Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, Keiichi Hasegawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Great start. I'm super curious to see where this is going, but I feel it's going to go places alright. I loved SSSS.Gridman, and I hope I get to love this one just as much - it's clearly doing a lot for me already!

Also I need to link to this Twitter thread, it's an in-depth view of the similarities to the first ep of Gridman and themes in this one, a lot of which I didn't realize. Very interesting!

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1378109836601262085

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh that's neat. I never consciously noticed the "background elements frequently aren't part of the background painting" thing but it explains so much about both series look almost unnaturally vibrant compared to your average anime.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
This first episode triggered all the happy brain juices that good Mecha and Kaiju give me. When Trigger's 'On' they're REALLY good. The attention to detail, the musical accompaniment, I could just sit and watch hours and hours of this and not even notice.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's way too soon to have a really good sample size of clues with the limited screen time, but Chise is already kind of curious to me. No one except Koyomi interacts with Chise in the episode. In the ending, the only time Chise is alone in frame with anyone else is just looking at some girls talking/laughing together the foreground while pressing the piano key. Even when the group is collecting at the end of the sequence, there's no particular indication that Minami or Yomogi are acknowledging Chise since Koyomi's right there, too. The TV program in the room in their introduction scene discuss tombs being dismantled and a new "grave", and Chise reminds Koyomi of a memorial. Most of the scenes focusing on the ankhs transition to or from Chise (the only one that doesn't is when Yomogi is being chased by Gauma and there's a transition to Minami walking down the street - which is also the only time she's not looking at them as part of the transition). Not sure exactly where this line of reasoning goes - if Chise's a ghost or a figment of Koyomi's imagination or something (maybe Chise's the student that committed suicide?). The only implication Chise's even been seen by anyone else is Koyomi saying that "the police get nosy when I walk around with you" which... if he's walking around talking to empty space (from others' perspectives), then he'd still look pretty strange to police.

Anyway, this is the kind of wild speculation that can be easily cleared up in a single episode. Just eagerly awaiting the next one.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hogama posted:

It's way too soon to have a really good sample size of clues with the limited screen time, but Chise is already kind of curious to me. No one except Koyomi interacts with Chise in the episode. In the ending, the only time Chise is alone in frame with anyone else is just looking at some girls talking/laughing together the foreground while pressing the piano key. Even when the group is collecting at the end of the sequence, there's no particular indication that Minami or Yomogi are acknowledging Chise since Koyomi's right there, too. The TV program in the room in their introduction scene discuss tombs being dismantled and a new "grave", and Chise reminds Koyomi of a memorial. Most of the scenes focusing on the ankhs transition to or from Chise (the only one that doesn't is when Yomogi is being chased by Gauma and there's a transition to Minami walking down the street - which is also the only time she's not looking at them as part of the transition). Not sure exactly where this line of reasoning goes - if Chise's a ghost or a figment of Koyomi's imagination or something (maybe Chise's the student that committed suicide?). The only implication Chise's even been seen by anyone else is Koyomi saying that "the police get nosy when I walk around with you" which... if he's walking around talking to empty space (from others' perspectives), then he'd still look pretty strange to police.

Anyway, this is the kind of wild speculation that can be easily cleared up in a single episode. Just eagerly awaiting the next one.

i thought of it as the suicide student was yume's sister and maybe koyomi was her boyfriend or knew or witnessed it which explains why he turned into a neet and would also neatly tie up how all the characters are related

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hogama posted:

Her followup line "no one believes we're cousins" implies more that the police think he's taking advantage of a young girl.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

i thought of it as the suicide student was yume's sister and maybe koyomi was her boyfriend or knew or witnessed it which explains why he turned into a neet and would also neatly tie up how all the characters are related

Yume is in the same class they gossiped about the ghost haunting the school. Since Kayo went to another school, she can't be the suicide they talk about.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Her followup line "no one believes we're cousins" implies more that the police think he's taking advantage of a young girl.
True, though in the wild theory that line wouldn't matter so much.

For a less wild observation:

Ibblebibble posted:

Here's a more high-res picture at least, from the official twitter:

https://twitter.com/SSSS_PROJECT/status/1258675506540494850
Now that we've had a bit of show, looking back at this promo art shows a silhouette on the tower that's not Yume (other shots of the tower in the show don't have shapes between the antennae). I wonder if that's meant to be Kano, or another character (possibly the antagonist?) we've yet to meet.

Lastly, for fun: the Denkou Choujin Gridman episode where the Dragonic Cannon was introduced (later part of Dyna Dragon) had it based on some Chinese artifacts found with a mummy (that gets reanimated as part of the monster of the week plot, naturally). And, well, the bag that Gauma's carrying and its contents...

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Hogama posted:

True, though in the wild theory that line wouldn't matter so much.

For a less wild observation:

Now that we've had a bit of show, looking back at this promo art shows a silhouette on the tower that's not Yume (other shots of the tower in the show don't have shapes between the antennae). I wonder if that's meant to be Kano, or another character (possibly the antagonist?) we've yet to meet.

Lastly, for fun: the Denkou Choujin Gridman episode where the Dragonic Cannon was introduced (later part of Dyna Dragon) had it based on some Chinese artifacts found with a mummy (that gets reanimated as part of the monster of the week plot, naturally). And, well, the bag that Gauma's carrying and its contents...

I love the attention to detail

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know it was like 2 episodes to find out Akane was the antagonist of Gridman and then like another 10 to find out she's the protagonist, but I already feel impatient to see what kind of twists this'll have and if it can live up to Gridman. :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Just like Gridman, Dynazenon is having voice dramas after its episodes with small talk that features the minor characters more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Wva9jrCWY
https://pastebin.com/LmSabUMc
This pastebin's not perfect (translated by ear by someone not confident in all the words, and doesn't assign speaker names) but you can get the basic gist - it's the extended conversation of Yomogi and his group of friends from the beginning of the episode, after they spotted Minami.

Yomogi's pretty kashiwaguilty.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hogama posted:

Just like Gridman, Dynazenon is having voice dramas after its episodes with small talk that features the minor characters more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Wva9jrCWY
https://pastebin.com/LmSabUMc
This pastebin's not perfect (translated by ear by someone not confident in all the words, and doesn't assign speaker names) but you can get the basic gist - it's the extended conversation of Yomogi and his group of friends from the beginning of the episode, after they spotted Minami.

Yomogi's pretty kashiwaguilty.

The most kashiwaguilty.

Also, reddit has it with names attributed. Slightly easier to keep up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thoughts on the potential antagonist

Gauma wondering if they kaiju was sent by "them" makes me think the white-clad people on the poster are the villains,

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

lol cmon

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Spiritus Nox posted:

Special Signature to Save a Soul iirc

I love how they made it so damned cool.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo Gauma rules.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Artum posted:

Holy poo poo Gauma rules.

"There are three things it's important to keep! Promises... um.... love...."

His undying and completely unwanted loyalty to Yomogi is amazing to see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dynazenon will be 12 episodes in total just like the last series:

https://www.ota-suke.jp/news/261479

Well Gridman managed to tell a complete story in just 12 episodes so I’m confident this series will do the same.

I kind of hope they keep doing these shows every so often though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 4, 2021

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Assuming the music during the main battle is what is in the OP, it rocks.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Seems concerns about the characters just being retreads of gridman are unwarranted in any case.

I wasn't really sold on Dynazenon itself when they first showed it off but it works well in motion and the dna of daizyujin definitely shows through. Its kind of curious starting from full powered gridman in terms of capabilities so i wonder where they'll go with it.

Gauma probably is related to the gridman mummy then with all the stuff tied to it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Artum posted:

Gauma probably is related to the gridman mummy then with all the stuff tied to it.
So the story of the mummy in Gridman was that he was a man who could control dragons and met a princess and fell in love with her. He fought for her country and promised to marry her. After saving the country, though, the rest of her family, fearing the man's power, secretly poisoned the man's drink without telling the princess they were doing this. When he was dead, the princess put the artifacts in his coffin (like the dragon statue) and killed herself to follow him into death. (The revived mummy confuses Yuka, the main girl of the cast, for his princess for the episode.)

Apparently the part of the television program that Chise and Koyomi are talking over in their first scene mentions a tomb being robbed (by four people?).

...Y'know, the mummy's supposed to be Chinese, but ankhs being involved in this story...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hogama posted:

So the story of the mummy in Gridman was that he was a man who could control dragons and met a princess and fell in love with her. He fought for her country and promised to marry her. After saving the country, though, the rest of her family, fearing the man's power, secretly poisoned the man's drink without telling the princess they were doing this. When he was dead, the princess put the artifacts in his coffin (like the dragon statue) and killed herself to follow him into death. (The revived mummy confuses Yuka, the main girl of the cast, for his princess for the episode.)

Apparently the part of the television program that Chise and Koyomi are talking over in their first scene mentions a tomb being robbed (by four people?).

...Y'know, the mummy's supposed to be Chinese, but ankhs being involved in this story...

And Gauma's chest is covered in bandages...

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Not to mention that "uses dragons" maps pretty well to "kaiju user".

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
AND the mummy guy had a promise to keep because of love, naturally.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
I finally remembered to re-up my Funimation subscription for this and I was not disappointed. I'm also loving the subtle callbacks everyone is pointing out.

Speaking of which, something else I noticed seemed to be a rivers and flooding theme: there's a "high water" mark that Yomogi steps over before approaching Gauma underneath the bridge, Minami is singing on top of a flood gate, the cast watches the initial kaiju appearance from a river bridge, etc.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

They translated getting more shifts as getting more lessons.
The date talk was also turned from subtext into text.

-e-
Chise keeps calling Koyomi a Hobo in the subs even though she actually says jobless. Neet would have been fine.

-e2-
I was watching a different version that was way worse.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 4, 2021

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

They translated getting more shifts as getting more lessons.
The date talk was also turned from subtext into text.

???

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Seems like they fixed it or there are different scripts.

-e-
Yeah, different script:

-e2-
gently caress those are bad, I'm switching.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 4, 2021

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Very interesting first episode, my biggest theory/guess about the start of this is Minami's sister committed suicide by jumping off that tower, so it ties into both why she sits up there and told Yomogi to meet her there. Can't go much farther on that since I don't think they mentioned where she would tell the other boys to meet her, but it seems prevalent enough to have good deal of importance.

Feels like both Yomogi and Minami have parental issues they're gonna have to deal with.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Overlord K posted:

Very interesting first episode, my biggest theory/guess about the start of this is Minami's sister committed suicide by jumping off that tower, so it ties into both why she sits up there and told Yomogi to meet her there. Can't go much farther on that since I don't think they mentioned where she would tell the other boys to meet her, but it seems prevalent enough to have good deal of importance.

Feels like both Yomogi and Minami have parental issues they're gonna have to deal with.

Maybe her sister's date didn't show up and she jumped?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Lurking Haro posted:

Seems like they fixed it or there are different scripts.

-e-
Yeah, different script:

-e2-
gently caress those are bad, I'm switching.

"House" is still bad, it's an office building, they show it on screen.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

cave emperor posted:

"House" is still bad, it's an office building, they show it on screen.

But that line is literally what she says? And shes referencing the various thing seen floating on the TV.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Artum posted:

But that line is literally what she says? And shes referencing the various thing seen floating on the TV.

She uses the word "biru", which just means building, not house.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Where is this one showing? Evidently not CR or Funi.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Huh, I could have sworn it was up on Funi’s website

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

It’s on Funimation’s site in the UK I can tell you that much.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Where you at? It's on Funimation but behind the paywall last I checked

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

https://www.funimation.com/shows/ssssdynazenon/?qid=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Huh. It does show up if you search, but it's not on Funi's front page for some reason.