Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’ve always loved EQ, but I’ve never been on the cutting edge like that. There’s people that have probably made a million dollars selling plat due to exploits. Especially 20 years ago. Pretty crazy to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

RCarr posted:

I’ve always loved EQ, but I’ve never been on the cutting edge like that. There’s people that have probably made a million dollars selling plat due to exploits. Especially 20 years ago. Pretty crazy to think about.

I can confirm there was pretty good money in that sort of thing 20 years ago. Around the time when Diablo 2: LOD came out I started selling items on eBay and making decent money at it. I sold dozens of Tal-Rasha’s Masks for $20 apiece and I could farm a half dozen of them in an afternoon running Mephisto with my Sorc.

The bottom fell out of it pretty quickly though. I wouldn’t want to compete with someone overseas making $2-$3 an hour.

It’s been a lot of years but I remember levelling services being a thing in EQ. Every few months someone in our guild would get their account stolen after giving the login and password to a levelling service.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I remember in college in 99, my first time ever seeing EQ was a friend who was selling thier like 30 paladin (fully decked in what I would later learn was rubicite) on eBay. He sold it for like $200.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I remember being about 13 years old in 2000 or so, and chipping in with my friend to buy a max level magician account off eBay. It turned out to be a level 40 magician and there was nothing we could do about it because it wasn’t legal to buy Everquest accounts on EBay. I’m honestly surprised he even gave us his account information.

There was probably just people making an absurd amount of money doing stuff like that.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

RCarr posted:

I remember being about 13 years old in 2000 or so, and chipping in with my friend to buy a max level magician account off eBay. It turned out to be a level 40 magician and there was nothing we could do about it because it wasn’t legal to buy Everquest accounts on EBay. I’m honestly surprised he even gave us his account information.

There was probably just people making an absurd amount of money doing stuff like that.

I had friends that quit and sold their accounts, then recovered the accounts when they wanted to play again.

Buying accounts was always putting your trust in the hands of of some teenager on the internet, which predictable results.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah we sold my druid for about 1000 and shaman+paladin for like 5k or so total; we were fully raid geared/AA'd/leveled up to DoDh I think.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Hindsight being 20/20 I should have sold my EQ, EQ2, FFXI and WoW accounts when I quit.

I think I remember making a little money from Legends of Norrath. If EQ brought back LoN I’d throw money at them tomorrow.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Last time I got the itch for WoW was bwm. I logged in, realized how much time I would need to invest to do anything fun, overcome with choice paralysis, logged off and cancelled.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

BGrifter posted:

Hindsight being 20/20 I should have sold my EQ, EQ2, FFXI and WoW accounts when I quit.

I think I remember making a little money from Legends of Norrath. If EQ brought back LoN I’d throw money at them tomorrow.

There were a few hours when the marketplace on test was bugged, and you could buy certain things for 1 station cash

Most of the options were corrupted, and you couldn't actually buy them. But one of the LoN boxes worked, so I got a few of those, along with a half dozen heroic character slots. I wound up getting banned for a few days, then all the bans were reversed and no purchases were undone. Except for one guy that went super deep on the LoN buying and trading to launder ill gotten gains, he stayed banned.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I knew someone who ran one of the popular class specific web forums in the early 2000s. He ended up selling it to one of the plat sellers who were buying up all the sites.

$20000 was an offer he couldn't refuse !

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I sold enough items back in the day for three thousand dollars or so. https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2185 got me $300. Sebilis loot was a real moneymaker back then.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I remember selling cobalt greaves for like $800 back in the day. I think my fully decked rogue went for around $6000 but my mom jacked all the money.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

rally posted:

I remember selling cobalt greaves for like $800 back in the day. I think my fully decked rogue went for around $6000 but my mom jacked all the money.

My mom was cool and thought "Whatever, video games." I think I funded a state of the art computer by playing Everquest.

It makes me sorta want to play on the next round of TLPs and sell the poo poo out of everything I can loot in Sebilis.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why did your mom rob you?

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

RCarr posted:

Why did your mom rob you?

He should have set master looter if he didn’t want to get ninja’d. Noob.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I ninja'd an SBS back in 2000, 14/15 year old me was a dick.

I wore it for a bit then sold it for like 18k PP; I was flush for a long time as a 20something druid.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I had a very similar high-school experience; sold a pair of pants to fund the desktop computer I took with me to college. I eventually sold my account as well, but if I remember correctly it netted much substantially (~$4-500 vs $2-3000) less than pants/plat.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

bacon! posted:

I had a very similar high-school experience; sold a pair of pants to fund the desktop computer I took with me to college. I eventually sold my account as well, but if I remember correctly it netted much substantially (~$4-500 vs $2-3000) less than pants/plat.

I knew which pants those were before clicking the link haha

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Haven't heard about this, but I've been fairly absent of the game except for weekly DZs and the occasional batphone. If anyone in TEB is doing this, they're not advertising.

Opps looks like the TEQ 'lead monk' has accidentally advertised they did this exploit. Their sync'd magelo profile showed AAs from later expansions.

Someone posted screenshots on the official discord, and now so the story goes the magelo has vanished and the player has done a rename...

Seems kinda pointless if they've been doing suspensions but not removing the exploited AAs.

Daybreak's customer service is so variable. They utterly ignore obvious rule breaking like in Sirens, but on the other hand I did a petition this week for an issue and they fixed it for me in under an hour.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Baconroll posted:

They utterly ignore obvious rule breaking like in Sirens

Not anymore. They cracked down this week. All of the picks were gone in SG guild had to run across for our ToV raid old fashioned. They also cracked down on 3+ boxers. Know some people that caught suspensions yet you still see ginix rolling his army around selling loot. Hit and miss for sure.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Yeah one bot group I've run into regularly in Velks vanished in that wave. I noticed a fresh team of 55s back there tonight running the exact same script as before, which includes having their puller warp directly on mob spawn points to pull them. They were having a harder time of it and had their bard get summoned and killed by a gated mob. This prompted their cleric to instantly summon the corpse and rez it.

It's pretty crazy how they've completely lapsed on banning warp hacks since I came back to the game with TLPs. Every single mass botter uses warps routinely in managing their bots. You can compare achievements with them and see the timestamp of when they first warped into PoK when these servers were in classic or Kunark. I imagine the one programmer who understood the automated warp flagging system left and that was the end of that.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Yiggy posted:

Not anymore. They cracked down this week. All of the picks were gone in SG guild had to run across for our ToV raid old fashioned. They also cracked down on 3+ boxers. Know some people that caught suspensions yet you still see ginix rolling his army around selling loot. Hit and miss for sure.

When you zone into SG, if you put your face into the corner of the wall directly in front and to the left of you and /camp, you'll log back in on the WW side of the zone.

I have never ever ran through the zone since Velious came out 500 years ago or whatever.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Givin posted:

I have never ever ran through the zone since Velious came out 500 years ago or whatever.

It’s honestly not that bad. I kind of shake my head at the guildies that get tripped up by it. I could make the swim when I had terrible gear and it’s only gotten easier.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Yiggy posted:

It’s honestly not that bad. I kind of shake my head at the guildies that get tripped up by it. I could make the swim when I had terrible gear and it’s only gotten easier.

Several in my guild on live can't make it through no matter how hard they try. I think it's their playing in 1st person view. Not that it's impossible to make it in 1st person, but combined with their being bad at eq, they just don't have a chance. We have to arrange a port for them every time we raid in WW.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

One in the Bum posted:

Several in my guild on live can't make it through no matter how hard they try. I think it's their playing in 1st person view. Not that it's impossible to make it in 1st person, but combined with their being bad at eq, they just don't have a chance. We have to arrange a port for them every time we raid in WW.

Huh. I almost always play in first person view. The swim through SG is only bad if you are squishy and get stunned multiple times by the fish.
A good chunk of the classes have some form of DA effect and just one of those will get you through effortlessly. Once you are over the waterfall a simple invis potion will get you to WW.

Unless they are the type that don't carry invis potions and expect it from others. In that case I hope the fish eat 'em.

After 20 years I don't understand why people still fear that run.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Givin posted:

When you zone into SG, if you put your face into the corner of the wall directly in front and to the left of you and /camp, you'll log back in on the WW side of the zone.

:piss:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Lol that’s incredible. I had no idea, I always just evac’d myself or groups with my druid box. Just wow this game.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I feel like at one point 18 years ago I knew that but yeah totally forgot. Neat trick.

A game buddy remarked to me wondering why they still play this trash and I don’t know either but this crappy dead still crawling mmo has been a lot of fun the past few months on Aradune.

Choosing research ended up working out v well. The two week XP bonus had people rolling lots of alts and boxes. So many people made shamans. The wizard market for Garrison’s kind of whimpered since they drop a lot and get researched but torpor held strong. Lots of people made shamans. I was able to keep making skill ups while gearing up the bazaar toon and then leveling it quick with the bonus. The Keying experience for VT was radically different late expac compared to launch week. Just a super leisurely jaunt around the moon. In about ten days or so made it to 60, finished keying up (even got a classic healing through the floor emp encounter) and tonight was able to juggle two roles successfully and walk away with a new helmet for the toon.

Excited for PoP.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm looking foward to pop too - we're going to ignore plane of storms for a week or 2 (apart from the AoC) and just do all the other progression lines as far as they will do. Theres plenty to keep a non-hardcore guild busy.

I expect we'll be in Time within a month which is plenty good enough when there 5 months of PoP !

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Fresh TLP enchanter nerf some here will find amusing: the color flux line of spells will soon share a cooldown timer

Whenever the topic of enchanters being too powerful came up on the official forums I would jokingly suggest this change. In part, I may be personally responsible for this.

I'm not sure even if their intent here is to stop AE leveling or just a generic enchanter power nerf.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

It won't hamper the PL sellers bit though. They'll just bring however many enchanter bots are now required to safely stun. Regular players on the other hand...

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
This is a mild inconvenience for PLers. The enchanters were always out of group anyways
You used the wizard dps to PL the other 5 players. This’ll cost them an extra krono or two a month for the exact same result they’re already getting.

And if the market is the same on Aradune, it’s a krono for 2 hours of PL per character. So your standard 2 hour block is worth 5 krono. Farea usually does 12-16 hour days. So 30-40 krono per day, 20+ days a month... extra boxes aren’t a big deal.

Screws enchanters soloing boss mobs from classic through PoP though.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

I'm looking foward to pop too - we're going to ignore plane of storms for a week or 2 (apart from the AoC) and just do all the other progression lines as far as they will do. Theres plenty to keep a non-hardcore guild busy.

I expect we'll be in Time within a month which is plenty good enough when there 5 months of PoP !

Who are you raiding with on Aradune? This is pretty much the plan we’re going with too.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

This is a mild inconvenience for PLers. The enchanters were always out of group anyways
You used the wizard dps to PL the other 5 players. This’ll cost them an extra krono or two a month for the exact same result they’re already getting.

And if the market is the same on Aradune, it’s a krono for 2 hours of PL per character. So your standard 2 hour block is worth 5 krono. Farea usually does 12-16 hour days. So 30-40 krono per day, 20+ days a month... extra boxes aren’t a big deal.

Corinav's event uses AE stun too from what I remember. Hope a guild has more then a token enchanter or two.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

koreban posted:

Yeah if their intent here was to end AE grinding in the level 60 eras then there will be another pass of changes. It's easy to see this just makes AE more degenerate by rewarding players botting 6 enchanters with MQ2.

I don't think it will hurt enchanter's solo and duo potential too much. It reinforces the absolute dominance of a cleric box, with their stuns becoming more relevant (especially Stun Command).

If AE mez wasn't currently working on unlimited targets I think this change would be much scarier. You still have a very effective get out of jail free card with Color Skew + Fascination. AE mez is annoying as hell so I always preferred stun locks, but now I'll have to keep it memmed

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

Who are you raiding with on Aradune? This is pretty much the plan we’re going with too.

I'm in Rosengard - One of the euro timezone guilds. Though we have a decent number of Americans who work shifts, or just prefer raiding during the day instead of the evening.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

I'm in Rosengard - One of the euro timezone guilds. Though we have a decent number of Americans who work shifts, or just prefer raiding during the day instead of the evening.

Awesome. I’m raiding with Pillage and Plunder. Semi-casual late PST. No batphone open world bs. TEQB, RWT, etc can have that stuff :effort:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

Awesome. I’m raiding with Pillage and Plunder. Semi-casual late PST. No batphone open world bs. TEQB, RWT, etc can have that stuff :effort:

These days it's TEB and AM mostly. But batphones stop after PoP so :shrug:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

DisgracelandUSA posted:

These days it's TEB and AM mostly. But batphones stop after PoP so :shrug:

Open world goats/Txevu was super competitive on Mangler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I thought I'd waste some time and start up Plane of Time and get some fabled gear for a couple of my alts. As I went through it, none of the gods, or Quarm, were their fabled versions. Did I forget something stupid, or did it bug out? Fabled poo poo is spawning outside of instances just fine.