Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Is the person who showed up.in this thread solely to defend them one of Shoe's sockpuppets or actually this stupid? Vote now.

of course this is the page snipe lmao

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do you think that people are incapable of change?

You asked if she's disowned that part of her life, but seemingly don't actually care so why did you ask in the first place?

I think that someone who has continued "anti-sjw" tirades recently, such as mocking Sarkeesian and fat positivity movements, has not, in fact, changed that much!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's kinda understandable really if people aren't ultra quick to just forgive Shoe or whatever, really - or anyone else who seems to have got more openly left wing in the past year or two. Regardless of how genuine she is it's not like that's going to just happen overnight considering some of the poo poo she threw about, even if she does dismiss a lot of it as being wrong or cringy or whatever.

Note that this is different from saying it should never happen but it might take a bit more than lefty takes on Twitter. Some other thoughts on feminism that don't just tar it all with the lib pop culture Buzzfeed brush also.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the question really isn't whether anyone comes out of the womb left-wing, it's whether anyone comes out of the womb a youtuber. redemption for being an e-nazi is for your conscience and your friends, not for your online brand.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alaois posted:

is there a single adaptation of a Stephen King book that was not improved 500x by not being a faithful adaptation
The Tommyknockers is only improved about 100x from the book.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The supposed justification for it is that they needed to "become adults" in order to get over their childhood fears in order to defeat Pennywise which is dumb and makes no sense because Pennywise is still around when they're adults and they're still scared of him.
That's their idea. The children's idea. That becoming adults, in the way they conceptualise how you become one, will just automatically make them more powerful and confident and solve the problems they're facing as children. That it doesn't and they have to eventually return and face their childhood as adults is like, literally the point.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ghostlight posted:

That's their idea. The children's idea.

it was stephen king's idea

fun hater fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 4, 2021

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Is the person who showed up.in this thread solely to defend them one of Shoe's sockpuppets or actually this stupid? Vote now.

i vote ‘a cool person who is arguing in good faith’

accusing people of being sockpuppets is the lamest poo poo imaginable lmao

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah like sure she should probably take her old videos down but I really don't see why that's a smoking gun on her not being sincere.

Either way, her new content very much pro-left and has absolutely helped deradicalize at least some of her old audience, so I guess you could argue that how sincere she is doesn't really matter, since the results are the same.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

If you still have videos promoting anti feminism and bigoted world views up and still available then yeah you are still actively promoting that gross poo poo by keeping them up. Taking them down is the bare loving minimum and the fact that she can't even do that speaks volumes

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

If you are continuing to promote harm by keeping old videos up then how can you actually be sincere? Apologies and healing can't start before you actually stop doing harm.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not really deradicalizing people to point them in the direction of Bernie Sanders while still encouraging them to call Anita Sarkeesian the c-word or the r-word or whatever. If you’re still going to be a dumb selfish bully about everything, you’re no good to the left and you’re not going to be with it for very long before reverting to type.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s not really deradicalizing people to point them in the direction of Bernie Sanders while still encouraging them to call Anita Sarkeesian the c-word or the r-word or whatever. If you’re still going to be a dumb selfish bully about everything, you’re no good to the left and you’re not going to be with it for very long before reverting to type.

Source on doing this?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Katt posted:

Agreed. I could read forever about various monster versions of Pennywise eating people but not so much the ledgers, ups and downs of every minor characters farm and family history.

I like the part early in the book where it makes it look like Beverlys husband is a main character and then things just go completely south.

I have a massive soft spot for small stories with in big stories and epistolary stories in big stories that flesh stuff out. It’s why I like king and video game story telling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean calling people who disagree with you about a youtuber nazi psyops is also being a bully op

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is shoe on head the one that looks like Boxxy's younger sister?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is shoe on head the one that looks like Boxxy's younger sister?

Yes...I was shocked to learn they are not the same person frankly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also i agree about taking down her old videos but lol at 'she should delete her youtube channel entirely!!!'

She says dumb poo poo sometimes but do you really think an attractive white woman left the altright sphere to make *more* money? Like whether or not shes left enough for you the idea that shes a secret nazi grifter is ludicrous. The openly nazi grifters make more money. Jontrons subs went up when he went full race science and broke away from all his old friends. Ian Miles Cheong went from random eurogamer listicle writer to being the gamer alt-right guy and got a ton more money for it.

Like im not saying you have to love her or anything like i said i think she says stupid poo poo sometimes too but cmon. The grand master plan of making less money and having everyone call you a nazi if you say idpol alone is a narrowminded way of viewing the world? If she wanted an easy ride, more money, and more friends shed still be making vids about gamergate being cool

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I agree that Shoe doesn't need to delete her account and become a grocery store worker forever but those old vids should go down and/or have monetization turned off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah monetization off at least, I can buy the argument she doesn't want to pretend she never did those things but if monetization is on for them thats bad.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fash to cumtown fan is better than nothing.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

Also i agree about taking down her old videos but lol at 'she should delete her youtube channel entirely!!!'

She says dumb poo poo sometimes but do you really think an attractive white woman left the altright sphere to make *more* money? Like whether or not shes left enough for you the idea that shes a secret nazi grifter is ludicrous. The openly nazi grifters make more money. Jontrons subs went up when he went full race science and broke away from all his old friends. Ian Miles Cheong went from random eurogamer listicle writer to being the gamer alt-right guy and got a ton more money for it.

Like im not saying you have to love her or anything like i said i think she says stupid poo poo sometimes too but cmon. The grand master plan of making less money and having everyone call you a nazi if you say idpol alone is a narrowminded way of viewing the world? If she wanted an easy ride, more money, and more friends shed still be making vids about gamergate being cool

As much as I’m sympathetic to this line of argument this has an easy “This just proves she sucks at being a grifter rather than disproving she is one” Right-winged online people aren’t the brightest bulb in the shed.

But yeah people are a bit too dictomous on both sides of the discussion. There are other left winged people who are this poo poo to people so it wouldn’t really hurt to she show’s conversion as legit but completely incomplete to stop her from being the same of bigoted rear end in a top hat.

I would go far to say having “delete all the bad videos” as something required I’m uncomfortable with full stop. Like I get it of how the YouTube algorithm works means you can’t get something like that WB disclaimer I guess that’s fair but I much prefer the transparency and the irony of an metaphorical inverted Che shirt if someone has done everything else to be contrite .

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Endorph posted:

She says dumb poo poo sometimes but do you really think an attractive white woman left the altright sphere to make *more* money? Like whether or not shes left enough for you the idea that shes a secret nazi grifter is ludicrous.

Yeah, because it's not a secret. She's openly a former nazi-adjacent grifter and no-one is obliged to 'forgive' her youtube brand for that fact or praise her for having the good grace to no longer be actively promoting white supremacy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Endorph posted:

Imo if your values change radically, which can certainly happen slowly and in stages, it should feel like something by the end. I’m not saying that she needs to demonstrate contrition by flagellating herself in a hair shirt on stream, but I’m not going to believe that she’s any different if her behavior doesn’t change because that’s the inevitable result of such a big change in belief. If she were a hollow person who cared more about attention and brand-building than understanding what she is or why, I’d expect her to keep cutting videos and reminding people to smash that like button.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

retsetera thread lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

josh04 posted:

Yeah, because it's not a secret. She's openly a former nazi-adjacent grifter and no-one is obliged to 'forgive' her youtube brand for that fact or praise her for having the good grace to no longer be actively promoting white supremacy.
no one's saying you have to get down on your knees and praise the lord about her christ-like redemption. just that theres a middleground between 'still a literal nazi' and 'the queen of leftism.' like she can be not a nazi anymore but still dumb about some stuff.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Imo if your values change radically, which can certainly happen slowly and in stages, it should feel like something by the end. I’m not saying that she needs to demonstrate contrition by flagellating herself in a hair shirt on stream, but I’m not going to believe that she’s any different if her behavior doesn’t change because that’s the inevitable result of such a big change in belief. If she were a hollow person who cared more about attention and brand-building than understanding what she is or why, I’d expect her to keep cutting videos and reminding people to smash that like button.

dude shes a youtuber

like the reason im inclined to believe the turnaround is sincere because every leftist forum on the internet reacts to people turning stuff around like this, lol. the rightwing throws parades anytime a random youtuber vaguely brings up black crime statistics and the leftwing basically refuses to take people in good faith. and im not saying one is better than the other because both routes are stupid but if she wanted, attention and brand-building, then she could go back to the rightwing at anytime and theyd welcome her with open arms, unlike the constant interrogation that 'breadtube' generates. this does not preclude her from still being a moron in many other ways.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 5, 2021

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

re vinny: people saying that he allegedly gave someone a STD then just don't clarify it was loving HPV lol jesus twitter people

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Endorph posted:

no one's saying you have to get down on your knees and praise the lord about her christ-like redemption. just that theres a middleground between 'still a literal nazi' and 'the queen of leftism.' like she can be not a nazi anymore but still dumb about some stuff.

I don't know this person. None of us know this person. What's actually happening here is that the Nazi TV Network has rebranded as Leftist Entertainment News and you're trying to tell me that there's some point about left purity in wanting the Nazi TV Network to go away completely, actually, rather than welcoming the fact that the people who used to make "Black folk: angry, eh?" are now making "How to feel the Bern on poll day!"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it's funny when a white person is like "okay I've pivoted away from racist beliefs and attitudes" and other white people are like "hmm. I believe this"

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

I don't know this person. None of us know this person. What's actually happening here is that the Nazi TV Network has rebranded as Leftist Entertainment News and you're trying to tell me that there's some point about left purity in wanting the Nazi TV Network to go away completely, actually, rather than welcoming the fact that the people who used to make "Black folk: angry, eh?" are now making "How to feel the Bern on poll day!"
The fact she’s still trash we should’nt approve of either way isn’t something one should undersell especially when there are people who actually welcoming her.

But I don’t think endorph is doing the latter even if “being stupid” underplays what’s actually going on here.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
HEY GUYS HERES A VIDEO ABOUT CLUB NINTENDO A LATIN AMERICA FANZINE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM3oL-xoCO0

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Funnily enough I just looked at Shoe's channel and a whole bunch of the vids that were there back from when I was getting into her stuff and others in 2017 aren't there anymore. Some of them are but a bunch are indeed gone. I also looked at her ex out of curiosity and he's completely out the game -- it seems like Armoured Skeptic privated most every political vid he ever made and just makes videos about aliens now.

Whether to delete old vids or not for whatever reason has a few arguments to be made. You could say that if you delete them they'd probably still end up accessible somewhere else. Someone would reupload them. Still, even if you do want to show where you came from and keep them though you don't agree with them, it's still coming off to people as something you agree with and no matter where she lands on the compass, a lot of those videos were pretty much entirely loved by right-wing folks and pushed people more towards that direction than the left. Kind of like that's a feature built into the whole *REACTING TO CRINGY POLITICAL TAKES* genre.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

josh04 posted:

I think comparing a youtube channel to a national tv network is a bit of an exaggeration. for starters, one is a corporate entity, the other is a person.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

I think comparing a youtube channel to a national tv network is a bit of an exaggeration. for starters, one is a corporate entity, the other is a person.

I don’t think anyone here is actually making a equivalence of scale but more of a equivalence of branding. Even if it doesn’t apply in this case it’s not impossible for a YouTube to be that souless.

Perhaps you should address the possibility that right wing grifters are dumb and stubborn enough to make a poorly done pivot and still commit to it past any reasonable point of fail.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rockit posted:

I don’t think anyone here is actually making a equivalence of scale but more of a equivalence of branding.

Perhaps you should address the possibility that right wing grifters are dumb and stubborn enough to make a poorly done pivot and still commit to it past any reasonable point of fail.
I mean, sure, they are, but at that point literally any leftwing youtuber could be a nazi regardless of previous behavior or what their content is actually like.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Endorph posted:

like the reason im inclined to believe the turnaround is sincere because every leftist forum on the internet reacts to people turning stuff around like this, lol. the rightwing throws parades anytime a random youtuber vaguely brings up black crime statistics and the leftwing basically refuses to take people in good faith. and im not saying one is better than the other because both routes are stupid but if she wanted, attention and brand-building, then she could go back to the rightwing at anytime and theyd welcome her with open arms, unlike the constant interrogation that 'breadtube' generates. this does not preclude her from still being a moron in many other ways.

Ehhh, that's true in insular places like internet forums, but there's plenty of people itching for that Lefty "gently caress the power!" energy but not actually interested in doing any work on themselves. It's the audience that the Peter Coffins and Jimmy Dores of the world play to. So it's entirely possible that shoe tested the winds and decided that there might be better long-term prospects in rebranding as one of those rather than trying to compete with "Actual Congresswomen who say Q poo poo".

It is however equally possible that the right started crossing lines she won't and so she decided to move on to the next thing she thinks she can pull off.

And it's of course possible this is sincere and she's just not especially good at understanding the standards of accountability that lefties expect.

So while I think it's fair to consider the possibility she's sincere, it's not that outlandish to consider this as her just pivoting as a grifter for whatever reason.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

She has an audience of 1.5 million people on YouTube and 400,000 on twitter. Her brand is considerably closer to being a major tv network than it is to any kind of interpersonal relationship. She is not an awkward friend you need to forgive for some gently caress-ups, to well over a million people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

josh04 posted:

She has an audience of 1.5 million people on YouTube and 400,000 on twitter. Her brand is considerably closer to being a major tv network
1.5 million subscribers is not the same thing as 1.5 million viewers, her videos get like 500k-800k views minus the ones that pop off. plus a major tv network has way more cultural impact than a youtube channel even for the youtube channels that do get comparable viewership to cnn or whatever, just cause of the established press media and the avenues it reaches.

ive watched like 5 minutes of her vids in my entire life and looking at her channel her content looks insufferable at best just off the thumbnails so idk why you think i think shes my best friend

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

She has an audience of 1.5 million people on YouTube and 400,000 on twitter. Her brand is considerably closer to being a major tv network than it is to any kind of interpersonal relationship. She is not an awkward friend you need to forgive for some gently caress-ups, to well over a million people.
A lot of people can and have watched lo-fi poo poo made in one’s room. Popularity does not equate production structure.

Endorph posted:

I mean, sure, they are, but at that point literally any leftwing youtuber could be a nazi regardless of previous behavior or what their content is actually like.
Content by itself doesn’t really indicate intent either.

Your long post reminded that there’s a genuine possibility that we’re dealing a mixture of sincerity and give free stuff like that one guy who both posted on storefront and wrote for anarchist academia

Rockit fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 5, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also unless im missing something someone said 'she compared black people to gorillas' and what actually happened was she replied to a tweet saying the harambe meme was only popular because people like making fun of african names with 'the dead meme police are here.' like i searched 'racism shoeonhead' and that was the tweet that kept coming up. so like maybe people are taking stuff out of context or just telephone gaming stuff when it comes to her. (see: 'she should delete her videos!' and then a lot of her old stuff actually being deleted)

like you can think the harambe meme is racist in nature like that original tweet said or it isnt her place to mock that view or whatever but its pretty different from 'saying black people are gorillas.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Endorph posted:

also unless im missing something someone said 'she compared black people to gorillas' and what actually happened was she replied to a tweet saying the harambe meme was only popular because people like making fun of african names with 'the dead meme police are here.' like i searched 'racism shoeonhead' and that was the tweet that kept coming up. so like maybe people are taking stuff out of context or just telephone gaming stuff when it comes to her. (see: 'she should delete her videos!' and then a lot of her old stuff actually being deleted)

like you can think the harambe meme is racist in nature like that original tweet said or it isnt her place to mock that view or whatever but its pretty different from 'saying black people are gorillas.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbD0AzUBVzI