Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you have a motorcycle, why would you want an e-bicycle? I can understand the appeal of an electric-assisted full suspension mountain bike, but not road bikes, unless you have mobility issues and can’t ride a normal bicycle easily or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Bicycles are cool too. You should keep your sick takes to motorcycles though since it looks like your bicycle knowledge is limited.

Bicycles are most definitely not cool, I thought it was clear from my post. They also have their own forum to be uncool in!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toe Rag posted:

If you have a motorcycle, why would you want an e-bicycle? I can understand the appeal of an electric-assisted full suspension mountain bike, but not road bikes, unless you have mobility issues and can’t ride a normal bicycle easily or something.

Some people commute 10+ miles with some mild hills and dont want to arrive all sweaty and gross. There are plenty foot paths a bicycle can take that a motorcycle would be unwelcome. Also maybe you just love spandex and fruity cocktails.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bicycles are just motorcycles that give you access to more pizza and beer.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Toe Rag posted:

Because maybe you've gotten emaciated chicken legs from taking the motorbike everywhere and parking literally directly in front of any place you want to go and so don't walk anywhere anymore, and feel like getting some exercise in a package that lets you give up and go home when you hit the wall instead of being stranded in the middle of nowhere dog tired but forced to keep going anyway like you would have been with a pedal-only bicycle.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

Bicycles are cool too. You should keep your sick takes to motorcycles though since it looks like your bicycle knowledge is limited.

he is very angry and has opinions :D

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Bicycles are most definitely not cool, I thought it was clear from my post. They also have their own forum to be uncool in!

Bicycles are very cool.
E-bicycles are very cool too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fat tired bikes rule. That WR conversion rules and any other kits to put hilarious wide tires on dirt bikes also rule

The gently caress is wrong with you guys?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The kids are wrong?

Wrt e-bikes: I have never seen a good one. I have no doubt they exist, but all the ones I've been exposed to have been incredibly poorly built in every way and I'm not sure if it's even possible to profitably build one that isn't garbage and doesn't cost ten grand. I don't think that's an e-bike specific problem though.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 3, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

You should try en e-assist bicycle, they're a blast, even if you're an able bodied, experienced cyclist. If you're near a bike shop that sells specialized, pop in and see if they have a Como for you to try out. I could ramble on about this and that, but i promise you'll get it after a 5 minute test ride. I'm not specifically shilling for specialized try any bicycle brand that you have close by, but of the ones I tried, they are the smoothest in the transition between assist and your own pedal power (partially because they don't use an off the shelf bosch motor). Smoothness contributes to a great experience imo.

Slavvy is right that there are a lot of junky ones out there. Really good ones will come from a bicycle manufacturer (so you have support and warranty for the electronics through whatever shop you bought it from) and will cost 3-6k USD.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 3, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the issue is that other things that are really cool also cost 3-6k

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah like motorcycles.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Yeah like motorcycles.

emphasis on the plurality of motorcycles

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've heard of people owning multiple multi thousand dollar things in different categories of activity/hobby/lifestyle thing.

I'm kind of surprised there is not more crossover, although sounds like at least a few people posting here partake in both.

There are many locality specific factors that influence choices, but where I live, an e assist bike makes a lot of sense (more than a motorcycle even) if going just by utility and ease of use for daily transport.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 3, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy mate, you need to go on a demo day for an electric bicycle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Slavvy mate, you need to go on a demo day for an electric bicycle.

Why? I have motorbikes. I am far more likely to get a normal bicycle, for fitness reasons. I can't see any reason for an e-bike because I'm not an inner city commuter or old person.

Also idk how they do it there but there's no demo days for pushbikes here afaik you just go to the shop and ask them for a turn.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't want a pedal assist bike because I feel like it's cheating and I could never go back. I'll ride my hardtail up the hills myself to earn the beer and pizza. If I vomit doing so, that's just more room for beer and pizza.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah like motorcycles.

What about ones with uncivilized tires?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
My city has those dockless e-bicycles all over the place. I've used them a handful of times and can definitely see the appeal. They're great for biking when you don't feel like biking i.e. I'm heading home after a long day at work and don't feel like exerting myself and don't want to wait in traffic.

Everyone I know who owns one *loves* it. But I wouldn't buy one myself, especially at current prices.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T Zero posted:

My city has those dockless e-bicycles all over the place. I've used them a handful of times and can definitely see the appeal. They're great for biking when you don't feel like biking i.e. I'm heading home after a long day at work and don't feel like exerting myself and don't want to wait in traffic.

Everyone I know who owns one *loves* it. But I wouldn't buy one myself, especially at current prices.

there are some "reasonably" priced ones out there.
I have only heard good things from people who bought these
https://csc-ebikes.com/power-e-bikes/
Fat tires too

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Gearing up to make my first big boy bike purchase next week. I’ve finally got sick of the little problems here and there with my VFR and I’ve never spent more than 2500 on a bike so it’s time to do it right.

I spent all week chasing Monster 1200’s that kept getting sold before I showed up but got to take a ‘21 MT-10 out and I think it’s the one. I’m a sucker for motors with some character so I really was hoping to find a used M1200, Super Duke or a Tuono but price and maintenance concerns have put me off a bit. I really didn’t want to like the MT-10 but honestly it fits just right and felt/sounds great.

Anyone have any experience with these that could chime in? Primarily going to be for fun in the mountains and sub-300mi trips around the PNW.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

What about ones with uncivilized tires?

Look this is very straightforward: motorbikes are the best. The absolute shittiest motorbike, regardless of any design details like tyres, is still better than a car. Cars are definitely the worst. Bicycles are somewhere in-between, definitely easily worse than motorbikes but better than a car. Again, the details don't matter because a bike is fundamentally superior to a car even if it runs on protein shakes and lycra.

So in a way all two wheeled vehicles are different points on a continuum; I look down on bicycles but I'd have one over a car if there was literally no other two wheeled option, because it's still a bike at the end of the day.

Oh and just coincidentally: today I helped a mate unearth a mountain bike he hasn't used in half a decade, a conversation ensued about used bicycles wherein he convinced me to spend a hundy on a fixer upper and get some exercise. So I'm not that bad.

Quite A Tool posted:

Gearing up to make my first big boy bike purchase next week. I’ve finally got sick of the little problems here and there with my VFR and I’ve never spent more than 2500 on a bike so it’s time to do it right.

I spent all week chasing Monster 1200’s that kept getting sold before I showed up but got to take a ‘21 MT-10 out and I think it’s the one. I’m a sucker for motors with some character so I really was hoping to find a used M1200, Super Duke or a Tuono but price and maintenance concerns have put me off a bit. I really didn’t want to like the MT-10 but honestly it fits just right and felt/sounds great.

Anyone have any experience with these that could chime in? Primarily going to be for fun in the mountains and sub-300mi trips around the PNW.

They are brilliant, you'll be fine, drastically better choice than the others if you like having a bike that works most of the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m with slavvy in that I believe even the most garbage motorcycle is still cool in its own way and all motorcycles are inherently cooler than cars at a mechanical and personal level for me.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m with slavvy in that I believe even the most garbage motorcycle is still cool in its own way and all motorcycles are inherently cooler than cars at a mechanical and personal level for me.

do scooters and mopeds count?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Scooters are just tiny camp motorbikes.

Mopeds are the literal missing link to bridge the gap between meat and petrol power so naturally only weirdos are into them but they're fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

Absolutely

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

DUIcycles? :whitewater:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I assume e-bicycles are the new DUI bikes? If I couldn't operate a vehicle that required a license they seem like the obvious choice.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

I assume e-bicycles are the new DUI bikes? If I couldn't operate a vehicle that required a license they seem like the obvious choice.

Not necessarily...they still have a motor, and would count as a 'motor vehicle'.

Edit: I guess with a DUI, you've already lost your license and (most) e-bikes don't seem to need a driver's license.

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 5, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure you can still get a DUI on a bicycle in my state if you're on the road.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Tyro posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still get a DUI on a bicycle in my state if you're on the road.

You can get a DUI on anything. You just don't get to lose a license if you don't have one

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nitrox posted:

You can get a DUI on anything. You just don't get to lose a license if you don't have one

You still have your privilege to drive suspended by the state whether you have a license or not. Driving on suspended status is much worse than driving without a license in my state.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

This is the kind of thing that varies vastly by jurisdiction, even more between countries I'd wager.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

In the Netherlands, people who cycle around after midnight in a city, can be assumed to be drunk. There aren't many options to get around town or get home when you go out to the bars or a club or whatever - we don't really have proper night time public transport, though the biggest cities may have an hourly or two-hourly service to the suburbs that takes twice as long as cycling. Taxis are unrealistically expensive. Walking is often too big of a distance. So what's left, is the bicycle, unless you wait until 05:30 or so and take the first bus in the morning. But with many places closing at 01.00 on weekdays, 04.00 on weekends, most people prefer cycling home.

Strictly speaking, it's illegal to be drunk on your bicycle. But in practice, it's no problem. Cyclists are never stopped for random breathalyzer tests. The only reason you'd get in trouble, is if you cause an accident.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Slavvy posted:

They are brilliant, you'll be fine, drastically better choice than the others if you like having a bike that works most of the time.

That seems to be the consensus everywhere I’ve looked, minus the pretty poor range. I did get a bit of a shock when I ran insurance quotes and it’s quite a bit more than the M1200S costs to insure. Must be that intersection of power and affordability that’s not doing it any favors.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Continuing the Goldwing chat from the other thread, take a look at this one:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/277423003998101/

A 1991 Honda GL1500SE Goldwing in gold/brown. 27000 miles. £5295.

It seems decent.

How are the GL 1500 generation?

Comfy, good for 10000 motorway miles per annum, rain, snow, sun?

Give me your thoughts. 5 grand for a 'wing seems very nice.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
2 wheels good. 3 or more wheels bad.

any bicycle > klr650.
Specialized turbo levo > some random dirtbike on cl/fbm/kijiji/offerup with unknown history that is going to 100% explode by the second ride.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the turbo levo is so so good

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steakandchips posted:

Continuing the Goldwing chat from the other thread, take a look at this one:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/277423003998101/

A 1991 Honda GL1500SE Goldwing in gold/brown. 27000 miles. £5295.

It seems decent.

How are the GL 1500 generation?

Comfy, good for 10000 motorway miles per annum, rain, snow, sun?

Give me your thoughts. 5 grand for a 'wing seems very nice.

Never worked on one but it is a bike that I would never want to work on and I own a 90's VFR (SUCKS to work on) and a couple oldwings (actually not too bad, or maybe I have Stockholm Syndrome). They're easily good for 100k miles plus but general maintenance and tire changes etc I assume are complicated processes involving fragile plastic removal, and that means time or expense.

With Goldwings I think you either want to go really old (cheap, simple) or really new (warranty).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'll get the latest gen then most likely, i.e. 2018 or newer, used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think goldwings are overkill for most things and people. Yeah they're the last word in touring blah blah but their logistical and physical footprint is enormous and the newer ones are absolutely infuriating to work on (air filter on a gl1600 involves removing basically all the bodywork on the bike), it simply isn't worth it for most people. You have to either specifically really badly want an Oldwing (people itt) or you're doing international camping journeys regularly (boomers not itt).

I think the slightly smaller class of bike like the fj1300, c14, big ADV's with small wheels etc are much much better for what most people who want a touring bike actually do. More normal proportions, more normal to work on, much nicer in corners and traffic and all the non-continental journeys that comprise 90% of the bike's life.