Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CODChimera posted:

sometimes you just gotta let the devil in

yeah i eat at arbys

ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Gave some whole peanuts to the local huge murder of crows that run everything in my neighborhood and now they just broke in and are stealing my switch games and making fun of my decor! Do not recommend feeding crows!

ur the crow now dog

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

cumshitter posted:

if you hated the job and needed to do something different i say enjoy a little time off and shake that poo poo off, but if it was office work start hitting up temp agencies and placement firms.

so that is the tricky spot im in....this was your typical small business nightmare, in a semi-skilled trade. dude hired me on-the-spot right before i turned 21 and i was a laboring grunt until i went back to school the end of that summer. turns out his "company" was him, one "foreman" and now me. i learned really quick he was allergic to his own job sites but didn't really give a gently caress, just a college summer job. me and the other guy died every day for 12 hours and sometimes you'd see the "owner." as off as i thought this was, im first gen college student, i had to stick around that summer because it was back to rural misery if I didnt have a job in the city.

then the owner bumped me up to like $15.00/hr and had me take over his office. he had no clue what to do. i ended up being pretty drat good at that. 5 years passed and the company had tripled in sales, about 8 people employed, good stuff. i still wasn't making $20.00/hr because no strictly office people in that biz make that - and strictly office is what i had become. and then in the past year and a half I started to truly realize he was allergic to the "white collar" side of his little business TOO. so basically a ton of the anxiety and stress of being a "small business owner" was just getting downloaded into my brain. to try and fight this i streamlined everything that was ~strictly office work~ into exactly a 32 hour work week. one week a month i'd work overtime and get ahead. he didn't like this, tensions arose, things melted down when he sent another employee to bang on my door at 7am one morning to "get to work." his first "favor" was to hire me. his second "favor" was having me make his office. he was out of favors to keep me around after that poo poo.

so basically my resume is just a big fuckin' list of all the stuff i did building this company. but im no business major, no accounting major, and im in a dipshit midwest city anyway, so its weird times for me.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im not even drunk and i just typed all that

Xaris posted:

drat I wish I was still a late 20-something.

you'll be surprised how loving fast you go from 'eh its cool im still in my 20s, still young, just on the latter side of the 20s" to suddenly almost mid-30s

that is precisely why i quit.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

20 Blunts posted:

so that is the tricky spot im in....this was your typical small business nightmare, in a semi-skilled trade. dude hired me on-the-spot right before i turned 21 and i was a laboring grunt until i went back to school the end of that summer. turns out his "company" was him, one "foreman" and now me. i learned really quick he was allergic to his own job sites but didn't really give a gently caress, just a college summer job. me and the other guy died every day for 12 hours and sometimes you'd see the "owner." as off as i thought this was, im first gen college student, i had to stick around that summer because it was back to rural misery if I didnt have a job in the city.

then the owner bumped me up to like $15.00/hr and had me take over his office. he had no clue what to do. i ended up being pretty drat good at that. 5 years passed and the company had tripled in sales, about 8 people employed, good stuff. i still wasn't making $20.00/hr because no strictly office people in that biz make that - and strictly office is what i had become. and then in the past year and a half I started to truly realize he was allergic to the "white collar" side of his little business TOO. so basically a ton of the anxiety and stress of being a "small business owner" was just getting downloaded into my brain. to try and fight this i streamlined everything that was ~strictly office work~ into exactly a 32 hour work week. one week a month i'd work overtime and get ahead. he didn't like this, tensions arose, things melted down when he sent another employee to bang on my door at 7am one morning to "get to work." his first "favor" was to hire me. his second "favor" was having me make his office. he was out of favors to keep me around after that poo poo.

so basically my resume is just a big fuckin' list of all the stuff i did building this company. but im no business major, no accounting major, and im in a dipshit midwest city anyway, so its weird times for me.

Hopefully your system for his office was super idiosyncratic and behind passwords only you know

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1378966131138985984

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

20 Blunts posted:

im not even drunk and i just typed all that

that is precisely why i quit.
good job

ive been working for the same small biz i was hired out of grad school back in 2013. but i also get a way with a ton of poo poo and paid decently so whatever, although i really dont want to live in america forever so i keep telling myself one of these days im going to move to an earthquake-prone country with geotech hazards like new zealand or something and gtfo but it's not easy to get an overseas job

the time sure as gently caress does fly once you're out of college, god drat. its hard to believe id held the same job for 8 years now.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

drat I wish I was still a late 20-something.

you'll be surprised how loving fast you go from 'eh its cool im still in my 20s, still young, just on the latter side of the 20s" to suddenly almost mid-30s

:negative:

tm,arp

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rah! posted:

:negative:

tm,arp

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just measure your years in trumps. I'm not even half a trump years old. trump!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Gringostar posted:

democrats have turned baseball gay
https://i.imgur.com/t3EF3nn.mp4

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

Just measure your years in trumps. I'm not even half a trump years old. trump!
the fact im almost half a trump old is hosed upo imo

im actually not stressed about getting midlife or whatever (hell i basically am midlife since i doubt i'm gunna make it to 70), whatever, poo poo happens i didn't even ask to live in hellworld. it's more just depressing how little progress or lack feeling of... satisfaction?/fullfilment?/progres? that ive had to date with no real light in the distance ahead to lust after. It probably would have been nice to live in a timeline where everything wasn't so alienated and i could take more pride in poo poo with a community i care about but i do not and housing is out of reach and everything sucks.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:11 on Apr 5, 2021

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

you not seen that before? its part of the trump musical collection

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Every kind of rice is a piece of poo poo compared to basmati

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
that's true, basmati is pro-tier. however, you cannot make mango sticky rice with basmati. you need a sweet gellatinous rice for that. i've gotten reasonably good at making mango sticky rice with a steamer basket for my instantpot.

also you can't make innari with basmati

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

even before its cooked it smells so good

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/K347vLg.mp4

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/WYR_bot/status/1378969463043846151

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hmmm, okay glutinous rice may have some niche utility basmati does not BUT as rice itself, still clearly inferior

Man I really miss my zoji but I just cannot justify spending 5x what my current rice cooker cost when it works perfectly fine

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

this is the best drum n bass track I’ve ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5LYim2IUwg

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

Hmmm, okay glutinous rice may have some niche utility basmati does not BUT as rice itself, still clearly inferior

Man I really miss my zoji but I just cannot justify spending 5x what my current rice cooker cost when it works perfectly fine

honestly ive never really found a use-case for a dedicated rice cooker; i had a cheap zoji back in college and i didnt find it helped. most of my basmati rice gets cooked in a stovetop pot (and ive perfected the method, a little capful of rice wine vinegar to cut the starch to keep it fluffy, small bit of butter, a dash of salt, and cumin seeds; and then cover with tin foil with a lid ontop because just a lid alone doesnt have a good seal). brown rice i do the method of overfill with water and then drain method.

i have an instantpot w/ steamer basket if i need to do steamed rice or sometimes brown/black rice.

alton brown may be a chud but he's right about unitaskers. unitaskers are the sole domain of mush-brained mcmansion boomers with far too much money, space, and senses. although i will fight him on a garlic press

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:27 on Apr 5, 2021

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

on a more commercial take, you can really hear the beginnings sigmas more pop dnb sound in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pDKGeNjSXk

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D84jLUVl-ZI

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

take me back to mid 2000s maybe thnx

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

hong kong seems pretty dope. id like to go there

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

eat poo poo rice bitch

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Virgil Vox posted:

this is the best drum n bass track I’ve ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5LYim2IUwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDRNYUucKvA

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Virgil Vox posted:

take me back to mid 2000s maybe thnx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSjvK-TO-yY

This channel is an absolute goldmine btw

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
im loving the mocking tone of the last q episode.

*spends several minutes slowly zooming out of a very bad photo of a person youre about to interview*

narrator: here is how he chose to be interviewed for reasons of anonymity

CGI bug: i wanted to awaken the consciousness of the people

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

rice is nice but it's just a grain

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

20 Blunts posted:

Something strikingly similar happened to me until I had a kid. Then I realized that working 6 days a week making chump change on a dead end job running someone else's business while trying to be be a father and a partner was going to leave me an unrecognizable husk of a man pretty drat quick so I did like you and sent in a gently caress you and bailed.

It was terrifying but ultimately the best decision I ever made. The good news is you have probably gained a lot of marketable skills and while it can be intimidating to try to put it all on a resume at the end of the day game recognizes game. If you have your poo poo together and are a decent human being then decent employers will recognize that. The job market honestly isn't all that bad in many areas (compared to 2008) and a lot of companies are freeing up opex that they had been sitting on all of 2020 when covid hiring freezes went into place.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

check check check check check

yo I once found almost the entire good looking records catalog on 12” singles at a zias in Phoenix. it was like 400$ and the cashier was like wtf but so many great tunes.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSjvK-TO-yY

This channel is an absolute goldmine btw

yes it is I listen to this at work a lot

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

cumshitter posted:

eat poo poo rice bitch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Something strikingly similar happened to me until I had a kid. Then I realized that working 6 days a week making chump change on a dead end job running someone else's business while trying to be be a father and a partner was going to leave me an unrecognizable husk of a man pretty drat quick so I did like you and sent in a gently caress you and bailed.

It was terrifying but ultimately the best decision I ever made. The good news is you have probably gained a lot of marketable skills and while it can be intimidating to try to put it all on a resume at the end of the day game recognizes game. If you have your poo poo together and are a decent human being then decent employers will recognize that. The job market honestly isn't all that bad in many areas (compared to 2008) and a lot of companies are freeing up opex that they had been sitting on all of 2020 when covid hiring freezes went into place.

how did you end up going from florida into canada anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Epic High Five posted:

That's not a joke.