Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

lets hang out posted:

4u had whole cutscenes that featured your created character, and in the hub they'd show the whole group. gen had very simple, quick ones because it just has so many monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPTTHHWIW4

Oh yeah I remember these now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
Savage axe mode with an elemental charge blade whips complete rear end. I completely ignored elements in favor of impact in Iceborne, but it’s great here. You can go into savage axe mode without a full phial gauge, just remember that the X attack charges one phial per attack and the A attack uses one phial charge, but is a double hit attack. So your ideal combo is just X A X A alternating for as long as you can get away with it. Also important to hold the attack buttons through the attack animation for that elemental buzzsaw damage.

Figuring out I didn’t need a full gauge to abuse savage axe has freed me from the need to use the defensive silkbind, so I can add some aerial SAED for flavor when I feel like it. I do admit I miss the counters , but I can live with just stacking guard skill and abusing my guard points.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
After hundreds of hours with the charge blade across multiple games I have never landed a single SAED and it feels bad every time

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
to the player that feverishly ran in to melee range of Ibushi to put a trap under it: they may say you are a fool, but in your heart burns the fire of a champion

Mechafunkzilla posted:

After hundreds of hours with the charge blade across multiple games I have never landed a single SAED and it feels bad every time

friend I offer you this advice: the SAED looks cool but it basically sucks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What do we think of Counter Morph Slash for CB? Seems good - it feels like the pause isn't too terrible, and I really don't use those two morph attacks except to guard point anyway, so why not make the axe->sword point easier

Bleck posted:

hey so I figured out how to abort an SAED into an AED, but is it possible to do that without leaving axe mode, or maybe even an offensive followup?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Wait, you can Dodge out of basically any part of Wild Swing now? Think I'm gonna have to gently caress with Switch Axe.

If you could do that in World and I just never noticed, then I'm gonna feel silly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shine posted:

Wait, you can Dodge out of basically any part of Wild Swing now? Think I'm gonna have to gently caress with Switch Axe.

If you could do that in World and I just never noticed, then I'm gonna feel silly.

you're not silly, it's definitely new to rise and it loving rocks

wear all Volvidon S except the helm and spam morph attacks for a laugh. Rapid Morph 3 & Evade Extender 3? it's Switch Axe: The Set in all but name

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 3, 2021

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not even on a downed mon? I don't know how you can resist

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bleck posted:

Yeah that poo poo is a trap. It's admittedly very strong but it is so difficult and inconsistent to land. Regular AED is real good and way easier to hit with, and for that matter you could probably have just wailed on the monster and gotten just as much if not more damage done than an SAED.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I will not stand for this saed slander, it's good folks

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ciaphas posted:

you're not silly, it's definitely new to rise and it loving rocks

wear all Volvidon S except the helm and spam morph attacks for a laugh. Rapid Morph 3 & Evade Extender 3? it's Switch Axe: The Set in all but name

Awesome, thanks! Also, I just realized my phone autocapitalized "Dodge," and I suspect it's because of how frequently I type "this is a Dodge," from The Juggernaut, Bitch. :itjb:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Rakna is my new favorite monster, her moveset and design is incredible

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MMF Freeway posted:

I will not stand for this saed slander, it's good folks

To clarify: SAED is cool and good, but unless you are sure you are going to land it there are better options. People that are Very Good at the game can land it fuckin every try and thus are fully encouraged to spam that poo poo to oblivion. Lame-o's like myself can't really hit it unless the monster is downed or stunned or whatever so I instead do the next coolest thing: wailing on the monster with my buzz saw axe

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

new kind of cat posted:

Savage axe mode with an elemental charge blade whips complete rear end. I completely ignored elements in favor of impact in Iceborne, but it’s great here. You can go into savage axe mode without a full phial gauge, just remember that the X attack charges one phial per attack and the A attack uses one phial charge, but is a double hit attack. So your ideal combo is just X A X A alternating for as long as you can get away with it. Also important to hold the attack buttons through the attack animation for that elemental buzzsaw damage.

Figuring out I didn’t need a full gauge to abuse savage axe has freed me from the need to use the defensive silkbind, so I can add some aerial SAED for flavor when I feel like it. I do admit I miss the counters , but I can live with just stacking guard skill and abusing my guard points.

Do you need to time holding the X attack so you're only holding the button while it's passing through the monster? That's how the ingame description sounds but I only get phials on every 2 or 3 buzzsaws. I can't tell if I'm pressing or releasing too early/late, or if I should just be holding the button the entire swing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

hey so I figured out how to abort an SAED into an AED, but is it possible to do that without leaving axe mode, or maybe even an offensive followup?

AED and SAED are designated combo enders, so you can't intentionally stay in axe mode (if you are rudely interrupted by a monster hitting you before you can change back you'll stay in axe mode) and there is no offensive followup because you just used your combo ender.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Not even on a downed mon? I don't know how you can resist

I still miss and immediately start grinding my teeth

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Give me a plate you stupid samurai dog :argh:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

Do you need to time holding the X attack so you're only holding the button while it's passing through the monster? That's how the ingame description sounds but I only get phials on every 2 or 3 buzzsaws. I can't tell if I'm pressing or releasing too early/late, or if I should just be holding the button the entire swing.

I think you only get phials every other swing, so X A X A will give it to you every X or every A. I just hold down the button the entire swing, pressing it to start an attack and just holding the button down until it's time to press another button.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What is SAED and AED?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

What is SAED and AED?

Amped Element Discharge and Super Amped Element Discharge. The final big explodey attacks that Charge Blade can use in axe mode.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think you only get phials every other swing, so X A X A will give it to you every X or every A. I just hold down the button the entire swing, pressing it to start an attack and just holding the button down until it's time to press another button.

Ah, gotcha. I didn't even know the A attack needed buzzsaw holding as well, so thanks :)

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Got up to what I assume is the final boss today. Rajang is always such a fun fight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

counterpoint

http://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1377752636447805445

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

only 2 phials, pathetic

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Just crafted the top tier (for now) Nickitty SnS Flash in the Night and holy moly this thing is beastly. 180 attack, white sharpness, 30% base affinity. I am in love.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Natural 20 posted:

Well I killed the final boss.

I can't say I'm a fan of that fight.

I get the movement options in the game are relatively robust but basing a fight around having to slowly put your weapon away and then hope you stick a wirebug so that you can get to artillery weapons that have controls that are inverted from what goes on with the LBG is just awful. Additionally wyvernblasts that stick to the boss basically end up being unhittable because its hitbox doesn't match the model so your wyvernblasts will just stick somewhere in the air around the boss.

It felt really terrible compared to some of the cooler HR7 fight basically and I'm kinda annoyed that it was my bookend to the game.

I agree completely, its doubly awful if you're playing a melee weapon that needs to ramp up its damage, since the vulnerability windows are so short. the fight would be massively improved if the artillery and vulnerable windows were like twice as long. As it stands now if you miss wirebugging to a platform right away, by the time you actually mount the weapon it will despawn. If you're playing a slow, lumbering weapon like GL or GS or something you basically never have enough time to do your cool poo poo unless you are perfectly positioned every time the sac is vulnerable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

quiggy posted:

Nice trick to ask for a plate when what you really want is the magna orb.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Maybe it's pixels... but how did he go from axe neutral to a GP so fast?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How likely am I to meet fellow first-timers / noobs to quest with in MH:W, or has this ship long sailed? I don't mind questing alone, but questing with people would be heaps more fun. My group has ignored my plea to join me in the game, so I'd love to play with others online. I just don't want to be matched up with some dude in the best gear or armour so I'm left in the dirt and only manage to swing once before he's got the monster completely downed. Is there an option to turn guardian armour off for quests so I'm not teamed up with players wearing it / using the weapons?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

quiggy posted:

in my experience your best best is to join online lobbies, get something broken or cut off, and then carve/pick it up and then fail the quest because someone triple carted

im pretty sure ive gotten 95% of my plates from that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mailer posted:

Maybe it's pixels... but how did he go from axe neutral to a GP so fast?

The R2 transform from axe to sword has a GP so I just timed it close

Mechafunkzilla posted:

only 2 phials, pathetic

I know, I wish I had the full monty

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

In Training posted:

The R2 transform from axe to sword has a GP so I just timed it close

That's Counter Morph Slash only, right? Normally the guard point's at the end of the axe-to-sword animation.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

In Training posted:

I know, I wish I had the full monty

I still :vince:'d as gently caress at it, don't worry, it ruled

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm still kinda annoyed we can't swap between snipe or chain gun for HBGs, seems like the perfect switch skill. good guns tainted by wyvernsnipe smh

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

new kind of cat posted:

The thing that makes it hard to go without the counter silkbind when savage axing is that it lets you guard while in axe mode and then press X to go right back into savage axe mode. Without that, you have to do the ZR+A > X charge which takes a couple of seconds, particularly if you don't have any sword charge built up.

AnEndcat posted:

That's Counter Morph Slash only, right? Normally the guard point's at the end of the axe-to-sword animation.

Correct.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

To demonstrate:

https://i.imgur.com/Q4pdlNi.mp4

If you're using counter morph slash then you could guard point those attacks, but that will leave you in sword mode so you can't get back to ripping and tearing right away.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Damage numbers off... Respect :hai:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

mightygerm posted:

If you're playing a slow, lumbering weapon like GL or GS or something

Sounds like you need to switch up your gunlance style.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
loving Magnamalo finally dropped one of his stupid orbs after 10 kills so I could make the hammer, I wanted a decent one and that seemed alright. I like making stuff explode. Now I have so many other Magnamalo bits that are basically useless without another orb though cause I assume all of the other weapons also need one and one bit of the armour does as well.

I used the killing attempts as a chance to practice switch axe since I've never used one before. I did alright I think, never died but the fights took awhile, I felt like I never got the chance to properly use the sword. Obviously need to just practice in the training room a bit more or maybe against a slightly less mobile monster.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Khezu decided to give up.

https://twitter.com/ArtemisBurdo/status/1378466355859492864
https://twitter.com/ArtemisBurdo/status/1378466582607720450

In between those two the khezu vanished from existence and I was too stunned to take the video of it disappearing in time. It was just gone, did not count as dead, quest incomplete and there was no longer a khezu to actually kill to complete the quest.