Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
One of the vendors we work with was very surprised we wanted to do an end to end test of our integration with them before going live. I guess they usually just assume it will work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
told the client facing team that "customized reporting for our customers is not actually something we should offer to do and is actually a pretty huge liability. If they insist we should at least invoice them for our time etc..." and they acted like I suggested we burn down their office which means they almost certainly already promised it for free in two days or some poo poo.
Meanwhile a bunch of new automated metrics have been implemented to see where our time goes etc.. but it doesn't have a data point for, "doing poo poo for free based on a promise from someone in client support" which would probably be useful information.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

in a job market where qualified people are backed out the door and around the corner, metaphorically, for any opening whatsoever and we can get the pick of the crop
we got a temp that lasted two days.

l o l
I complain about this place a lot but times like this it loops back around into hilarity.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

dick wizard posted:

told the client facing team that "customized reporting for our customers is not actually something we should offer to do and is actually a pretty huge liability. If they insist we should at least invoice them for our time etc..." and they acted like I suggested we burn down their office which means they almost certainly already promised it for free in two days or some poo poo.
Meanwhile a bunch of new automated metrics have been implemented to see where our time goes etc.. but it doesn't have a data point for, "doing poo poo for free based on a promise from someone in client support" which would probably be useful information.

Lol just lol if every single new client doesn't involve customizing huge aspects of your system because sales says yes to everything.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Our previously approved intern was just cut from the budget. Need to free up some more money to expand the marketing team by another 50%!@

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

ben shapino posted:

any particular recommendations? or just start with my gut and throw monday.com out there?
Monday.com is literally just excel with a pretty ui and less powerful macro support. AVOID.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

nexus6 posted:

I'm sorry, did you work here in the 70s?

Some things are timeless.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ben shapino posted:

question since this seems to be the kind of thread that might have suggestions for this kind of thing

does anyone have project management software recommendations for a tech/web and mobile development company that handles multiple teams, clients, and cadences under one overlying product? we use JIRA for all our dev work but our overall management is extremely lacking; our PM uses multiple google Sheets with multiple pages on each to track everything in different formats all over the place. it's a god drat nightmare.

i keep wanting to suggest trying out something like monday.com to handle the overview and keep all our teams in sync on projects without expecting like the Sales team to comb through JIRA and see what's going on.

any particular recommendations? or just start with my gut and throw monday.com out there?

I’ve been beta testing hive for our org and i like it so far. Asana plays well with jira and its pretty good. Stay the gently caress away from Rally PPM

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My employer is insanely stingey about software licenses. I have made myself indispensable to our client-facing operations because I can edit PDFs.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rent-A-Cop posted:

My employer is insanely stingey about software licenses. I have made myself indispensable to our client-facing operations because I can edit PDFs.

Ah, a fellow practitioner of the dark arts of the PDF!

I also do basically anything that needs doing in Adobe suite. Even though I really don't know poo poo about it and everything I do know I just taught myself in the moment. People act like it's some kind of mystical knowledge known only to a select few

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

Well, I assume this is correct. When you feed an animal it'll eventually get full* and refuse to eat. At this point it's 'fed up' and just not interested in eating and will refuse to take any more.

So if I'm fed up with Son of Rodney's shitposting it means I've endured as much as I can and just can't handle any more. Fed up.

Sorry if this was completely obvious to everyone else but I'm delighted to understand another facet of my idiotic native language.

*unless it's a labrador which will eat until it dies because they are lovely animals but dumb as rocks when it comes to gastrointestinal concerns.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/fed%20up posted:

The phrase comes from the idea of being overly full, or "satiated with food." It became popular in the eighteenth century to describe lazy rich people as being fed up, or "fed up to the eyeballs." The sense of having too much of something extends to today's fed up.

So, close!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Probably fake, but lol nonetheless.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A year and a month since we started working from home.
Company decides to send out a 'how to work from home safely' video.

We can only assume that someone had an accident recently, and this is their way to dodge any future claims.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

happyhippy posted:

We can only assume that someone had an accident recently, and this is their way to dodge any future claims.

*video of a coworker sitting in the tub, work laptop plugged and floating on a dinner tray* "Do not do this."

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Probably fake, but lol nonetheless.

Someone finally changed the world from the inside

By god

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

dick wizard posted:

lmao If you're in a company like mine where we have thousands of customers, we flat out tell every single person that we won't do any custom reporting.

happyhippy posted:

What was the content of it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

stump collector posted:

Someone finally changed the world from the inside

By god

I want it to be real and I want it to be about a video game.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

lmao If you're in a company like mine where we have thousands of customers
We're in the top 10 on the Fortune list and have over 40k customers.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

dick wizard posted:

We're in the top 10 on the Fortune list and have over 40k customers.

People who agree to things like this without actually checking with the department that would have to do it deserve to be fed into a wood chipper. Legs first.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

People who agree to things like this without actually checking with the department that would have to do it deserve to be fed into a wood chipper. Legs first.

Absolutely agree and tbh they probably will. The client services/sales/marketing teams all have huge turn over because those jobs attract people who think they need to prove themselves and they try to make waves/take the Initiative and get things done which is pretty much the last thing you should be trying to do at a company like this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

AHH F/UGH posted:

What was the content of it

Work if you can in a quiet area.
Work at an office like desk if you can.
Keep your work and personnel life separate.
etc
No, no mention of any help from us, just do these no matter the state of your house or possibility.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Reporting time is really fun, I've spent today running a search that takes about 5 hours in our SIEM program to work out how many logs were collected total last month for a single item on some goofy chart in a report no one will read, this is very important and has crashed the last 4 times i tried to do it usually in the low 30% range of completion. this is going to have to be done by nights lol.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Meme Poker Party posted:

I want it to be real and I want it to be about a video game.

This McRib obsession has gone too far.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I've decided I'm putting in my two weeks Monday. I don't have another job lined up and I don't give a poo poo. I have enough in the bank to ride out the rest of the year if needed, and I'll be able to find temp work quickly enough. I know its stupid to leave a job without another lined up, but im in such a bad place mentally right now that I need to make some sort of change. I dread going into work and have so much anxiety and grief from it that leaving is necessary for my well being.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

I've decided I'm putting in my two weeks Monday. I don't have another job lined up and I don't give a poo poo. I have enough in the bank to ride out the rest of the year if needed, and I'll be able to find temp work quickly enough. I know its stupid to leave a job without another lined up, but im in such a bad place mentally right now that I need to make some sort of change. I dread going into work and have so much anxiety and grief from it that leaving is necessary for my well being.

Glad you're taking your mental wellbeing into consideration. I hope you find a better job quickly so you don't have to stress about that too much.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

titty_baby_ posted:

I did that last January and immediately found a job with better pay, more interesting stuff to do, and a way better atmosphere. It's worth it, my anxiety and general happiness have both improved tremendously since then. Good luck!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

titty_baby_ posted:

If your account can 9 months of job hunting you'll be fine. Just avoid the he temptation to burn bridges if you might need them later. Goon speed!

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Jeza posted:

Currently contracted to the largest company I've ever worked for. Big billions and offices in scores of countries etc. Honestly pretty surprised how not terrible a lot of stuff is, but they have this bizarro thing where there are so many overlapping internal software processes. Like multiple document sharing/editing methods and so on. And part of that is they have like 5 ways to contact people, and different generations of employees have personal preferences, so you have to have like 3 chat apps, comment notifications and email open at all times.
Let me guess, you work for Lenovo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

happyhippy posted:

Work if you can in a quiet area.
Work at an office like desk if you can.
Keep your work and personnel life separate.
etc
No, no mention of any help from us, just do these no matter the state of your house or possibility.

I'm guessing someone got carpal tunnel from using a laptop for 8 hours every day while slouched in bed or something

titty_baby_ posted:

I've decided I'm putting in my two weeks Monday.

Excellent news. :toot:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

titty_baby_ posted:

This is incredible, good for you. I wish I had done this as soon as I knew helljob was hopeless, and when the mental and emotional health effects started happening / worsening.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Glad you're taking your mental wellbeing into consideration.

I am practically begging those people lurking this thread or actively posting in it, if you are in these kinds of situations, please, please consider your mental and emotional health. Abusive, terrible workplaces - as well as the self doubt and insecurity you may have within yourself already - will twist you into thinking that you have no other options, that your resume isn't good enough, that you have to put up with what you've got. No amount of money is worth it - I know that's a privileged thing to say, as there aren't always better jobs available that pay what you need to survive - but please evaluate how much that money would really do, versus what the job is taking from you. I am currently working through the worst period in my life right now, and part of why I am is that I put up with helljob as long as I did, and it worked with my self esteem issues and paranoia and fears and made them considerably worse. Thankfully I've found a great therapist, and I hope it isn't too late to salvage the aspects of my life that living in that situation caused so much damage to.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

titty_baby_ posted:

I dread going into work and have so much anxiety and grief from it that leaving is necessary for my well being.

Congrats. I hope you take a couple days to treat yourself. I'm starting to job hunt because of the same feeling as well as talking with some coworkers about a side gig. Even that has been a breath of fresh air. In the mean time I'm stacking the overtime and saving my pennies for the future.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I know I've said this like three times already but every time I open this thread and read new posts I immediately go to my online training program and complete a new module, then I throw out a few hail mary applications. Better to get this certification poo poo done before I need it and get the full-on titty_baby experience. Please keep regaling me with stories of how horrible your jobs are because it feeds my drive to never go back to an office ever again if possible.

A story from me, not horrible - Yesterday: Once again, as per usual, our newest department hire was off loving around and not paying attention to the Slack channel when our boss messages us:

Me and my supervisor (the only other people in our department) get on the Slack call and my boss just immediately goes "Well I'm not waiting for (newest member)" and just lays out the news: The wife of one of the department directors had passed away suddenly. He seemed pretty choked up because apparently their two families were quite close. He says to keep that in mind when dealing with his department or if you're having any communications with them in the future that things might be delayed for a bit. As we're saying goodbye I can hear him kind of choking back some sorrow.

My supervisor and I have told our boss how sorry we are and how if anyone needs anything to let us know, the usual pieties. A few minutes after the call is over - newest department member sends a message through Slack:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My boss hosed up a hiring process so now I'm doing interviews this weekend, including Easter Sunday morning.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

I get where you're coming from about New Guy being a dipshit, but that image really doesn't say that to me; he could have just been taking a dump or something.

Granted, if it's like that all day every day forever, then I totally see where you're coming from!

Then again, I feel like my workplace has a culture of "I'll answer your IM when I feel like it. Maybe." so I just assume that if I'm IMing someone, there's a 50% chance I'm just tossing that message into the void.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
they responded less than 10 minutes later that seems more than reasonable to me ??? im not available for impromptu meetings that fast either generally

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SirPablo posted:

My boss hosed up a hiring process so now I'm doing interviews this weekend, including Easter Sunday morning.
Please to be telling them "you agreed to interview on a easter Sunday? Disqualified, don't agree to stupid poo poo is a core tenet of this position"

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Please to be telling them "you agreed to interview on a easter Sunday? Disqualified, don't agree to stupid poo poo is a core tenet of this position"

Oh yea I wouldn't hold it against them at all. Same time, the power structure is that you (applicant) can't afford to say "gently caress outta here with your Sunday interview".

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Zarin posted:

I get where you're coming from about New Guy being a dipshit, but that image really doesn't say that to me; he could have just been taking a dump or something.

Granted, if it's like that all day every day forever, then I totally see where you're coming from!

Then again, I feel like my workplace has a culture of "I'll answer your IM when I feel like it. Maybe." so I just assume that if I'm IMing someone, there's a 50% chance I'm just tossing that message into the void.

It literally happens every. single. time. She constantly misses the slack calls (we are supposed to be at desks all day basically) and we have to start without her.

Plus we all have the app on our phones. And I don't know of a single soul on earth who doesn't poo poo without loving around on their phone in 2021.

This coworker does virtually nothing all day except update a few excel sheets when various emails come in from what we can tell so it's not like they're pressed for time or in another call.

edit: I know I complain about this useless person but at the same time their existence is, for me, the greatest job security on earth.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 4, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

AHH F/UGH posted:

It literally happens every. single. time. She constantly misses the slack calls (we are supposed to be at desks all day basically) and we have to start without her.

Plus we all have the app on our phones. And I don't know of a single soul on earth who doesn't poo poo without loving around on their phone in 2021.

This coworker does virtually nothing all day except update a few excel sheets when various emails come in from what we can tell so it's not like they're pressed for time or in another call.

edit: I know I complain about this useless person but at the same time their existence is, for me, the greatest job security on earth.

I don't doubt your assessment of New Person, no worries.

Just more of a "whomst among us" kinda moment haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

If you're getting indignant about someone not being available for slack calls immediately the problem is not the coworker, what the hell? I'm a busy person when I'm working, maybe I'm finishing up an email, maybe I'm looking for documentation, maybe I'm talking to someone else, or maybe I'm just taking a break and making myself a drat coffee like a human being. If a boss or coworker can't wait 10 minutes for me to be available then gently caress that.

Sounds like the boss was pretty distraught but I'd be pretty offended if my team members left me out of meetings just because I'm not playing whack a mole with requests at my computer all day. The coworker sounds pretty annoying from what you've been describing but you maybe need to relax a bit more as well.