Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tender Bender posted:

Are the Barroth weapons and other -affinity weapons worth making? If I understand the math correctly I think the extra raw damage they tend to have makes up for it, but I'm not sure.

Sure, they can be. You lose 25% on a -affinity hit, so multiply that by the -affinity to get the average damage loss - i.e. a 230 raw weapon with -30 affinity is roughly equivalent to a 213 dmg weapon (230-[230*.25*.3]). A lot of the -affinity weapons have pretty bad sharpness, though, which is another damage multiplier.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Qubee posted:

Ah ok, that makes more sense! Seemed extremely limiting otherwise.

Can someone tell me if I need to make these paralysis phials for the weapon bonus to work?Just realised it's when I power up the sword and attack it with the sword that it's active. What does affinity mean, and how do I upgrade sharpness. I'm tired of my weapon blunting so fast.

Affinity is Critical Hit chance, the number is the percentage is the chance to do an extra 25% more damage. In this case you have a weapon with negative affinity which means that 20% is the chance to do a negative crit with 25% less damage.

Sharpness is unique to each weapon, the only way to improve it is to upgrade the weapon itself, or use the Handicraft skill (which is primarily an endgame skill).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, negative affinity weapons take some support to really make them sing (enough Crit Eye/Weakness Exploit to offset the negative affinity, Handicraft to help with the sharpness) but they can be really good raw damage weapons with that support.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Well I killed the final boss.

I can't say I'm a fan of that fight.

I get the movement options in the game are relatively robust but basing a fight around having to slowly put your weapon away and then hope you stick a wirebug so that you can get to artillery weapons that have controls that are inverted from what goes on with the LBG is just awful. Additionally wyvernblasts that stick to the boss basically end up being unhittable because its hitbox doesn't match the model so your wyvernblasts will just stick somewhere in the air around the boss.

It felt really terrible compared to some of the cooler HR7 fight basically and I'm kinda annoyed that it was my bookend to the game.

All that being said, I'm really glad I gave this series another look after I hated World as much as I did. Light bowgun is basically everything I needed to make the game work and it was a real joy to play through the entire way.

I'd probably have less grinding in it, I never really felt that I lost a fight to lack of skill so much as bosses just oneshotting me because my armour hadn't been upgraded far enough. That and there are weapon and armour combinations I never got to try and never will try because they'd require a stupid amount of grinding to achieve. But it wasn't so bad as to make me stop wanting to play, so all in all, a fun time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah, negative affinity weapons take some support to really make them sing (enough Crit Eye/Weakness Exploit to offset the negative affinity, Handicraft to help with the sharpness) but they can be really good raw damage weapons with that support.

Bludgeoner seems really good in this game, an easier skill to slot in to make up for the low sharpness damage.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

Reactive CB is fairly tricky compared to Lance, though.

Not anymore! The LZ+A wire bug move is a block with a ridiculously long active time - literally like a second or so. If you block with it, it'll fully load up your phials, AND you can combo out of it! A will take you into axe mode swinging with one of the attacks that uses 1 phial, X will charge up your sword (or axe if you're using the buzzsaw mode switch skill), and X+A will instantly lead to (S)AED. So you can go from completely empty to full phials into SAED, or instantly charge up your shield, etc. And since the activation window is so big it's very hard to gently caress up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dash Breaker and Spinning Bludgeon are both really good, so the choice between them is pretty hard. Spinning Bludgeon is much better against slow or tall monsters like the bears or Anjanath, while Dash Breaker's full second of invulnerability while dashing makes it great against monsters that move a lot or have big hard-to-dodge AOEs. Dash Breaker also remembers your charge after you dash, so if you charge up to level 3, Dash Breaker, and tap your charge button you'll throw out the L3 charge attack immediately (or you can push and hold if you need to reposition after the dash). Dash Breaker makes Magnamalo, Nargacuga, and most of the other kitty dragons into chumps, it's great.

I vastly prefer Strength over Courage, but Courage probably does more damage if you can use it well. It's a totally different playstyle, like switching from a Long Gunlance to a Wide one. I could see Courage being really useful but it also feels extremely demanding. It feels like you'll have to know the monster you're fighting perfectly to get consistent L3 charge combos going since even the slightest tap will interrupt you, but I would bet we'll see Hammer speedrunners using it if they're not already.

Good call on dash breaker being better on the quick guys I’ll definitely try it out there. Some of those guys are a nightmare with hammer

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Bludgeoner seems really good in this game, an easier skill to slot in to make up for the low sharpness damage.

I always forget about that one! Probably more fun that way, too, especially if you have a source of the Mind's Eye effect (either the skill or you're rocking a hunting horn or something).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 3, 2021

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of charge blade, I'm not really feeling the alternate guard morph or axe spin yet. Losing the spinning axe on knockdown or sheathe is kind of annoying. It can definitely crank out damage, but the stars have to align to a much greater degree than just getting out a regular charged sword slash. It's probably just that both switch skills need a larger change in how you play the weapon than for other weapons, but has anyone been getting much mileage out of them?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chumbler posted:

Speaking of charge blade, I'm not really feeling the alternate guard morph or axe spin yet. Losing the spinning axe on knockdown or sheathe is kind of annoying. It can definitely crank out damage, but the stars have to align to a much greater degree than just getting out a regular charged sword slash. It's probably just that both switch skills need a larger change in how you play the weapon than for other weapons, but has anyone been getting much mileage out of them?

I'm also not crazy on the guard morph, but axe spin owns bones, especially with evade extender for extra mobility. But yeah, it does require a fundamental change in how you play - you want to be in axe mode as much as possible with it. I just get in the habit of hitting X after a wire bug counter to instantly hop into it. Since it refills phials as you swing, ideally you want to stay in axe mode as much as possible. If you need to reposition, LZ+X > A will move you while keeping your axe charged up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I've been using the alternate guard morph with Rapid Morph 3, it's real chunky and feels great when you can line up the SAED juuuuust right. Not like optimal or anything but I've had a blast with the playstyle when going for pure raw impact explosion fishing. I stick with the buzzsaw for elemental and use Evade Extender 3, gives you enough mobility in axe mode to keep the buzzsaw up basically all the time once you've got it charged.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

chumbler posted:

I really like the guard morph, I think its much easier to hit a guard point with and you get huge SAEDs when you do. Its a little slower but you can counteract that with some points into rapid morph, which I think is a decent luxury skill for CB anyways. Axe is definitely situational, for some matchups you won't use it much if at all and for others it absolutely rips. The two go well together too I think since you get the guard point coming from switch out of axe mode. I have two builds right now, with Narg CB I take savage axe for matchups where I won't be going for too many SAEDs and instead trying to headsnipe with AED and then savage axe during the knockdown, and with Rajang CB I take the sword and just go for big SAED counters. Guard morph for both.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I got my first HR set around with Slugger3 Stamina Thief3 and man, the Khezu fight was kind of sad. After it changed zones the first time, the music never cut back in, and it was just constantly stunned or just standing there in between attacks panting, it only ever used the same really slow moves that let me punish it really hard over and over...just absolutely clowned the thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

IAfter it changed zones the first time, the music never cut back in,

That's a shame, Khezu's theme kicks rear end.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
4 player hub quests are such a clusterfuck, can't even see my character

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

suuma posted:

I wish when creating a mission people can join you could set the max amount allowed. Against smaller monsters with four players and four pets it can be real hard to keep track of what is happening.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

suuma posted:

I absolutely loved multiplayer in World/4U but Ive been doing Hub solo because yeah, the one mission I did join online was completely incomprehensible with four people and their dogs packed around a Kulu Ya Ku spamming particle effects and anime swordfighting moves. I imagine it will get better against some of the harder/larger/faster enemies like Magnamalo.

I will say thought I am kind of feeling the buffed HP pools. I just mentioned my Khezu fight, and before that I did the Tetrahedronmon (sumo alligator guy) and has a pretty similar slamfest of a fight and they still took 15 mins each

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As much as I appreciate being able to have buddies in multiplayer, four players and four buddies is just too chaotic. I wish I could just summon my palamute to ride somewhere and then he'd run off when I dismount or something.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok so I tried a decent amount of switch axe (my main in world) and I just cannot get excited for it. I got the switch art that does the explosion dive which is cool. I guess you can stick the sword in monsters still. I dunno I feel like I’m missing something

I’m going back to Hammer for now but it is a bit disappointing. Next weapon I’ll try is Gunlance

I never played switch axe much before, gave it a try today and while I like it, I feel like both sword and axe mode each need one extra combo or attack type? It's a lot of doing the same few swipes over and over.

I mean it's an axe, only so much you can do with it, but hunting horn has like four different ground pounds and multiple ways to combo out of a pound, for example.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bring a cat cowards

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

lets hang out posted:

bring a cat cowards

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Made a Recoil Down 3 / Reload Speed 2 / Evade Extender 2 set for Mag LBG and its juicy level 3 ammos. I don't remember GU letting you get that many skills or that coherent a set in LR. I love that Rise is more giving in so many ways.

Harrow posted:

I always forget about that one! Probably more fun that way, too, especially if you have a source of the Mind's Eye effect (either the skill or you're rocking a hunting horn or something).

Plus you're ok just ignoring the negative affinity and treating the weapon as a lower damage equivalent as Mechafunkzilla said. There's no inherent downside to leaving affinity negative beyond the (linear) damage decrease so you may be better off slotting in some other skills.

Sharpness is a nice bump in damage and may also prevent bouncing in many situations if you're high enough, which is great.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Bring a gathering cat because having the extra materials will save you more time over the long run than the dog will, especially once you unlock all the camps.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So just to be sure, the last new monster to fight currently is Narwa right? I was expecting an abrupt non "ending" from the reviews but that was especially abrupt as were most of the big plot moments which isn't a huge deal in MH but is still odd. Feels really weird having a big question mark to the right of the weapon trees still. I was really surprised you don't get to wyvern ride Narwa into the dragonator or some other monster shredding machine either, that felt like a thing that was definitely going to happen given it's one of the big new mechanics, disregard if you can and I just never got it to happen.

Overall I really enjoyed what's there and some of the later HR fights are insanely incredible, I've certainly gotten my moneys worth several times over but right now it's missing some of that secret sauce that World had that kept me going for a long time. Curious what the first couple patches will look like, the April one says it's adding "multiple monsters" and they've shown Chameleos and an Apex variant I'm forgetting right now but I'm hoping for a surprise couple of others that feel like pretty obvious omissions right now.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I loved SnS in World, but kind of bounced off it in the demo.

Then in Rise when I beat Somnacanthe I realized I could make a basic sleep bombing set, and decided to give SnS another shot and boy howdy it loving owns. Just constant aggression, and the Drill Slash Combo switch Skill is so satisfying. Seems too slow to spam on its own, but it's definitely worth ending a combo with it, especially since you can combo it into the back hop.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Good call on dash breaker being better on the quick guys I’ll definitely try it out there. Some of those guys are a nightmare with hammer

Magnamalo was a chore when I was trying to fight him with spinning bludgeon because nearly everything he does is anti-air. But then I learned two things:

1) He's basically a fire kitty Velkhana, nearly everything he does is super linear. But unlike Velkhana, he loves moving to his left and his attacks nearly always come from his right side. So if you're always moving to your left, 95% of everything he does will miss you every time.

2) All of his big, slow boomy booms? Dash Breaker gets you inside them and bonking him on the noodle while he's still standing around and waiting for them to go off. :haw:

Dash Breaker also avoids Nargacuga's apparently terrible aerial hitboxes too, and there's just something amusing about watching a Barioth jump back to hock an ice loogie at you and dashing through it to bop him on the nose.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 3, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm taking a monhun break to get my first covid shot. I'm kinda hoping i feel like hell tomorrow so I can hunt mons all day.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm taking a monhun break to get my first covid shot. I'm kinda hoping i feel like hell tomorrow so I can hunt mons all day.

Good luck. I got my first shot yesterday and I feel ok today but my arm is extremely sore. Take some Advil tomorrow

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

In Training posted:

That's a shame, Khezu's theme kicks rear end.

lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
followed that 300k zenny route video that was posted earlier, and now my money problems are over

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is what I get for jumping into someone's rampage urgent when they're on the last wave.

https://twitter.com/mmmossy/status/1378427272969945089

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Who at Capcom thought this game needed Jyuratodos when it already has Almudron

One mud dragon at a time, please, I'm begging you

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

Who at Capcom thought this game needed Jyuratodos when it already has Almudron

One mud dragon at a time, please, I'm begging you

Is Jyura HR only? Did I miss it in LR somehow? Did they seriously make Jyura HR only? :psyduck:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jyura is not only HR only, it's an urgent monster.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Jyura is just muddy plesioth, bring back the booty-bumpin fish!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Jyuratodos actually felt like fight in this game compared to World. He wasn’t super hard or anything, but it at least feels like he could kill you if you didn’t fight back.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Did other monhuns have monster and zone intros? I have only played 4U and GU prior to Rise and I don't remember. I love the monster intros, especially the cheesy poems.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

4u had whole cutscenes that featured your created character, and in the hub they'd show the whole group. gen had very simple, quick ones because it just has so many monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPTTHHWIW4

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jyuratodos was annoying as hell tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Legendary high rank powerhouse Jyuratodus.

Edit: I also love that the Rath pair's closest living relative is Yian Kut-Ku.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 3, 2021