Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endorph posted:

I think comparing a youtube channel to a national tv network is a bit of an exaggeration. for starters, one is a corporate entity, the other is a person.
Corporate entities are legally persons, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My bad, then. Still, seeing that harambe thing spread around as proof of something super racist when that clip exists is very funny.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

Corporate entities are legally persons, so.
So of course this means as singular person they’re not capable of being deceitful at least if their pocketbooks are in the red. :p

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

dmboogie posted:

i vote ‘a cool person who is arguing in good faith’

accusing people of being sockpuppets is the lamest poo poo imaginable lmao

lol

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Endorph posted:

My bad, then. Still, seeing that harambe thing spread around as proof of something super racist when that clip exists is very funny.

Seeing this again gives me a really poo poo feeling inside.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

Seeing this again gives me a really poo poo feeling inside.

yea. iunno, i stand by 'people can change' and poo poo but she does need to be more careful what she says/how she presents herself. im not begrudging people for disliking her or having distaste for her just i think that's entirely separate from 'secretly still a nazi' if that makes any sense.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Endorph posted:

Still, seeing that harambe thing spread around as proof of something super racist when that clip exists is very funny.

it's almost like white people cover their tracks, or something,

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

josh04 posted:

Yeah, because it's not a secret. She's openly a former nazi-adjacent grifter and no-one is obliged to 'forgive' her youtube brand for that fact or praise her for having the good grace to no longer be actively promoting white supremacy.

ON top of that the only thing that has happened since her great change was that she got a new twitter avatar. People can change but Shoe's defense is "hey I'm a known grifter but now I'm pretending to be on your side." It's the exact same poo poo as all these former Trump officials suddenly pretending to care about the COVID death toll and refugee welfare except people are actually dumb enough to fall for it.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 5, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bleck posted:

it's almost like white people cover their tracks, or something,
i think shes done a pretty bad job of that considering everyone knows about her past

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

yea. iunno, i stand by 'people can change' and poo poo but she does need to be more careful what she says/how she presents herself. im not begrudging people for disliking her or having distaste for her just i think that's entirely separate from 'secretly still a nazi' if that makes any sense.

I think suspicions of "secretly still a nazi" are in play here because, well, she really kinda was that loving bad at her height, so while turning away from that is good for her, she'll always be under that cloud of suspicion from some people because, well, she was a proud and public agent of active malice longer than she has not been so far, and people are scared by experience with people like that. I mean I sure as poo poo wouldn't trust her.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Endorph posted:

i think shes done a pretty bad job of that considering everyone knows about her past

you just needed to be corrected about that, though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bleck posted:

you just needed to be corrected about that, though
i never said 'she never said anything racist' i just didnt find any clips of the gorilla thing specifically

also 'covering her tracks' is a weird claim to make here cause A) multiple people in this thread were saying she has to delete the vids actually and B) she isnt the one spreading the dumb harambe thing around and clogging up the search results when you try to find this stuff

nine-gear crow posted:

I think suspicions of "secretly still a nazi" are in play here because, well, she really kinda was that loving bad at her height, so while turning away from that is good for her, she'll always be under that cloud of suspicion from some people because, well, she was a proud and public agent of active malice longer than she has not been so far, and people are scared by experience with people like that. I mean I sure as poo poo wouldn't trust her.
if she had a height which she is no longer at why would she give it up

like just looking at her account she was getting more views back when she was doing that poo poo. now again you could argue 'maybe shes just stupid and bad at being a grifter' and fair but why has she not given it up at this point if it is a grift. like itd be easy to turn the corner back to it.

and like, whats the endgame here, exactly? make money? she was already doing that as a rightwinger. subtly plant fascist ideas into peoples heads? she was already doing that as a rightwinger. like, yes, again you could just say shes stupid but at that point i might as well say quintonreviews or whoever is a nazi.

im not saying you have to like, trust, respect, or thank her for anything, just 'probably not a nazi anymore' isnt that big an ask. like if it's not worth respecting her or thanking her for then its also not that big an accolade that you have to vet her for 100% certainty before you go 'yea sure shes probably not a nazi anymore.' thats my point. it cant be both 'she doesnt deserve respect for doing this its the bare minimum' AND 'also i will never believe that shes done this'

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grunch Worldflower posted:

ON top of that the only thing that has happened since her great change was that she got a new twitter avatar. People can change but Shoe's defense is "hey I'm a known grifter but now I'm pretending to be on your side." It's the exact same poo poo as all these former Trump officials suddenly pretending to care about the COVID death toll and refugee welfare except people are actually dumb enough to fall for it.

What’s the Canadian equivalent of the Lincoln Project? The (Pierre) Trudeau Project?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Endorph posted:

also 'covering her tracks' is a weird claim to make here cause A) multiple people in this thread were saying she has to delete the vids actually and B) she isnt the one spreading the dumb harambe thing around and clogging up the search results when you try to find this stuff

*looking directly at tracks that have been covered* "I wouldn't say she exactly covered up the tracks, per se,"

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What’s the Canadian equivalent of the Lincoln Project? The (Pierre) Trudeau Project?

Canadian right-wingers seem pretty happy to latch onto their southern cousin's political movements so it's probably still just the Lincoln Project.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I looked up and apparently Shoe did apologise for that Leslie Jones comment, but not on her socials. She did it on an interview with Vaush, who brought it up. And it seems like she kinda framed it in a way where she was apologising for being "cringey" (which is annoying and seems to lighten it, plus do you have to be SO terminally online) and that she didn't know that calling her a gorilla could have...well, quite considerable racial connotations, which seems ridiculous really. I mean, is that really plausible? Is this some poo poo American education thing?

Something something "I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed"

The original clip just shows this ridiculous naivete she always seems to have as well. Like "aw what Milo said wasn't THAT bad and aw he's just totally harmless and edgy and what not (plus...well, y'know, he's right isn't he lol)". Kinda like how she made a whole video saying that Trump wasn't going to do anything to LGBT people (unsurprisingly that video's not up anymore, seeing as it aged like cheese left out in the sun. Tbf, I think she did acknowledge that one).

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 5, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bleck posted:

*looking directly at tracks that have been covered* "I wouldn't say she exactly covered up the tracks, per se,"
if you can look at the tracks then they arent covered this metaphor doesnt work

Kim Justice posted:

and that she didn't know that calling her a gorilla could have...well, quite considerable racial connotations, which seems ridiculous really. I mean, is that really plausible? Is this some poo poo American education thing?
depending on where you grew up, absolutely. that isnt excusing her or anything because like, she was an alt-right type even being as charitable as possible she was parroting language avowed racists were using. but entirely separate from shoe, yeah, american race eduaction is dogshit. I'm not even 30 and my elementary school textbooks called martin luther king the nword.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 5, 2021

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Endorph posted:

People can try to cover their tracks and do it badly. Did someone scoop out your brains and replace them with scrambled eggs?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Endorph posted:

you did not see the tracks, is the point,

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Endorph posted:

depending on where you grew up, absolutely. that isnt excusing her or anything because like, she was an alt-right type even being as charitable as possible she was parroting language avowed racists were using. but entirely separate from shoe, yeah, american race eduaction is dogshit. I'm not even 30 and my elementary school textbooks called martin luther king the nword.

I'm sorry what

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

What are you trying to say here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

I'm sorry what
it was as described. i grew up in a gently caress poor tiny county with a like 1% black population, but still.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

My area had an museum that had lost cause be monologued at us as kids. The actual school stuff wasn’t was bad but it still framed the civil war as multiple causes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shoeonhead is Canadian: you can't blame that one on us. Unless she was radicalized on 4chan. Which she was.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Saagonsa posted:

What are you trying to say here

It's an abbreviation for the popular online video game League of Legends.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think dying on the hill of someone that might be a grifter is really worth all this. People have more than enough reasonable doubt there to forgive and forget so easily.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Shoeonhead is Canadian: you can't blame that one on us. Unless she was radicalized on 4chan. Which she was.

Nah, she's not. She's from Noo Yawk. Skeptic's the Canadian one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dias posted:

I don't think dying on the hill of someone that might be a grifter is really worth all this. People have more than enough reasonable doubt there to forgive and forget so easily.
im not dying on a hill and i said people don't have to forgive and forget.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Eh i think there’s room for argument that how Canada is influenced partially by our own lovely education system.

America after is all a very influential country for better and worse. Though you can probably point to the UK as well.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 5, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

...no she isn't? Part of her entire shtick is that she is very American

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bleck posted:

so she should delete her lovely old videos, but when she deletes lovely things she apologizes for that's covering tracks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Nah, she's not. She's from Noo Yawk. Skeptic's the Canadian one.

I never once considered the possibility that someone named June Lapine wouldn’t be Canadian. I also always thought it was a pseudonym. Turns out I was the real racist. Sorry, Canada.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

I never once considered the possibility that someone named June Lapine wouldn’t be Canadian. I also always thought it was a pseudonym. Turns out I was the real racist. Sorry, Canada.

Sounds more like a San Fran hippy thing than a Canadian thing imho. No offense actual people like that. More like a lovely knee jerk than something I take as fact.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think the bare minimum she could do is donate 6 hearts to needy donors and the fact that she hasn't already says a lot about her character.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Rockit posted:

Sounds more like a San Fran hippy thing than a Canadian thing imho. No offense actual people like that. More like a lovely knee jerk than something I take as fact.

*looks up on Wikipedia*
Ok that surname is apparently Latvian but other than all notable people and places with it are all American.
So any Latvians down here my b for the assumption even though the first name June was kinda part of it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

so she should delete her lovely old videos, but when she deletes lovely things she apologizes for that's covering tracks.

which she only does because she's white (???)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Like I think Shoe's still real dumb but do believe she's genuine in at least supporting mostly good things these days, but it's very weird to simultaneously think she needs to delete her old poo poo that was bad and also treat it as proof that she's just hiding if she does. You can just say she sucks you don't need to 'prove' it with some weird contradictory theory just say 'yea I still don't like her'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

apologising is a grift, change proves you haven't changed, the fact that I found this old video means she's covered her tracks, what backwards universe are you all posting from?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

so she should delete her lovely old videos,

I didn't say anything about whether or not she should delete her videos, I said it's funny when white people say "I'm not a racist anymore" and then other white people say "hmm this seems legitimate"

if you want to have hope you just keep on doing that, bub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Like I think Shoe's still real dumb but do believe she's genuine in at least supporting mostly good things these days, but it's very weird to simultaneously think she needs to delete her old poo poo that was bad and also treat it as proof that she's just hiding if she does. You can just say she sucks you don't need to 'prove' it with some weird contradictory theory just say 'yea I still don't like her'.

yeah it seems pretty simple to me. she deleted what she thought was "cringey" and left the old "anti-sjw" stuff she agrees with on some level. when i looked at them today it's clear she knows perfectly well they exist and continue collecting viewers who agree with the content because she responds to like one-month-old comments.