Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You'd probably be better off with a Skeleton. Their intrinsic ability to regenerate from all blunt damage gives them a ton of survivability that other player races don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
and you don't have to worry about being eaten by the various things that want to eat meatbags

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Aren't skeletons kind of disappointing at higher levels, when the lack of defensive equipment starts to catch up with them? Last time I played I remember my robot buddies owning face for the first 75%, but I started hitting scenarios later on where they were consistently taking more and harder head & body hits than my human/shek guys.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Once you're fully kitted out in Masterwork equipment and have mastered manually dancing around your single character to avoid attacks, that somewhat ceases to be factor. Boots and gloves don't make that much of a difference and helmets primarily exist to provide environmental resistances anyway. The fact that you won't have anyone to drag you out of the line of fire or patch you up when your character is unable to do so himself anymore will matter a lot more in a solo game and that's better handled by simply being heavily resistant to an entire damage type from the get-go.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I've played a lot like this, and the race you really want is Shek. The most important factor is how long you can last in a 1 vs. many fight before getting knocked unconscious. Skeletons get conked in the head really hard way too often without the helmet slot, even with 200 HP to work with. Hive soldiers are the same way, and princes and drones are just disastrous with their lesser HP. Shek have all of the armor slots and extra HP, making them ideal for this playstyle.

Also as an aside, racial combat speed bonuses/penalties are for walking speed while fighting, not attack speed. It's not really important at all.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh I thought combat speed referred to attack rate, which sounded like a way bigger deal on account of how the stunlocking and stuff works. Honestly this is making me want to just build a captain planet-style team with one of everything, just to see who murders the hardest in 100 levels.

...and I can already see this going right back to a giant simcity village. Man this game is weirdly engaging.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

All else being equal it's still a major advantage, because it means you can actually run away when things get hairy. It also means you're basically having control of the battlefield positioning.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
If you're actually running around then combat movement speed doesn't apply. It's only how fast your character shuffles around while their weapon is raised.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Agree with timn that the lack of helmet slots ends up being a major downside for Skeletons and more often than not what would take down someone in my robo hoard playthrough was getting domed in the head.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When I played a Skeleton Crew I considered blunt damage to be worse than cutting damage, because cutting damage could be repaired very quickly but blunt damage required me to stand around until it regenerated.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I tried doing a ranged/swordsman run this time around. While my squad was reasonably effective in combat at high levels, the bitter truth reared its ugly head:

It’s still way better to play unarmed combat style where you can one-shot dudes by punching their stomach out of them or kicking their limbs clean off and watch them fly up into the stratosphere.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So is the early game just finding a town, then finding bandits or raptors and training them onto the town guards until you've got a baseline of food and gear?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or mining copper. And don't forget to get beat up a bit by those guys you're training to the guards to build stats.

Getting enslaved helps with both those things

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So is the early game just finding a town, then finding bandits or raptors and training them onto the town guards until you've got a baseline of food and gear?

Food an gear are good, but the big thing is just getting more people in your squad. With one guy you risk getting sent into a coma when you inevitably get your rear end kick, with 2 you can keep one back while the other tries to raise their combat states and come in with a med kit to keep other alive once the fightings done

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's also really easy to bait things into chasing you, so with >1 you can get a fast guy to run off with a dozen things in tow while the rest of your injured squad limps to somewhere safer

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The last game I started was the one with the dog companion, which I found really satisfying. Even a low level lovely dog can actually put out some real damage (although they can't dodge or block so they take plenty too), which allowed for a more combat oriented start.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

litany of gulps posted:

The last game I started was the one with the dog companion, which I found really satisfying. Even a low level lovely dog can actually put out some real damage (although they can't dodge or block so they take plenty too), which allowed for a more combat oriented start.

Yeah I started with the doggy and named him after my actual dog ("Snuff") and together we mugged the poo poo out of a lone dude labeled "tengu" and took his clothes and then we trained a bunch of raptors onto town guards and fed him up. Now we aren't starving any more but I gotta figure out how to treat my arm which is slowly getting worse!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Get some bandages and turn on the medic job. Or if its all gray damage go rent a bed at an inn in town and sleep for a while

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Azhais posted:

Get some bandages and turn on the medic job. Or if its all gray damage go rent a bed at an inn in town and sleep for a while

yeah i tried click dragging the bandages onto the arm and they went POOF so I'm gonna have to train some more things onto the guards for more bandages money it looks like.

Are there crafting stages out in the world I can just use or do I have to build those myself first? Can I use any bed I can find?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you're playing a Skeleton crew, taking the time to make your way to World's End is a good idea. They've got free Skeleton repair beds there and it's basically at the meeting point between three very different zones that all have useful stuff and relatively easy-to-handle enemies in them. Skeletons particularly benefit from this because the main enemy of one of these zones is cannibals, who wear little armor and as such are fairly easy to beat up but who would try to carry off and eat any meatbag characters that get knocked out. Robots, obviously, are not on the menu.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

yeah i tried click dragging the bandages onto the arm and they went POOF so I'm gonna have to train some more things onto the guards for more bandages money it looks like.

Are there crafting stages out in the world I can just use or do I have to build those myself first? Can I use any bed I can find?

You probably just dropped them on the ground.

To use bandages, select a character holding them and right click on the injured person (which could be themselves). Your cursor will turn into a green plus sign to indicate that the character is in need of healing.

For crafting, you'll have to build a workbench somewhere. In most towns there will be a building you can buy, which will let you do research and crafting in a safe zone.

edit: skeletons can't heal with bandages/first aid kits b/c they have no fleshy bits, instead they need skeleton repair kits which are fairly pricey.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 5, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

If you just shift-click the medic button that character will get "medic" as a job and will automatically heal anyone that needs it as long as they have bandages in their inventory. Or do as Tarezax said if you want to do that manually, tho I personally like having a dedicated medic or two in my squad so their skill goes up as much as possible.

I can't recall any public crafting benches (tho there might be some in ruins? idk), I always built my own in my in-town houses or personal outposts.

Most beds will be owned, but the ones in the inn can be rented for like 100c. I'd recommend buying one of the cheap little rectangle houses in town someplace and building your own bed at some point just to have a starter base of operations where you can sleep, store some stuff, and set up a basic research bench so you can research the stuff you want for your outpost

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I really like the great desert for early game. The desert makes it very easy to spot groups. You can fight escaped slaves and small groups of vagrants, upgrade into killing rebel farmers, then finally gently caress up manhunters. Skimmers attack stoat on the reg so you have plenty of food and you can sell their teeth for decent cash. You can also sell slaves for 600 a pop which is easy money plus strength from carrying them. Once you get going you can buy a building in stoat for researching and training. At that point I have enough people to send out a few recruits to get their asses kicked with a couple bodyguards to mop up whatever is left and heal/carry them.

Also I always seem to get super loving lucky when I start a game. Normally not long after starting a game I get to be in town during an ally cascade. Some fucker gets downed at the gate by a skimmer or a goat or something, a slave trader tries to slave them, their faction tries to protect them, the slavers attack them, then their allies attack the slavers, the traders guild start scrapping, then at some point the guards get involved and not long after there are caravan animals with 10s of thousands of cats worth of loot in their packs for the taking with quality weapons and food for weeks. Is it cheap to take advantage of this? Maybe. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:agreed: though when I did a great desert start I had to reload several times because I kept succumbing to a one-hit KO and bleedout from the grasshoppers

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
wait, how do I buy house in town?

I've just been training animal packs onto town guards for skins, selling the skins, and saving for a big backpack.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Haha paying money for things. Those prices are suggestions, just hide in the corner while they lock up for the night and all those dustwiches and backpacks are free.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've just been training animal packs onto town guards for skins, selling the skins, and saving for a big backpack.
Just click on it, if it's a valid target for purchasing, there will be a button that allows you do so in the details window. Some purchasable buildings are ruined and might need to be rebuilt before you can use them, but I think they're usually also a lot cheaper.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

If you click on some of the buildings in town they'll have a buy price. Especially the broken down ones. In holy nation towns it's mostly the small rectangles. Shek towns have more options, everything in the hub basically is purchasable. A lot of the sundry outposts (tech hunters etc) also have the small buildings

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Hub is also kind of a dump with none of the services that usually make living in towns worth it, so I recommend going somewhere else. Nearly every settlement has at least one or two buildings on sale.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Azhais posted:

If you click on some of the buildings in town they'll have a buy price. Especially the broken down ones. In holy nation towns it's mostly the small rectangles. Shek towns have more options, everything in the hub basically is purchasable. A lot of the sundry outposts (tech hunters etc) also have the small buildings

ahhh

Somehow I'm in Holy Nation area but I might run over to Hub instead it seems to be popular with the kids

Cardiovorax posted:

The Hub is also kind of a dump with none of the services that usually make living in towns worth it, so I recommend going somewhere else. Nearly every settlement has at least one or two buildings on sale.

edit: or not

where's everyone's favorite town

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Heng. It's centralish for early game stuff and has a decent selection. But mostly so that when I decide to massacre the Trader's Guild I don't have to walk very far.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've always been a fan of Squin for starter stuff. The shek don't care about race really unlike the HN so you can do whatever you want with your squad. Good mix of services. Pretty central to the swamp and hive, near the hub. Mostly hungry and dust bandits.

I just find it a decent place to get your feet under you and get some research done and there's reasonable places nearby for an outpost.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Mongrel because of beep and fog friends :angel:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tho I wouldn't make that trip til you can run at like 20

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I don't like Squin, the cliffs mess with your camera something fierce and it only has a single engineering store compared to most other places with two. Also sheks are poopy stinky fart faces and call me smooth skin all the time.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

The one I build myself. :smug:

Bonus limbs drawer:

McSlaughter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 5, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I usually make a break for World's End, but if that's too far for you then Squin or Bad Teeth are also decent options. The latter makes you deal with Holy Nation, but if you don't have any non-humans, having to pay no taxes as long as you don't skip Prayer Day is a good deal in the early game. You can make up for it later and destroy a few of their towns or something.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Stoat. It has some of the best options for buying buildings and it's in the great desert which I already mentioned owns bones. Just watch out for skimmer bois.

Also if you are running from Holy Nation territory I advise going through Okran's Valley and Bast instead of the shorter looking route through Skimsands.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 5, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Black Scratch.

It's got everything you need, in the most interesting corner of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Protip for if you are building a base and want your guys to be able to ingress over bad or treacherous terrain in and around your base while not having to travel (accidentally due to pathfinding or otherwise) outside your walls where bandit, beast, and carrion bird frequent: you can build a wall up the side of an incline with a little creative pathfinding trickery (read: sometimes painstakingly constructing and deconstructing until you get it right) and then place ramps at the bottom and top of the slope to allow your people to go up and down without worrying about walking out of their base.

Pictured below: