Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I’m a sucker for that kind of thing, honestly. Everyone knows the group’s secret identities, but pretends not to in the most unconvincing ways because A) they’re good kids just trying to make the world a little better, and B) gently caress cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

PMush Perfect posted:

I’m a sucker for that kind of thing, honestly. Everyone knows the group’s secret identities, but pretends not to in the most unconvincing ways because A) they’re good kids just trying to make the world a little better, and B) gently caress cops.

Also at least by the point where he's captured Joker's identity is at least some form of official government information. That's why they have government operatives following him in both the original and Royal ending anime, as well as why he's a known first suspect by the point of Strikers.

Plus frankly people close to Joker working it out isn't particularly surprising, I could easily imagine Shiho also works it out or is told by Ann because duh. Close friends/"confidants" working it out or being told is reasonable, but Tokyo is a massive city with an immense population so it's kind of reasonable that they still manage to be relatively secret.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

Strikers pretty much has the cops being very aware, too.
By the end of base P5 the cops absolutely know; Joker gets caught (on purpose) and also then later turns himself in to act as a witness against Shido or something.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
With the notable exception of Tora most of the Confidants figure it out because whenever they complain about the person ruining their life, Joker asks for the name and then a few days later they coincidentally have a complete change of attitude.

:thunk:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I was thinking Futaba's VA sounds too old for a supposed 15-year old, then I looked her up and found out she also was the VA for Jessie in FF7R. No wonder she sounded familiar as well.

As an aside, I discovered I still have 57 sooty clothing - Kawakami's gonna be doing laundry until she's old and grey. :laffo:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

anakha posted:

I was thinking Futaba's VA sounds too old for a supposed 15-year old, then I looked her up and found out she also was the VA for Jessie in FF7R. No wonder she sounded familiar as well.

As an aside, I discovered I still have 57 sooty clothing - Kawakami's gonna be doing laundry until she's old and grey. :laffo:

Are you playing Royal? Don’t bother doing laundry then, just sell that poo poo to the secondhand clothes shop in Kichijoji.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you playing Royal? Don’t bother doing laundry then, just sell that poo poo to the secondhand clothes shop in Kichijoji.

Isn't it worth more if I clean it up then sell at the Airsoft shop?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Probably, but your time is infinitely more valuable than the extra cash you get from cleaning all of that up. Even if you have Kawakami do it, that’s still many nights she’s not making you coffee or curry.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also the points you get for selling sooty clothes at the secondhand clothes shop can be used to get really useful consumables like items that cast Debilitate.

It's worth doing a small amount of laundry towards the end because it's how you get Morgana's best armor, but otherwise you're better off selling to the secondhand shop.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Also the points you get for selling sooty clothes at the secondhand clothes shop can be used to get really useful consumables like items that cast Debilitate.

It's worth doing a small amount of laundry towards the end because it's how you get Morgana's best armor, but otherwise you're better off selling to the secondhand shop.

Yep this is the right way to do it in Royal

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

And even if you don't then four old clothes to the standards of the current palace are better than five washed pieces of sooty laundry from the previous one. Also money shouldn't be an issue other than for heavy fusions after about the third palace thanks to how easy it is to get in Mementos with the instakills. (The first, definitely. The second yes - mostly thanks to that lump of rocksalt)

quote:

It's worth doing a small amount of laundry towards the end because it's how you get Morgana's best armor

This assumes that you ever put Morgana in the fight that late in the first place.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Well, bummer to learn I wasted a Sunday doing laundry

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should do everything at least once. You'll have plenty of time. Don't sweat a bit of inneficiancy

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Y'all weren't kidding about the cognitive (heh) dissonance between social link Ryuji and main story Ryuji. The former is a lot more empathetic and likeable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he’s also great in Strikers because he’s not made to play the fool every time the story needs a new contrivance

Malah
May 18, 2015

But more importantly: does he finally get to say gently caress?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yes he does

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

This assumes that you ever put Morgana in the fight that late in the first place.

I wanted to get everyone's best gear anyway, for the hell of it :v:

I also cycled everyone around a lot in the third semester because I thought it'd be nice to give every character one last run in the group just for fun.

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Well, bummer to learn I wasted a Sunday doing laundry

Yeah don't worry about that at all. I did laundry a few times just for the Thieves Den award you get and still had time to both max all confidants and have like a full month of free time. P5R is very forgiving with time management, especially once you unlock the fortune teller confidant.

Just make sure you get the Councillor confidant to rank 9 by November 17 and everything else is pretty chill. Faith and Justice also have really interesting things so you should prioritize maxing them early, but they're slightly less mandatory.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 3, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/bubblebrow/status/1259155385254060033?s=21

I feel this comic because I definitely called Makoto a narc repeatedly until she joined my team

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
One of the ones you should do that isn't mandatory is very easy to do. Also the moment you start it there will be clearly something up with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

One of the ones you should do that isn't mandatory is very easy to do. Also the moment you start it there will be clearly something up with it.

All of the new Royal confidants are super easy to rank up, too. They shower you with points every time so you never have to do a non-rank up hangout.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

DC Murderverse posted:

I feel this comic because I definitely called Makoto a narc repeatedly until she joined my team

Hmm, I just saved on 05/06. Amazing how topical this is

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
So I finally beat shadow Okumura in royal on my like 6th try. it was bullshit

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Narc-oto is :kiss:

EDIT: That entire twitter account is gold.

https://twitter.com/bubblebrow/status/1378424093398069252

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 4, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally finished P5R!

Overall, I liked it more than P5, which was already a game I liked. That being said, even putting aside the biggest issues with P5 that P5R couldn't realistically fix without being a new game, I don't think it improved on everything it could've and added in some new problems.

(Going to try to avoid spoiling major stuff but scroll past if you haven't finished P5R yet and don't want to be spoiled, obviously)

I liked the new characters a fair bit. Maruki got a good amount of screen time, I liked how he had therapy sessions with the Phantom Thieves that you can see even if Joker would never know about them.

I particularly liked Kasumi, but her presence in the story is... Odd. I feel like the devs saw that Marie was divisive and decided to shill Kasumi a little less (even though they still do it a fair bit) but then it just makes it incredibly weird because by the end of the game, the only people who have actually talked to Kasumi beyond "oh hi" are Joker, Akechi and Morgana so when she's suddenly treated like being part of the group it's just... Kinda weird? Her confidant being broken up into two halves kinda hurts her too. It would've probably been better if she actually got a full 10 events.

New Mementos stuff is basically a total improvement, but I hate the stamp collection being kinda luck based so you have to sometimes just drive up and down to get the last 5 stamps or whatever.

The non-dungeon stuff in the last semester starts off really strong with how you can't fast travel and you're running through the dark school, then that atmosphere kinda falls apart.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Coincidentally I’m just wrapping up my P5R playthrough as well. What an absolutely fantastic game from start to finish. I loved every second of it. I didn’t think it was possible for the game to feel this fresh after having played P5 back at launch, but they did an incredible job with Royal.

The combat changes were so well thought out and implemented I was thrilled. Making guns actually useful and interesting was a big deal. Flourishes like the team up moves and the third Personas were excellent. I liked the ability system a lot, especially toward the end when I was fusing to finish the compendium minus Satanael. Fusion Alarms were another fantastic addition. The updates to the other Phantom Thieves combat abilities did an excellent job of making them feel relevant right up to and in the final boss battle. Oh and I enjoyed collecting Will Seeds in each palace.

Absolutely loved Kasumi and thought they did a pretty good job with Maruki. I also found myself surprised how much I liked the Akechi redemption arc. I loathed him in P5, but I loved all the Royal exclusive character flourishes. Easily the coolest team up move too.

Base P5 was comfortably my second favorite game of all time trailing only Persona 3, mostly because P3 was the first Persona title for me. P5R is a vastly superior version of my second favorite game of all time. What an incredible ride that was. Oh and it was even a super easy platinum, almost all the trophies just fell into my lap from naturally playing the game.

I think next on the agenda is FF7R for a change of pace. Hopefully by the time I’m done Persona 5 Strikers will get it’s first discount.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 4, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The palace 5 boss isn't that bad once you know what to do but it wasn't a great move to make a boss which extremely specifically relied on baton pass boosts in a game which simply doesn't really get that tactical 95% of the time

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's been really hard for me to decide on Strikers vs. Royal, because they both do an excellent job. Like I give a slight edge to Strikers because they fix a lot of issues that people had with P5 like a lack of group interaction that Royal still didn't quite land, but P5 laid the groundwork for a lot of that in the first place and Strikers has the benefit of working with a smaller cast and without having to juggle things like Social Links and overly Joker-centric gameplay. Royal's ending lands much stronger for me, so... hard to say.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's been really hard for me to decide on Strikers vs. Royal, because they both do an excellent job. Like I give a slight edge to Strikers because they fix a lot of issues that people had with P5 like a lack of group interaction that Royal still didn't quite land, but P5 laid the groundwork for a lot of that in the first place and Strikers has the benefit of working with a smaller cast and without having to juggle things like Social Links and overly Joker-centric gameplay. Royal's ending lands much stronger for me, so... hard to say.

Both the Royal third semester and Strikers are really good follow-ups to P5. I figure they're both going to end up being canon in the long run--just takes a couple minor handwaves to make it make sense--but yeah it's hard to pick a better one. Royal has I think the better plot and ending, Strikers has the group hangouts and developed group dynamic we've always wanted from P5.

I hope there's a Strikers 2 so we can have more of that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the translation and dubbing, apart from COVID technical-related hiccups, are much much better in Strikers, and it makes a big difference with the perception of grout dynamics i think

you already did see the translation improve in the new Royal content but that was mostly focused on a few non-core characters

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh one more important endgame P5R thought:

Sumire is way cuter when she dresses like herself than when she's dressed as Kasumi

I also teared up a bit at the little kid who's dog came back to life, as my dog is getting near the end of his life.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 4, 2021

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The palace 5 boss isn't that bad once you know what to do but it wasn't a great move to make a boss which extremely specifically relied on baton pass boosts in a game which simply doesn't really get that tactical 95% of the time

yeah plus they changed the rules for the fight. No all-out attacks, sometimes no credit for killing part of a wave

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Acerbatus posted:

I also teared up a bit at the little kid who's dog came back to life, as my dog is getting near the end of his life.

the one part of this game that actually pushed me to the verge of tears was the Mementos request about the woman who was kidnapping cats, because the easiest way to make me cry like a baby is to hurt a cat, and her story about the little Snowball kitten was so sad. A lot of the people in the mementos requests ranged from "misguided" to "huge loving rear end in a top hat" to "sociopath" but hers was the one that touched me the most. I hope Morgana goes and visits her regularly.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I just unlocked Death Rank 5, and can buy some SP patches (expensive!!) What’s the best way to get enough to outfit my squad with those ASAP?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just unlocked Death Rank 5, and can buy some SP patches (expensive!!) What’s the best way to get enough to outfit my squad with those ASAP?

Get to Death Rank 7 and they're half-off. Alternatively, if you're playing Royal, the accessories that give you skills are just better than SP regen.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Things like the Atomic Ring, yea?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah. I left the Kamoshida Will Seed accessory that gives you a combined Diarama + Tarukaja on Ryuji for most of the game. If you want to buy a couple of SP Adhesives anyway, go nuts, they're just no longer mandatory for every scenario and you don't need one for every party member anymore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Things like the Atomic Ring, yea?

Yeah, also the accessories that you get from getting all the Will Seeds in a Palace.

I like the SP regen accessories for sustain while I'm going through a dungeon (they make it effortless to do dungeons in the minimum number of days) but the skill accessories are really nice when conserving SP isn't your main goal. A couple SP patches are nice to have just to let someone regen SP for a bit, though.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I didn’t do the Kamoshida Will Seed :cry:

I did get the Madarame one though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn’t do the Kamoshida Will Seed :cry:

I did get the Madarame one though

I don't really use the Kamoshida one, but there are some later ones that are incredibly useful, so try to get all the Will Seeds from here onward. The two I would definitely recommend making sure you get are in the fifth Palace (Okumura) and the seventh (Shido). I found those really helpful in endgame boss fights--they let you use Concentrate (next spell does x2.5 damage) and Charge (next physical attack does x2.5 damage), respectively, on a targeted party member. The fourth Palace one is nice, too, since it can cure ailments for the whole party.