Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Mr. Fix It posted:

why so mad, they finally made your people's most important gesture an emoji

[timg]racist poo poo[/timg]

I would like if it were not ok to call my family ghouls on SA, just because they came to the US from Italy to become Americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

fuggedaboudit

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
don't worry, in ten years time these posts will be relitigated in QCS and the authors perma'd.

you're before your time.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Scholtz posted:

fuggedaboudit

this all started with people just poking fun about languages.

when it turns into the blanket stereotyping of an entire group of people into racist caricatures, it is a problem

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Slush Garbo posted:

this all started with people just poking fun about languages.

when it turns into the blanket stereotyping of an entire group of people into racist caricatures, it is a problem

lol. lmao

How!
Oct 29, 2009

*that noise when Mario gets hit*

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I am British/German.
There is nothing funny or offensive one could say about me at all.

Or is there...?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

RickRogers posted:

I am British/German.
There is nothing funny or offensive one could say about me at all.

Or is there...?

stfu you limey kraut

:nws: offensive af don't look

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
here's one for everyone else: it's never racist to do a white Australian person's accent.

it's always hilarious, do it as much as you want, you all get a free pass on this one

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Memento posted:

here's one for everyone else: it's never racist to do a white Australian person's accent.

it's always hilarious, do it as much as you want, you all get a free pass on this one

Don’t try to do a New Zealand one though. Not because it’s racist, but because I have never seen anyone foreign attempt it and succeed and I’m just embarrassed for yuz

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Memento posted:

It's racist because if you impersonate them, you have to talk like a racist.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shithouse Dave posted:

Don’t try to do a New Zealand one though. Not because it’s racist, but because I have never seen anyone foreign attempt it and succeed and I’m just embarrassed for yuz

foosh and choops

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Shithouse Dave posted:

Do Aussies trying it count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVHZwI8pcA

I show this whenever people ask me how to do a kiwi accent, and it's helped me to realize an easy way: swap vowels around. Change every letter A to an E, E becomes I, I becomes O, O becomes U and U becomes A. Isn't universal, for example I'd say Auckland is pronounced Ucklind, bit it'll get you pretty close.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

frankenfreak posted:

It's racist because if you impersonate them, you have to talk like a racist.

:hmmyes:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Mr. Fix It posted:

stfu you limey kraut

Oh my!

(Wait is it all only racist if you have travelled to a new country and tried to renounce your old evil ways?)

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

:whitewater:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is bad enough tbh.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

My phone won't crop it any smaller, imagine it just says 'Police'

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

We're grading on a curve here.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Mamma mia :sweatdrop:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I mean, the police not having guns is definitely a step in the right direction

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not like heaven's law enforcement is any better. Look at the wrong thing? BAM! Pillar of salt

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

RickRogers posted:

Oh my!

(Wait is it all only racist if you have travelled to a new country and tried to renounce your old evil ways?)

that sign is kind of amusing despite its FW:FW:BOOMERHUMOR vibe

some of the posts upstream were over the top and come off as hateful imo

Bismuth posted:

Mamma mia :sweatdrop:

no ones tryna cancel mario here, it cool

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Slush Garbo posted:

that sign is kind of amusing despite its FW:FW:BOOMERHUMOR vibe

some of the posts upstream were over the top and come off as hateful imo

I get where you are coming from, though I have no idea where "the line" or intent is in this really.
As an immigrant from one easily mockable culture/country to another another it is already a no win situation for me.
Achtung, Humbug n' gravy meine Herrn etc
:shrug:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Italian Americans predate Italy. Also they are white, and you can't be racist against white people, on account of they hold all the race cards.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Italians aren't a race

or is every nation a race now :colbert:

Let me hate on nations. Let me hate on Finland, specifically

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh no, you lit the Jerry Cotton signal, this thread will be incomprehensible to 99% of posters in minutes.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
At first I reject this since muscular femboys seemed wrong, but then I realized you don't need to want to grow big muscles to go the gym, maybe you just want to get fit.

Thank you memes thread for making me understand a concept's hidden depth.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

RickRogers posted:

I get where you are coming from, though I have no idea where "the line" or intent is in this really.
As an immigrant from one easily mockable culture/country to another another it is already a no win situation for me.
Achtung, Humbug n' gravy meine Herrn etc
:shrug:

for me, the line is when you use blanket stereotypes to marginalize an entire group of people in a hateful way. the following jokes are bad because they can be taken out of context by assholes and help justify ignorant, xenophobic beliefs. this sort of discourse gives passive approval to racists and hate groups.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Let's be honest, there's nothing more useless than Italians. The 70's Elvis of cultures.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah but that's good. Just eating and loving(?) all the time is good.

Not useful to me what other people do with their free time but inspirational.

Italian-Americans though, yeesh. Appropriating cosa nostra and ending up being Uncle Jerry on McMillions. Gabaghouls.

Literally the only contributions to American culture by the Italians were the video game plumber and the pepto bismol spicy meatball guy, and those dudes were, respectively, japanese and greek.

*grabs crotch suggestively*

Ayy, due to my upbringing in an extremely toxic and hypermasculine environment that exalts machismo over intellectualism I lack the cognitive abilities to verbally express myself intelligently ova hiyah!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

stfu you limey kraut

Good thing there are no world famous British chefs

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Slush Garbo posted:

for me, the line is when you use blanket stereotypes to marginalize an entire group of people in a hateful way. the following jokes are bad because they can be taken out of context by assholes and help justify ignorant, xenophobic beliefs. this sort of discourse gives passive approval to racists and hate groups.

I'm italian-american and I can say while in certain cases, there is real discrimination, this stuff really ain't.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

toanoradian posted:

At first I reject this since muscular femboys seemed wrong, but then I realized you don't need to want to grow big muscles to go the gym, maybe you just want to get fit.

Thank you memes thread for making me understand a concept's hidden depth.

My assumption was the femboys aren't working out, they're hanging out at the gym to find beefy hunky boys.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

BonHair posted:

Italian Americans predate Italy. Also they are white, and you can't be racist against white people, on account of they hold all the race cards.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Italians aren't a race

or is every nation a race now :colbert:

Let me hate on nations. Let me hate on Finland, specifically

these are good questions/points

what "White" means has changed over the centuries and is still largely dependent on where/who the designator is

hating on a specific nationality that looks and acts differently is racist behavior, yeah

Samovar posted:

I'm italian-american and I can say while in certain cases, there is real discrimination, this stuff really ain't.

oh cool I didn't know we had a spokesperson :rolleyes: i bet u have lots of cool opinions based on "I'm not offended so what's the problem"

I'm only gonna post memes now, here is one of my favs

Slush Garbo has a new favorite as of 13:24 on Apr 4, 2021

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
The mods don't care about hate speech unless it hurts their feelings personally, and it's really hard to remember what will set any one of them off at any given time. It's a losing battle :(

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

PizzaProwler posted:

The mods don't care about hate speech unless it hurts their feelings personally, and it's really hard to remember what will set any one of them off at any given time. It's a losing battle :(

I'm sorry, O know I mustn't, but "Pizza Prowler" lmfao.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slush Garbo posted:

oh cool I didn't know we had a spokesperson :rolleyes: i bet u have lots of cool opinions based on "I'm not offended so what's the problem"

there's no :ironicat: big enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was six months ago that someone ate a probe for calling a celebrity Frenchman a “frog”.

It still brings a smile to my face.