Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

just played a game of upward defense where I dominated a heavy solely from airblasting him off the cliff

It's a ton of fun. Sometimes you''ll get the medic too by sheer luck. And a few really lucky times you'll get half the team or more and people will hate you and tell you what a noob you are. It owns, pyro owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a ton of fun. Sometimes you''ll get the medic too by sheer luck. And a few really lucky times you'll get half the team or more and people will hate you and tell you what a noob you are. It owns, pyro owns

pyro is my favorite class. its an awesome feeling when you have a match where your airblast game is on point and you can absolutely shut down the other teams soldiers and maybe even get a badass reflected crit rocket kill out of it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i lvoe pyro because youre always doing something.

switching back and forth between weapons real quick, extinguishing teammates throwing a flare, reflecting rockets then flanking some dudes burning them airblasting them away quickswitch to flare hopefully hit a guy on fire etc

i switch weapons like a psycho and feel constantly engaged doing *something* for the team before inevitably walking into a sentry's line of sight and eating poo poo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Even running away as pyro is fun. (You run away a lot)

Sometimes you start running away, but then you have one of those James Bond intuition moments, whip around, and airblast a rocket that you never actually SAW or even heard, but just instinctively knew was there. Turn a corner, pray that whoever's firing at you hasn't jacked their interp up to the stratosphere to allow them to hit targets 40 years in the past, and ask yourself how the gently caress you got out of there alive. Then, ding, jetpack charge complete -- time to get back in there.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh i hate the jetpack lol. to me its flares or bust. I use the scorch shot because its so versatile but ive been using the detonator for better jumps and its a joy.

my favourite airblast thing is turning a corner and meeting a soldier face to face and perfectly nailing the reflex airblast. There's no thought to it really, theres years of playing as both soldier and pyro and instinctively knowing when the guy will fire.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ArfJason posted:

oh i hate the jetpack lol. to me its flares or bust.

Missin' out. I'm a backburner / jetpack pyro and I slay medics and snipers.

Backburner is practically required for casual, as there are guaranteed to be no fewer than 47 kunai/deadringer/diamondback spies whose 210 health plus dead ringer resistance are going to need to be blasted through, lest your entire team waddle in a single file into the most obvious stairstab or matador stab for 20 minutes straight. (Plus burning backs is fun)

I need a strange killstreak jetpack for tracking stomp kills.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i use the regular flamethrower and shotty but i love the axtinguisher for dumbass demoknights that randomly flail around at you. i didnt realize they nerfed it but its still pretty decent.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i dunno i just really like the versatility of secondaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQRGVMdY_M

like the shotty juggle at 0:50 wouldnt have been possible otherwise.
i get why ppl like the jetpack tho, but i cant live without my flares and or shotty (have stopped using shotty and became the kind of person i hate by switching to scorch shot)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Back before the airblast change, I'd spend days just running around on hightower, feeding people to the pit.

The only time when I sympathized with the "don't cap on hightower" people.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If I play pyro I basically just spam the flare gun/detonator/scorch shot at the best player/combo and annoy them. If they aren't used to this they can get so annoyed.

You aren't even really doing anything apart from making them retreat to heal but for some reason it's like psychological warfare for some people. Like it properly tilts them. It makes them incredibly angry.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 3, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's bizarre to me that people get so mad about the scorch shot and declare it overpowered. every time i've asked someone why it's overpowered they've given me some spiel about how it does like 120 damage per shot, a fact which relies on it directly hitting you with both the projectile and the bounce and then you just sitting there and burning to death instead of availing yourself of one of the 10 billion ways to put out fire. this like, never happens, nobody actually dies to the scorch shot. it's just the detonator but worse and annoying

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
to me the problem is that it does aoe on surface impact if you miss, which is Big Noob, it does a double hit, it does knockback, it does normal amount of afterburn damage and time, it lets you flare jump, it does extra damage on burning players and it destroys stickybombs. Individually none of these things really matter that much, but it does too many things for one single weapon.
I love that it can do so much, especially a reduced flare jump, but cant deny that there are several kills i shouldnt really have gotten because i missed a dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J8j-yMM2gM&t=114s
By all accounts that sniper at the end of my uber *shouldnt* have died because i missed BOTH flares.

e: on closer watch i also kill a second sniper by missing completely and hitting the wall behind him

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i have forgotten what this game looks like without pyrovision. i am yelling at people to stop eating the cake before i get to it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Xander77 posted:

Back before the airblast change, I'd spend days just running around on hightower, feeding people to the pit.

The only time when I sympathized with the "don't cap on hightower" people.

I don't think I've played a single hightower round, what gives? The wiki says it's a payload race, whatever that is.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think I've played a single hightower round, what gives? The wiki says it's a payload race, whatever that is.

It's under Alternate Game Modes because its actually just team deathmatch with no objective

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Hightower and Banana Bay are the only fun PLR maps in my opinion. Both have a lot of verticality and places were all classes can have fun or gimmick.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Enough youtubers posted videos of just dicking around on Hightower that it became a community rule that you're only allowed to dick around there. To the degree where if you try to capture the last point, you'll be scolded by your team and votekicked.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 3, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Hightower and Banana Bay are the only fun PLR maps in my opinion. Both have a lot of verticality and places were all classes can have fun or gimmick.

aw man no way, nightfall and especially pipeline are super underrated

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

how the gently caress

Ditocoaf posted:

Enough youtubers posted videos of just dicking around on Hightower that it became a community rule that you're only allowed to dick around there. To the degree where if you try to capture the last point, you'll be scolded by your team and votekicked.

idk man even with no youtubers my first few romps in there were just having fun DMing or jumping about. its such an open map that it lends itself to RJing, which is one of the funnest things to do in TF2

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Milo and POTUS posted:

You have to check payload race manually, it's not included in the match search parameters by default. I think it's among the misc. gamemodes like Mannpower and KOTH. If you check payload race you'll get hightower pretty quick, and if you uncheck everything else you'll probably get it immediately.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hightower is where you go when you just want to trolldier for 5 hours

Or build a mini sentry to ruin the days of trolldiers

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ArfJason posted:

to me the problem is that it does aoe on surface impact if you miss, which is Big Noob, it does a double hit, it does knockback, it does normal amount of afterburn damage and time, it lets you flare jump, it does extra damage on burning players and it destroys stickybombs. Individually none of these things really matter that much, but it does too many things for one single weapon.

Yeah it's exactly this. It might not be the pubstomper godgun, but it's not balanced relative to other Pyro secondaries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvBdNWJlZkA

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dabir posted:

Yeah it's exactly this. It might not be the pubstomper godgun, but it's not balanced relative to other Pyro secondaries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvBdNWJlZkA

every other weapon pyro gets has been nerfed into the ground so who cares. he's virtually useless in his supposed "offensive" role and is now relegated to basically uber phlog charges, utility pybro, and annoying with the scorch shot. he can barely scratch out a decent role thanks to the changes those cs:go devs pushed into the game in the last few years of development, they obviously didn't understand the class or tf2 balance in general.

the reason it's unbalanced relative to the other secondaries is because those other secondaries relied on comboing to be decently effective and degreaser was the weapon that made that possible. Some of the others (like reserve shooter) have been nerfed additionally on top of that.

this is one of those "sure, but the solution here isn't nerfing the scorch shot into the ground, it's that it needs to be slightly nerfed and the other alternatives need to be heavily buffed because right now the class is overall bad and those specific weapons are disproportionately bad compared to the skill they require to use". pyro isn't an offensive class with a situational loadout that lets him annoy or play utility, he's basically useless in his intended role and all he has is a couple meme loadouts that haven't been nerfed into complete useless yet.

none of that is going to happen though, so it doesn't matter whether pyro is underpowered and the scorch shot is underpowered, nothing significant is probably going to get balanced in tf2 ever again, the cs:go guys pretty much screwed up the game and took off, so the weapons balance theorycrafting is irrelevant

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 4, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I never said to nerf it into the ground, so cool your goddamn jets before i gently caress your rear end baboon red, bitch.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I want my puff and sting back.

For now, I will settle with flamethrower, detonator and maul as being the most use. Love being able to save buidings, love being able to flare jump and snipe everyone round corners and I just prefer the flamethrower.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They should absolutely unnerf the axtinguisher, they've already fixed airblast so it wouldn't be imba any more.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was the mangler like before? It's my current favorite soldier weapon because I don't have to worry about ammo

am I misremembering the name? it's the space themed soldier secondary that used to penetrate targets as it's primary mechanic but they totally removed it (at the time listing the intended behaviour as a bug or something?)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

CoolCab posted:

am I misremembering the name? it's the space themed soldier secondary that used to penetrate targets as it's primary mechanic but they totally removed it (at the time listing the intended behaviour as a bug or something?)

That's the Righteous Bison which yeah, it sucks rear end now. Cow Mangler's the laser rocket launcher that's only got buffs and is... okay, I guess. Infinite ammo doesn't really matter, but neutering yourself against engis actually really matters

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ArfJason posted:

lol remember when the liberty launcher was the noob crutch. different times

And this is back when people were complaining about the uncapped healing potential of the Black Box. Just disgusting stuff.

VideoGames posted:

For now, I will settle with flamethrower, detonator and maul as being the most use. Love being able to save buidings, love being able to flare jump and snipe everyone round corners and I just prefer the flamethrower.

I've never used the Detonator in any serious capacity, as I much prefer Shotgun or Flare Gun, so I have to ask: are the trade-offs worth it? I like a lot about the weapon on paper, but it's in practice that's more the question. The ability to rocket-jump does sound wonderful, but then I'm missing a shotgun... it's like I want to carry a Fire Axe instead.

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 4, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Respect to all the people repping the Backburner and putting it to good use, also making very good use of ammo pickups to get more than an airblast out of it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I use the cow mangler when defending gravel pit, the infinite ammo is super convenient when you want to hold a high point that doesn't have any ammo boxes and probably not any dispensers either.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Victory Position posted:

I've never used the Detonator in any serious capacity, as I much prefer Shotgun or Flare Gun, so I have to ask: are the trade-offs worth it? I like a lot about the weapon on paper, but it's in practice that's more the question. The ability to rocket-jump does sound wonderful, but then I'm missing a shotgun... it's like I want to carry a Fire Axe instead.

It depends on how you play pyro I think.

Pyro is my most played class and I like to be more of an annoyance support class. Setting people on fire from afar and continuing to faze them while sticking with my team to save sentries and put them out makes my style really effective.

If the other team has 2 or more pyros, I will switch to shotgun because they always seem to be using scorch shot and will try to take me on with that, yet forget about burn resistance. There is no bullet resistance.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jabor posted:

They should absolutely unnerf the axtinguisher, they've already fixed airblast so it wouldn't be imba any more.

this 100% holy poo poo i miss the axe

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Victory Position posted:

And this is back when people were complaining about the uncapped healing potential of the Black Box. Just disgusting stuff.

I think the detonator is really good cause better mobility = better play. That said, exploding it in time is kinda difficult when under pressure, the radius is not exactly clear since its all particles so you really gotta have a lot of experience with it to accurately measure it (experience i dont have), and the flare jumps with the det take an obscene amount of health, which unless you have the engagement completely in your control, it can lead you to embarrassing deaths.

another thing noone seems to touch on (becuse admittedly does not come up often) is that you use the right click to detonate, which means if you switch to your flamethrower to airblast something/someone real quick, you will just not be able to make use of the detonators full capabilities. this is another way the auto detonation of the scorch shot can be useful, since you can fire it and just switch to the flamethrower to deal with whatever is near you.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

VideoGames posted:

If the other team has 2 or more pyros, I will switch to shotgun because they always seem to be using scorch shot and will try to take me on with that, yet forget about burn resistance. There is no bullet resistance.

I have Pyros Killed on my Scorch Shot because it's funny, though it's less funny since they buffed its direct damage.

E: my favorite Pyro loadout is Degreaser, Scorch Shot, and Back Scratcher. My role is "deny medkits to the enemy team," both by using them up myself and by setting everyone on fire. It's not especially effective by itself but it makes every other attacking teammate that much stronger.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 4, 2021

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't play pyro much but I generally use the backburner because I'm here to frag, not to tag (someone with fire)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Countblanc posted:

I don't play pyro much but I generally use the backburner because I'm here to frag, not to tag (someone with fire)

This is the way.

"Support" pyros are pyros who haven't yet mastered the most essential pyro skill: knowing when you've overextended. Granted, this is a core skill for TF2 in general, but for pyros it's basically the entire game.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The backburner is fun because it lets you punish those who overextend and also if you overextend and they don't immediately notice it lets you sneak up and punish maybe the entire team for their lapse in attention.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

it's not even the best pyro secondary

that's still the panic attack, the shotgun that gets to do more damage and have a ridiculously higher switch speed in exchange for exactly zero downsides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Countblanc posted:

Out of all the weapons the stock and the phlog are the stand-outs imo. The stock is all-around best and the phlog has a viable gimmick for its damage boost. The tradeoff of “mostly” giving up airblast on the backburner (due to fuel cost) isn’t really worth the situational nature of the backburner’s damage boost.

Degreaser and the accompanying secondaries/melees have been nerfed and its combo gimmick is really no longer worth it. The damage reduction on the degreaser is notable and increases TTK on an already not-particularly-fast class.