Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mantis42 posted:

Despite all the jokes about "Mothra=Martha" during the years leading up to this film, GvK suffers from a distinct lack of a Martha scene. Kong, like Batman, has been turned into the very thing he fought against - in this case a weapon used by the US government. This film needed a moment where he stops being a tool of Monarch and becomes his own Kong.

Skarsgard needed this moment too. The dude just blindly does whatever and never repents for serving the bad guy. Hated the humans because they just looked on like, oh well, Kong gonna die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I realized what the MechaGodzilla design reminds me of.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Exactly!

I thought he was great in G'14. He didn't need to be anything extra. When he was initially with his wife and kid after coming home from being deployed they showed a true chemistry but it's all interrupted by his psycho dad. Then when he learns his dad kinda wasn't lying he's shellshocked. This is literal Earth shattering news that titans exist. I think anyone in his boots would have acted the same.

Yeah, I like him too. He’s exactly how I think a bomb disposal military guy would act. And I imagine he basically grew up thinking the power plant in Japan was basically one big toxic bomb so it makes sense that he would go into a profession where he disarms things to save people.

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress I wish Gareth Edwards wasn't so hosed off from his treatment on Rogue One that he never wanted to touch these again.

I hope he comes back and directs again. He’s very talented. :ohdear:

Violator
May 15, 2003

I was surprised that during the computer scene in GvK that they didn’t use the joke: ”This is a Unix system... I don’t know this!” instead of the 90’s HTML joke.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Maybe this has been asked/answered somewhere, and I suspect the answer is going to be "because movie", but why was there daylight/sunlight in the hollow earth core?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thepokey posted:

Maybe this has been asked/answered somewhere, and I suspect the answer is going to be "because movie", but why was there daylight/sunlight in the hollow earth core?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ApYaywLzs

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ford's gentleness as a person in G14 is such a big contrast to typical Hollywood military men that it really made me like the character. I've seen a lot of people read him as a flat character but I never felt that.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

I realized what the MechaGodzilla design reminds me of.

Alright, that explains a lot about why I actually really like this Mecha-G design.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Godzilla vs Gigan is a far superior treatment of a 'mysterious corporation that is secretly out to get Godzilla with their mechanical monster.' There is actually a mystery, motivations, and better defined characters to carry the film outside of the kaiju bits.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

Godzilla vs Gigan is a far superior treatment of a 'mysterious corporation that is secretly out to get Godzilla with their mechanical monster.' There is actually a mystery, motivations, and better defined characters to carry the film outside of the kaiju bits.

I completely agree with this.

Also Gigan fukkin' rules.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched Godzilla vs. King Kong last night thought it was pretty fun. The fights were cool, but the human plotlines really drug the whole thing down. The movie made me want to revisit the Monsterverse series as a whole, though, so now I'm rewatching the first one. I really like it--especially the ground-level "perspective" of the movie, which shows just how colossal the kaiju are. The human stories are also more grounded and well-integrated, which I also enjoy. I know people complained at the time that the fights were cut away from, but I think it's neat.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

thepokey posted:

The Earth’s molten core acts as a sun, maybe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The whole hollow earth was cool visually but made no sense (I know how stupid this sounds). They had this whole thing going where Kong could jump between top and bottom but... how does that actually work? is relativity being warped around the core itself creating a sense of the other side of the hollow core being closer than it actually us or is the hollow earth a layer around the core. There’s also a weird light source to it and it’s obvious they don’t want us to think much about it since they went through the trouble of explaining the gravity inversion field around it as a nice line of separation but...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
And yet they don’t even bother remembering the gravity inversion transition after that because the plot needed them to be in Hong Kong immediately.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And yet they don’t even bother remembering the gravity inversion transition after that because the plot needed them to be in Hong Kong immediately.

The gravity inversion still happens when they come out in Hong Kong. They almost crash into Kong cause of it.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Nothing about the Hollow Earth makes sense. Not the gravity, not the lighting, not the strange space-warp that they used to get there. It's visually neat and feels a bit Jules Verne-esque, but don't think too hard about it.

In that hollow Earth scene, it annoyed me when the Apex lady decides to shoot Kong because... he's momentarily standing in the way? How did she expect that to end?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

She expected Kong to move out the way and comply because she's wealthy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s cool that Apex has reception through the loving planet.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Hollow Earth being basically a second Earth entirely didn't seem like it followed the previous movies at all. Previously it just seemed like tunnels and pits that either the Skullcrawlers could live in or the flooded areas we see Godzilla in. The ruined temple in KOTM is explictly called the Hollow Earth and saying the guy from Skull Island was right. Then in GvK, there is a guy who wrote a book about the place everyone already knew about, treated as an idiot, then there is something completely different shown.

Continuity in Godzilla films usually doesn't matter that much but the three previous Monsterverse ones were reasonably tight about it. The characters referencing Las Vegas multiple times was also really weird because Vegas was destroyed in G'14 and KOTM reiterated that it had been restored to a forest/jungle by the Titan's radiation. Vegas hasn't existed for like a decade by this movie.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The Earth's core is over 3000 miles deep, so it's best not to think that G's atomic ray blew through that, but not through a MUTO, Ghidorah or Kong

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hollow earth professor dude should have immediately crashed the ship when trying to pilot it. not to mention the whole turning it into a giant defibrillator.

Movie did not even loving try to do right with the human story lmao.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The Earth's core is over 3000 miles deep, so it's best not to think that G's atomic ray blew through that, but not through a MUTO, Ghidorah or Kong

It also shows that Godzilla has pinpoint accuracy at a range of nearly 4000 miles, which is impressive.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

See but he wasn't REALLY pissed off enough

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Before watching this movie I was convinced they were going to have Kong win the titular fight, so have Godzilla stomp the poo poo out of Kong pleased me greatly. I like how Hollow Earth professor says "Round two goes to Kong" in Hong Kong, but no it didn't. Godzilla won the ocean fight hands down and Kong/humans had to play dead to survive. Then in Hong Kong, Godzilla gets knocked down once (leading to Skarsgards line), gets up straight away and basically beats Kong to death. It wasn't a three round fight, it was two and Godzilla won both. Prove me wrong

Movie was a bit crap and felt somehow smaller and lower stakes than the others. Guess that's what happens when you go from Monster Zero as an antagonist to the worst mecha-G ever put to film. Who okayed that design?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Things I am very upset were not in Godzilla vs Kong:

1) At no point did Kong knock an X off of an “APEX” sign, seriously I thought this was the whole reason they named the evil company that.

2) At no point did Kong knock the first word off of a “HONG KONG” sign, seriously I thought this was the whole reason they set the end of the film there (though I will admit it’s possible that they did in fact do this in Chinese, and that would be even better if they did).

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

DorianGravy posted:

It also shows that Godzilla has pinpoint accuracy at a range of nearly 4000 miles, which is impressive.

I mean, he once used it to destroy a planet being hurled at Earth, so he's got some experience!

Just try not to think about how he somehow couldn't tag Kong with it for thirty-ish seconds straight.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hollow earth professor dude should have immediately crashed the ship when trying to pilot it. not to mention the whole turning it into a giant defibrillator.

Movie did not even loving try to do right with the human story lmao.

I joked with my wife that suddenly he’s a master HEAV pilot and just knows all the buttons. Do they even hint that he’s a pilot of any type? :lol:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

Do they even hint that he’s a pilot of any type? :lol:

Nope!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Ford's gentleness as a person in G14 is such a big contrast to typical Hollywood military men that it really made me like the character. I've seen a lot of people read him as a flat character but I never felt that.

Thank you. Yeah this is exactly how I feel. I love the scene where he takes care of the kid on the train. It’s very sweet.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The whole hollow earth was cool visually but made no sense (I know how stupid this sounds). They had this whole thing going where Kong could jump between top and bottom but... how does that actually work? is relativity being warped around the core itself creating a sense of the other side of the hollow core being closer than it actually us or is the hollow earth a layer around the core. There’s also a weird light source to it and it’s obvious they don’t want us to think much about it since they went through the trouble of explaining the gravity inversion field around it as a nice line of separation but...

I thought it was a hollow inner sphere that they were walking around on. The bit where Kong jumped from one side to the other was because he was on top of one mountain and going to jump to the top of the other, but on the other side of the sphere so the tips were almost touching. Just a shortcut, I guess.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I also love how high tech cybernetics megacorp Apex had absolutely no semblance of security anywhere.

Like I kept asking myself "are there no security cameras anywhere in these facilities?" while the three stooged waltzed from high security area to the next like it was nothing.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

It's a sacrificial pit.

Let's walk in for no reason.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

stratdax posted:

I thought it was a hollow inner sphere that they were walking around on. The bit where Kong jumped from one side to the other was because he was on top of one mountain and going to jump to the top of the other, but on the other side of the sphere so the tips were almost touching. Just a shortcut, I guess.

It's another thing that's very poorly conveyed, but their "hollow earth" concept is a small moon floating inside a larger shell, like a yolk inside an egg. So there are actually three worlds: most of the monsters live on the yolk, the Kong civilization lived on the inner surface of the shell, and humans obviously live on the outer surface.

Everything about it is pretty stupid. Like, they literally travel from Antarctica to Hong Kong, probably going the long way, with Kong walking on foot.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Everything about it is pretty stupid. Like, they literally travel from Antarctica to Hong Kong, probably going the long way, with Kong walking on foot.

I agree that everything about the Hollow Earth is silly. However, it should be noted that Kong goes through Godzilla's atomic breath hole that leads directly to Hong Kong. He doesn't go back to Antarctica.

Godzilla roaring at things might be my favorite part of the movie, because it sounds amazing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DorianGravy posted:

I agree that everything about the Hollow Earth is silly. However, it should be noted that Kong goes through Godzilla's atomic breath hole that leads directly to Hong Kong. He doesn't go back to Antarctica.

I mean the entire trip: they go to Antarctica, travel downwards, walk to the cave beneath Hong Kong, and then head up - in, like, a day.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wanna know how Wolf Dad went from Florida to Hong Kong in a few minutes without super technology.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The best part is the energy duplicator (lol) and scream hole were both "answers" for an obviously hacked up plot hole ridden script.

Out of everything ridiculous that happened some how the energy duplicator destroyed my suspension of disbelief.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The scream hole was hilariously dumb, but also amazing and Iove it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The Bee posted:

The scream hole was hilariously dumb, but also amazing and Iove it.

I cackled, it was the film saying gently caress it loudly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

bushisms.txt posted:

The best part is the energy duplicator (lol) and scream hole were both "answers" for an obviously hacked up plot hole ridden script.

Out of everything ridiculous that happened some how the energy duplicator destroyed my suspension of disbelief.

In the future you CAN download more RAM!