Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

I guess this is a case a week format? Not sure it can top hunting for teeth barefoot but we'll see.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Children are shooting each other. There's hit-and-runs going on. My dim memory of the Encyclopedia Brown books included mystery solutions like, "Bugs Meany must be lying about liking hotdogs because everyone knows you don't put ketchup on a hotdog!" Turns out Encyclopedia Brown actually lives in a much rougher town than I'd imagined.

Just the one Junk Drawer this week.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That's a good Garf.

F Minus

Mark Trail

I liked this one, but I think it's the first not previewed in the week. I was expecting a strip on the agave plant.

Mary Worth

Thank goodness she got over her fear of suits.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Just awful.

Andertoons

That's the longest Andertoons caption I've seen I think.

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress Everett True.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I hate this Mary Worth storyline even more now, I know it's a comic strip for old people and so they just want to put a nice ribbon on the story as it ends but I loving hate that after one session of therapy and her going "I forgive my husband for abusing me" she's suddenly perfectly fine and has no problems at all. It's garbage, absolute poo poo rear end garbage.

Some Guy TT posted:

I think that's what makes the Rudy newspaper gag land so well. It's not at all the punchline you're expecting when the setup is mostly calling attention to how she's a Mary Sue.

I just like it because it reminds me of the "LOCAL MAN RUINS EVERYTHING" newspaper headlines on the Simpsons.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Just awful.

Look Buck, just be glad that Sarah's never seen Batman '89.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 14th, 1940

Axa

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

:itwaspoo:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

"I can't tell whether she's happy to see me or not"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Aug 14, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 23-24, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Did Rob Zombie see this?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did Rob Zombie see this?

Hellbilly Deluxe was '98, so the timeline could fit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set brings all the boys to the yard.

Working Daze whatever.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is probably just a coincidence.

Cul De Sac might want to bring that into the shop.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (April 7, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Missed my shot on Sunday Skippy again today. He's coming back, I promise...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
How long has it been since Robbie and Bobby had a non-rerun strip?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 22, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 4, 1918)

Those Were the Days (January 28, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 17, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 17, 1935)

Dark Laughter (June 26, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (June 27, 1948)

Those Were the Days (July 31, 1952)

Aspidastra?

Dinky Fellas (July 8, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 8, 1965)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dark Laughter is consistently the best "old" comic that gets posted.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (June 4, 1918)

I think True's calling this congressman corrupt with that "left hand" thing, but I'm not sure.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

What's wrong with freckles? And you don't get them from sitting in the sun anyway!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

How long has it been since Robbie and Bobby had a non-rerun strip?

6 months or so back when he was doing the color ones. I was actually planning to stop posting it for a while once we caught up with the archive (we're currently in early 2020) but I can stop now if people are getting tired of the reruns.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

readingatwork posted:

6 months or so back when he was doing the color ones. I was actually planning to stop posting it for a while once we caught up with the archive (we're currently in early 2020) but I can stop now if people are getting tired of the reruns.

As somebody who tends to forget that comics exist when they're not being posted here, I would prefer that you not throw Robbie and Bobby down the Memory Hole.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Since it's the same artist: There are still new MDIDs being made(along with My Father is Nosferatu, but those are Patreon exclusives so it's not really kosher to post them), although the instragram is a mix of new ones and reposts of old ones. Although I doubt people would mind reposts of the old ones.

Julet Esqu posted:

As somebody who tends to forget that comics exist when they're not being posted here, I would prefer that you not throw Robbie and Bobby down the Memory Hole.
:agreed:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gnoman posted:

I think True's calling this congressman corrupt with that "left hand" thing, but I'm not sure.
I think this is the good ol' Those Clowns In Congress Need To Stop With All The Politics and Get Stuff Done, just in somewhat archaic form. Also, True sure does love WW1, doesn't he?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nessus posted:

Also, True sure does love WW1, doesn't he?

For all we look at it today as a colossal waste, WWI was massively popular until war weariness began to set in - a stage the US never really reached.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Take It From The Tinkersons

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I hate this Mary Worth storyline even more now, I know it's a comic strip for old people and so they just want to put a nice ribbon on the story as it ends but I loving hate that after one session of therapy and her going "I forgive my husband for abusing me" she's suddenly perfectly fine and has no problems at all. It's garbage, absolute poo poo rear end garbage.

:same:

What makes it worse is that instead of exploring what Eve feels about what she went through, it focused on the completely wrong thing with the dogs. Mary Worth is one of the worst comics ITT because under all its banality is a shitload of toxic garbage.

I can't help but suspect that the reason for Axa's sudden bout of competence in this storyline is because she's fighting opponents that don't look human (despite the fact that the toads are explicitly stated to be humans that lived in the city's poorer district and got mutated). Maybe it's a bad look for Axa to kill humans while it's completely fine for her to slaughter all the toads. Which is weird, because we never really see why the toads are supposed to be terrifying, while we've seen those awful slavers in Vegas and the pirates raiding fishing villages for food and women.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Smells like this place is full of gas. Better make a spark!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (July 24-30, 2000)

I wanna point out two things. First, I really like the relationship Bruno and Corrie have; Corrie here is basically saying "Hey Bruno, I'm flirting with someone online" and he doesn't mind at all. They trust each other, talk things out, and avoid all misunderstandings. (I've said before that, besides Kevin and Kell themselves, Bruno and Corrie have the most stable relationship in the whole strip: they were already together when the strip started, and still are as of 2021.)

Second: Rudy's being a poo poo again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Gnoman posted:

Frankly, I'm no longer willing to grant him the benefit of the doubt.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 27, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 27, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 27, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/4/01

Brenda Starr 3/18-20/46

Messick is being ripped-from-the-headlines here -- there was a major housing crisis in 1946 as waves of returning vets ran straight into the fact that no one had been building new housing through the Depression and the war. This would eventually give birth to big new housing developments and the start of suburban sprawl, but that's a while off.

Smokey Stover 5/12/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Rudy sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Tina & Lois