Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Bust Rodd posted:

Also am I misreading it or does Kormac just have a cheat death now? If I die which one procs first? Mine or his?

It is a cheat death and it procs before yours does (at least for Crusader)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just make sure he's alive lol.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Just play darkest dungeon

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Firebird's is so silly this season, holy poo poo. Was doing well enough with Tal's, but a switch flipped once I filled out a Firebird's set. Zipping around with teleport and bombs and death lasers, with not a care in the world

This maxroll.gg build is solid, but it gets wild with like Ashnagarr's, Taeguk, Wand of Woh, and (cubed) Mantle of Channeling

isk fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 4, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im doing a necro this season and god do i hate rathmas, im basically doing nothing with the actual summons just waiting for army of the dead to be off cooldown, not what id want from a minions build. going to swap over to masquerade bone spear asap, just 1 piece away from the set. Is that one more fun? Or should i just go wizard for the new firebird hotness

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
LLJK disappeared. What's the new community for SA?
e: nm, that was weird.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thomase posted:

LLJK disappeared. What's the new community for SA?
e: nm, that was weird.

Yeah, the game randomly does that. It's happened to me twice. :blizzard:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

This season dares to ask, "how many times can I gamble a Leoric's Signet on this idiot level 1 alt-barb before I get a Band of Might"

So far I'm up to 5.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Field Mousepad posted:

I legit can not figure out why you psychos play hardcore

I don't get it either, I get the rush part, but in a game where everyone has a "Cheat Death" talent, which every HC player runs I'm guessing, it makes it a really pointless mode. OH NO! my CD proc went off, time to TP back to town and wait 3 minutes before I can play the game again.

Blizzard should remove all forms of Cheat Death from Hardcore play IMO, then I could see it being a thing that actually mattered (ladder boards, etc.), instead of it just mostly being a "wait in town game".

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I dunno, you still can't get out of combat super easily. Although now that Emanate Homing pads are a thing maybe this is going to be a lot different.

I haven't messed with hardcore much.

Got to paragon 30 on my Crusader, working on season journeys so I can get my set. My first season start in two or three years and my first on the switch.

I don't think I had ever leveled in rifts before - coming from diablo 2, and earlier d3, even when rifts we're available I always liked to level in the story for some reason. It was always really fun to pick bad endgame skills and make them work for a few levels when you can curbstomp things.

I wish Rifts had a little more variety, but for what they are they're pretty great. It's too bad d3 has been in standby mode for years for the most part. It really could've benefitted from that third expansion, but at least they gave us some of those zones.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

quote:

I dunno, you still can't get out of combat super easily.
Yeah, but if you playing Hardcore, or are a HC player by nature in these kind of games, you're already playing in a safe way & have a "play safe" mindset for things like this going in, which seems like the opposite of "rush" feeling.

Also this game is "always online" with questionable laggy Blizzard servers at times, another reason I don't play this mode.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Im_Special posted:

Yeah, but if you playing Hardcore, or are a HC player by nature in these kind of games, you're already playing in a safe way & have a "play safe" mindset for things like this going in, which seems like the opposite of "rush" feeling.

Also this game is "always online" with questionable laggy Blizzard servers at times, another reason I don't play this mode.

This doesn’t take into account the competitive aspect of HC seasonal. You can only play so safe if you want to climb the ladder.

Also, it’s really, really easy for your cheat death cooldown to pop and then die a second or two later later in a high GR.

And then you quit until the next season :cool:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
True, true, and I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad btw with my points, nor suggesting anyone is playing this game wrong or anything, ultimately we're all playing the same game, to blow crap up on screen and to waste time. :P

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The game literally would not function without cheat death passives though, because of the way damage is calculated and distributed. I don't know if you've ever actually tried to play D3 HC, but the insane adrenaline rush of watching your cheat death proc and trying to find a moment to breathe, or struggling to make some space and get your potion cooldown is absolutely electric. That sort of rush wouldn't be possible if the game just said "you zone into a T16 rift that is just ghosts and bees, instant death"

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This season dares to ask, "how many times can I gamble a Leoric's Signet on this idiot level 1 alt-barb before I get a Band of Might"

So far I'm up to 5.

I got 4-5 signets (among a few dozen blues) before I got the Band of Might.

...then 2 of the loving things dropped in the very first grift I ran after cubing the lvl 1. :tizzy:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I got 4-5 signets (among a few dozen blues) before I got the Band of Might.
I'm up to 9, but at least I'm up to paragon 250 on my main getting there.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I'm up to 9, but at least I'm up to paragon 250 on my main getting there.

Funny thing is that I went into this season dead set on only playing Firebird's because i was 100% sure it was Wizard's gift for this season. When I saw I was Tal's I just saved the first two gifts and started gambling for Firebird's pieces but after a couple thousand shards I got NOTHING so I rolled a barb and used the gifts on it to farm blood shards for the Wizard.

Currently my barb can crush t13, my Wizard can barely clear T1 rifts, and I think I'm down 5k blood shards without a single piece of Firebird's.

:negative:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Also D3 is by far the most 'fair' for a hardcore mode. Every time it's my fault (usually for thinking I can do Perdition before he hits me twice)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Zenithe posted:

Also D3 is by far the most 'fair' for a hardcore mode. Every time it's my fault (usually for thinking I can do Perdition before he hits me twice)

My one critique (and the reason why I don't play HC) is that when your character dies it should be reverted to a regular character and not just straight up deleted.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That doesn't sound very hardcore.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That doesn't sound very hardcore.

But uh... if you live to max level you get spikes on your clothing and a $10 coupon to HotTopic?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That's how Path of Exile does it, right?

Would you have to make a new hardcore character to pull stuff from the HC stash and get it killed to bring it over lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

FFT posted:

That's how Path of Exile does it, right?

Would you have to make a new hardcore character to pull stuff from the HC stash and get it killed to bring it over lol

I believe that's how league only poe items get into standard before the league is added to standard play at the next big patch.

A funny mechanic imo

There's also a kind of funny RP aspect of it if you wish to indulge me - a great warrior spends his days slaughtering millions of creatures, and finally succumbs to their relentless assault (or, a one shot that was not properly rendered due to lag or other factors). They awaken in the afterlife, only to find it exactly the same, except all their scrappy compatriots have been replaced by grognards with insanity inducing hallucinations following them around (mtx), and their gear is beyond imagination.

Our hero, anticipating his own ascension to this new pantheon of warrior, waits grimly in town, only to never venture forth again. Sort of a Toy Story style "And then the boy outgrew his toys" theme.

External Organs fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 5, 2021

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

My first usable primal in several seasons and its not even a primal.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

In case you had bad luck like me, follower items can still have the Your follower cannot die property. Think I went through ~50 Legendary focii before I saw one that wasn't 50% cooldown/unlock all skills

Also, Firebird's is still silly good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

isk posted:

In case you had bad luck like me, follower items can still have the Your follower cannot die property.

Wait, why wouldn't you want that?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Ah, I may have been unclear. It's exactly what I wanted! It just took me so long to get one that I wondered if it had been stealth removed

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rinkles posted:

You're not using Unity rings to double your survivability because you're a baby softcore player who totally sells out toughness for DPS?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Well I've yet to lose a hardcore character. Came close once thanks to lag.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Shrecknet posted:

You're not using Unity rings to double your survivability because you're a baby softcore player who totally sells out toughness for DPS?

Rinkles posted:

Well I've yet to lose a hardcore character. Came close once thanks to lag.

Sounds like you're the baby hardcore player not pushing enough and playing it too safe. :colbert:

Honestly idc what people want to play. Have fun. HC ain't worth the stress to me when I'm just trying to get my dopamine drip on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The new meta this season is seeing how many players you can get to lag out casting Mirror Image in 4-man GRs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I only just saw now that the new season's gimmick is followers with full equipment sets. does that make them capable of dealing decent damage yet?

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I only just saw now that the new season's gimmick is followers with full equipment sets. does that make them capable of dealing decent damage yet?

Theyre less there for dmg and more to give you like 20 more passives

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Theyre less there for dmg and more to give you like 20 more passives
Yeah in practice, the season boils down to "you have Nemesis Bracers and the either 2x Death's Breath drops or 2x keystone drops at all times" as soon as you hit 70. Which is fine!

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Or extra death breaths and rift stones if you use a Ring of Royal Grandeur

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does the RORG have emanate or do you both need the ring to get the effect? Does cubing the ring effect your follower?

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

RORG doesn't emanate and doesn't work on the follower from the cube, but if you equip it on a follower, it will affect the sets the follower has equipped.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The smith seems to get the sage set for free at 70 (probably need to level him up) - so having a full sage set on my follower from the get-go was pretty great. Deaths Breaths were almost never a bottleneck while gearing up this season.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The biggest bottleneck this season is all the crafting mats themselves as it's expensive as hell coughing up halfway decent Crimson & Aughild sets. :negative:

Crafted sets never got the Loot 2.0 treatment so you'll roll up some ancient shoulders with no mainstat and life regen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Over the course of a season, the mats to craft stuff are a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the mats that go into reforging if you're actually going to use all your souls.