Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Stare-Out posted:

Uncharted 3 was basically a bunch of really cool setpieces that they then connected with a plot. Not a bad plot, mind, but it never rises to the level of UC2. It was also done by the "b-team" while the "a-team" was working on the The Last of Us. Still, a hell of a game.

They pretty much only ever have one game in development at a time, apart from pre-production and ICE tools development sections. However, the expansion brought on by the post Uncharted 2 period led to a resource and cultural shift at ND which eventually led to an internal power struggle and would decide who was going to go on to co-president/president role once Evan Wells finally stepped out. Hennig was the popular force behind the creation and identity of Uncharted, but she was also fairly opposed to crunch after so many games, whereas Druckman was more of a James Cameron-esque resource boundary pusher. Anyways, UC3 did gangbusters as far as sales go, but from what I've heard the project management was brutal and very uneven and plagued by some very bad luck. After UC3 and TLOU shipped I think there was a moment where the studio had to decide whether to rally around Hennig or go in the direction of TLOU, and Hennig lost out. UC3 was not directed by a 'b team', if anything it was the primary dev team, it was directed by a huge group of people who had been a part of previous ND projects, and TLOU was the smaller, more concentrated and experimental project. After the Hennig breakup the studio returned to a pre-production cycle that kept only one game in active development at a time.

the 'a team'/'b team' poo poo is more of a reflection of people's feelings about the end products and has very little to do with how ND prioritized resources and projects. TLOU had very little marketing or fanfare until a few months after its release, it was a bit of a darkhorse in the industry and a lot of people had no idea how big it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cutter was a great character and it sucks he's not in more of the series than he is

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't mind saying it sucks that ps4 controllers are still $60

Especially when considering the battery life of previous gen controllers and Xbox controllers.

They should’ve made it optional to turn the light off completely.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People over estimate how much the light drains the battery. Even if you just go in and unplug the light the DS4 still has bad battery life.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s been measured and the real battery drain is actually the touchpad. But you can’t just disable that, so we live with it

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’ve had crazy decision anxiety about where to build my base in subnautica. I did it fairly close to my starting point and changed my mind and rebuilt near an island full of head crabs and lithium; a paradise and now I’m regretting it. It’s funny to me that as soon as you reach maximum thirst you die instantly.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I only ever played Uncharted 4 but drat was it fun. I felt like I was playing an action movie nearly the entire game. I found the end very touching too. But I may just be susceptible because I have kids that age myself. And boy the DLC was beautiful. I don’t much like video game based movies, but I’m actually kind of excited for the Uncharted movie. The story of Nathan Fillion is really pretty deep and good.

I would immediately drop everything and play a UC5 as well. It’s better than Tomb Raider by a country mile.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

haveblue posted:

They're not that bad, the hardest part is prying the case open. There are 4 external screws and 1 internal, plus a couple of tiny ribbon cables

Never tried any other Sony controller though

Trip report: not as bad as the PS3 controller, still not designed to be serviced. I broke the socket on the touchpad ribbon cable, but not so much that it doesn't work.

What does doesn't work (and did doesn't before I opened it) is the right stick, which registers diagonal inputs when pushed left or right. Before I open it back up and break out the multimeter / try to clean the pot / replace the pot, has anyone heard of a problem like this? I tried resetting the controller, and the wired 3rd party one doesn't have this issue, so its a problem with the controller.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Can somebody help me out with this Witness puzzle? (swamp area)

I feel like I've got the shape right, but no clue how to make it work. Any hints would be appreciated!!

Edit: got it immediately after posting lol what an idiot

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 4, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

Massive agree there

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I’ve had crazy decision anxiety about where to build my base in subnautica. I did it fairly close to my starting point and changed my mind and rebuilt near an island full of head crabs and lithium; a paradise and now I’m regretting it. It’s funny to me that as soon as you reach maximum thirst you die instantly.

Build multiple bases. I have one where you crashland and I have one where you have placed yours, but I keep my old base as a super home base and the other one is more of a satellite for farming and poo poo.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Sekiro: Beat Great Shinobi Owl. Was really struggling going toe to toe with him and in the end just kinda hung back and played defensively, exploiting the opening after his jumping attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEMd9Uc8JRg

Lol that I died 30 seconds into the fight tho. Was gonna give up then and there and try again but remembered that any time at all against a boss is practice that will bring me closer to victory. Still, a very AI-scripted fight. Nothing has topped Genichiro for me as yet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

Huge same.

I am playing with my DS4 left stick slightly broken, but I plan on getting a PS5 ASAP so I want to keep that £60 for that console.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great vid although arguably too much hesitation. Spamming Mortal Draw is my favourite tactic for one of the fights I haven’t finished yet lol

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Build multiple bases. I have one where you crashland and I have one where you have placed yours, but I keep my old base as a super home base and the other one is more of a satellite for farming and poo poo.

I also have my second base there. Shallow water with a steep drop makes it ideal for a base at the surface for max solar energy and a growbed with 4 bulbotrees from the island means you will never go hungry or thirsty because 1 of those replenishes you fully and has an extra seed to replant it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Everyone always builds their first base near the Kept Forrest, often near the red grass. I also built one near the spooky river entrance. That was fun, going into the base and seeing the ghost leviathan swimming nearby.

My biggest issue with Subnautica is the Cyclops was really difficult to deal with, due to its size and the fact they decided it should catch on fire constantly. The other is that maneuvering the Prawn Suit is excessively annoying. I wish I could just use the Seamoth for everything.

Neebs Gaming has a pretty fantastic play through of Subnautica I highly recomend to watch while playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA&list=PL1Uou2DWH7IGBJGlBqXwYnv7nX8LhleCO.
Obviously spoiler warning because they play through the whole game. Its funny because Below Zero has a similar back and forth, though they're more professional than two guys from the South.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Could also be they don’t want to end up on a list by playing it

Yeah imagine a cod player on a list. Won’t ever happen

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

fridge corn posted:

Sekiro: Beat Great Shinobi Owl. Was really struggling going toe to toe with him and in the end just kinda hung back and played defensively, exploiting the opening after his jumping attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEMd9Uc8JRg

Lol that I died 30 seconds into the fight tho. Was gonna give up then and there and try again but remembered that any time at all against a boss is practice that will bring me closer to victory. Still, a very AI-scripted fight. Nothing has topped Genichiro for me as yet.

Ahh amazing job! The coolest parts of the game start now. I’m kind of in love with how peaceful and dreamy fountainhead palace is, and it’s huge. And the enemies are hard enough to be not taken lightly but easier than those purple shinobi guys. It’s also an awesome place to farm. Just doing the run from the start to the bridge nets you an entire level. I hope you’re able to do all the eavesdropping things to get the bell for hirata 2.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Great vid although arguably too much hesitation. Spamming Mortal Draw is my favourite tactic for one of the fights I haven’t finished yet lol

Yeah when I died 30 seconds in with my only rez I decided I was just gonna use the rest of the fight to learn his attack patterns better but I ended up beating him instead lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

goblin week posted:

The only list us COD players are on is the good-taste gamers index.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ahh amazing job! The coolest parts of the game start now. I’m kind of in love with how peaceful and dreamy fountainhead palace is, and it’s huge. And the enemies are hard enough to be not taken lightly but easier than those purple shinobi guys. It’s also an awesome place to farm. Just doing the run from the start to the bridge nets you an entire level. I hope you’re able to do all the eavesdropping things to get the bell for hirata 2.

What do I need to get the hirata 2 bell? I've been doing all the dialogue and eavesdropping that's presented itself but I haven't gotten a second bell yet

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The desert scene in Uncharted 3 where Drake heroically picks up a rifle only to wander around the desert for days and nearly die of thirst and exhaustion is genuinely great. It's the first time in the series that it felt genuinely hopeless instead of momentarily inconvenient, like he knew he truly hosed this one up. I love that when he finally gets to the city he doesn't even have the rifle anymore, he just dropped it at some point. It kinda reminds me of the part in Dragon Age Inquisition where you wander around lost in a blizzard for a while, I appreciate when games take their time to let an emotional scene resonate.

Of course, it loses some impact when Drake goes from collapsing from dehydration to easily killing like thirty guys and parkouring all over the place in a matter of minutes, but that's to be expected.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Protagonists gain sustenance from murder.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Weedle posted:

is there anything in 13 sentinels a little kid shouldn’t see? i mean violent/scary stuff, i don’t care if there’s a butt somewhere or whatever

Broadly speaking, the 2065 era bits might get a bit scary for a small kid. For those who've played it; The Terminator-esque Androids might be a bit much for a small kid scary-wise?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

The desert scene in Uncharted 3 where Drake heroically picks up a rifle only to wander around the desert for days and nearly die of thirst and exhaustion is genuinely great. It's the first time in the series that it felt genuinely hopeless instead of momentarily inconvenient, like he knew he truly hosed this one up. I love that when he finally gets to the city he doesn't even have the rifle anymore, he just dropped it at some point. It kinda reminds me of the part in Dragon Age Inquisition where you wander around lost in a blizzard for a while, I appreciate when games take their time to let an emotional scene resonate.

Of course, it loses some impact when Drake goes from collapsing from dehydration to easily killing like thirty guys and parkouring all over the place in a matter of minutes, but that's to be expected.

Hey, he had a chance to lick undrinkable water off of his palm, he was good for another 3 hours off that alone at least.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

goblin week posted:

lmao

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

People over estimate how much the light drains the battery. Even if you just go in and unplug the light the DS4 still has bad battery life.

Well that’s a shame. It’s been my biggest gripe with the ps4 aside from when it turns on its rocket thrusters.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh. Duh doi, more bases. Probably explains why there’s never ending titanium.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Well that’s a shame. It’s been my biggest gripe with the ps4 aside from when it turns on its rocket thrusters.

Thermal paste/pad replacement takes care of that. Mine went from jet engine to very soft hum.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

On Terra Firma posted:

Thermal paste/pad replacement takes care of that. Mine went from jet engine to very soft hum.

I’ll look into it. Tbh it’s gotten so loud that it makes some games unfun without a headset or turning the tv up to inconsiderate levels since my high freq hearing loss means what I’m listening to can’t have any competition.

The most I’ve done is taken it apart and taken a can of compressed air to it. I replaced the HD last year because the stock one just stopped functioning.

But then I think “why go through this effort when I might get a ps5 tomorrow... hopefully.... maybe.... but probably not til the ps5 pro comes out”

I can’t wait to look down on this plebeian thread.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think I killed it. Are there any 3rd party wireless controllers of reasonable build quality, preferably, as a matter of principal, ones that aren't grossly overengineered on the inside? (I know, I know, ask a stupid question, but a man can dream).

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

VideoGames posted:

Last night I beat Fume Knight! :D

It was a long time and a large number of deaths but they are down. That is oen of the toughest bosses I have faced. I summoned a random human called VitoDjota who helped distract him while I got in there and kited around. :D

It was a proper frantic battle and I thought I was a gonna a number of time!

Now I am currently butting up against Aava.

Last night felt pretty humbling - the main areas I did fine, but the bosses totally stumped me. Aava, Fume Knight, Sir Alonne and I still have the Royal Sifalike and the Lurker that I need to go back to.

I genuinely started to feel that I did not belong in that part of the game and that I had somehow cheated my way there because I was doing so poorly.

I've been really enjoying the streams! I'd say you shouldn't get discouraged, this is my first time through the DLC inspired by you and its kinda why I like Dark Souls 2 less than 1 and 3. From puts you in the worst possible situations, fighting multiple enemies that have quick attacks. A litvof the enemies have quicker attacks than your club so you're getting hit nearly every encounter, plus the enemies are on a turntable so they turn faster than you can get behind them. It's incredibly frustrating to me personally.

I think you do a really good job of spacing and timing. You haven't had any issue with the base game, the DLC is just next level difficult. One of the problems you're having is that FROM is loving with you, specifically your timing, and its a really cool trick they pull. The Fume knight has a bunch of delays that made you get hit, especially the ultra slow sword sweep. They're messing with experienced players timing and spacing which is exactly what you've become good at. The half second delay of that sweep meant you were getting smacked a lot.

Maybe try getting the equip load down or increase ADP to get more I frames.

Anyway, you're doing great, don't get discouraged. You're almost there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a stream right now if you’re not watching already

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He tried Aava for an hour, then leveled up ADP, and beat him on his next try lol. Good stuff

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Incredible scenes in the stream today

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Just finished DS2. I took the throne. I didn't beat the blue smelter, the trio in the sunken king DLC and I never found the frozen outskirts or whatever. I had more fun this time around but I still don't like more of the game than I enjoy. There are really high points but traveling the levels feels more like a chore than an enjoyable experience.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Regy Rusty posted:

He tried Aava for an hour, then leveled up ADP, and beat him on his next try lol. Good stuff

ADP rules and I had a similar experience playing SotFS, but much earlier in the game, to the point that I felt like I genuinely couldn't do it because I had died more to like The Pursuer and some other boss more than I had died to any of the Bloodborne or DS3 bosses.. but then I leveled up ADP a few times and suddenly I felt like I could just sort of lazily roll through every attack.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the true genius of DS2 being appreciated at last

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Happy negative one thousandth birthday, Aloy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Come join the stream u buggers https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa