Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm continuing my journey through Dragon Quest XI S on GamePass and oh my god this is just the comfiest game. It's as if someone made A Really Good Cup Of Tea: The Videogame or A Pleasant Relaxing Bath: The Videogame. I like the bright, colourful world and adorable monster designs, I like the episodic-ish feeling nature of each chunk of the game. I like the easygoing nature of the battle system outside of boss fights and having team-mate AI that actually feels good enough to just leave them on 'Fight Wisely' and have them not act like complete idiots. I like the characters themselves - Sylvando is, as I'm sure many people will agree, the absolute greatest.

Having enemies present on the overworld means that I can control exactly how much I feel like battling and generally I've felt pretty on-level for wherever I am in the game just by smacking at least one of every new monster I see, going out of my way to explore and find treasure - that usually requires defeating an enemy or two that auto-aggro or are protecting it - and completing quests as I come upon them. Although quest-wise the Tickington stuff that I don't know that I can really be bothered with, having no real nostalgia for Dragon Quest as a franchise (my first Dragon Quest game was actually Dragon Warrior Monsters on the GBC and besides that I've played DQ1 - that's it) but that doesn't matter because it's entirely optional. Anyway, being able to just run around and otherwise avoid combat encounters is great. I've just finished up at Octagonia and am heading over to Dundrasil where I figure some plot dumping is about to happen and it was basically an anime tournament arc and I love it.

The game is just absolutely charming as gently caress. I think the high degree of charm actually allows it to take elements like the now cliche turn based battle system and the so far absolutely cliche chosen one story and have them work because the entire thing feels like one big comfy fairy tale. I don't seem myself diving into the post-game stuff when I eventually finish up the game as that's just not what I'm looking for out of it, but I'm looking forward to continuing to gently ramble and meander through the rest of the game until the credits roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Outlanders has a mixed Steam review score and is like, 12th place on Twitch which is usually the one-two combo of a live service game that has about 20 days left to live

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

sad to see marth is dead 5ever :negative:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Outlanders has a mixed Steam review score and is like, 12th place on Twitch which is usually the one-two combo of a live service game that has about 20 days left to live

It'll be good in August 2022 when Outlanders Reborn launches and everyone will think "wow this game came out of nowhere!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh poo poo Loop Hero owns

Is there a thread for it anywhere?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Mode 7 posted:

I'm continuing my journey through Dragon Quest XI S on GamePass and oh my god this is just the comfiest game. It's as if someone made A Really Good Cup Of Tea: The Videogame or A Pleasant Relaxing Bath: The Videogame. I like the bright, colourful world and adorable monster designs, I like the episodic-ish feeling nature of each chunk of the game. I like the easygoing nature of the battle system outside of boss fights and having team-mate AI that actually feels good enough to just leave them on 'Fight Wisely' and have them not act like complete idiots. I like the characters themselves - Sylvando is, as I'm sure many people will agree, the absolute greatest.

Same, same, same, same and same

Being able to grind for money or levels by having the AI just use literally the exact skills you'd use is so sweet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways the reason I made that post is cause I started Gnosia (bingo check) and it made me do that, but the game is weird enough it might try to do something with the controlled character being the player. Idk.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

For reasons known only to some part of my subconscious it has become very important to get the Android port of Max Payne working on my Vita(!). It has consumed my entire night to the point where I have yet to actually play a game or do anything other than transfer files through ftp and restart the system to see if it works now.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyways the reason I made that post is cause I started Gnosia (bingo check) and it made me do that, but the game is weird enough it might try to do something with the controlled character being the player. Idk.

I remember when YIIK first came out people were calling it transphobic because it asked the player to enter the name their mom and dad gave them and I was like ehhh I'm pretty sure this is just a setup for the thing that every single Earthbound-like game does where it talks to the player by name and this is his dumb way of asking you not to type in WeedLord420 and mess up his epic scene

To clarify, transphobic on accident sure, but for as dumb as YIIK is I don't think he meant to be actively transphobic by phrasing that question that way like I saw people asserting

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm near the end of Revengeance and it's getting really good.

smirky sam was dumb, he said some lines and died, but... wait is that sunny?? SUNNY BUILT ME A SPACESHIP??!?!?

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh poo poo Loop Hero owns

Is there a thread for it anywhere?

Yup! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960863

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Loop Hero thread kind of died once the game got essentially solved. Fun while it lasted though

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
okay i will never forgive the president of the united states for beating up my morally ambiguous metal dog with a giant mechanical spider

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
THE MEMES!!!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

okay i will never forgive the president of the united states for beating up my morally ambiguous metal dog with a giant mechanical spider

may thread title plz

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blade wolf is morally ambiguous only because he still endeavors to define the parameters for good boy

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Simone Magus posted:

Disaster Report 4 second report

Lol what the heck is this game! It's like a cross between Deadly Premonition and Shenmue, only instead of kung fu or alternate dimensions there's falling buildings, and most of the time you're just involved in banal and absurd side stuff

I dunno who these games were made for other than me and, presumably, some segment of Japanese gamer

I’m pretty sure I put Disaster Report 4 in my top 10 for GOTY.

So there’s a small section of us who realize its brilliance. The amount of dialogue options you get for responses is good, and the absurd but mundane stuff is fantastic. Like the game completely flip flops between “ah, we’re just trying to get back to our normal lives after this disaster. Buildings have toppled over but we are okay, wow look at this wacky situation” and “THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE AND YOU’RE ALL GONNA DIE”

A+ hope there’s a Disaster Report 5 coming.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
well i cut the giant spider into exactly 234 different pieces so i feel better about it

e: oh he's a senator! i was mixing him up with solidus somehow

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 5, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

e: oh he's a senator! i was mixing him up with solidus somehow

it is VERY important that you do not gently caress with that senator

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I haven't played (well, enjoyed) many video games this year and I don't know why.

Last year I started out by having a great time in Dragon Quest XI, finally getting around to buying Rez Infinite, tried a modded XCOM 2 run, had the nice surprise of XCOM Chimera Squad and then Animal Crossing, got addicted to Trackmania for a bit, had some good runs of STALKER, and the two Kickstarter games I'd backed (Wasteland 3 and Project Wingman) ended up fantastic and I had tons of fun.

This year started off with a great run of a rock solid install of New Vegas. Then I beat Mario 3D World but didn't have much fun doing it. I tried the revamped demo for one game I backed, System Shock, and hated it. Respawning enemies didn't annoy me much in SS2 but here I'm struggling to get anything done with dwindling supplies and more enemies as I try to explore. I just gave up because I wasn't having any fun, and that made me dread the game actually coming out. Then I tried going back to Metroid: Samus Returns (the 3DS one), kept getting annoyed at the difficulty. I know the melee mechanic makes enemies easier but man does it suck relying on that for every single enemy. I just ended up dripping that on the second area because all my mind would do it want to just play AM2R instead. Now I just tried the R-Type Final 2 demo on my Switch and... well again I'm regretting my choice. Performance seems like it's going to suck and I'd rather have chosen the Steam version.

So basically this year I've only enjoyed New Vegas and Super Metroid, two games that are more comfort food than entertainment, and am stuck dreading the games I backed and can't find anything fun to play :(

Hell I forgot about Horizon Zero Dawn and Cyberpunk at the end of the year, which I suck tons of hours in

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's a mobile "game/experience"

Oh... that's too bad.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

it is VERY important that you do not gently caress with that senator

holy poo poo I'm learning this very quickly

i wish I hadn't started this fight with only 1 paste

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Simone Magus posted:

Disaster Report 4 second report

Lol what the heck is this game! It's like a cross between Deadly Premonition and Shenmue, only instead of kung fu or alternate dimensions there's falling buildings, and most of the time you're just involved in banal and absurd side stuff

I dunno who these games were made for other than me and, presumably, some segment of Japanese gamer

The Black Stones posted:

I’m pretty sure I put Disaster Report 4 in my top 10 for GOTY.

So there’s a small section of us who realize its brilliance. The amount of dialogue options you get for responses is good, and the absurd but mundane stuff is fantastic. Like the game completely flip flops between “ah, we’re just trying to get back to our normal lives after this disaster. Buildings have toppled over but we are okay, wow look at this wacky situation” and “THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE AND YOU’RE ALL GONNA DIE”

A+ hope there’s a Disaster Report 5 coming.

The Disaster Report games have just the right amount of jank to entertainment ratio that if it hits for you, it HITS. I compare it to the EDF series or Deadly Prem. I still need to pick up DR 4.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I started the demo for Outriders, or whatever the heck it's called. I doubt I'll stick with this game, but what a weird, miserable tone it starts with. Big ol' Debbie Downer of an intro.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I started the demo for Outriders, or whatever the heck it's called. I doubt I'll stick with this game, but what a weird, miserable tone it starts with. Big ol' Debbie Downer of an intro.

i found it pretty hilarious just how utterly and completely hosed the human race is. earth is dead, they send two whole ships to space (one gets blown up!!) and the remaining one only has 500k people on it. that's bad enough of a starting position to rebuild civilization AND THEN the planet they picked out is ridiculously hostile. like there's no way this species is going to survive. it's great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ciaphas posted:

Thinking this evening about picking up Outriders

Seems like my jam - sci fi, looter shooter, neat abilities with shorter cooldowns than e.g. Destiny - but thread opinions seem somewhat mixed

This has been my weekend

The story is hilariously bad, leaning into 2000s grimdark edgelord poo poo where everyone gets shot in the head, go in expecting a B movie and it's fine. Or you can skip it.

In terms of arena shooting it is incredibly fun, yeah it's like Destiny except every annoying live game design choice has been replaced with "hey you're supposed to own so here have something cool"

I am nearing the end of the story and every 6 seconds I teleport behind a guy, go "nothing personnel kid" and punch them and if their heads don't explode they are sent into the Slow Dimension, then I drop a bubble that stops all incoming bullets so I can do this

https://twitter.com/terroristsweet/status/1368317988080816129

Except one of my guns freezes and burns people at the same time while the other one does 10k damage in burst procs.

Also I just picked up this mod because the game is like "Oh you need to teleport more, sure thing"

Reports are the group content after you finish the story is also fun, without forcing you onto a live game treadmill

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sir, this is the videogames forum

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This gun is exactly what a disaffected highschooler would scribble in their notebook during class, it is also really fun to use

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't want to be a "Stan" but its concurrent playercount is higher than Borderlands 2 and 3's all time high lol

Also Aerith is an Outrider (#synergy)
https://twitter.com/TheStrangeRebel/status/1378095615574351872

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This gun is exactly what a disaffected highschooler would scribble in their notebook during class, it is also really fun to use

I don't want to be a "Stan" but its concurrent playercount is higher than Borderlands 2 and 3's all time high lol

The Borderlands series sold 60 million copies with Borderlands 3 making up 10 mil alone as of Feb 21. If Outriders gets anywhere close to that I'd be amazed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The gun looks exactly like someone stole the exact aesthetic design of several weapons from Destiny and just reconfigured it enough to not be blatantly plagiarism.

Also the UI is pretty dang Destiny too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Now this on the other hand, this I can get behind

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Propaganda Hour posted:

The Borderlands series sold 60 million copies with Borderlands 3 making up 10 mil alone as of Feb 21. If Outriders gets anywhere close to that I'd be amazed.

Yeah the Borderlands 3 Steam numbers are also significantly deflated because the game had already been out for a year on the Epic store

e: yeah if you showed me any of those screenshots and told me they were from Destiny, I'd say "yes you're right, absolutely" and I played Destiny 2 for like 40 hours

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now this on the other hand, this I can get behind

Well you wouldn't want to get in front of it would you?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you Zaphod and Harrow!

(Thanks to Regy Rusty clipping it, I did not realise how incredibly filled with joy and delirium I sounded when beating Darklurker here:
https://clips.twitch.tv/OpenPlainOwlPMSTwin-n3FLlEpHtbnkEfuI I was so ecstatic that I saw stars and went light headed. What a feeling :D)

Today I am taking a day off from gaming (possibly - gaming is so much fun on days off from work) before I start DS3 tomorrow. :)

--

My first video game ever played (if we are talking console gaming) is Super Mario Brothers 1 at a craft fair. My parents loved taking the whole family to these places and at one point I got put in the children's creche area where they had a NES and SMB set up. I was 8 years old and managed to get to Bowser's castle in 1-4 before we had to go home.

First game ever completed happened two years later with Super Mario Brothers 3 which I finished before SMB1. In fact I finished SMB2 as well also before SMB1. I was obsessed with SMB3 and SMB2 as a kid.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm not 100% on this but I think the first game I ever beat was Yoshi's Island and you know what, there's a game that doesn't get nearly enough love. When Nintendo were putting together a sequel to SMW it would have been so easy to shovel out something formulaic with a couple of new twists but instead they completely switch up the rulebook. Instead they pull out a whole load of original ideas including egg shooting, vehicle transformations, minigame bonus stages, Baby Mario, Poochie and that's before you get into all the individual level gimmicks. And then you take all those ideas and wrap it up in a gorgeous art style. I mean, just look at this.

The pastel colourbase and the sketched style means it feels like you're playing a piece of artwork. Oh and the music is top notch too. I bet now that I'm talking about it you're already hearing the doo do de do do, de doo do de do do in your head. It's iconic. I have so many great memories of this game and it had just the right level of challenge for my 11 year old rear end to be overcome it. I beat it and then I went back and 100%'d every single level cause finding all the secrets was so fun and made me feel really smart. I feel like in the Super Mario canon this game kinda gets overlooked a lot but it's such a banger. If I was forced to rank the Mario games I'm pretty sure this would be in my top 3. It's easy and breezy and just a good time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know if I keep losing in Gnosia because it's stacked against you (in order to win, you both need your side to win a game of mafia, but also need your character to survive) or if it's because I'm very bad at it

I mean, my win rate isn't 0 and rounds are so fast you can mash them quickly, but still

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

stats are a big thing, early on your stats are so bad that if you talk much at all you're going to gently caress everything up. either people will tell you to shut up and you get airlocked or you get the gnosia's attention and you get killed. mostly have to pass turns, watch what happens, and put your finger on the scale when you can actually make an impact, until you level up enough to be in control of the game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yoshi's Island is, imo, a perfect video game. There isn't a single flaw in the game to me

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Pet peeve talk: it's pretty annoying when I'm watching someone's LP of a horror game and then the game just ends and it turns out it is a demo that is probably not gonna get finished. It's fine if it is tagged as a demo but there are several that just end with "to be continued in full game" or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Macaluso posted:

Yoshi's Island is, imo, a perfect video game. There isn't a single flaw in the game to me

The secret red coins that look basically exactly like the regular coins can gently caress right off to nopesville