 4 action defender with one force at I6

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Or anybody, really...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

People still harpoon fish, either with SCUBA, wading near shore, or a bigass hole cut in the ice.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I haven't looked at lists in ages. Decided to see what's being played now and it's just aids

GALACTIC EMPIRE (198)
Baron of the Empire TIE Advanced v1 (34)
Ruthless + Proton Rockets
Baron of the Empire TIE Advanced v1 (31)
Ruthless + XX-23 S-Thread Tracers
Baron of the Empire TIE Advanced v1 (31)
Ruthless + XX-23 S-Thread Tracers

GALACTIC EMPIRE (200)
Baron of the Empire TIE Advanced v1 (30)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers

Drone swarms, 5 T-65s

All so yuck

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The swarm meta really just doesn’t do it for me either. Games are such a slog. :(

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The only reason swarms seem like the ‘meta’ is because the few games being played are online so there is zero barrier on getting the list since the players don’t have to pay for all the ships/components, and because the players just hit buttons so movement/bumping in automated. In person there is zero chance that would the actual ‘meta’.

Also, while In person games aren’t a thing, there really isn’t a meta.

Also, referring to lists as AIDS and cancer and poo poo like that is really poor taste.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I agree that TTS makes swarming easier.

But people will always fly what’s best, so I don’t agree it will magically disappear for in person games, unless they’re suddenly not viable due an unfavorable intersection of time and points lost at the 75 minute mark.

I also don’t agree that there isn’t a meta. There absolutely is; it’s just for the TTS scene.

I do agree about the comparison being in poor taste.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Swarms were a thing pre-Covid too. Vulture swarms were huge for a while, and I was flying 5 T-65s for a while. I do think the meta is going to change drastically when in-person tournaments are a thing again, but there's still going to be plenty of people hitting eBay for 6 TIE Advanced v1s or whatever.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I thinm swarms have always been a thing tho. Even in1.0. It's just then you got total broke bs like nym/randa as a harder counter.

Now there isn't any really and so swarms are just broken and unfun to play against

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
It's not hard to acquire the ships for swarm irl. X-wing is a friendly community and people are always willing to loan out ships.

Also, Thread Tracers should just not being in the game.

Raged fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 20, 2021

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah the money part isn't really a factor. Plenty of people shelled out for 3x JM5Ks, CIS swarms, Y-wing swarms, ect. The issue is the amount of time you save playing online not having to move poo poo out of the way is enormous. A movement phase irl with a swarm list is like 10+ minutes sometimes. Its a lot harder to snipe a couple swarm ships and win on points when suddenly your games are going 4 or 5 rounds longer.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Swarm flying is exhausting, I don't know how some people willingly do it when they don't absolutely have to.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah the money part isn't really a factor. Plenty of people shelled out for 3x JM5Ks, CIS swarms, Y-wing swarms, ect. The issue is the amount of time you save playing online not having to move poo poo out of the way is enormous. A movement phase irl with a swarm list is like 10+ minutes sometimes. Its a lot harder to snipe a couple swarm ships and win on points when suddenly your games are going 4 or 5 rounds longer.

Swarm flying is an advantage for the swarm player. Fewer turns means the non swarm player is at a huge disadvantage when it comes to having the turns to manuver around to get in the best position. The easiest way to beat a drone swarm was to meet it in the final match of top cut where you had 2 hours to play.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
As a friend said it is way too easy for players to take a swarm with upgrades that get around their usually poor attack dice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hell just point enough guns on target and two reds are fine. Add howlrunner rerolls or network calculations or whatever and you got a strong firewall

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im talking specifically about after combat has started rounds when the swarm is about to be or has been split up. Pre engagement (jockeying for position) rounds are more or less the same whether its irl or tts. Once combat starts you start seeing combat rounds jump from 3-4 (IRL) to 5-6+ (TTS)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I've flown swarms irl and a lot of the worst of it comes with people who do them who haven't practiced moving them around. Once you get the hang of it you can run your stuff pretty quickly in terms of real life.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The only swarm I've enjoyed flying was the 5 Y-wings with veteran turret gunner and Drea. It was great because I already owned 2 scum and 2 1.0 rebel Y-wings and wanted an excuse to buy a 2.0 Y-wing. It was great to watch people try to joust that hate pile of 9 attacks with an ace

I also have an unhealthy love of Y-wings and have since I was a kid, so ymmv.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Points are out. However it looks like resistance, GR and SEP are not getting a update.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

What I wanna know is what changed in HS

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

What I wanna know is what changed in HS

Looks like YASB updated, if you don't wanna check the PDFs

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Looks like YASB updated, if you don't wanna check the PDFs

Ended up stop being lazy and checked. First thing I noticed is some rebel ships now have a Spectre Keyword. That is interesting design space they are going into.

EDIT: Lotta cool keywords, like the hwks having freighter etc.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Darth Vader (66)
Fire-Control System (2)
Afterburners (7)

Soontir Fel (54)
Marksmanship (1)
Stealth Device (8)

Ciena Ree (48)
Predator (2)
Stealth Device (8)
Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Nolte that Ciena can use Predator to reroll a die that hits, if you want to not finish off an opponent and trigger her pilot ability.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My friend recently bought an X-Wing core set and is excited about getting into it. I'm yet to get a game with him (getting my first vaccine shot Tuesday, waiting to be fully vaccinated), but I was interested in Scum and Villainy and wanted to ask a few questions.

1) Is it possible to buy the basic gameplay materials outside of the core set? I see the answer in the OP is "no", but it's also two years old so I thought I'd check.

2) Does X-wing still have the issue I heard about in the first edition with people having to buy ship packs just for universal cards?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Did your friend buy the second edition core set?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Some Numbers posted:

Did your friend buy the second edition core set?

He did, yes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Then the answer is yes. There are now stand alone faction damage decks and movement templates. Also just sayin' Etsy

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

The question is: is a separate damage deck and a set of dice and plastic templates cheaper than a core set? The core set also comes with a bunch of generic upgrades...

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

polynominal-c posted:

The question is: is a separate damage deck and a set of dice and plastic templates cheaper than a core set? The core set also comes with a bunch of generic upgrades...

It's just I don't feel grabbed by either Alliance or Empire at the moment, and I'd rather start off with something I like. If that means I double up on something, later, eh. The generic upgrades is something of a concern for them though. I didn't like that model much in Warhammer Underworlds (though I would still buy in so my friend has a play partner).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The short answer is no, you don't HAVE to get the core set, you can get all it's components individually elsewhere. However the core set has everything you need in one package, and is regularly available at a discounted price well below the cost of all it's pieces individually. Even if you don't think you'll ever play Rebel or Empire, you can use those ships for demos for new players, or use them as a display piece, or give them away/sell them.