Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Wound up getting that new 3DS!

Initial impressions: has that somewhat more chunky, almost futuristic-80s look not unlike the original 3DS non-XL. It's not *that* much more portable than the XL, so we'll see if I actually wind up bring it more places. The smaller screen is a mixed blessing - it's great not having everything be so noticeably jaggy, but on the other hand it's a bit less immersive than the XL. I've got a couple of doubles I've been putting off selling, may try a few side by side tests and see which one I prefer. It seems like the 3D tracking might be a bit less good than the XL's though? When I hold it with one hand and it drops a little it has to recalibrate, doesn't seem to happen with my XL.

Annoyingly, it doesn't look like anyone's selling repro Nintendo cover plates on AliExpress, and the eBay sellers all want AU$50 for the ones that aren't just patterns. Mine came with the stars cover on it which I'm indifferent to, but it's pretty beat up. There's one seller with some 3rd party ones that look OK I think I'll take a punt on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I was surprised that there weren't any repro/bootleg plates myself when I checked a few weeks ago.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My favorite scene in Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest will always be

Main Char "I am going to pretend to be evil for five minutes to trick the evil king, do not be alarmed!"

Supporting char "Got it"

~plan happens~

Supporting char "Oh my god main character, why are you evil now???"

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Does anyone know if either the textured part in the middle, or the coloured lip around the top outer cover of the new 2DS XL comes off? They definitely look like separate pieces but not sure how viable it is to separate them.

If my 3DS reshell is a success, thinking of swapping the accent colours across the two 2DS XL's I have to make a black/orange and a white/green (Halloween and... Crest toothpaste?) one. I think the latter might look kinda cursed but ya know, yolo.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, I was surprised that there weren't any repro/bootleg plates myself when I checked a few weeks ago.

There's only one seller I can find and it turns out all they have left is some plain white ones, boo.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Does anyone know if either the textured part in the middle, or the coloured lip around the top outer cover of the new 2DS XL comes off? They definitely look like separate pieces but not sure how viable it is to separate them.

If my 3DS reshell is a success, thinking of swapping the accent colours across the two 2DS XL's I have to make a black/orange and a white/green (Halloween and... Crest toothpaste?) one. I think the latter might look kinda cursed but ya know, yolo.

There's only one seller I can find and it turns out all they have left is some plain white ones, boo.

Don't know what those exact parts are, but if it looks separate it probably is. They're really painful to separate while doing less than a reshell, the cables are fidgety and fragile.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Has anyone got horror stories about Ali Express replacement batteries? Thinking of buying a few for the n3DS XL and selling them as "refurbs", since I'm already doing some cosmetic work on them.

I wound up getting AUD250 for that n3DS XL Galaxy reshell so I went out and bought the Ali Express seller's remaining two shells - there's likely a very limited pool of bidders who'd actually pay that much of a premium for one, but it's also an extremely low-effort value add on my part so might as well ride the wave. Have already snagged another dark blue n3DS XL for $80 locally :toot:

endlessmonotony posted:

Don't know what those exact parts are, but if it looks separate it probably is. They're really painful to separate while doing less than a reshell, the cables are fidgety and fragile.

I definitely respect ZIF cables - can't remember why I was in there, but I had one break on my HP netbook in uni and it was literally impossible to replace, had to scrap the drat thing.

Thought to try iFixIt rather than Youtube and found a more detailed description, looks like it is and I thiiink that coloured bit of trim around the top lid is screwed in underneath and can be removed!

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/New+Nintendo+2DS+XL+Top+Screen++Replacement/117948

The 2DS swap is probably easier than the 3DS (only has 1 ribbon cable threaded through the hinge vs 3, might even be able to leave it together) but OTOH I'm only risking the one system with the 3DS, so I reckon I'll start with that one. I've got some time off work over the next few weeks so I'm gonna roll up my sleeves and have a go, will post pics/results in the thread.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 2, 2021

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Also wondering about where to get a replacement battery for my New 3DS XL, if anyone has a rec. The current battery doesn't hold a charge very well, and Nintendo's store is sold out. Amazon has some listed, but I'm skeptical given the prevalence of knock-offs (and would like to avoid unwanted explosions).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Honestly if you can’t get batteries straight from Nintendo anymore it’s probably best to just accept that you need to play it plugged in from now on.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They were in stock on the official Nintendo store not too long ago so I'm not sure if there are too many community vetted alternatives yet. The Nintendo product page isn't gone yet so maybe restocks are coming?

E: yeah the page says “temporarily sold out” so keep an eye on it and you may get lucky. They sold DS lite batteries up until 2017 so it’d be strange for them to stop making 3DS batteries so early

hatty fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 2, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I usually grab Cameron Sino replacement batteries for anything that can't do OEM, and those are only worth anything when you know whoever you're buying from is buying directly from the manufacturer, so that generally means RC shops and battery repair shops.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gutcruncher posted:

Honestly if you can’t get batteries straight from Nintendo anymore it’s probably best to just accept that you need to play it plugged in from now on.

There’s gotta be at least one decent alternative.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

hatty posted:

They were in stock on the official Nintendo store not too long ago so I'm not sure if there are too many community vetted alternatives yet. The Nintendo product page isn't gone yet so maybe restocks are coming?

E: yeah the page says “temporarily sold out” so keep an eye on it and you may get lucky. They sold DS lite batteries up until 2017 so it’d be strange for them to stop making 3DS batteries so early

Hmmm, they don't advertise them at all on the Nintendo Australia site, but do have a "Other Nintendo Systems" option on their repair enquiry site, so I've sent them an email to see if they have them and what they charge.

I found a brand called Tomee sold by a Gamesmen.com.au but searching around the reviews were decidedly mixed (enough bad ones to put me off them).

Think I might order a 2 pack of Ali Express batteries (there are some that at least look like convincing knockoffs of the Nintendo one) and see how they go. If I can get my hands on a new Nintendo one I could do a side by side test and report results.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Maybe buy a busted 3ds on ebay and salvage the battery?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

In the States at least, you can get them from Newegg and iFixit. Not sure if they're official oem but both vendors have a solid reputation and are good on returns.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doesn’t the Wii U gamepad use the same battery? Not that this helps but I do need to replace both.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doesn’t the Wii U gamepad use the same battery? Not that this helps but I do need to replace both.

It doesn’t use the same one as the NEW XLs but I’m not sure about the smaller ones

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
US , but I bought this one and it's been fine. Fit was a little tight and I haven't had it long enough to say how long it'll stay reliable but so far I haven't had any trouble.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B017DVY9OG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_TPAP44K3BT3SR9JJCSDV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wii U battery model is ARR-002 and has a proprietary (?) connector, the 3DS XL is SPR-003 and doesn't have a cable connection, and 3DS (non xl) is CTR-003.

I believe you could simply search for the battery model numbers without specifying which device it's for and it should be fine.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

It's the Wii U Pro controller (not the gamepad) that shares the battery with the 3DS XL.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It's the Wii U Pro controller (not the gamepad) that shares the battery with the 3DS XL.

That’s right. No wonder it got the insane battery life it did.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Not quite, the Pro Controllers (both Wii U and Switch) use the CTR-003 which is the smaller battery from the smaller 3DS models

As mentioned above the 3DS XL uses SPR-003. AFAIK Nintendo doesn't use SPR-003 for anything anymore so get OEM replacements while you still can.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know where to get bottom faceplates for a New XL? The paint is starting to crack on mine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What's the best 3DS game?

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Probably Kid Icarus.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Picross E1-8

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Honestly? A Link Between Worlds.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I've been enjoying Mario 3D Land quite a bit.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anyone know where to get bottom faceplates for a New XL? The paint is starting to crack on mine.

I got 1 off eBay not too long ago. Couldn't recommend a seller though as I don't remember.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

either pocket card jockey or etrian odyssey iv

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's Kid Icarus

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Not Kid Icarus. The controls are awful. It's great for some people, but will turn off most.
Probably Link Between Worlds.
Pocket Card Jockey is great, too.
The exclusive Fire Emblems will get votes.
As will Mario and Animal Crossing.
I'll also add Kirby Robobot and Fantasy Life to the party.

My vote is Zelda, though. Majora's Mask. Not an exclusive, but I think it's the best game on the system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

Not Kid Icarus. The controls are awful. It's great for some people, but will turn off most.
Probably Link Between Worlds.
Pocket Card Jockey is great, too.
The exclusive Fire Emblems will get votes.
As will Mario and Animal Crossing.
I'll also add Kirby Robobot and Fantasy Life to the party.

My vote is Zelda, though. Majora's Mask. Not an exclusive, but I think it's the best game on the system.

I really wanted to like Kid Icarus, but the controls were awful for me as well and I sorely wish it'd get a Switch release with proper dual-stick controls.

I could see Majora's Mask being the best overall on-average; There's other games that do various things better (and there's changes that straight suck in Majora's Mask 3D like the revamped boss fights), but overall it's a gorgeous game that runs well on the console and really shows off the 3D effect :hmmyes:.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I've been enjoying Mario 3D Land quite a bit.

It’s these and Picross 3D Round 2

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d say KI is the best in spite of the painful control scheme. That game needs a remaster so bad. It would be so good on Switch with dual stick aiming and gyro.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mine might be Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah, if Kid Icarus' controls are a problem, it's this.

EDIT: For the record, my personal favorite is Fire Emblem Conquest, but that one's hard to recommend without a bunch of caveats.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 4, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LBW and Rhythm Heaven are up there but I gave it to KI since they’re basically remakes/compilations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even though I would never play it again, probably MH4U given the sheer amount of time spent in it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A majority of my 3DS time was playing some release of Etrian Odyssey so maybe one of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even though I would never play it again, probably MH4U given the sheer amount of time spent in it.

Same. LBW is really drat good too.

I have Kid Icarus but only played the first couple of missions, I don't remember being turned off by the control scheme so I'll have to revisit it someday (and the 80% of my 3DS library that I never finished)