Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

oxsnard posted:

btw if u haven't read "the defecit myth" you should

Went to grab this from my library's ebook collection and I'm hold position 41 and there's 16 copies.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I can hook u up, PM me

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

Went to grab this from my library's ebook collection and I'm hold position 41 and there's 16 copies.

Lol

that's awesome though. glad that there are so many future disciples of mmt

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

Lol

lol at limited copies of ebooks

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

oxsnard posted:

I can hook u up, PM me

Someone else already PMed me.

Thanks yall!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

My wife's boomer parents liquidated all of their assets including the family farm land that had been in the family for over 135 years so they could move to Florida and have yearly Disney memberships.

hahahaha

old people buy “houses” that end at their death too

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

My wife's boomer parents liquidated all of their assets including the family farm land that had been in the family for over 135 years so they could move to Florida and have yearly Disney memberships.

lmao the siren song of Florida only boomers can hear. truly a cursed place. they're all in a race between medically extended unlife being extinguished or being washed away by sea rise + the next big one

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Number is risen

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

BiL just bought a new McMansion in Tampa so it is going to sink into the ocean while poisoning him and his family due to the chemical spill, glorious.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/nbcconnecticut/status/1378779752878723074?s=21

quote:

Body camera video showed the man refusing to leave Disney Springs in Orlando, arguing about how much he had spent and claiming to be a Disney stockholder

lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:thunk:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“I spent 15,000”

lamo have less kids

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like how he thinks wasting $15K makes him a big fish in the world of disney psychos :allears:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

imagine a disney whale jfc

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

gay_crimes posted:

lmao the siren song of Florida only boomers can hear. truly a cursed place. they're all in a race between medically extended unlife being extinguished or being washed away by sea rise + the next big one

orlando will never be touched by sea rise we're all stuck with it. central florida COULD become a hellish desert tho

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

BigPaddy posted:

BiL just bought a new McMansion in Tampa so it is going to sink into the ocean while poisoning him and his family due to the chemical spill, glorious.

oh yeah tampa will be hosed from sea level rise no doubt

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1378742132442333190?s=20

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
isn't the reason why all these slack jawed yokals are going on trips is because everything is heavily discounted? and he still blew 15k on a disney getaway he then hosed up royally? idgi.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

“I spent 15,000”

lamo have less kids

that was just on himself

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

isn't the reason why all these slack jawed yokals are going on trips is because everything is heavily discounted? and he still blew 15k on a disney getaway he then hosed up royally? idgi.

the people who absolutely have to go on trips right loving now do it because they aren't alive unless someone else is entertaining, feeding or cleaning up after them

and he threw a tantrum over a painless, one-second temperature check because he couldn't handle the idea of a lowly amusement park employee having the power to take that away from him

he spent 15 grand at disney world so he could be in control and do whatever he wanted

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

the people who absolutely have to go on trips right loving now do it because they aren't alive unless someone else is entertaining, feeding or cleaning up after them

and he threw a tantrum over a painless, one-second temperature check because he couldn't handle the idea of a lowly amusement park employee having the power to take that away from him

he spent 15 grand at disney world so he could be in control and do whatever he wanted

I wonder if he felt more violated being kicked out the park or being placed in cuffs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

There is nobody I want to die more than this man.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Apr 4, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I would love to buy a house from Apple or Google or Amazon, why yes I am a literal thumb

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1378798151218434053?s=19

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
matty is a dumb poo poo but lmao there's a nugget of truth in there that medium to small landlords are absolute psychos who would rather watch someone die than "get away" with a freebie even if it's of no benefit to their bottom line

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

oxsnard posted:

matty is a dumb poo poo but lmao there's a nugget of truth in there that medium to small landlords are absolute psychos who would rather watch someone die than "get away" with a freebie even if it's of no benefit to their bottom line

Yeah what imagine if big landlords had as much incentive as Verizon or Comcast to solve your problems.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Nah there is no money in it since there are already “tech” companies with an “app” who are doing renting as a service to disrupt the industry for that sweet sweet IPO money.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yes those are all good reasons to nationalize the housing stock

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
How about 7 giant countries to form out of the US, each maintaining vast quantities of public housing with indefinite at-cost leases?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oxsnard posted:

huh wonder is there is some way to have a giant origination handle housing for an entire country probably not its either slumlords or faceless corporations controlled by billionaires (also slumlords)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

psycho economists really do want working people to rent as much as possible, as it means they’re more mobile in the job market and will move to high demand areas for work which will help capital and depress wages

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Who the fuckity gently caress talks about doing home repair and maintenance in this kind of language? "every time I need to actually do the job of property manager"

If Yglesias isn't a landlord, he so desperately wants to be one. He is just oooooooozing with that aspiration.

The needful loving needs doing against this scumbag.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

psycho economists really do want working people to rent as much as possible, as it means they’re more mobile in the job market and will move to high demand areas for work which will help capital and depress wages

Broke: hunting and gathering
Woke: agarian
Bespoke: nomadic renting

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

huh wonder is there is some way to have a giant origination handle housing for an entire country probably not its either slumlords or faceless corporations controlled by billionaires (also slumlords)

yeah I think we're all in agreement here lol

small time landlords are just particularly gross is all (not the old lady subletting her upstairs, but the up and coming master of industry type)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My current landlord for the past 5 years has claimed a homestead exemption for this property and has made an estimated $70k in profit based on my rent minus property taxes, insurance, one replaced appliance and a few handyman calls made and probably 2 hours total spent responding to emails and making calls. She was gifted this property by her parents when she went to college and has been renting it out for 16 years. This property has doubled in value since I moved in.

TLDR: :guillotine:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gay_crimes posted:

My current landlord for the past 5 years has claimed a homestead exemption for this property and has made an estimated $70k in profit based on my rent minus property taxes, insurance, one replaced appliance and a few handyman calls made and probably 2 hours total spent responding to emails and making calls. She was gifted this property by her parents when she went to college and has been renting it out for 16 years. This property has doubled in value since I moved in.

yeah I feel like a lot of people generally agree with Mao re: the landlord class but can't bring themselves to actually say as much because of how deep western propaganda and racism has settled in their malleable brains

One of the most notable things about parasitic middlemen is that they are not necessary to anything at all

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

worst case (all landlords dead, state in total control) scenario, you are paying rent to an entity that is spending it on local infrastructure. Best case scenario now, you are giving 25%+ of your total take home pay to someone who will shift it to a tax haven and use it to further assault you

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i assume that when matty y visualizes this future, he is both part of 20% living outside of the corporate owned hellscape, but also heavily invested in those 7 companies so he can extract rents w/o the effort.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gay_crimes posted:

I assume she doesn't live there herself? Then presumably it's not a homestead, can you report her to the state or anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Delta-Wye posted:

i assume that when matty y visualizes this future, he is both part of 20% living outside of the corporate owned hellscape, but also heavily invested in those 7 companies so he can extract rents w/o the effort.

Nah he's just aware that home maintenance is a skillset he doesn't have (understandable) but assumes that an oligopoly of housing will use the market making power that gives them to ensure the properties are maintained to a livable standard according to the renters wishes rather than absolutely rinsing their captive market of renters of all their money because that's where they make their money.