Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Now that you guys say it, .hack would have been a lot better if they leaned a lot harder into the offline lives of the characters because that was always by far the most interesting part of everything. I remember more about the side characters like Natsume and Piros than I do about the actual plot of the entire series. It would have been really cool if they fleshed out the email and BBS interaction stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean sign is already, directly about that. it's super heavily present in every aspect of the character writing, people who know each other irl poke at each other about their regular lives a lot, characters with no explicit offline ties get tons of flashbacks and generally the story explains how their lives influence the way they act in the game, and even crim mostly is there to make jokes about how he just wants to play video games and all the super heavy mmo magic stuff is weirding him out. it's pretty much entirely what tsukasa's character is built around

feel like it's mostly other stuff that kinda gets shakier about how it digs into it, which is a bummer. whenever gu does it it's pretty interesting but it only does it in like... a couple scenes?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Colonel posted:

i mean sign is already, directly about that. it's super heavily present in every aspect of the character writing, people who know each other irl poke at each other about their regular lives a lot, characters with no explicit offline ties get tons of flashbacks and generally the story explains how their lives influence the way they act in the game, and even crim mostly is there to make jokes about how he just wants to play video games and all the super heavy mmo magic stuff is weirding him out. it's pretty much entirely what tsukasa's character is built around

I know, I'm talking about the entire franchise as a whole.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the bbs stuff in the games is definitely way under utilized. honestly hypnospace outlaw is the game that .hack should have been

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I still remember the weird-rear end email chain that starts when Gardenia messages you out of the blue with a single line email.

Gardenia posted:

I like raw food...

Gardenia posted:

Kite posted:

Like what?
Octopus.

Gardenia posted:

Kite posted:

Octopi are kinda funny, you can't blame them for anything.
Hm?
What are you talking about?

Gardenia posted:

Kite posted:

What do you like about octopi?
The texture. I prefer octopi, squids, and sea cucumbers. Anything with a chewy texture.
I especially love the suction cups.
End email chain.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the .hack novels are the real poo poo though. if you put all of The .hack Multimedia Project on a spectrum from "not actually about the mmo" to "incredibly about the mmo", sign is on the left, liminality i guess is even further left of sign, the video games are probably in the middle somewhere, and the novels are way to the right and all about people getting into sick sword fights in The World

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like in GU theres a guy whos foreign and speaks in all caps and simple english on the BBS.

or the fanart section.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like how throughout gu yata is acting like an ultra cool super gendo and then in chapter 3 you just see him throwing a huge fit cause he lost his job and he can't act super cool and smart anymore and he's like a teenager

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They should of aired gundam x on toonami instead of g gundam is what my thoughts are now years after the fact

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Coxswain Balls posted:

I still remember the weird-rear end email chain that starts when Gardenia messages you out of the blue with a single line email.

quote:

I like raw food

quote:

Like what?

quote:

Octopus.

quote:

Hm?
What are you talking about?

quote:

The texture. I prefer octopi, squids, and sea cucumbers. Anything with a chewy texture.
I especially love the suction cups.
End email chain.

nowadays this would be text bullshit with your bff at 2 in the morning.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 4, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

They should of aired gundam x on toonami instead of g gundam is what my thoughts are now years after the fact
agreed

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Dunno how the anime adaptation fared.

it's like twelve episodes and half of the dialogue is Shugo and Rena shouting each other's names constantly

the actual story is okay though

anyway my favourite email chain is where wiseman tries to get kite to get into playing the digimon tcg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

the toonami guys wanted x and turn-a, but sunrise insisted on 0079

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aaaay I got a vaccine appointment for next Saturday

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
gently caress yeah dude

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

the toonami guys wanted x and turn-a, but sunrise insisted on 0079

Why were they so stupid

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got my second shot yesterday and just felt a bit achy today instead of feeling like death so I chalk that up as a win.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You know what wouldn't get cancelled by 9/11? Turn-a gundam

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's called that because you turn-a gundam 360 degrees and walk away

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I love the .hack music. Very cool poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bHgx8qIQ6s

The actual show never really resonated with me, but I hear they did cool poo poo with gender and irl/online lives.

I just remember the whole "people locked in the MMO" being a really unique take and post-Matrix

Stairmaster posted:

Why were they so stupid
It's not a terrible idea to get people invested in the UC Era by going with the first show (and hopefully building an audience that takes them through the rest of that mainline while also tossing Wing, Turn-A, 8th MS Team, etc in Midnight Run).

In theory.

In practice the dated animation was a hard sell compared to Wing, the plot was super-reliant on you watching and keeping up with everything, and it just seemed like a slog in the middle of the pack.

Then, yeah, 9-11 happened, but that was a nice excuse.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm in the part of x where it's not as good

but for the first like fifteen eps i would've wholeheartedly agreed

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FilthyImp posted:

I love the .hack music. Very cool poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bHgx8qIQ6s

*wipes away tear*
One of the best CDs I've ever bought.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Stairmaster posted:

hey space flower can you tell me the lore about the mother of the spiders

Ungoliant (Sindarin IPA: [uŋˈɡoljant] - "Dark Spider") was a primordial taking the shape of a gigantic spider. She was initially an ally of Melkor in Aman, and for a short time in Middle-earth as well. She was a distant mother of Shelob, and the oldest and first giant spider of Arda.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*releases the spyce*

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Minjo posted:

Ungoliant (Sindarin IPA: [uŋˈɡoljant] - "Dark Spider") was a primordial taking the shape of a gigantic spider. She was initially an ally of Melkor in Aman, and for a short time in Middle-earth as well. She was a distant mother of Shelob, and the oldest and first giant spider of Arda.

For centuries, Black Arachnia the Broodmother lurked in the dark lava tubes beneath the smoldering caldera of Mount Pyrotheos, raising millions of spiderlings in safety before sending them to find prey in the wide world above. In a later age, the Vizier of Greed, Ptholopthales, erected his lodestone ziggurat on the slopes of the dead volcano, knowing that any looters who sought his magnetic wealth must survive the spider-haunted passages.

After millennia of maternal peace, Black Arachnia found herself beset by a steady trickle of furfeet and cutpurses, bold knights and noble youths--all of them delicious, certainly, and yet tending to create a less than nurturing environment for her innocent offspring. Tiring of the intrusions, she paid a visit to Ptholopthales; and when he proved unwilling to discuss a compromise, she wrapped the Vizier in silk and set him aside to be the centerpiece of a special birthday feast.

Unfortunately, the absence of the Magnetic Ziggurat's master merely emboldened a new generation of intruders. When one of her newborns was trodden underfoot by a clumsy adventurer, she reached the end of her silken rope. Broodmother headed for the surface, declaring her intent to rid the world of each and every possible invader, down to the last Hero if necessary, until she could ensure her nursery might once more be a safe and wholesome environment for her precious spiderspawn.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Stone Ocean anime confirmed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arbite posted:

Stone Ocean anime confirmed.

Really cool detail: The VA playing Jolyne is Half-Japanese Half-Egyptian, and she got into voice-acting because her and her friends would fandub the JoJo's manga and the first two seasons of the anime into arabic. Must be a dream role for her.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

Really cool detail: The VA playing Jolyne is Half-Japanese Half-Egyptian, and she got into voice-acting because her and her friends would fandub the JoJo's manga and the first two seasons of the anime into arabic. Must be a dream role for her.

drat, that fuckin rules

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

For centuries, Black Arachnia the Broodmother lurked in the dark lava tubes beneath the smoldering caldera of Mount Pyrotheos, raising millions of spiderlings in safety before sending them to find prey in the wide world above. In a later age, the Vizier of Greed, Ptholopthales, erected his lodestone ziggurat on the slopes of the dead volcano, knowing that any looters who sought his magnetic wealth must survive the spider-haunted passages.

After millennia of maternal peace, Black Arachnia found herself beset by a steady trickle of furfeet and cutpurses, bold knights and noble youths--all of them delicious, certainly, and yet tending to create a less than nurturing environment for her innocent offspring. Tiring of the intrusions, she paid a visit to Ptholopthales; and when he proved unwilling to discuss a compromise, she wrapped the Vizier in silk and set him aside to be the centerpiece of a special birthday feast.

Unfortunately, the absence of the Magnetic Ziggurat's master merely emboldened a new generation of intruders. When one of her newborns was trodden underfoot by a clumsy adventurer, she reached the end of her silken rope. Broodmother headed for the surface, declaring her intent to rid the world of each and every possible invader, down to the last Hero if necessary, until she could ensure her nursery might once more be a safe and wholesome environment for her precious spiderspawn.

The oldest Divine Beast, the Demon Lord, and the Ruler of Gluttony. She is actually the Origin Taratect, the progenitor of the entire taratect spider-monster species, All taratects are her kin and offspring, directly descended from her

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Which Sailor Moon series would be best for a complete newbie?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The general consensus is that Crystal is the more faithful version to the manga but also that that isn’t the best thing overall. The OG series is a dumb slice of life monster of the week show with some plot occasionally thats enjoyable because it’s proud of what it is. That’s my hot Sailor Moon (vanilla) take.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the monster of the week stuff allows some breathing room for characterization that Crystal barrels past.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
So reading the manga and watching the OG series would be ok or too confusing?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

macabresca posted:

Which Sailor Moon series would be best for a complete newbie?

Honestly? The original Sailor Moon anime is probably the best into.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

macabresca posted:

So reading the manga and watching the OG series would be ok or too confusing?

It’s different takes on the same story but those are the only complete versions of it so far yeah.

But yeah, I personally recommend the 90’s series. There’s also the live action series Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. It’s kind of low budget and the fight scenes leave a lot to be desired but it’s a fun show with good development for the entire cast and some neat new twists on the first arc of the series.

Crystal and the manga go way too fast for my liking and don’t really give a lot of development to anyone besides the title character until around the middle or so.

There’s also Codename: Sailor V, a more comedy focused manga the same author did prior to Sailor Moon that serves as something of a prequel to the series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only thing ill say about the 90s series is it takes like 30 episodes for all five of the main sailor scouts to be together and the series is definitely at its strongest when theyre together. i think the manga/crystal is worse for lacking that much runtime but its also much more digestible

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/julienforts/status/1378673399044710407?s=20

Holy poo poo. :kimchi:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Here's an interview with Ai Fairouz, where she talks a bit about herself, how she got into jojos and into voice acting. Contains some part 6 spoilers though https://seiyuuplus.wordpress.com/2019/12/23/227-fairouz-ai/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

the only thing ill say about the 90s series is it takes like 30 episodes for all five of the main sailor scouts to be together and the series is definitely at its strongest when theyre together. i think the manga/crystal is worse for lacking that much runtime but its also much more digestible

Speaking of Crystal, has there been any word yet as to when the Eternal movies are coming to Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

There’s also Codename: Sailor V, a more comedy focused manga the same author did prior to Sailor Moon that serves as something of a prequel to the series.

Lol, so all that backstory for Venus about her being an international agent and all her action figures/video games was from an actual series and not just background. If so that owns.

:hai: