Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Alaois posted:

is there a single adaptation of a Stephen King book that was not improved 500x by not being a faithful adaptation

No, and especially not in the case of The Shining. They removed the "I'm totally not a Stephen King Self Insert feeling bad about mistakes as an alcoholic and now I get a grand redemption" angle, a bunch of the frontloaded "danny wanders around and gets spooked by mundane things" sections, the werewolf that chases a little boy around yelling gay panic stuff, and they were left with a tight and atmospheric supernatural thriller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The novel has a lot of weird bad sex poo poo. There’s a part where one of the characters goes to the library as an adult and sees that it hasn’t changed and gets scared for a moment that he’s gone back in time, but then he sighs in relief when a high-school student walks up to him and asks him if he’s ok, because he can see her nipples through her shirt and realizes that he must be in the present day. He also has a moment of nostalgia in the same chapter remembering how he used to read under a big staircase and look up women’s skirts as they went up the stairs.

There’s also a famous part where the bullies give each other blowjobs and one of the characters sees it and realizes in that moment how scary and evil they truly are.

The child orgy is mostly remarkable for how little it differs from how insane the rest of the book is.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I never read It but I do remember in Cujo all the loving detail King put in for the guy breaking into their home and masturbating on their bed and just how hard he was and everything.

King's loving weird.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Was Thinner the one where the guy's internal monologue won't stop thinking about his daughter's bod?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I never got so far into It to reach the child sex orgy.

And many many hundred pages I thought "gently caress it. I saw the movies. I have other stuff to finish"

I respect most of Kings writings especially how he spends such a ridiculously amount of effort building up every single character. But a lot of it feels very old now. It feels like a waste of time to put characters into cliff hangers when its already established that they are 100% going to survive everything.

It reminds me of when reading Star Wars EU stuff and an author threw in Han Solo or Princess Leia. All of a sudden I know things are going to end up fine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
God its funny how weird-horny King was in pretty much every book. Dude loved his coke.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

a cartoon duck posted:

doesn't the novel also have a child sex orgy that all adaptations leave out for obvious reasons

Yes.

The supposed justification for it is that they needed to "become adults" in order to get over their childhood fears in order to defeat Pennywise which is dumb and makes no sense because Pennywise is still around when they're adults and they're still scared of him.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Fil5000 posted:

God its funny how weird-horny King was in pretty much every book. Dude loved his coke.
I read this as "dude loves his choke" and just nodded.

In the Dark Tower series, when Roland loses his index and middle fingers on his right hand his literal first thought is "at least I jerk off with the left".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DeafNote posted:

The Shining gets a lot of points from me for the atmosphere of it all. But I understand it loses a lot as an adaptation.
(hedge animals are dumb tho!)

i dont mind the hedge animals and stuff, i dont mind it not being a 1 to 1 adaption either. 1 to 1 adaptations have their own amounds of flaws. my issue is the book is more of sad tragedy with horror stuff in it. a very flawed but good man who breaks and is hallowed out(literally) by poo poo beyond his control. instead its a big atmosphere movie(which it does amazingly well that descends into "he was a lovely rear end in a top hat who was made worse and now he chases the kid". i think it annoys me is that the shinning is one of the few books i think King sticks the landing on and thats mostly good all the way through without weird horny coke poo poo. i think the movie is a good movie. i just get tired of seeing people put it over the book or never read the book then.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The novel has a lot of weird bad sex poo poo. There’s a part where one of the characters goes to the library as an adult and sees that it hasn’t changed and gets scared for a moment that he’s gone back in time, but then he sighs in relief when a high-school student walks up to him and asks him if he’s ok, because he can see her nipples through her shirt and realizes that he must be in the present day. He also has a moment of nostalgia in the same chapter remembering how he used to read under a big staircase and look up women’s skirts as they went up the stairs.

There’s also a famous part where the bullies give each other blowjobs and one of the characters sees it and realizes in that moment how scary and evil they truly are.

The child orgy is mostly remarkable for how little it differs from how insane the rest of the book is.

Yeah, IT is loving weird and another problem with it is its just really loving long. like i prefer the first new movie to the book in someways because it captures the spirit of what the books going for really really well with out the weird hosed up poo poo. thats the case of a good adaptations. it doesn't have to be 1 to 1. it just has to capture the spirit of the thing and show it even if its different or such. too bad about part 2. but that part of the book always sucked, so bulling the clown to death kinda works.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, IT is loving weird and another problem with it is its just really loving long. like i prefer the first new movie to the book in someways because it captures the spirit of what the books going for really really well with out the weird hosed up poo poo. thats the case of a good adaptations. it doesn't have to be 1 to 1. it just has to capture the spirit of the thing and show it even if its different or such. too bad about part 2. but that part of the book always sucked, so bulling the clown to death kinda works.

Yeah, I know King was writing what he knew but I don't need... that much on Derry. I mean, you are small town in Maine-d to death.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I know King was writing what he knew but I don't need... that much on Derry. I mean, you are small town in Maine-d to death.

i dont mind the slow burn set ups and the 10 pages of "monster has been doing this for decades" explanation and history of town poo poo, but thats just me. my issue is where it just kinda treds water for pages with bad character drama or one off characters or badly written sex/ etc.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont mind the slow burn set ups and the 10 pages of "monster has been doing this for decades" explanation and history of town poo poo, but thats just me. my issue is where it just kinda treds water for pages with bad character drama or one off characters or badly written sex/ etc.

Agreed. I could read forever about various monster versions of Pennywise eating people but not so much the ledgers, ups and downs of every minor characters farm and family history.

I like the part early in the book where it makes it look like Beverlys husband is a main character and then things just go completely south.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

:stare: Holy cow, I had no idea Jacob Whol was...THAT crazy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still dread to imagine what Ernest Cline's original script of Fanboys looked like before Jay Baruchel and Seth Rogan rewrote it to be usable.

According to Baruchel, it was basically 100 pages of IG-88 jokes. Just the shittiest, shallowest, reference-o-rama-est poo poo possible. AKA: the harbinger of Cline’s actual writing career. Also it was Adam Goldberg who reworked it into an indie retelling of A New Hope, not Seth Rogan.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is Shoe still fash or what? I'm always for the spirit of redemption and all that and leftists keep sending her takes into my timeline.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Katt posted:

Is Shoe still fash or what? I'm always for the spirit of redemption and all that and leftists keep sending her takes into my timeline.

She’s just chasing dollars. If she were capable of remorse, she’d take down her channel and find another way to make a living after all the poo poo she’s pumped out.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lot of money to be made pumping out lefty content for sure bro, lmafo.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Alaois posted:

is there a single adaptation of a Stephen King book that was not improved 500x by not being a faithful adaptation

His books are also half the time depressingly and sometimes needlessly bleak IMO.
And good lord don't let him sit in a directors chair.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

you're misremembering, they lit each others farts on fire, as was the style at the time

e: wait nope the dick-fondling bit happens after. too much book in that book

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Alaois posted:

The Stand comes closest? I get the impression they made a whole new miniseries and still made "the Stand but subtly worse in every single way" like the last time someone did that.

But this is as much because The Stand is too weirdly structured to be a movie and leans too hard on being unflinching about the grim realities of a doom plague to make good TV so it's just not especially filmable.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Katt posted:

She went hard for Bernie and is now fairly good. She still says some dumb stuff but overall she's pretty alright.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CmdrKing posted:

The Stand comes closest? I get the impression they made a whole new miniseries and still made "the Stand but subtly worse in every single way" like the last time someone did that.

But this is as much because The Stand is too weirdly structured to be a movie and leans too hard on being unflinching about the grim realities of a doom plague to make good TV so it's just not especially filmable.

I didn't watch it but apparently the new Stand mini decided to tell the story in a weird disjointed way, starting halfway through the book and then doing flashbacks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

afaik Shoe hasn't apologized for anti-feminism including participating in the big anita sarkeesian hate-a-thons and dips back into it occasionally

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

muscles like this! posted:

I didn't watch it but apparently the new Stand mini decided to tell the story in a weird disjointed way, starting halfway through the book and then doing flashbacks.

Only watched the first three episodes but yeah, the scenes were all over the place. Completely turned me off of the whole thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

afaik Shoe hasn't apologized for anti-feminism including participating in the big anita sarkeesian hate-a-thons and dips back into it occasionally

This isn't even true.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Oxxidation posted:

e: wait nope the dick-fondling bit happens after. too much book in that book

I hope there was a book critic who said that about IT when it came out.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

muscles like this! posted:

AKA the way half of the bad movies these days start.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This isn't even true.

did she or did she not align with prominent anti-feminist/anti-"SJW"s like Amazing Atheist and Armored Skeptic, self-identifying as an "egalitarian" while criticizing feminism as an unnecessary ideology that fabricates oppression? and has she reversed any of these opinions?

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Katt posted:

She left up all her monetized fash poo poo which should probably tell you everything about her sincerity.

Though I'm sure the person who only showed up in this thread to defend Shoe is definitely arguing in good faith.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Grunch Worldflower posted:

She left up all her monetized fash poo poo which should probably tell you everything about her sincerity.

Her eyes are dead, like a shark's, no humanity

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

did she or did she not align with prominent anti-feminist/anti-"SJW"s like Amazing Atheist and Armored Skeptic, self-identifying as an "egalitarian" while criticizing feminism as an unnecessary ideology that fabricates oppression? and has she reversed any of these opinions?

Yeah she did that poo poo..How long ago? I'm sure you were super woke from the womb and never had a dumb or awful opinion or said anything stupid. She's constantly disowned that part of her as an embarrassment and wrong thing. Is that not enough?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah she did that poo poo..How long ago? I'm sure you were super woke from the womb and never had a dumb or awful opinion or said anything stupid. She's constantly disowned that part of her as an embarrassment and wrong thing. Is that not enough?

yeah I can't say I've ever managed a platform that directed massive harassment waves at women and minorities or called a black woman actor an ugly gorilla

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do you think that people are incapable of change?

You asked if she's disowned that part of her life, but seemingly don't actually care so why did you ask in the first place?

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 4, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do you think that people are incapable of change?
do you think that everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt whether or not they've actually done anything to earn it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Bare minimum remove the old vids.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDGlEWa4sE

quote:

Do you think it’s possible that something so sickeningly horrible can happen to you that you simply… won't remember it? Today on the longest drat Psych of Play ever we are going to take an extremely deep dive into OMORI and talk about how it portrays trauma and dissociative amnesia. And also how it made me feel… Every. Single. Emotion. At once.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

do you think that everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt whether or not they've actually done anything to earn it

Idk going big on Bernie and having a ton of people say that watching her stuff along with other left leaning YouTubers helped deradicalize them seems like a good thing, no?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Bare minimum remove the old vids.

I'll fully concede this point, I agree entirely that she should do this.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

She still has her lovely reactionary videos up. If she was really sorry, she'd take em down. And yeah, she still does the "Idpol is cringe :smug:" thing every now and then. Sorry but gently caress her. At least until she actually makes a genuine effort to change

Edit: sorry I was writing this before all the other posts said the exact same thing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sincere contrition is seldom pursued with an eye toward brand management. Nazi stink is extremely hard to wash off. At a bare minimum, you could take your youtube channel down and find another way to make a living if you’re serious about it.