Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
This game definitely grew outside of the scope they originally planned for, especially after the explosion on Twitch. I remember them saying in a podcast they had expected maybe 20,000 players maximum, but instead got 200,000-300,000 when they did the first Twitch event. Servers were poo poo for two months or so I think until they could scale and work with their providers.

I could see them totally abandoning the original “online Stalker” idea and sticking with the current form as a live seasonal game. But I think Nikita may also be stubborn enough to use the money he’s made to do whatever he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I think it's gonna be Nikita balancing how much he likes money against his vision. I hope we can get that online stalker game. Personally I hope they continue to nerf strength. This was a good change, I feel less like a superhero now

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

InevitableCheese posted:

This game definitely grew outside of the scope they originally planned for, especially after the explosion on Twitch. I remember them saying in a podcast they had expected maybe 20,000 players maximum, but instead got 200,000-300,000 when they did the first Twitch event. Servers were poo poo for two months or so I think until they could scale and work with their providers.

This is so freaking cool.

I wish they'd do something like let players farm in EFT - use this to collect loot. Then bring it to Arena.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is so freaking cool.

I wish they'd do something like let players farm in EFT - use this to collect loot. Then bring it to Arena.

This is exactly what Nikita said they were doing less than a week ago.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LGD posted:

tbh I'm less familiar with Tarkov-related YT creators, but yeah there are absolutely a lot more sick highlight compilations/comedy stuff than instructional/informative videos - I think a lot of that's more or less dictated by the nature of YT's content-creation incentive structures, because even most of the people who make an effort to be educational (like Pestily, Veritas, Krashed, JesseKazam, etc. [and note I'm not necessarily recommending all of these, just describing their content]) all regularly release highlight clips

which is understandable, since they provide hits/subscriptions/discoverability/revenue and I imagine are a lot less effort to put together/edit, and make use of material you'd need to be generating for educational stuff anyhow

in regards to Pestily specifically, I'd point to the Raid series since it's recorded while he's not streaming so there is no Twitch interaction whatsoever, and the explicit intent of the editing/narration is to show how to gear/level up and do all the quests in the game starting from a basic account (it still has the basic tension that he needs to be good/knowledgeable about the game to teach anyone anything, but extensive map and game knowledge + shooting skill also means that attempting to emulate everything he does is likely to go poorly - that said it's not a highlight compilation, and he absolutely gets Tarkov'd for entire episodes at a time)

Thanks for this, i didn't know pestily's raid series was solely yt-focused. this is pretty much what i was looking for. i mean, he's still incredibly skilled, but i can deal.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Welp, as a result of this stupid new ratchet wrench tech materials are crashing hardcore. Hoping prices recover after more of them get into the environment but lol at CPUs selling for 10% of their old price.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bussamove posted:

lol at CPUs selling for 10% of their old price.

lol indeed. My CPU stash once valued at a cool 2.5mil is now worth about 250k. My timing in this game is such poo poo. Every time I finally unlock something, gain something, am on the brink of building something, etc, it gets nerfed.

I just built the BTC farm and stuck a bunch of GPU's in it. Watch, this week or the next, we'll see some kind of BTC nerf.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Nikita steadfastly refusing to nerf bitcoins is why all these other arbitrary nerfs happen though!

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Ugh, Steam Audio is driving me nuts. When it works it's a lot better than regular audio, but the random footstep noise bug is driving me crazy.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Nikita steadfastly refusing to nerf bitcoins is why all these other arbitrary nerfs happen though!

The nerf will have nothing to do with bitcoin and everything to do with me.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Bussamove posted:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Have they said anything about the next wipe?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Does anyone know why the price of the Walker XCEL digital headset crashed? Did Pestily give them an F in a tierlist video or something?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Have they said anything about the next wipe?

It'll be on Thursday

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

sum posted:

Does anyone know why the price of the Walker XCEL digital headset crashed? Did Pestily give them an F in a tierlist video or something?

New headphones are cheap and can be worn under ears (sound kinda bad though)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I just recently got my scav box up and running, which option should I use for sending them out? I've heard moonshine is good but I don't have my booze maker up and running yet, so I've just been sending them out on 85k runs.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Cage Kicker posted:

It'll be on Thursday

Is this a joke or will it really wipe on Thurs?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Is this a joke or will it really wipe on Thurs?

Issajoke

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Bussamove posted:

I just recently got my scav box up and running, which option should I use for sending them out? I've heard moonshine is good but I don't have my booze maker up and running yet, so I've just been sending them out on 85k runs.

I use the 85k option. The fixed cost of the investment with inflated prices of what you get seem to make it quite worth it.
I make my own booze but a bottle is 400k right now and I'd much rather sell it. The one time I did a Booze run the value that came back was below 100k and I was pissed.
The 85k seldom returns less than it costs for me and often returns 150-200k. And there is always the chance for something like a graphics card or AESA.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Malefitz posted:

I use the 85k option. The fixed cost of the investment with inflated prices of what you get seem to make it quite worth it.
I make my own booze but a bottle is 400k right now and I'd much rather sell it. The one time I did a Booze run the value that came back was below 100k and I was pissed.
The 85k seldom returns less than it costs for me and often returns 150-200k. And there is always the chance for something like a graphics card or AESA.

I'll stick with 85k then, thanks!

I did get an IC saferoom exfil keycard, so that was a cool couple mil. :v:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
85 k often returns like 20-30k for me personally. I much prefer moonshine.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've been running documents and they are complete poo poo, so i'm going back to moonshine. The best item I got was a virtex I think, and that was from maybe 10 total runs.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Purely anecdotal, but run 85k if you want consistent profit. The profit will swing from a few thousand roubles a run to a few hundred thousand, but you'll stay ahead. Run moonshine or intel if you're looking for rare items and are okay with running in the red to do it, because that's where you'll be most of the time.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I am majorly stuck on Sanitary Standards part II. Are there any almost guaranteed spawns for gas analysers?

I feel like I have looted 30+ tech crates, countless toolboxes and I've run the tech stores and OLI a dozen times. I think I found one in a stash somewhere and another in a filing cabinet but died before exfil.

The fixed-spawn fetch quests (Checking, Delivery from the Past etc) I've done in one attempt, but this RNG stuff is giving me a headache. Jaeger's ones were also ridiculous. I think I must have opened 20+ ration crates to find the final stew that I needed.

VVVVV The biggest collection of those are the bunker on Reserve, right?

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 5, 2021

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I feel like I have looted 30+ tech crates, countless toolboxes and I've run the tech stores and OLI a dozen times. I think I found one in a stash somewhere and another in a filing cabinet but died before exfil.

I have almost always gotten mine from filing cabinets.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I got mine for the quests mostly from spawning as a scav and having one of them in my inventory but since then I also find them semi regularly in filing cabinets.
The Tushonkas also took me forever, I wish they would increase spawn rates of these as they gate a lot of content behind them.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

after a couple weeks of playing, i really don't think i'm having fun. the first map i learned was woods, which was great at first because i literally never see other players and just got to learn how to kill scavs. but now i'm forced into other maps for quests (customs and factory) and it's just dumb. on customs my choices are to hide in a bush for 15 minutes and wait until the other players leave, or go in with nothing and just rush quest objectives and run from any other living thing. my encounters boil down to dying instantly the moment another player notices me, or i run as quickly as possible away and they don't bother chasing. in like 90 raids, i have 6 pmc kills. there's seemingly no other players at my level because i never see anyone that isn't geared rushing the high traffic areas. scav runs arent fun because i'm seemingly the only person doing them. never really encounter other player scavs that i can tell and pmcs are all dead or gone by the time i spawn in

every fight is so asymmetrical that telling me to get good probably won't cut it. i dont have a way of practicing against other players with similar skill/gear levels. spending 50k and 5 minutes loading into factory only to die in 10 seconds to mr. million rouble vector really isn't gonna get me the fighting experience i'm looking for before just going completely broke.

so i guess the solution is to just keep doing these extremely boring woods loot runs where i find plenty of poo poo but never see another soul, until i can afford to set up a bitcoin farm and have infinite money so i can play counterstrike with more steps... that sounds like no fun at all.

i've been stuck for days on customs quests because i can't get into the dorms without being killed immediately

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Hooplah posted:

after a couple weeks of playing, i really don't think i'm having fun. the first map i learned was woods, which was great at first because i literally never see other players and just got to learn how to kill scavs. but now i'm forced into other maps for quests (customs and factory) and it's just dumb. on customs my choices are to hide in a bush for 15 minutes and wait until the other players leave, or go in with nothing and just rush quest objectives and run from any other living thing. my encounters boil down to dying instantly the moment another player notices me, or i run as quickly as possible away and they don't bother chasing. in like 90 raids, i have 6 pmc kills. there's seemingly no other players at my level because i never see anyone that isn't geared rushing the high traffic areas. scav runs arent fun because i'm seemingly the only person doing them. never really encounter other player scavs that i can tell and pmcs are all dead or gone by the time i spawn in

every fight is so asymmetrical that telling me to get good probably won't cut it. i dont have a way of practicing against other players with similar skill/gear levels. spending 50k and 5 minutes loading into factory only to die in 10 seconds to mr. million rouble vector really isn't gonna get me the fighting experience i'm looking for before just going completely broke.

so i guess the solution is to just keep doing these extremely boring woods loot runs where i find plenty of poo poo but never see another soul, until i can afford to set up a bitcoin farm and have infinite money so i can play counterstrike with more steps... that sounds like no fun at all.

i've been stuck for days on customs quests because i can't get into the dorms without being killed immediately

Play with goons. Or people who know the maps and quests and sherpa you.

Starting solo is a struggle, starting solo midwipe is going to go exactly as you describe without someone guiding you.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

so the solution you propose is to enlist the help of someone that's already bypassed the entire survival/care about loot portion of the game so i can also get to the point where i have effectively infinite passive income and can ignore that part of the game, too?

isn't getting to that point in the game supposed to be the fun part? whats the point of playing when you don't have to care about looting anything? why not just play a shooter without the extra tedium? or is the game supposed to only be fun for people like me in the first couple weeks after a wipe?

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Malefitz posted:

I got mine for the quests mostly from spawning as a scav and having one of them in my inventory but since then I also find them semi regularly in filing cabinets.
The Tushonkas also took me forever, I wish they would increase spawn rates of these as they gate a lot of content behind them.

The small tushonkas (Where you need 15 for "General wares") can be crafted in the hideout so that's not too bad.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Hooplah posted:

so the solution you propose is to enlist the help of someone that's already bypassed the entire survival/care about loot portion of the game so i can also get to the point where i have effectively infinite passive income and can ignore that part of the game, too?

isn't getting to that point in the game supposed to be the fun part? whats the point of playing when you don't have to care about looting anything? why not just play a shooter without the extra tedium? or is the game supposed to only be fun for people like me in the first couple weeks after a wipe?

I've been playing a lot of titanfall 2 if you're looking for something fun

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Hooplah posted:

If that's your take away - then just uninstall.

Anyone who has played multiple wipes and knows the quests and maps could account reset today and be back up to millions as soon as they hit level 10 which at worst will take them 2 nights of EFT.

You make the common newbie mistake of thinking that gear and wealth is the deciding factor in EFT fights.

The point of teaming up with others isn't that they have millions - it's that they know what the gently caress they are doing.

Hooplah posted:

Definitions of fun vary wildly. Some find it fun to actually run trash gear even when they have more money than they know what to do with because they find that more fun than meta gear.

Prior to this wipe, I started mid wipe and I actually enjoyed being the outgeared underdog hiding from chads and trying to avoid fights.

At this point with kappa and only quests left for me is killing shturman 5 more times and Killa ~90 more times - I spend most of my time running with other people still questing or seek out pvp. I am trash at pvp so having effectively infinite money is a great time to get better at pvp.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hooplah posted:

I started playing Tarkov late wipe so I know exactly what you're going through because it happened to me too. I only played with goons for a single evening for help with a factory quest that was frustrating the hell out of me, everything else I did entirely solo. It was a struggle and there were definitely nights where I felt like I hadn't learned a thing or improved at all. But you ARE getting better each time you go out, even if it doesn't feel like it. It will get easier if you keep going, though it never actually gets easy.

On the other hand, this game just might not be your thing. Like if you're truly not enjoying it at all, walk away from it. It's definitely a niche thing and nobody should waste their leisure time on something they don't enjoy.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Hooplah posted:

Welcome to Tarkov.

But seriously I like the shooting mechanics, the healing system, the looting, and all that but the other players ruin the fun for me too. It would be like a new person jumping into CS:GO. 90% of the player base knows what angles to sit and wait at and no amount of "keep playing, it'll get better!" will ever be true. I would suggest playing the single player tarkov mod, or jumping into a more fun shooter.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

no amount of "keep playing, it'll get better!" will ever be true.

It does though...

The biggest factor in 'getting better' at tarkov is knowing the maps inside and out and knowing the player flows on the maps.

Vast majority of my kills are 1 taps to the head where gear doesn't matter at all and my CQC pvp skill is irrelevant but knowledge of the map and flow is what allows me to get into position to get those kills - and avoid the same areas so I don't end up someone's SBIH kill. If I end up in a fight on equal footing, my chances of survival are suboptimal. Yet at this point I'm consistently able to get a few kills on every map except labs and factory....

You are absolutely going to get better at Tarkov if you keep playing it. What 'better' means depends on your playstyle - it may mean getting better at pvp or better at avoiding it or better at getting more entirely one sided engagements where you click heads with little chance of retaliation.

All those other players who give newbies a hard time were newbies at some point and didn't wipe the map on day 1 of their tarkov career.

So in short - yeah - keep paying and you will get better. If you wish to invest the time and effort into getter better at EFT is a call only you can make though because the game isn't for everyone.

There are still nights where I get my poo poo pushed in over and over and over with nothing to show for it - but I keep playing because other nights end up a series of good fun runs.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I only started playing a few weeks ago and I'm liking it other than a few frustrations. It can be really poo poo getting stuck, but it is rewarding to finally get through a tough objective or fight. I think I have just accepted that other players are largely undefeatable with my current bankroll/skill.

Customs is a pretty rough map but I tend to go at night and don't hang around Dorms or Construction too long. In, do the quest, GTFO. I found a marked key quite early on but haven't had the bottle to risk running it yet.

Can anyone reconmmend cheap gun builds for early on? Pestily recommended the SKS, but I just can't use it so I've given up there. I am liking the PP-19. You can get one with a suppressor and reflex for about 45K all-in, but the problem is I think PST GZH doesn't do much against class 3+ armours.

I guess the real question is what is a good value ammo? Something that does well against say class 4, but doesn't cost 1K per round.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I guess the real question is what is a good value ammo? Something that does well against say class 4, but doesn't cost 1K per round.

Flechette will drop the thiccest chad. For 175 a pop. Catch is - you got to get close.

.366 AP will drop class 4 in 2 thorax hits at ~560 a pop. The VPO-209 gets no love, but it can be devastating and it's dirt cheap.

If you are willing to spend more on guns, SVDS with SNB is a very solid round that is comparable to M61 for a faction of the cost. Unfortunately SVDS is ~80-90k and not nearly as moddable as M61 guns...

Tarandis
Jun 16, 2012

Pst gzh from a PP19 or MP5 if you want to spray faces.

PS from an AKM or Vepr KM for more general use.

Once you have flea market access and some hideout crafting options, BP is probably your most cost effective option til you're post-scarcity.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Vepr and PP-19 are my go-tos. Both are really solid guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
All the unmodified 5.45 AKs are quite cheap on the flea market and you don't have to run the top-tier ammo all the time, as long as you don't use PRS or US because these two are just hot garbage and should only be used if your other option is to not be able to shoot at all. Just remember to keep costs down when choosing what mods you put into them. As for 7.62 AKs, the AKMS is amongst the cheapest full-auto guns you can buy in the game at the moment.