Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31194854/detroit-tigers-akil-baddoo-homers-first-pitch-first-mlb-bat
I'm all in on Akil Neoman Baddoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

As expected Braves-Nats postponed, only Monday so far.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Even ignoring the bit where vaccination isn't a personal decision at a population level, the fact that a bunch of players are getting sick and loving up the schedule should tell them it isn't even an individual decision within their own sport.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

Even ignoring the bit where vaccination isn't a personal decision at a population level, the fact that a bunch of players are getting sick and loving up the schedule should tell them it isn't even an individual decision within their own sport.

This is a discussion me and my family are having, I prefer not to comment on it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phills sweep Braves to open the season

I remember how the season played out the last time that happenede

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

Because for god-knows-what reasons, the city of Tampa decided to build a stadium for a major league baseball team that didn't exist in the late 1980s using the Metrodome (:wtf:), which all of the teams it hosted started seeing as outdated less than 20 years after it was built, as the inspiration.

The story is better than that. Jerry Reinsdorf was at loggerheads with the City of Chicago regarding tax credits and other public funding for the new Comiskey Park. Both sides were pretty solidly entrenched, so Reinsdorf got together with some of his real estate buddies in Florida; those guys pressured the government of St. Petersburg to eventually say, "Hell, yeah, we'll gladly welcome the White Sox if Chicago doesn't want them! poo poo, we'll start building a stadium right now!" So construction began on the Trop without any agreement with the White Sox to move there, and expansion was still a twinkle in the eye of MLB at that point. So St. Petersburg got completely pantsed by Reinsdorf--who never had any intention of leaving Chicago, he just hated Mayor Daley and wanted to give him a panic attack--and the Trop sat largely empty for almost a decade, outside of Lightning games and concerts.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

kinda dreading Ohtani pitching today, his first time back from surgery last year was a traumatic experience. Zero outs, infinite ERA, injury.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

bees x1000 posted:

kinda dreading Ohtani pitching today, his first time back from surgery last year was a traumatic experience. Zero outs, infinite ERA, injury.

It was v. funny

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Astros just absolutely demolished the A's. Basically the Astros have owned the A's since the what are they gonna say now thing that I currently can't find

With this pitching staff I'm not confident in the season, especially with how lovely Myles Straw is. But it's still fun in the moment

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Its Rinaldo posted:

It was v. funny

disagree

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

bees x1000 posted:

Then just watch him hit, he's up 2nd.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Oh cool, the Angels game is blacked out on MLB.tv for some reason. Way to go MLB

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
yea Sunday Night Baseball is never available on mlb tv

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Slimy Hog posted:

Oh cool, the Angels game is blacked out on MLB.tv for some reason. Way to go MLB

On ESPN only

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I watched it elsewhere but the ESPN broadcast this afternoon of Atlanta-Philly was blacked out for me because the game was also theoretically available on the RSNs, which Hulu TV does not carry.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AsInHowe posted:

On ESPN only

Which always annoys me, because the ESPN crew is always a huge step down from Benetti and Stone. :colbert:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
In case you missed it, Ohtani was throwing triple digit heat and then mashed the first pitch he saw 450 feet.

Baseball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Johnny Bravo posted:

In case you missed it, Ohtani was throwing triple digit heat and then mashed the first pitch he saw 450 feet.

Baseball.

IcePhoenix posted:

new thread rule you have to post the highlight when talking about cool poo poo like this

I'll cover for you this time :colbert:

https://twitter.com/MLBHRVideos/status/1378875774443384833

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

He threw the hardest pitch by a starting pitcher so far this season, and hit the hardest home run so far this season. Beautiful, I really hope he succeeds.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I could listen to that bat crack for hours.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lmao

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

oh man that's good

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1378898089273069571

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I joke about wasting Ohtani's career but I didn't really want him to get hurt!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

I joke about wasting Ohtani's career but I didn't really want him to get hurt!

Same, I want him to be like Trout: balling out on a team that can't figure out how to put anyone decent around him

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I saw this on some comment section and I can't stop laughing at it

"Phil Niekro threw a 61-mph knuckleball in the top half of one inning and bunted a man to 2nd in the bottom half. Similar? "

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just thinking about how Grienke could have been Ohtani if they'd given him the chance

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is craig kimbrel BACK

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Shohei Otani is the most amazing little-kid fantasy of a baseball player to emerge in my lifetime and I cannot help but love him forever, no matter what.

R.D. Mangles posted:

is craig kimbrel BACK

as one of the very few Craig Kimbrel partisans out there, i sure hope so, i would love to see him rebound and establish himself in mid-high 400s save territory.

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 5, 2021

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
Managers yeeting games saving their closers for a lead was something I missed. I’m glad an unaccountable TLR is back in baseball to do stupid poo poo and take me back to 2008.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

It would be funny if it didn't have a chance to ruin this fun and promising white sox team

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He already got Eloy killed so he’s off to a good start

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

elentar posted:

Shohei Otani is the most amazing little-kid fantasy of a baseball player to emerge in my lifetime and I cannot help but love him forever, no matter what.

:same: I want one season where he gets incredible luck with his run support and goes 20-3 with a 2-something ERA in 28 starts... and ALSO goes .300 with 30+ dingers in 450 AB.

bewbies posted:

I saw this on some comment section and I can't stop laughing at it

"Phil Niekro threw a 61-mph knuckleball in the top half of one inning and bunted a man to 2nd in the bottom half. Similar? "

Huh. That's closer than I would have thought.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Baseball needs Shohei Ohtani

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My dad watched a lot of baseball when I was younger so I've got some nostalgia and I thought maybe this year I'll try watching some instead of just catching youtube clips of bloopers and insane plays.

I don't have cable, or Sling, or anything like that. I'm also not interested in paying $25 a month to watch a single team or whatever the cheapest MLB.tv option is. I guess my best bet is trying to get in on the sharing option? I checked my blackouts and it's just the Cardinals and Reds it looks like, neither of which I'd be interested in. Padres, Brewers, Pirates, basically any team with an unusual or fun theme like that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Do you have Sprint/T-Mobile? If so

https://www.t-mobile.com/mlb

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Intruder posted:

Do you have Sprint/T-Mobile? If so

https://www.t-mobile.com/mlb

Oh son of a bitch I had no idea about this :gonk:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nah I'm on Google Fi, which partially uses T-mobile towers but that probably doesn't count :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nah I'm on Google Fi, which partially uses T-mobile towers but that probably doesn't count :v:

Hey google fi buddy. And yeah, it doesn't count, I checked. I once accidentally used data to stream a game and it cost me like $15 or something.