Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I had trolls spawn in my walled compound yard and smash half the building within 10 seconds so I'm always afraid of making tree or rock pillar buildings and then getting hit by a troll invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

AccountSupervisor posted:

Finally finished this madness. I still can't believe I pulled it off. No mods or cheats.

How it started

Kinda tough to tell, is the foundation extremely raised land or a tree

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Depends posted:

I had trolls spawn in my walled compound yard and smash half the building within 10 seconds so I'm always afraid of making tree or rock pillar buildings and then getting hit by a troll invasion.

Chuck a bunch of workbenches around your perimeter, or in the areas that are wide open. Should prevent spawns from happening inside.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

weekly font posted:

Land can only be raised (or dug) 4 'tiles' from where it started. So it's either a tree or iron-wood.

edit: wait, how the gently caress did they get the bonfire up there?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

weekly font posted:

Tree.

Planted pine and built a spiral wood stair case around it, then built iron wood beams off the tippy top of the tree as high as possible.

The stone corners are held up by iron wood beams running from the ground up and then smaller horizontal supports of iron wood going from the center core of iron wood/tree to the stone allowed the stone to be pushed further and further to the absolute maximum height I could get it.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 4, 2021

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Land can only be raised (or dug) 4 'tiles' from where it started. So it's either a tree or iron-wood.

edit: wait, how the gently caress did they get the bonfire up there?

you can put bonfires on ironwood beams if you make a grid under it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Killstick posted:

you can put bonfires on ironwood beams if you make a grid under it.

This changes everything. I have a minor obsession with making lighthouses.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I really like this particular shot/design.

Though it probably gets annoying to have to repair the wood floors nearby after it rains.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

valuum posted:

To show the mountain, does this look likely to be the only silver?

(also pictured: froze to death like a dumbass)

Fuuck that mountain.

Had a "mountain?" tag just left of the starting area that I cant even remember putting there, which turned out to be a loving huge area, possibly the entire island. Like 20 seconds into it i find a tower with the boss thing and there's silver EVERYWHERE:

Double silver! ..under a huge rock that isnt really touching the ground anymore, but so so much silver

e: rng taketh and giveth and all that, but drat

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Vil posted:

Though it probably gets annoying to have to repair the wood floors nearby after it rains.

I think the floors should get squeaky when they start to warp.

I feel like the two star fulings feel imbalanced. Not just that they are a tough enemy. But the damage output is so huge, particularly with ranged like spear throwers, in a small enemy that moves really quickly, and you can get easily one or two shotted with max upgraded padded gear when you barely realize that enemy is there or what level they are.

Sure, I'm always on my toes when I'm in the plains or near them. But at least with some dangerous enemies like beserkers they are large and easy to see, or easy to see because of their color/movement like blobs. Not so with fulings.

Maybe if the starred fulings at least had distinctive sounds they make that could alert you to their presence and distinguish them from no star fulings. But I just feel like the damage output is ridiculous.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I know it's impossible to block or parry 2 star fulings with a maxxed round blackmetal shield. Don't know about the tower shield though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tower shields can't parry at all (and are thus useless)

Two star Fulings really are a trip, everything in the game up to that point basically teaches you Lern2Parry, and then suddenly it doesn't work.

Curious if it's possible to block a two star troll. I once found one, but never went back to check after I managed to retrieve my stuff

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Tower shields can't parry at all (and are thus useless)

I know they can't parry, I just haven't tested if they can block 2 star fulings.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Floppychop posted:

I know they can't parry, I just haven't tested if they can block 2 star fulings.

They have less block power so I can't imagine they would.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of using trees as foundations do the branches interact with anything or are they just for looks?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

They have less block power so I can't imagine they would.

Tower shields have more block power but cannot parry. The blackmetal round has block power of 100, blackmetal tower is 115.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ice arrows are the best way to deal with fulings, even 2-stars aren't too much of a threat. But yeah, they're way over-tuned.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Floppychop posted:

Tower shields have more block power but cannot parry. The blackmetal round has block power of 100, blackmetal tower is 115.

Yes, but when you parry it multiplies the block power by the parry modifier. So the block power of the round shield is significantly higher on a successful parry than on the regular block from the tower shield.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Tower shields need a rework. I think they should get a big passive armor buff and a buff against ranged attacks. Make it an actual trade-off.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Floppychop posted:

Round shields have an effective block of 1.5x the listed value (2x for bronze shields for some reason)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just mined ~150 silver and then carried it down a mountain to my cart staging area

The cart staging area had me travel through a pencil-thin patch of plains. I was smart and always scouted it, then sniper'd the fulings. Except the last time, when I nail one right in the head and doesn't get stunned, and they both book it over... and they're both two-star fuckers, a spear and a torch guy.

Yeah, those guys hurt :sigh:

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of using trees as foundations do the branches interact with anything or are they just for looks?

Just for looks. I have a base I planted a tree in the middle of and the branches that spill out over the staircase can be walked through.

mastershakeman posted:

Lmao

I'm glad you guys are all embracing the absurdity of iron wood

iron wood 4 lyfe

Not done and probably could have finished it by now, but worked a 70 hour week :/

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I still don't get shields. If it's a lone enemy they are never going to touch me anyways so I haven't bothered with shields. Will good parrying help when you are chased by a mob of fulings and 2 deathsquitos join the fray? Getting mobbed is when I have the most trouble.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sanctum posted:

I still don't get shields. If it's a lone enemy they are never going to touch me anyways so I haven't bothered with shields. Will good parrying help when you are chased by a mob of fulings and 2 deathsquitos join the fray? Getting mobbed is when I have the most trouble.

Parrying is both incredibly fun when you nail it, and really helpful in killing mobs cause it stuns them for that sweet damage bonus

And yeah you can kite more successfully by stunning a couple guys too stagger them if they're all bunched up

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I avoided wasting the inventory space on shields until swamps when wolves and 2 star archer draugr regularly showed up, if your shield is good enough it can trivialize most enemies since the parry window is so generous but even good shields have trouble parrying 2 star enemies without staggering yourself.

Deathsquitos are very easy to parry or even full block their damage, but you can also dodge roll them and wait for them to go in a straight line for the easy arrow shot.

For getting mobbed by a giant swarm I guess the polearm is supposed to be good at that, but almost everything can be beaten by backpedaling with a bow and enough stamina.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Do I have to worry about boats getting swept away if I leave them unattended? I'm tempted to build a longboat now that I have the materials but I don't want to just lose it at an inopportune time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jabarto posted:

Do I have to worry about boats getting swept away if I leave them unattended? I'm tempted to build a longboat now that I have the materials but I don't want to just lose it at an inopportune time.

As soon as you leave a boat it's "anchored" and wont get moved unless something physically touches it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The real worry is a huge storm wave picking the boat into the air and then crashing it down into the water for a little damage each time which can break it if you leave it unattended for a really really long time.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

FrickenMoron posted:

As soon as you leave a boat it's "anchored" and wont get moved unless something physically touches it.

Yeah the biggest danger to my boats been enemies attacking them while I’m in the area but not actively defending it. Boars in particular seem to like swimming around and hitting them. Spotted the little fuckers running amock on my Karve several times, then I built a hut on the shore with a camp fire in it to park the boat next to which keeps the bloodthirsty hogs away.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

30-50 feral hogs paddling out and overwhelming my longship

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
For my own amusement I used console commands to spawn in several Lox at my meadows base and then tame them. They're better guard dogs than the wolves, I keep going out and seeing them completely loving up the Greydwarves that are trying to get to the base from the adjacent forest. Kinda hoping for a troll invasion to see what happens.

Woden
May 6, 2006
If you have a high enough shield skill shouldn't you be able to parry 2 star goblins or does the block skill scaling only work for actual blocking?

There's a lot of info on the wiki with formulas and stuff but I'm not sure how it all comes together, like does blocking come before or after the damage reduction from armour?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can block 2 star guys with my 50ish parry skill. Not really worth it except for the "oh poo poo where did he come from" factor since it destroys your stamina, better to dodge

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Azhais posted:

I can block 2 star guys with my 50ish parry skill. Not really worth it except for the "oh poo poo where did he come from" factor since it destroys your stamina, better to dodge

The max amount lost to blocking is based on your max block (the more block you have the less stamina it costs) compared to enemy damage, with a max of, I think, 25?

It definitely sjouldnt be destroying your stamina and is usually worth it for the bonus damage

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Jabarto posted:

Yes, you do. Even if it doesn't get swept away, it can get destroyed by mobs. The safest solution is the destroy it and store the mats in a nearby chest.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bioshuffle posted:

Yes, you do. Even if it doesn't get swept away, it can get destroyed by mobs. The safest solution is the destroy it and store the mats in a nearby chest.

Just lol if you don't have a chest labeled "Boat ingredients" at all of your bases.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I built a spike wall around my first raft/dock. I was really proud of it :shobon:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Boats cannot get swept away. If there's no one on them their X/Y coordinates are "locked". But yeah, it can get destroyed by angry mobs or by waves lifting and dropping it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How much activity happens in areas you aren't nearby? Like, if I have two bases half the map apart, will anything happen at one when I'm at the other? I haven't seen that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

How much activity happens in areas you aren't nearby? Like, if I have two bases half the map apart, will anything happen at one when I'm at the other? I haven't seen that yet.

One base can be attacked while you’re at the other, yeah.