Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm going to make an NFT for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, that's pretty direct

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

what about an NFT that points to a set that contains all NFTs?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

PhazonLink posted:

what about an NFT that points to a set that contains all NFTs?

Georg Cantor just got disgusted in his grave

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

Oh, that's pretty direct

Quick, edit it out! Boy, that's going to show that guy who wanted to make an NFT of your post!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

why did your post directly above his eat a probe lol wtf

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

EorayMel posted:

why did your post directly above his eat a probe lol wtf

I did joke probes in the fast food forum that I mostly
forget exists and a cspam mod got probed too. They were upset lol. It was a fair probe but lol at the only post they could do it with.

HugeGrossBurrito fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 4, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hey now there are rules about this if you want to be in the post chain you have to quote the entire previous post chain! how else are we going to judge its validity!!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fur20 posted:

hey now there are rules about this if you want to be in the post chain you have to quote the entire previous post chain! how else are we going to judge its validity!!

How many empty quotes are needed to achieve consensus on the post chain?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gazpacho posted:

GBS > Bitcoin: If you squint, it looks like an absurd art project.

I knew it was in here somewhere because I saw the thread’s new title. Great job!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Paladinus posted:

NFTs is like adopting a zoo animal, only it's a pokemon card that you hope to sell later for more.

This is perfect! Easy to understand for the young, weeds out the terminally online from my dad who is trying very hard to understand the dissonance of “literally fictional coins” and “value.”

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
A buddy of mine who is big into crypto (but mostly has no idea what the hell he's doing) is trying to flip NFT's for profits. He's a generally lovely trader but I hope it works out because taking money from idiots believing in scammy NFT's is not a bad idea.

As far as genuine nft focuses go, Ethernity Chain was trying to basically turn nft into authenticated trading cards on the ether network. Which is fine except for the ether part.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

A buddy of mine who is big into crypto (but mostly has no idea what the hell he's doing) is trying to flip NFT's for profits. He's a generally lovely trader but I hope it works out because taking money from idiots believing in scammy NFT's is not a bad idea.

I have unfortunate news for your buddy. Number go ... not up

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo
the person i know who tried to rush into NFTs also wants to trade on the "4x" market because they heard "It's better than the stock market"

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
yeah y'know 4X, like that video game genre, how does that go again

explain, exploit, expose, exit

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

divabot posted:

Yeah no. For many, Ethernity was bought at 25c-$4. It's at $40+ and will be used to acquire tokens later. cointelegraph is not a good a source of information. NFT markets are all over because the same thing happens in any part of illiquid markets.

Acting like that's unique to NFT's is just inaccurate. NFT's are hyped to hell but they don't exist purely in a silo. There's multiple marketplaces for most NFT's even if buying and selling them is stupid to me as well.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 4, 2021

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

divabot posted:

nocoiner fudster ! do not believe his lie !

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

divabot posted:

"Overly Attached Girlfriend" just sold a NFT for 200 space bucks. (over 400k real bucks). The person who bought it has probably dumped millions into their collection.

https://foundation.app/laina/overly-attached-girlfriend-17046

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Mad Dragon posted:

"Overly Attached Girlfriend" just sold a NFT for 200 space bucks. (over 400k real bucks). The person who bought it has probably dumped millions into their collection.

https://foundation.app/laina/overly-attached-girlfriend-17046

Wait, so not only does buying an NFT not give you any sort of actual rights to the supposed thing that you're buying, but the image is actually displayed publically for anyone who wants to look at it? So you can't even have the hypothetical case of an artist promising to only give their artwork to the person who buys the NFT, it is inherently available to anyone who wants to look at it (at least on this platform.) They paid $200000 to show this gif of some animated gradients on their webpage.
https://foundation.app/newrafael/fold-into-16505

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
this is seriously the dumbest poo poo lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
NFT's are just like Columbus pulling up and going "By Royal Decree this poo poo mine now" while a bunch of natives go about their day*.

* Fun fact, this was called The Requierimiento and was actually a codified bit of practice when taking "ownership" of lands. They would get some clerk to unfurl a parchment, read a legalese statement to the land/people, and offer them a period of objection.

No one was worried that the natives couldn't speak Spanish because it's their loving fault they're ignorant savages.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

this is seriously the dumbest poo poo lol

It really is, and actually shows you how little people value any of this poo poo. What is a million space bucks for this?And yes NFT's are 99% blatant copyright infringement and will get shut the gently caress down over it eventually.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
NFTs are stupid as hell but they don't really seem any more stupid than your usual art market

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

FilthyImp posted:

NFT's are just like Columbus pulling up and going "By Royal Decree this poo poo mine now" while a bunch of natives go about their day*.

* Fun fact, this was called The Requierimiento and was actually a codified bit of practice when taking "ownership" of lands. They would get some clerk to unfurl a parchment, read a legalese statement to the land/people, and offer them a period of objection.

No one was worried that the natives couldn't speak Spanish because it's their loving fault they're ignorant savages.

lol, i'm pretty sure Columbus had these things called 'guns' or at the very least 'swords', which can come in quite handy when stealing someone else's land; see Bernal Diaz del Costillo's "Conquest of New Spain" for another example of this.

NFT's are The Emperors New Clothes

buttcoin

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 4, 2021

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

xtal posted:

NFTs are stupid as hell but they don't really seem any more stupid than your usual art market
When you buy art in a market, you get to take the piece home. This is like buying a painting and keeping it at the market, but you have a key that lets you visit your painting whenever you want. There's nothing stopping the the owner of the market from changing the locks, though. The market is also completely made of glass, so anyone walking by can view all the artwork for free. Am I understanding this correctly?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

And anyone else can make their own key at any time.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mad Dragon posted:

When you buy art in a market, you get to take the piece home. This is like buying a painting and keeping it at the market, but you have a key that lets you visit your painting whenever you want. There's nothing stopping the the owner of the market from changing the locks, though. The market is also completely made of glass, so anyone walking by can view all the artwork for free. Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, that's called an art museum. The other thing is that you can copy and reproduce physical art easily as well. I'm gonna do it right now!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Starry_Night_Over_the_Rhone.jpg/1280px-Starry_Night_Over_the_Rhone.jpg

The Wikipedia page for Starry Night Over the Rhône is not far from what you're describing, but I'm sure people would pay a lot of money to own it, even if it just sits in a museum on display.

Edit: This is less an endorsement of NFT and more a criticism of art as a market.

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 4, 2021

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
and making a new key burns up an area of rainforest the size of denmark

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, ALL cryptocurrency and nft's become completely worthless if you detonate an EMP or simply start physically unplugging critical infrastructure.

e:we'd be soooo much closer to curing cancer if these stupid fucks used their vast computing resources for protein folding.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 4, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ad by Khad posted:

yeah y'know 4X, like that video game genre, how does that go again

explain, exploit, expose, exit

:vince:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

Yes, that's called an art museum. The other thing is that you can copy and reproduce physical art easily as well. I'm gonna do it right now!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Starry_Night_Over_the_Rhone.jpg/1280px-Starry_Night_Over_the_Rhone.jpg

The Wikipedia page for Starry Night Over the Rhône is not far from what you're describing, but I'm sure people would pay a lot of money to own it, even if it just sits in a museum on display.

Edit: This is less an endorsement of NFT and more a criticism of art as a market.

So you're argument now is that a picture of a physical object is the same as the physical object itself?

I've got a bridge to sell you

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 4, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Valasquez posted:

So you're argument now is that a picture of a physical object is the same as the physical object itself?

Given you can print it out, trace it over or anything, indirectly yes. My point is that you can go to an art museum and copy whatever you see even though it's owned by someone else. It's a nature of art whether physical or digital.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

xtal posted:

wait a minute, are you seriously suggesting a picture of a Van Gogh is the same thing as an actual loving Van Gogh?

e:holy poo poo you are not only dumb, but extremely disrespectful to one of the greatest artists in the entire history of the world.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 4, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You're talking poo poo but we both know (begrudgingly) that if van Gogh were alive today he'd have NFTs. The man was insane, for one.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

xtal posted:

Given you can print it out, trace it over or anything, indirectly yes. My point is that you can go to an art museum and copy whatever you see even though it's owned by someone else. It's a nature of art whether physical or digital.

Except you can only see things in art museums that the owner has decided to share. If you go to an art show and buy a painting, you can do whatever you want with it: consign it to the Louvre (if they'll have it), hang it up over your fireplace for your family to enjoy it, shut it up in a box in Switzerland, or just feed it into a shredder if you want to. There are plenty of works of art that have never been photographed, uploaded to Wikipedia, or shown in a museum. That's problematic in a lot of ways, but it is clearly distinct from NFTs, where the only thing you get if you purchase one is the right to display publically. It's the difference between owning a work of art and licensing the rights to put on a billboard in front of your house.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

xtal posted:

You're talking poo poo but we both know (begrudgingly) that if van Gogh were alive today he'd have NFTs. The man was insane, for one.

lol, are you seriously minimizing Van Gogh's mental illness? the part of him that both inspired and tormented him? you can stop talking now, you ignorant philistine.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, are you seriously minimizing Van Gogh's mental illness? the part of him that both inspired and tormented him? you can stop talking now, you ignorant philistine.

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo
been awhile since we had an art history major fist fight

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Rectal Death Deft posted:

been awhile since we had an art history major fist fight

lol, i thought it would be nice to mix things up a bit.

bitcoin is a decentralized, automated Ponzi scheme.

NFT's are The Emperors New Clothes.

e:lol, ask me about my wealthy lifestyle; what IS it like to OWN a 2013 Toyota Sienna and LIVE in a 1000 square foot bungalow? the answers may shock you!

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
In a recent random podcast I was listening to, someone made the joke that they were leaving "a bunch of NFTs on the table with this unused idea"

It made me laugh