Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

quote:

LOL - no kidding when you look at things in a certain way. Clearly the big things are out of our control. But unlike most of the population, we have an inkling of what's going on. And boy, every day a new freight train crashes off the line. Like Bannon said, there are decades that pass and nothing happens, then weeks or days pass where history is written - or something like that.

This has to be a Poe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

nonathlon posted:

Hadn't Jones broken kayfabe occasionally, and started laughing at the things he says? Although, in a way it doesn't matter if he's a true believer or a grifter, his role is the same

A few years back his lawyer said he was "playing a character".

quote:

Infowars founder and host Alex Jones is “playing a character,” his lawyer argued during a recent custody hearing surrounding his three children.

“He is a performance artist,” Jones's attorney, Randall Wilhite, argued to a Texas judge, according to a report in the Austin American-Statesman.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/329071-alex-jones-playing-a-character-says-lawyer

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It's probably both. I'm sure Jones intentionally plays things up for the camera but there's been evidence of him having weird beliefs stretching back decades and 'you are who you pretend to be'

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xand_Man posted:

It's probably both. I'm sure Jones intentionally plays things up for the camera but there's been evidence of him having weird beliefs stretching back decades and 'you are who you pretend to be'

It's very obvious that Jones doesn't believe the majority of the stuff he rants about, especially when he pivots from the death of humanity to selling "supplements." Jones definitely is a white nationalist and follows a John Birch Society view of the world but most of his bluster is advertising for prepper or medical skeptic stuff. He also has unwillingness to revisit things in the immediate past which shows a level of self awareness. There was an old episode covered on Knowledge Fight where Eddie Bravo asked about Y2K stuff in 2010 and Jones wouldn't talk about it, tried to change the subject fast because he was reporting about nuclear power plants blowing up and end of the world events that obviously didn't happen in any way.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 3, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Xand_Man posted:

It is definitely both. He has, countless times, made revealing comments on a hot mic that betray his knowledge of what he is doing but he will also demonstrate that he is a true believer in other aspects of what you would assume is just part of the grift. Sometimes I don't know which one it will be and it's weird to figure out what is what. Thankfully, Knowledge Fight sifts through that for me.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
He seems like a guy who 100% believes whatever he needs to in any given moment in order to feel good/be liked/sell supplements. On his show it's just him and his ego so he totally believes he's fighting a one man war against the literal devil. Then he has to sell some supplements so he believes that you too can fight the devil with some iodine pills. Then later he's in court or talking to Joe Rogan and he believes that he's actually just a straight shootin' normal guy telling it like it is and he gets misquoted all the time by the media, he doesn't actually believe in interdimensional aliens or whatever.

Thinking that any of these positions need to be internally consistent or be coherent across a period of time is a failure of your perspective, not his.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
When he gets in trouble and the horrible poo poo he says leads to actual consequences, he's just an entertainer.

When he's selling survivalist crap and supplements on his website or egging on the Capitol rioters, he's legit and speaking truth to power.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

nonathlon posted:

Hadn't Jones broken kayfabe occasionally, and started laughing at the things he says? Although, in a way it doesn't matter if he's a true believer or a grifter, his role is the same

early on jones seemed to be doing a bit but also seems to have gotten lost in character a long time ago and became a true believer in his nonsense

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Jones is playing a character the same way Rush Limbaugh was playing a character, originally it started out as a joke or a satire but you keep spouting the same nonsense every day for decades and it's impossible not to believe it. Especially when you're spouting poo poo because you specifically know it makes people mad and angry people are good for your ratings.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Limbaugh was never a joke or satire, dude was raised in a hardcore right wing household, he's been a true believer his whole life. That doesn't mean that he wasn't aware some of the stuff he was saying was bullshit but he definitely wasn't playing a part.

e: You may be thinking of Hannity who I've heard essentially will say anything for the right price, and Fox just happens to pay the most right now.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

Limbaugh was never a joke or satire, dude was raised in a hardcore right wing household, he's been a true believer his whole life. That doesn't mean that he wasn't aware some of the stuff he was saying was bullshit but he definitely wasn't playing a part.

e: You may be thinking of Hannity who I've heard essentially will say anything for the right price, and Fox just happens to pay the most right now.

Possibly, i confuse all of the right wing grifters

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
For all the joking about it, if the military ran the elections like they are running covid shots there would be no lines ever. Like I’m not a rah rah military guy but in Cleveland they did a bang up job getting my 5G receivers implanted into my arm.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Often Abbreviated posted:

He seems like a guy who 100% believes whatever he needs to in any given moment in order to feel good/be liked/sell supplements. On his show it's just him and his ego so he totally believes he's fighting a one man war against the literal devil. Then he has to sell some supplements so he believes that you too can fight the devil with some iodine pills. Then later he's in court or talking to Joe Rogan and he believes that he's actually just a straight shootin' normal guy telling it like it is and he gets misquoted all the time by the media, he doesn't actually believe in interdimensional aliens or whatever.

Thinking that any of these positions need to be internally consistent or be coherent across a period of time is a failure of your perspective, not his.

The Sandy Hook thing could've gone away but he's committed to believing it was staged. It is, slowly but surely, destroying his entire operation and all he had to do was say "I got it wrong it was real." He has admitted to being wrong about OTHER things in the past and his audience does not care, they are pretty loyal. He is pilled to the gills on Sandy Hook.

Twelve by Pies posted:

This isn't true. It's pretty well-documented that he started off doing a satirical right-wing character and then transitioned into huffing he own farts. He actually was one of the most apolitical people around amongst his peers in his younger days which was one of the many, many things his father loathed about him.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 3, 2021

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Sandy Hook thing could've gone away but he's committed to believing it was staged. It is, slowly but surely, destroying his entire operation and all he had to do was say "I got it wrong it was real." He has admitted to being wrong about OTHER things in the past and his audience does not care, they are pretty loyal. He is pilled to the gills on Sandy Hook.

And even then I feel like he could have put out some generic rear end-covering statement like "Don't harass the crisis actors, we have to do this the right way" at any point and he wouldn't be half as deep in poo poo as he is now.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
my opinion is that Alex Jones doesn't truly believe the things he is saying in one sense and that sense is not that he disagrees with any of it but that he's too stupid to actually agree with all the things that follow from the things he says. like, he has wild inconsistencies in his beliefs and he's a huge hypocrite so in that sense he doesn't "believe" what he says, but it's only because he's a moron, I think when he says things he does agree with them at the time he says them.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

When he gets in trouble and the horrible poo poo he says leads to actual consequences, he's just an entertainer.

When he's selling survivalist crap and supplements on his website or egging on the Capitol rioters, he's legit and speaking truth to power.

Yes. People who try to understand con thought need to understand that they don't think like we do. They're gluing lincoln logs and kinects together.

Stefan Prodan posted:

my opinion is that Alex Jones doesn't truly believe the things he is saying in one sense and that sense is not that he disagrees with any of it but that he's too stupid to actually agree with all the things that follow from the things he says. like, he has wild inconsistencies in his beliefs and he's a huge hypocrite so in that sense he doesn't "believe" what he says, but it's only because he's a moron, I think when he says things he does agree with them at the time he says them.

Yes. These people do not believe in anything. They really don't. If a motherfucker who used to be a New Atheist and is now a Flat Earther asks you how the gently caress it is that math can "prove" anything, you can give the answer, but it will require a boot to the face to make the man listen. You can take these vicious fuckers and correct them, it is actual possible, but you're going to have to break them and putting them together after is not... yeah.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yea this is definitely a big part of it, too. You cannot earnestly hold his worldview and also be a reasonably introspective person.

Basically: *shrug* “iono, feels right. Must be right.”

His embrace of evangelical “feelings over reason” plays a big part of it. You see because that idiot voice in his head that encourages his worst impulses isn’t a construct of the flaws in his character. No. It is the Holy Spirit. You can’t deny the will of the Holy Spirit!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
this is a naval gazing debate thats been discussed over the yearsm i dont think these people are 1000% about the money would would flip if Soro gave them a trillion dollar / hour wage to be a bread tube talkin head.

They all have a rightwing life philisophy / are terrible people and then stuff goes from there.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This isn't true. It's pretty well-documented that he started off doing a satirical right-wing character and then transitioned into huffing he own farts. He actually was one of the most apolitical people around amongst his peers in his younger days which was one of the many, many things his father loathed about him.

I actually didn't know that, could you show me some stuff about it? All Wikipedia says is that Rush dedicated his life to gaining his father's respect, which the easiest way to do that would seem to be to be as right wing as his dad was.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Twelve by Pies posted:

I actually didn't know that, could you show me some stuff about it? All Wikipedia says is that Rush dedicated his life to gaining his father's respect, which the easiest way to do that would seem to be to be as right wing as his dad was.

Robert Evans/Behind the Bastards did a two-parter on Rush that contains this information and has a ton of sources.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-the-rush-limbaugh-episodes-79392356/
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-two-the-rush-limbaugh-episodes-79507469/

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

I just started listening to this and how the gently caress is his actual first name Rush? Like not even the first one, he's Rush III because his family thought it was the best name. All this time I thought it was a broadcast name or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This, to me, is one of the more interesting threads of Jones and conspiracy thinking generally. If you're spinning a conspiracy yarn to convince your listeners about THE EVIL GOVERNMENT, telling people no children died at Sandy Hook actually makes the government look *better* than the theory he'd used fairly consistently to that point to explain away mass shootings - that the shooter was a patsy, or someone tricked or manipulated into doing the shooting. After all he regularly claims The Globalists are going to kill 95% of the population of Earth, why would he balk at the idea that they'd kill a load of kids to advance their agenda?

You get one of these "Actually nobody died at <x>" conspiracies popping up for every mass casualty event, because at the heart of most conspiracist thinking is the simple truth that it's much more comforting to believe that things happen according to A Plan rather than completely randomly, but Jones has never really been in that lane. Just 3 months after Sandy Hook was the Boston Marathon bombing and he was straight in with "This was the Government" stuff *even while* he was at the height of denying that anyone died at Sandy Hook.

To me it suggests the possibility that he's both performer and true believer (almost certainly a performer first, who's just spent so much time in character and surrounded by true believers that it's completely poisoned his brain) but that Sandy Hook actually broke through his shell. When you hear about the bathroom scene (don't look it up if you don't know - trust me on this) you would have to be an actual psychopath to think "Right, how do I spin this to my advantage?". Just straight up denying it happened is a more defensible mental space to put yourself in, and Wolfgang Halbig's bullshit offered him a route to it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Don Gato posted:

I just started listening to this and how the gently caress is his actual first name Rush? Like not even the first one, he's Rush III because his family thought it was the best name. All this time I thought it was a broadcast name or something.

Maybe they were big Neil Peart fans?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Wasn't Alex Jones diagnosed with Paranoid Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder according to his custody battles?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
His constant editing and re-editing the events in his life to cast himself in a better light points to narcissism. Whether or not it's bad enough to be diagnosable is for a doctor to say.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Zeroisanumber posted:

His constant editing and re-editing the events in his life to cast himself in a better light points to narcissism. Whether or not it's bad enough to be diagnosable is for a doctor to say.

The doctor definitely said. I looked it up. He was required to undergo an independent psych evaluation by the case manager and paranoia is actually one of the classic traits of a malignant narcissist.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I totally forgot this twat Ron Watkins came out claiming he’d analyzed the Dominion software and saw how it had stolen the election for Biden.

Dominion should sue Jim and Ron for another $1.4 billion

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

MrMojok posted:

I totally forgot this twat Ron Watkins came out claiming he’d analyzed the Dominion software and saw how it had stolen the election for Biden.

Dominion should sue Jim and Ron for another $1.4 billion

I just finished that documentary with my fiancee and she had to listen to me ranting, AGAIN, about how I'd known it was the Watkins family. I was honestly stunned that Ron Watkins basically admitted he was Q on camera and that he had been "training people to sift through /pol/ boards for years". He was so smug in that last interview.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This, to me, is one of the more interesting threads of Jones and conspiracy thinking generally. If you're spinning a conspiracy yarn to convince your listeners about THE EVIL GOVERNMENT, telling people no children died at Sandy Hook actually makes the government look *better* than the theory he'd used fairly consistently to that point to explain away mass shootings - that the shooter was a patsy, or someone tricked or manipulated into doing the shooting. After all he regularly claims The Globalists are going to kill 95% of the population of Earth, why would he balk at the idea that they'd kill a load of kids to advance their agenda?

You get one of these "Actually nobody died at <x>" conspiracies popping up for every mass casualty event, because at the heart of most conspiracist thinking is the simple truth that it's much more comforting to believe that things happen according to A Plan rather than completely randomly, but Jones has never really been in that lane. Just 3 months after Sandy Hook was the Boston Marathon bombing and he was straight in with "This was the Government" stuff *even while* he was at the height of denying that anyone died at Sandy Hook.

To me it suggests the possibility that he's both performer and true believer (almost certainly a performer first, who's just spent so much time in character and surrounded by true believers that it's completely poisoned his brain) but that Sandy Hook actually broke through his shell. When you hear about the bathroom scene (don't look it up if you don't know - trust me on this) you would have to be an actual psychopath to think "Right, how do I spin this to my advantage?". Just straight up denying it happened is a more defensible mental space to put yourself in, and Wolfgang Halbig's bullshit offered him a route to it.

I did some reading about malignant narcissism and paranoia kept on getting listed as one of the primary symptoms or traits in every site I went to.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sergg posted:

I just finished that documentary with my fiancee and she had to listen to me ranting, AGAIN, about how I'd known it was the Watkins family. I was honestly stunned that Ron Watkins basically admitted he was Q on camera and that he had been "training people to sift through /pol/ boards for years". He was so smug in that last interview.

Yeah, he was. He really comes across as a psychopath.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, he was. He really comes across as a psychopath.

I love the fact that their God is some self-hating interracial incel, the son of a white supremacist, and also CLEARLY rockin some neurological disorders with the rapid blinking and flat affect. Then he's got the gall to give all his interviews next to his underage anime Realdoll.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sergg posted:

I love the fact that their God is some self-hating interracial incel, the son of a white supremacist, and also CLEARLY rockin some neurological disorders with the rapid blinking and flat affect. Then he's got the gall to give all his interviews next to his underage anime Realdoll.

After the documentary was over, I found Fred on twitter, who was in the process of tweeting several times about the show. Anyway, I was stunned to read this. Did they ever mention a wife at all in the show?

https://twitter.com/fr_brennan/status/1378928821022392320?s=21

e:

https://twitter.com/fr_brennan/status/1378942801149329409?s=21

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 5, 2021

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

If I had to spitball diagnoses based just off the interviews I would say Autism (almost certainly), Sociopathy (definite), and that rapid blinking with those sudden facial movements are mostly consistent with Tourette's Syndrome or the side-effects of antipsychotic medications. I've met a real life hardcore sociopath before and he has that EXACT same flat affect to his speech. The instant I heard him talking I was like "OMG honey this guy sounds just like L***s!"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yo we can dislike a person without armchair diagnosing them.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

MrMojok posted:

After the documentary was over, I found Fred on twitter, who was in the process of tweeting several times about the show. Anyway, I was stunned to read this. Did they ever mention a wife at all in the show?

https://twitter.com/fr_brennan/status/1378928821022392320?s=21

e:

https://twitter.com/fr_brennan/status/1378942801149329409?s=21

Yeah he DID recommend that sex worker place in Japan to the journalist, and by the way it was cut you wouldn't even know he had a family. He never talked about them once. Never even mentions them. He seemed to have a much more intimate relationship with his Realdoll so I imagine whoever married him did it to escape the same crushing poverty as whichever unfortunate woman Jim Wakins preyed upon.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Captain Monkey posted:

And arguably the opposite: if someone has a handful of mental disorders, they're not in full control of their actions, and are to be pitied not vilified.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
There is no such diagnosis as "sociopathy."

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah but it's more fun that way

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

packetmantis posted:

There is no such diagnosis as "sociopathy."

Oh OK "Antisocial Personality Disorder" are you happy now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Captain Monkey posted:

Listen dude I dunno what all the Registered Nurses who padded their resumes with Psychology degrees are saying, but I happen to be a Registered Nurse who padded his resume with a Psychology degree and I'ma let you know that ignoring mental health professionals is one of the reasons Trump got elected and thus ultimately the reason we are having this conversation. Life's crazy like that, eh?