Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Glad to hear that things are hopefully on the path towards getting better 420

https://twitter.com/Jack_A_Harris/status/1378899777857888258

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Such a nasty collision, oof

Note that when I say nasty i don't mean dirty, the slide was fine

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I assumed he threw his arm out. That’s just freak bad luck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/AntiFashGordon/status/1378893995523379200?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

because baseball is cruel.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I assumed he threw his arm out. That’s just freak bad luck.

You could say that, but another way to look at:

quote:

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
One more way to look at baseball:

The point of this entire enterprise is to entertain us with baseball games. The point of it is not to decide who is the best team. The illusion that that is what we’re doing has long been a powerful draw to sports. But it is ultimately not the point. There is no scenario where the universe will care or remember who the best team was out of this collection of collections. It only matters inasmuch as we create this illusion that it matters. If you lose even the illusion, then it becomes problematic. But the point is not to have the illusion; the point is to entertain people and make them forget that we are all dying right in front of each other — that this is just this horrible, rotten slog to rigor mortis, that we are going to lose everybody we know, that we are going to lose everything we have and the only way to distract ourselves is by separating our day into distractions.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spoeank posted:

The point of this entire enterprise is to entertain us with baseball games. The point of it is not to decide who is the best team. The illusion that that is what we’re doing has long been a powerful draw to sports. But it is ultimately not the point. There is no scenario where the universe will care or remember who the best team was out of this collection of collections. It only matters inasmuch as we create this illusion that it matters. If you lose even the illusion, then it becomes problematic. But the point is not to have the illusion; the point is to entertain people and make them forget that we are all dying right in front of each other — that this is just this horrible, rotten slog to rigor mortis, that we are going to lose everybody we know, that we are going to lose everything we have and the only way to distract ourselves is by separating our day into distractions.

So the giants are gonna be that bad this year?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Glumslinger posted:

Well it is an odd numbered year.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So thats what happens when everything you like betrays you...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I dunno I kind of like that the Mariners had the best team ever and still couldn't win a playoff series

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^^--:argh:

Spoeank posted:

There is no scenario where the universe will care or remember who the best team was out of this collection of collections.

I like that the Mariners even managed to gently caress this part up.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Intruder posted:

I dunno I kind of like that the Mariners had the best team ever and still couldn't win a playoff series

They won the divisional! Just... yeah, not the next one. 20 years later and it still smarts, god I loved that team

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Glumslinger posted:

They just lost a series to the Mariners :smugdog:

Intruder posted:

Grittybeard posted:

^^^--:argh:

I like that the Mariners even managed to gently caress this part up.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 5, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

shirts and skins posted:

They won the divisional! Just... yeah, not the next one. 20 years later and it still smarts, god I loved that team

Only team to never play in The World Series.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Only team to never play in The World Series.

I completely forgot about Rocktober

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Its Rinaldo posted:

You could say that, but another way to look at:

You’re never alone in the fall. Football is there.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pops Mgee posted:

You’re never alone in the fall. Football is there.

Go Cougs :negative:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The Glumslinger posted:

I forgot the quotation marks around it, lol

It's from Effectively Wild, the best baseball podcast

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

I completely forgot about Rocktober
If you believe in momentum that long lull between sweeping the NLCS and Game 1 of the World Series completely killed it for the Rockies

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spoeank posted:

I forgot the quotation marks around it, lol

It's from Effectively Wild, the best baseball podcast

It sounded like a Jeff Sullivan quote

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

It sounded like a Jeff Sullivan quote

It was Sam! But I agree. Sam and Jeff have a lot of parallel brain actions

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Lay off the weed, being a nihilist isn’t cool.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Intruder posted:

It was 2001 and after 911 the Yankees were powered by the combined jingoistic anger of 300 million Americans so the Mariners never had a chance. No I can’t explain how Mo then choked in game 7 of the WS.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lay off the weed, being a nihilist isn’t cool.

Says you!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

:yeah:

Thr quote was in response to someone lamenting that playoffs are too random and the best teams don't make the finals.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Say what you want about nihilism. At least it's an ethos

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

That was the year. It was so fun, but man. Stings.

Only other team to never make a World Series is technically the Expos, but the ‘franchise’ now has of course.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Also effectively wild sells that quote on a mug and it's a fun one to give to visitors

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

harperdc posted:

That was the year. It was so fun, but man. Stings.

Only other team to never make a World Series is technically the Expos, but the ‘franchise’ now has of course.

The usual randomness of postseason baseball makes the whole “we had our World Series Championship stolen!” narrative due to the strike kind of weird but I can understand being mad. Also it was only August they could have choked away the last month who knows.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 5, 2021

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was 2001 and after 911 the Yankees were powered by the combined jingoistic anger of 300 million Americans so the Mariners never had a chance. No I can’t explain how Mo then choked in game 7 of the WS.

the power of luis

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The usual randomness of postseason baseball makes the whole “we had our World Series Championship stolen!” narrative kind of weird but I can understand being mad.

It’s not “we were robbed!!!” to me, it’s “that was the best shot we had.” Record regular season, prime Ichiro, but...lost to the Yankee dynasty.

And yeah weird things happen in postseasons - I think the year the Royals won, they basically sneaked into the playoffs by a game or two over...the Mariners.

To paraphrase a Juventus player dunking on an overrated English team, it’s the history of the Mariners. Just in our nature.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

harperdc posted:

It’s not “we were robbed!!!” to me, it’s “that was the best shot we had.” Record regular season, prime Ichiro, but...lost to the Yankee dynasty.

And yeah weird things happen in postseasons - I think the year the Royals won, they basically sneaked into the playoffs by a game or two over...the Mariners.

To paraphrase a Juventus player dunking on an overrated English team, it’s the history of the Mariners. Just in our nature.

Yeah I wasn’t clear I was referring to fans of the 94 Expos not the 2001 Mariners.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Can someone who knows more about baseball please explain the miserable existence of the Florida Marlins franchise to me because I find it baffling. Is it some deep level conspiracy to act as a AAAA farm team for the bigger market teams in the league? Because every time they’re good for a year it’s treated as a freak accident and they destroy the team as fast as possible.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can someone who knows more about baseball please explain the miserable existence of the Florida Marlins franchise to me because I find it baffling. Is it some deep level conspiracy to act as a AAAA farm team for the bigger market teams in the league? Because every time they’re good for a year it’s treated as a freak accident and they destroy the team as fast as possible.

It's expensive to be good for a long time

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spoeank posted:

It's expensive to be good for a long time

I can understand that. I can’t understand having two singular playoff appearances which somehow ended in a championship and then immediately stripping the entire team over the following offseasons each time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

JPrime posted:

the chemistry of luis

:v:

But even the events that lead up to the walkoff were a whole shitstorm in and of themselves

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can understand that. I can’t understand having two singular playoff appearances which somehow ended in a championship and then immediately stripping the entire team over the following offseasons each time.

Well the first time around stemmed from a desire to sell the team and cutting payroll to the bare minimum to facilitate it

You could watch this if you so desired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOtndaStzo

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 5, 2021

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Edit: nm

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Spoeank posted:

Eat Arby's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Let me expand on it: it's expensive, baseball had no functional salary floor, and the Marlins were run by the MLB equivalent of Dan Snyder to be a piggy bank

And now they’re run by *checks notes* 2014 All Star Game participant Derek Jeter.