Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

The best part of Doom 3 is reloading the plasma rifle and I am not joking in the slightest.

Its so satisfying. Just, audio perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Its so satisfying. Just, audio perfection.

god yes

Unlike the pistol reload which is really shrill to my ears

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What FPS has the best gunfire, reload, and general foley sound effects?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

The best part of Doom 3 is reloading the plasma rifle and I am not joking in the slightest.

Just put that sound in everything, pluging in phone charger, putting gas pump in car, pushing down toaster, everything.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

receiver if you include the player fumbling with the keyboard and swearing

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Outlaws

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Quake 2 has really beefy sounding shotguns even if they're not great in practice, and the railgun sound is an all timer. shame about the rest of the game though

RTCW has some great sounds and reload animations for its time but lacks a shotgun entirely which is inexcusable

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Quake 1 has the best gunfire sounds.

Don't know about best reload and general sounds though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 with the "war tapes" option enabled

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
do you remember the great doom 3 duct tape flashlight controversy?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

was thinking about this playing Halflife: Alex last night, where you can hold a flashlight in one hand and a gun in the other

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What exactly was the controversy? Or was it the whole "you can't have the flashlight and gun out at the same time" thing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BisterdDave posted:

What exactly was the controversy? Or was it the whole "you can't have the flashlight and gun out at the same time" thing?

Yeah, that was it. One of the first mods for the game was one that fixed this and it was named "duct tape"

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

BisterdDave posted:

That's it, in a nutshell. I can't say I minded how it upped the intensity of the game's dark spaces, though Carmack indicated years later that the only real reason the limit existed was because it was too hard on low-end systems to have the flashlight on AND shadows rendered AND dynamic lights from muzzleflashes going. Which, as someone who remembers playing the game on a 1.7GHz Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM and a Geforce3 Ti 200, I can believe.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Hasturtium posted:

That's it, in a nutshell. I can't say I minded how it upped the intensity of the game's dark spaces, though Carmack indicated years later that the only real reason the limit existed was because it was too hard on low-end systems to have the flashlight on AND shadows rendered AND dynamic lights from muzzleflashes going. Which, as someone who remembers playing the game on a 1.7GHz Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM and a Geforce3 Ti 200, I can believe.

I remember wanting Doom 3 so bad but I only had like a GeForce FX 5200 and an Athlon XP 2000 (because I was a broke-rear end high schooler), so it was a slide show like, most of the time. Still beat it. But yeah, not surprising they tried to put limits on the amount of dynamic lighting stuff at the time.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

It was pretty astonishing how much better HL2 ran considering it actually looked better in a lot of regards.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Quake 2.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

shoeberto posted:

It was pretty astonishing how much better HL2 ran considering it actually looked better in a lot of regards.

It did, though the scaling to different hardware was accomplished by the game shipping with four different renderer configurations and lots of per-card specific settings. Additionally, while the game would scale all the way down to a Geforce256, you lost a lot visually getting there. Outside the simple pixel shaders used for heat distortion and a couple of other effects, and differences in palettized vs swizzle-compressed normal maps, Doom 3 looked strikingly similar across the board, but you paid for it in performance demands.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Black :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX0E_PGhbXs

(though I feel like the sound fx for the un-suppressed MAC-10 and Uzi are hosed up)

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 4, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Unpopular (?) opinion: I don't like how thick Prodeus' bullet weapon projectiles are.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I like Killing Floor 2s sounds and animations, animated at 200fps if I'm remembering right. Also has tactical reload perks, with actual different animations and aren't just the regular ones sped up :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dLRqDSQJ4

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 with the "war tapes" option enabled

Oh yes. The sound design on Bad Company 2 is just so good. When first enabled War Tapes I never came back.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

shoeberto posted:

I remember wanting Doom 3 so bad but I only had like a GeForce FX 5200 and an Athlon XP 2000 (because I was a broke-rear end high schooler), so it was a slide show like, most of the time. Still beat it. But yeah, not surprising they tried to put limits on the amount of dynamic lighting stuff at the time.

So do you remember if the FX5200 came with a copy of Splinter Cell—ostensibly to demonstrate the card’s capabilities with the game’s lighting engine?

Because I remember owning an FX5xxx for a short while that came with a copy of the game, only it ran like complete garbage because the card was woefully inadequate for the task. It did not make a great first impression.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Team Fortress 2 and Killing Floor 2 definitely are towards the top when it comes to sound design

HolyKrap posted:

I like Killing Floor 2s sounds and animations, animated at 200fps if I'm remembering right. Also has tactical reload perks, with actual different animations and aren't just the regular ones sped up :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dLRqDSQJ4

Agreed, the work they put into the guns is stellar

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nobody ever believes me when i talk up the doom 3 plasma gun and how it's the best in the series

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So do you remember if the FX5200 came with a copy of Splinter Cell—ostensibly to demonstrate the card’s capabilities with the game’s lighting engine?

Because I remember owning an FX5xxx for a short while that came with a copy of the game, only it ran like complete garbage because the card was woefully inadequate for the task. It did not make a great first impression.

Negative, I think mine came with Painkiller maybe? Different manufacturers for the same chipset if I had to guess. It actually played pretty decently. But yeah, that card was capital-B Budget level.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Johnny Joestar posted:

nobody ever believes me when i talk up the doom 3 plasma gun and how it's the best in the series

it’s probably top 3 easy, but better than the d][ ssg? That’s a take, there

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

well, my take is that the doom 3 plasma gun the best plasma gun in the series, people can go wherever they want with the rest of the guns. i generally feel the rest of the arsenal in doom 3 is decently okay, with the chaingun being a standout somewhat, but otherwise lacking in oomph.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I’ve always loved that weird cyber...”oink”? that the Doom 1 & 2 plasma gun made. Very unique.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Johnny Joestar posted:

well, my take is that the doom 3 plasma gun the best plasma gun in the series, people can go wherever they want with the rest of the guns. i generally feel the rest of the arsenal in doom 3 is decently okay, with the chaingun being a standout somewhat, but otherwise lacking in oomph.

Ohhhhhhhh that scans.

I think it’s probably my fourth favorite weapon in all dooms, after the d][ ssg, eternal ssg, and 2016 ssg

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I’ve always loved that weird cyber...”oink”? that the Doom 1 & 2 plasma gun made. Very unique.

Yeah was going to say I love just about everything involved with the OG plasma gun. That sound, the look, how you pull it back when you stop firing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah was going to say I love just about everything involved with the OG plasma gun. That sound, the look, how you pull it back when you stop firing.

From a gameplay perspective, it has an interesting delay to the first shot, that compensates the otherwise big rate of fire. In a way it works a bit like a chaingun in other games, more like the actual chaingun included in Doom that is more like a rifle.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My only beef with plasma guns in games is that they don't roast enemies. In OG Doom, Doom 3, and Doom 2K16, you're just firing glowy bullets. I wanna see demon BBQ!!

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I am absolutely losing my mind that this is the only official way to play timesplitters 2 in hd.

https://twitter.com/bigevilboss/status/1378688148855795719

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

From a gameplay perspective, it has an interesting delay to the first shot, that compensates the otherwise big rate of fire. In a way it works a bit like a chaingun in other games, more like the actual chaingun included in Doom that is more like a rifle.

Yeah, a while back I mentioned how Doom Zero removing the plasma delay made it a less interesting weapon. It's a good crowd control weapon and good for focusing down high tier enemies but the delay makes it bad for taking down scattered trash and hitscanners, since the delay means you either waste a lot of ammo by continuing to fire or let off and open yourself up to potential damage. Having it fire instantly just makes it an all purpose strong gun--which Doom otherwise doesn't have, every single weapon has considerable situational downsides. That's a big reason Doom's arsenal is so dynamic.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Disproportionation posted:

I am absolutely losing my mind that this is the only official way to play timesplitters 2 in hd.

https://twitter.com/bigevilboss/status/1378688148855795719

So basically there's a fully ready to go HD remaster of Timesplitters 2 just sitting around and nobody wants to charge me money for it?

Get your poo poo together, Deep Silver!

Also buying Homefront: The Revolution just to play TS2 is the 2020s version of "buying ZOE for the MGS2 demo" except only one of the games is good :v:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Angry_Ed posted:

So basically there's a fully ready to go HD remaster of Timesplitters 2 just sitting around and nobody wants to charge me money for it?

Get your poo poo together, Deep Silver!

The machine only has the first two levels of the campaign, so not quite fully ready.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spongeh posted:

The machine only has the first two levels of the campaign, so not quite fully ready.

Apparently there was a code to unlock the other levels but it's been lost to time and someone did a hex edit to mod access to the levels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Apparently there was a code to unlock the other levels but it's been lost to time and someone did a hex edit to mod access to the levels.

Homefront The Revolution is going for under 5€ on HumbleBundle right now and I'd pay for it just to access the whole TimeSplitters 2 in there. Is there any link to the mod to unlock that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Homefront The Revolution is going for under 5€ on HumbleBundle right now and I'd pay for it just to access the whole TimeSplitters 2 in there. Is there any link to the mod to unlock that?

None that I could see it was further down that twitter thread.

Also he said there isn't multiplayer so yeah it's not quite "fully playable" in the sense of having everything, but that's a lot more than "there is no TS2 HD Remaster at all lol did you like our little joke?" from THQ Nordic.