Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ruffian Price posted:

yeah the real question is are these all FB profiles or just the ones that were consciously created

That tweet was a bit misleadingly worded.
It's not "all facebook accounts have been leaked".

Rather, the original post was "533 million fb phone numbers have been leaked and the cracker is selling them", and that more recent tweet was "All 533 from that leak are now available for free".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sundae posted:

Someone else probably did. :v: Remember the old phone book app you could install on FB to turn it into a Rolodex?

No, I don't. Is there an haveIbeenPwned for numbers?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You had/have to add your phone number to Facebook to use TFA. In the sense that using it for SMS TFA also added it to your profile (but you could hide it). And I think you also need a backup phone number when using authenticator app, so this applies even if you don't use SMS TFA.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Facebook winning that case was correct and the non-insane world outcome. The guy suing facebook was arguing for an interpretation of the law where any device that can both store numbers and dial them (read: every single smartphone in existence) is illegal. The thing the guy was suing about was that someone used his phone number in a facebook account and they sent him 2FA texts.

As interpreted in that case “equipment which has the capacity — (A) to store or produce telephone numbers to be called, using a random or sequential number generator; and (B) to dial such numbers.” means it has to include a RNG or call sequential numbers. Spam calls don't work that way anymore, but the definition of the banned thing has never been changed since 1991

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Facebook deserved to win that case (I cannot believe I am typing that) because that plaintiff’s case was batshit, but it was totally possible to fix the statute without banning all cellphones.

quote:

The phrase could describe the manner in which the telephone numbers are to be called, regardless of how they are stored, produced, or generated.

The Seventh Circuit ruling considers this as possibility ‘D’ and rejects it because no one had advanced this interpretation in the lower courts and because of the presence of a comma.

Hardly dealbreakers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Facetious posted:

No, I don't. Is there an haveIbeenPwned for numbers?

If there is, it's going to just be a static site with "YES" in 72pt impact font.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/David3141593/status/1378466886770434049

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The old joke that an IT security expert only has 2 pieces of technology in his home, a printer and a gun for if the printer makes strange noises..

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

pentyne posted:

The old joke that an IT security expert only has 2 pieces of technology in his home, a printer and a gun for if the printer makes strange noises..

My wife and I are house hunting right now and neither her nor the real estate agent believe me when I say we should be suspicious of any ring doorbell.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you say that but I know multiple computer touchers that have IoT stuff.

techbro flavoraid is strong stuff.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

There is an indescribable amount of distance between computer toucher and security expert

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's also questions of risk tolerance. They may be aware that something like Ring is a garbage heap sledding down a hill of burning turds, but think that it's still worth it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Well, having all your data stolen is bad, but it's nothing compared to seeing a black person walking their dog!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

packetmantis posted:

Well, having all your data stolen is bad, but it's nothing compared to seeing a black person walking their dog!

If our data gets stolen enough will the data bubble burst?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

If our data gets stolen enough will the data bubble burst?

I'm sorry, but your data is too big to fail. We'll need you to make more of it so we can give it to Facebook to bail them out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pentyne posted:

Not an expert on security but I work in IT and I am more technophobic now than 20 years ago. Our TV is just a TV. No IoT stuff, don't even use streaming services.

Kinda starting to turn into a luddite, really. Only exception is medical science, that's 100% good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not an expert on security but I work in IT and I am more technophobic now than 20 years ago. Our TV is just a TV. No IoT stuff, don't even use streaming services.

I feel the same way. Having worked in IT for over 15 years, I have only become more distrustful of any technology that isn't fully under my control. If it cannot function properly without an always-on connection, I don't want it.

The only real IoT we had in the house was our radiator thermostats, which could be programmed and controlled via ~The Cloud~, something I bought and installed in a moment of weakness ("how much harm can anyone really do with simple control of our heating?").

Those have now been replaced with simpler versions that are standalone and can only be accessed for programming via a temporary BT connection that you have to initiate with a button press on the device itself and a PIN. That is maximum amount of smarts I will tolerate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I feel the same way. Having worked in IT for over 15 years, I have only become more distrustful of any technology that isn't fully under my control. If it cannot function properly without an always-on connection, I don't want it.

The only real IoT we had in the house was our radiator thermostats, which could be programmed and controlled via ~The Cloud~, something I bought and installed in a moment of weakness ("how much harm can anyone really do with simple control of our heating?").

Those have now been replaced with simpler versions that are standalone and can only be accessed for programming via a temporary BT connection that you have to initiate with a button press on the device itself and a PIN. That is maximum amount of smarts I will tolerate.

As a computer toucher who wanted to have home automation I went with Home Assistant and zwave switches/thermostat/sensors. None of it touches the internet. There is no cloud. All the switches work like a switch, the thermostats work like thermostats. They can just be activated by the automation as well. Something goes wrong? Turn off the box running the software. You're left with a fully functional house.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Motronic posted:

As a computer toucher who wanted to have home automation I went with Home Assistant and zwave switches/thermostat/sensors. None of it touches the internet. There is no cloud. All the switches work like a switch, the thermostats work like thermostats. They can just be activated by the automation as well. Something goes wrong? Turn off the box running the software. You're left with a fully functional house.

We did pretty much the same thing - light controls that all go back to being "dumb" bulbs or switches when the internet goes out or some service goes down. Voice controlled lights - particularly with some useful presets that span rooms - are just insanely convenient.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I personally don’t even see the point of home automation, at least for me. I read all of these use cases that people have set up and yeah, it’s cool and all, but I just don’t care. One less goddamn tech thing to janitor in my life.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I personally don’t even see the point of home automation, at least for me. I read all of these use cases that people have set up and yeah, it’s cool and all, but I just don’t care. One less goddamn tech thing to janitor in my life.

There's not a single "need" in my home automation. It's more a halfassed hobby than anything else. You could do most of it with timers and light sensors.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

devmd01 posted:

I have three little automated plugs to turn my plant lights on and off on a timer. That's about it. They don't appear to touch the network except when you're configuring them based on my poking.

None of the rest of it really makes any sense to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wallet posted:

None of the rest of it really makes any sense to me.

Automation can be useful particularly when you get shades, HVAC, etc involved. These aren't necessary or reasonable solutions for an 800 sq foot apartment, so a lot of people just don't have any use cases that make sense.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Don Gato posted:

Google glass was super useful when i would get into fights and have to find out the other guy's power level, I never once got surprised by a saiyan warrior pretending to be a normal human when I had my Google Glass (TM).

so what was his power level?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

devmd01 posted:

I automated a solar collector I built for the shop to reduce the amount of electric heating needed, but this was just putting together a thermostat and a power source. Nothing high-tech.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Google v Oracle :toot:

Reimplementing someone else's API is fair use. Only took 11 years and hundreds of millions of dollars :911:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Could have been potentially disastrous had the court decided otherwise. gently caress Oracle.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

Automation can be useful particularly when you get shades, HVAC, etc involved. These aren't necessary or reasonable solutions for an 800 sq foot apartment, so a lot of people just don't have any use cases that make sense.

Yeah, it's a 1200 sq ft. condo which is basically half of a house build in ~1900. It's all mini-splits but they don't have any networking stuff despite being new. Based on my conversations with energy auditors most performant way to use them in test houses was basically to set a reasonable temperature and leave them the gently caress alone. :shrug:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

devmd01 posted:

You probably have lots of automation in your home. Thermostats, garage door openers, dishwashers, and even self-closing spring hinges are “home automation” in some sense. It’s just that when a particular piece of automation is really useful and relatively cheap, it stops being “home automation technology” and starts being part of the baseline for what we expect in a home.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Gopher posted:

You probably have lots of automation in your home. Thermostats, garage door openers, dishwashers, and even self-closing spring hinges are “home automation” in some sense. It’s just that when a particular piece of automation is really useful and relatively cheap, it stops being “home automation technology” and starts being part of the baseline for what we expect in a home.

Home automation usually refers to internet-connected "IoT" devices, not offline thermostats.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Space Gopher posted:

I just need the Pee Wee Herman breakfast making machine from his movie.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Foxfire_ posted:

Google v Oracle :toot:

Reimplementing someone else's API is fair use. Only took 11 years and hundreds of millions of dollars :911:

Another example of why the legal system is broken unless you can afford the same size legal department as your opponent.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Is there good synopsis of what would've been affected had the court ruled the other way?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Agents are GO! posted:

Is there good synopsis of what would've been affected had the court ruled the other way?

It would mean that, for code, copyright applies to concept rather than implementation.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Somfin posted:

It would mean that, for code, copyright applies to concept rather than implementation.

Could that mean that Age of Conan game would own the copyright to code dicks?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

MickeyFinn posted:

Could that mean that Age of Conan game would own the copyright to code dicks?

To answer the question posed by this seriously, it'd mean things like ReactOS would be illegal in the US, since it's a reimplementation of the Windows API.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rea posted:

To answer the question posed by this seriously, it'd mean things like ReactOS would be illegal in the US, since it's a reimplementation of the Windows API.

And more importantly, Wine, the Windows API on Linux that is the basis for getting many games to run on Linux. Or even Linux itself, could mean SCO suddenly has a case.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Fame Douglas posted:

And more importantly, Wine, the Windows API on Linux that is the basis for getting many games to run on Linux. Or even Linux itself, could mean SCO suddenly has a case.

poo poo, not just Linux, even, any POSIX-compliant OS (the BSDs, macOS, etc.) would be at risk.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

C Standard API shouldn’t apply because it’s ANSI but did SCO buy the original UNIX APIs too?

E: To be clear I’m not talking about POSIX but the actual OG C language APIs that were invented at Bell Labs and...everything is based on.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In this Year of Our Cerf 51, Facebook is still interviewing on "culture fit".

Surprise, surprise, all the black candidates mysteriously fail, because guess what you get when white interviewers are looking for people who subconsciously "feel like me". A Black recruiter just quit and told all.