Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

PS. the Shinning sucks rear end and the book is better.

Where he runs around with a croquet mallet instead of an axe? :v:

What I like in the books is that Jack is and remains a good guy but he becomes possessed by some demonic entity that makes him do the things he does. Eventually it just kills Jack and takes over. In the movie Jack is an rear end in a top hat who becomes a crazy murderous assholes.

Also watching the movie first and then reading the book is great because Hallorann is such an obvious red shirt and he even writes his testament before coming and then he just straight up saves the day and I was so happy for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

interesting. so maybe there is some truth to all of it.

I think enough people have seen how this stuff goes at this point to realize that, guilty or not, flailing around on stream or social media is a really bad idea and people will pick you to pieces no matter what you say. I don’t think that’s an indication of anything being true or false, it’s just being smart and uninterested in Twitter trench warfare

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Katt posted:

What I like in the books is that Jack is and remains a good guy but he becomes possessed by some demonic entity that makes him do the things he does. Eventually it just kills Jack and takes over. In the movie Jack is an rear end in a top hat who becomes a crazy murderous assholes.

Also watching the movie first and then reading the book is great because Hallorann is such an obvious red shirt and he even writes his testament before coming and then he just straight up saves the day and I was so happy for him.

Uh, Jack is an alcoholic with anger issues, including breaking Danny's arm at a point in the past. The reason he succumbs to the hotel's pressure is because of these issues. Not exactly what I'd call a 'good guy'.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Garrand posted:

Uh, Jack is an alcoholic with anger issues, including breaking Danny's arm at a point in the past. The reason he succumbs to the hotel's pressure is because of these issues. Not exactly what I'd call a 'good guy'.

Jack was an alcoholic but while out driving, him and his friend ran over a "ghost bike" which caused him and his friend to quit drinking which also saved his marriage.

There isn't even any alcohol in the entire hotel (except for cooking sherry which is constantly pointed out that he hasn't touched) but he becomes drunk through ghostly/demonic possession.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Feeling bad for Ernie Cline now WB have worked out they can just put a billion ips into the background of basically any movie the Ready Player Two movie is looking less and less likely.

IMO the strangest part of the RPO movie was how they presented The Shining as the spookiest, scariest most spine-tingling horror movie ever made rather than the tense thriller it actually is. They recreated the sets in sumptious detail but it felt like nobody had actually watched the movie when they wrote the script.

Maybe its that thing where old horror movies lose their bite over time? Did the shining spook Speilberg real bad back in 1980?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mr Phillby posted:

IMO the strangest part of the RPO movie was how they presented The Shining as the spookiest, scariest most spine-tingling horror movie ever made rather than the tense thriller it actually is. They recreated the sets in sumptious detail but it felt like nobody had actually watched the movie when they wrote the script.

That, frankly, seems to be the case with every thing IN RPO.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

Feeling bad for Ernie Cline now WB have worked out they can just put a billion ips into the background of basically any movie the Ready Player Two movie is looking less and less likely.

Maybe its that thing where old horror movies lose their bite over time? Did the shining spook Speilberg real bad back in 1980?

Ready Player Two being an absolute garbage fire of a novel is more likely why there's no movie of it being made.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ready Player Two being an absolute garbage fire of a novel is more likely why there's no movie of it being made.

That didn't stop the original!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

Definitely not. I sometimes rewatch John Carpenter's The Thing, for example and it still holds up incredibly well. (Though it probably helps that all the creature effects are actually physically there. CGI, even really good looking CGI, is always cursed by having to do the uphill battle of not having physical presence, with knock-on effects like actors having to fight more to emote fear if there's nothing they can even see to react to, stuff like that. You have to think about it this way: Getting assaulted by weird puppets can still be scary, even if they look a bit silly, but it's really hard to get spooked by a bit of harmless light swooshing by. And actors in horror movies often don't even get that "harmless light" part of CGI, they get nothing. )

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

That didn't stop the original!

Yeah but the same people who developed a cult like obsession with the original flipped out when the leaks came out about the seque andl they tried to disavow it as a bunch of 4chan sourced ideas because it was so terrible. Then it turned out the leaks were 100% true and people on reddit tried to find some explanation for why it was so bad, like he crowdsourced out the writing or something.

In the 10 years since the original there was a massive culture shift in a lot of ways, and suddenly RP2 comes out and is basically worse in every way, plus has a ton of really inappropriate "gamer moments" that are portrayed as seemingly normal.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Libluini posted:

Definitely not. I sometimes rewatch John Carpenter's The Thing, for example and it still holds up incredibly well. (Though it probably helps that all the creature effects are actually physically there. CGI, even really good looking CGI, is always cursed by having to do the uphill battle of not having physical presence, with knock-on effects like actors having to fight more to emote fear if there's nothing they can even see to react to, stuff like that. You have to think about it this way: Getting assaulted by weird puppets can still be scary, even if they look a bit silly, but it's really hard to get spooked by a bit of harmless light swooshing by. And actors in horror movies often don't even get that "harmless light" part of CGI, they get nothing. )

The Thing will always be a gold standard example for why practical effects are important.

Even something as simple as when they chase the guy outside and he reveals those long gory hands that haven't come into shape yet still gives me a little spine chill.

I don't need the audio to hear the sound that Bennings-Thing is making there either, poo poo is ingrained deep in the brain.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 4, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

PS. the Shinning sucks rear end and the book is better.

I hate the movie, and I especially hate the ending compared to the book. The way Jack dies in the movie sucks.

And I know they didn't have the technology really at the time, but no hedge animals coming to life?? Get out of here

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
They cut the scene where LeBron reforms Pepe le Pew using the Ludovico Technique.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If Spielberg ever says he wants to adapt RP2 then it would absolutely happen because who's gonna say no to him?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I don't get the sense that people are now believing the text dump. They're believing the people who are in close proximity to him who say that they've witnessed or heard accounts of something not good going on, but its also so vague that I, as an outsider, don't feel comfortable speculating about it.

Ariong posted:

Oh, I just realized I have a question that's actually relevant to the thread. I really liked Down the Rabbit Hole and Hbomberguy's And Here's Why series for stuff to have on in the background while I do things. I've gone through them all and am now relistening. (Except the CentOS one, that one was so depressing I turned it off halfway through.) Anyone have a recommendation for another video series that's similar to either of these?

Down The Rabbit hole-esque:
Anomaly Documentaries
Oki Weird Stories
Zelcher Productions
Atrocity Guide
Eldena Doubleca5t's Mssscribe and Tumblr Witch videos
Bandsplaining

Generally more Hbomb-esque:
Quinn Curio
Jack Saint
Coldcrashpictures
Infranaut

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

[*]Today I Found Out: An "interesting facts" channel, tends to highlight less-known historic stories.[/list]

One time I binged on that channel video and somehow that guy managed to poop out a video defending McDonalds on the McDonalds Coffee Lawsuit in 2016. Like after nearly everyone figured that McD's hosed up hard on that. I'll have to go watch that channel again at some point, but seeing the smarmy, constant :3 expression on his face made me remove him from rotation for quite a few years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Maybe one day they'll release the Practical Effects Cut of The Thing 2011.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Maybe one day they'll release the Practical Effects Cut of The Thing 2011.

I really wish they would, that story always blows my mind with how god awful the CGI in it is, that THAT was the version they wanted to release.

Although, even if they fix the effects, the story is still a mess in that thing too. Oh drat, a guy that turned out to be a Thing got on the evac going out of the place, what the hell's gonna happen when it reaches more peop- oh, it's just hulking out for no reason, attacking people, crashing the chopper and killing itself. *Insert slide whistle here*

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 4, 2021

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Kunster posted:

One time I binged on that channel video and somehow that guy managed to poop out a video defending McDonalds on the McDonalds Coffee Lawsuit in 2016. Like after nearly everyone figured that McD's hosed up hard on that. I'll have to go watch that channel again at some point, but seeing the smarmy, constant :3 expression on his face made me remove him from rotation for quite a few years.

In what way was he doing that? I just watched it and he seems quite critical of the way they handled the situation. He pointed out how their attitude in court lost them the lawsuit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Samovar posted:

That, frankly, seems to be the case with every thing IN RPO.

Yeah, that Cline writes Halliday as somebody who only engages with the most superficial aspects of something and really only likes them because 'things seemed better when I was younger' is entirely on brand for Cline. I mean, he didn't do it intentionally as a critique because that's the entire book as that's how Cline himself engages with things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still dread to imagine what Ernest Cline's original script of Fanboys looked like before Jay Baruchel and Seth Rogan rewrote it to be usable.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bakeneko posted:

In what way was he doing that? I just watched it and he seems quite critical of the way they handled the situation. He pointed out how their attitude in court lost them the lawsuit.

You're right, now that I watched it again.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still dread to imagine what Ernest Cline's original script of Fanboys looked like before Jay Baruchel and Seth Rogan rewrote it to be usable.

I remember really enjoying that movie when it came out and I watched it again a few months ago and maaaaan it does not hold up. It's just as bad as RPO imo. Brainless references and casual bigotry galore.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the reason why i like the movie "the shining" is because it really feels sincerely claustrophobic and centers much more around the horror stemming from "what if your family/husband was really wrong, like inherently, and you were the most trapped with them anyone could be". the focus shifting to this theme (even if its just incidental) i think is way better than having to subject youself to having to read a full sized king novel

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jamie Faith posted:

I remember really enjoying that movie when it came out and I watched it again a few months ago and maaaaan it does not hold up. It's just as bad as RPO imo. Brainless references and casual bigotry galore.

Does RPO the movie do the same thing as the book where it'll slam the brakes on the story to dissect the references for entire pages like you made the mistake of mentioning some piece of 80's trivia to Ernest Cline in passing at a party and now he's got you cornered while talking down about all the subtle nuances of Pac-Man's killscreen and oh god someone please give you an excuse to get away... :yikes:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Brainless references and casual bigotry galore.

That's most of what I remember from Seth Rogen in general, that and being the stereotypical annoying DUDEWEED type guy.

I guess he did give us a full frontal shot of Jason Mewes's dick in Zack & Miri though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does RPO the movie do the same thing as the book where it'll slam the brakes on the story to dissect the references for entire pages like you made the mistake of mentioning some piece of 80's trivia to Ernest Cline in passing at a party and now he's got you cornered while talking down about all the subtle nuances of Pac-Man's killscreen and oh god someone please give you an excuse to get away... :yikes:

Oh, no, mostly it's just an extended Where's Waldo game of spot the references although it does take the time to point out some of the references like "IT'S KANEDA'S BIKE FROM AKIRA" and also at one point everybody hilariously flipping out over Chucky.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pentyne posted:

Yeah but the same people who developed a cult like obsession with the original flipped out when the leaks came out about the seque andl they tried to disavow it as a bunch of 4chan sourced ideas because it was so terrible. Then it turned out the leaks were 100% true and people on reddit tried to find some explanation for why it was so bad, like he crowdsourced out the writing or something.

In the 10 years since the original there was a massive culture shift in a lot of ways, and suddenly RP2 comes out and is basically worse in every way, plus has a ton of really inappropriate "gamer moments" that are portrayed as seemingly normal.
No such shift took place, the only change was that people made fun of them this time. So it made fans self conscious.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
How to Drink disguised a quick look at pre-Code era Hollywood movies as one of his videos and it's pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cdtjUIzyI&hd=1

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Katt posted:

Yeah. Like I think it’s a good movie on its own but it’s such a weird/bad adaptation, that I don’t really care for it. The whole book scene where the hotel just smash’s jacks face in and then guides his body around like a limping puppet is great.

fun hater posted:

the reason why i like the movie "the shining" is because it really feels sincerely claustrophobic and centers much more around the horror stemming from "what if your family/husband was really wrong, like inherently, and you were the most trapped with them anyone could be". the focus shifting to this theme (even if its just incidental) i think is way better than having to subject youself to having to read a full sized king novel
Too each there own. I can appreciate that.

Mr.Radar posted:

For channels similar to Down the Rabbit Hole I've got a few to recommendations to throw in though they tend towards the shorter/shallower end of the spectrum in terms of average video length:
  • ChubbyEmu: Medical case studies that will make you never want to eat gas station food again.
  • Fascinating Horror: Covers various types of disasters, such as historic fires, building collapses, theme park disasters, poisonings, etc. Disasterthon is a smaller channel directly inspired by Fascinating Horror that covers the same subjects.
  • Plainly Difficult: Covers industrial disasters, especially nuclear accidents. Has recently started covering ethically-dubious science experiments too.
  • Today I Found Out: An "interesting facts" channel, tends to highlight less-known historic stories.

Thanks those look great.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The movie's really carried a decent bit by Jack Nicholson playing such a good crazy person.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

The movie's really carried a decent bit by Jack Nicholson playing such a good crazy person.

this. he does a great job for what the movie is. he is just kinda of bad choice for the role because he looks a monster mash the entire movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

and thats why i am sorta "fine" with the dumb space jam 2 poo poo. it looks like a hot mess and it has the loving droogs and etc in the background but least its not written by ernst cline.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ernest Cline doesn't know any subtle nuances about Pac-Man's killscreen, he'll just tell you that it's there, then immediately move on to some other inane bit of trivia that everyone with a passing interest in the subject already knows.

E: Ernest Cline is the kind of person who'd tell you, in all sincerity, as if it was a profound and secret piece of wisdom that you couldn't possibly learn from anyone but the High Council of Ultra-Geekdom, that it's called Doki Doki Panic in Japan.

He would not be able to tell you why.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dabir posted:

Ernest Cline doesn't know any subtle nuances about Pac-Man's killscreen, he'll just tell you that it's there, then immediately move on to some other inane bit of trivia that everyone with a passing interest in the subject already knows.

E: Ernest Cline is the kind of person who'd tell you, in all sincerity, as if it was a profound and secret piece of wisdom that you couldn't possibly learn from anyone but the High Council of Ultra-Geekdom, that it's called Doki Doki Panic in Japan.

yeah. cline has a 12 in the encyclopedia part of his brain and like 1 in everything else.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dabir posted:

I think it's a generational thing where nerds who had their adolescence prior to exposure to the internet still cleave to an older oral tradition where you'd have to learn that stuff from an older nerd who works at the comic shop you go to.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The Shining gets a lot of points from me for the atmosphere of it all. But I understand it loses a lot as an adaptation.
(hedge animals are dumb tho!)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is there a single adaptation of a Stephen King book that was not improved 500x by not being a faithful adaptation

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Alaois posted:

is there a single adaptation of a Stephen King book that was not improved 500x by not being a faithful adaptation

Not in my opinion. the "It" books has the thing where the victims are savagely mutilated instead of kidnapped so there's no mystery about what happened to them or if they're still alive. Kids don't vanish in Derry. Kids are mauled to poo poo and the cops constantly have to make excuses to explain why it's no big deal that a kid was found dead in the streets with an arm torn off.

Or a teenager got half his torso ripped out in a single bite by "well the attacker was probably on drugs or something" and no suspects are ever apprehended for these dozens of murders and mutilations

Also both the kid and adult story happening at the same time means you never have to worry about the kids dying so there's no suspense when they're in dangerous situations

The glorification of suicide sadly made it into both the book and movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

doesn't the novel also have a child sex orgy that all adaptations leave out for obvious reasons