Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Erdogan is about to have the biggest sad ever.
https://twitter.com/ekathimerini/status/1373354272855883788

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
didn't congress already basically do that? most maps already have the us as recognizing it

not that it'll change anything on the ground ...

https://twitter.com/StateDeptSpox/status/1366565916339826691

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 21, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Speaking of my idiotic adoptive home, Erdogan withdrew from the Istanbul convention. Probably a bad sign for women's rights here.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Speaking of my idiotic adoptive home, Erdogan withdrew from the Istanbul convention. Probably a bad sign for women's rights here.

Reading about it the whole thing sounds like a nice conservative populist trial balloon for testing how easy the president can overrule the parliament. So even if it is somehow turned down it is still nice red meat for his base.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I thought they already had withdrawn from it, maybe I was thinking about some other convention about women's right?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rincewinds posted:

I thought they already had withdrawn from it, maybe I was thinking about some other convention about women's right?

Not sure they have withdrawn from any conventions, but the government has made the international news occasionally in the last few years for at least a handful of pretty striking laws proposed (or enacted) that backtrack on women's rights. The most notable recent one I can think of is their "Marry Your Rape Victim, Get Your Crime Forgiven" law from right before COVID: https://www.freedomunited.org/news/outrage-as-government-in-turkey-proposes-marry-your-rapist-law/

It's especially striking regionally because in the past 10-15 years quite a number of previous Turkish colonial territories have enacted laws removing the "marry your rapist" laws, and generally have been expanding women's rights. Turkey was definitely more progressive for women's rights than its old dominions until recently, except for maybe Tunisia, but that's really gone for a consistent, gradual reversal over the past 10-15 years.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Vasukhani posted:

didn't congress already basically do that? most maps already have the us as recognizing it

not that it'll change anything on the ground ...

https://twitter.com/StateDeptSpox/status/1366565916339826691

Yeah the us technically recognized it after we got mad they bought some s-400s from russia, which deserves a colossal loving asterisk, imo. THe us moving to recognize the armenian genocide in a way that isn't transparently just a 'gently caress you' in a spat over a few missile launchers would be really drat nice.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah the us technically recognized it after we got mad they bought some s-400s from russia, which deserves a colossal loving asterisk, imo. THe us moving to recognize the armenian genocide in a way that isn't transparently just a 'gently caress you' in a spat over a few missile launchers would be really drat nice.

Eh, genocide recognition is always political by definition, just look at the lack of recognition for the Circassian genocide for that. It's actually pretty strange that we now have these games where states go around offering their official interpretation of history. It sort of implies that unless states recognize everything, they actually condone something

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 21, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/ap/status/1374009962729508864?s=21

lol, owned.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I wonder if the Houthis will accept?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lmfao

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
salman bin hatchet has discovered the limits of close quarter combat rear end

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Rejected

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/1374019892198969354

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nenonen posted:

My guess is that they'll accept negotiating for a ceasefire, all the while continuing their offensive and threatening to cut off negotiations if the Saudis respond.

edit:
or just reject it, I suppose...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wrecked

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Terms were entirely poo poo phrased in pleasant language. "Please let the UN, who already recognizes our puppets as the legitimate government and is acting as a defacto American occupying army in Haiti control your fate."
Also nothing stated about the dramatically tightened blockade.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What is the endgame for the Saudis here? It has been proven that they are unable to defeat the Houthis and eventually the Houthis will figure out ways to consistently hurt the Saudis the longer this war drags on. And for what gain for Saudi Arabia? There is nothing in Yemen for them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Flayer posted:

There is nothing in Yemen for them.

There's still people, kind of seems like Saudi Arabia might just settle for all the people there being dead. They'll probably fail at that, still gonna mean a lot of Yemenis dying.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's part of the great proxy war between KSA and Iran, just like in Syria. The endgame is the end of either the Kingdom or the Islamic Republic, I guess?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The saudis requested the houthis lay down all arms, allow the saudi backed government to slaughter everyone, and ensure the population is kept starving to death until the country is nothing but emptiness and resource extraction.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I need to read more on this, but my first inclination is that this is a pr ceasefire. Though it might just be the biden admin's apparently deadset opposition to KSA's war in yemen paying off

E: appears to be connected mostly to biden withdrawing support, also it appears KSA made sure to bomb a yemeni grain port yesterday, too, which is quite a move in a country currently facing an absolutely massive famine. I'm curious how the houthis will respond because they don't have a lot of reason to actually agree to a ceasefire, though they and every other yemeni obviously needs the blockade lifted ASAP.

E2:

There's a lot between the lines here:

quote:

Whether the Houthis accept the Saudi proposal remains in question. On Friday, Houthi leader Mohammed Ali al-Houthi proposed a nationwide cease-fire contingent upon Saudi Arabia reopening Sanaa’s airport to commercial flights and lifting restrictions on cargo shipments to Hodeida. The port handles most of the country’s vital imports. Both are long-standing demands of the Houthis, who swept into Sanaa from their northwestern strongholds in September 2014.

“There is nothing new about the Saudi initiative,” another senior Houthi official told the AP on condition of anonymity in line with regulations. “First, the airport and the port must both be opened.”

Prince Faisal criticized the Houthis for making “only more and more demands.”

https://apnews.com/article/saudi-arabia-cease-fire-plan-yemen-rebels-5bb3778d54227f77beea2bd017cd7554

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 23, 2021

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Nobody even mentioned this yet.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1374500457393967111

If the canal stays shut for a week, what'll that do to, well...everything?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Spacewolf posted:

Nobody even mentioned this yet.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1374500457393967111

If the canal stays shut for a week, what'll that do to, well...everything?

It'll mean even FEWER semi conductors make it to the US?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

It'll mean even FEWER semi conductors make it to the US?

The production of semiconductors is mostly in Taiwan/Japan/Singapore/China/the US/Malaysia (in that order of production). That stuff either goes across the Pacific or stays regional until assembled into something.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 24, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Warbadger posted:

The production of semiconductors is mostly in Taiwan/Japan/Singapore/China/the US/Malaysia (in that order of production). That stuff either goes across the Pacific or stays regional until assembled into something.

Apparently that ship was sailing from Shenzhen so :rip: GPUs for EU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently that ship was sailing from Shenzhen so :rip: GPUs for EU

Oh yeah, if you're talking Europe then it's gonna suck for semiconductors and drat near everything else.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I mean it sucks for that ship and also every other ship behind it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the backup went from Suez to Gibraltar so lol

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

i say swears online posted:

the backup went from Suez to Gibraltar so lol

And probably in the other direction to the *looks up* strait Bab al-Mandab at the entrance to the Red Sea. I should remember that: great powers are building ports right in that neighborhood.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So, it looks like after a 1900 year history, the last Jews of Yemen have been expelled by the Houthi

quote:

The last remaining three Jewish families in Yemen were deported by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, leaving only a few Jewish seniors in the country, London-based Saudi newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat reported on Sunday.

A total of 13 people from three different Jewish families were expelled from Yemen after years of pressure from the Houthis and as part of a deal to release Levi Salem Marhabi, a Jew whom the Houthis captured nearly six years ago.

"They gave us a choice between staying in the midst of harassment and keeping Salem a prisoner or leaving and having him released," one of them told Asharq Al-Awsat.

"History will remember us as the last of Yemeni Jews who were still clinging to their homeland until the last moment,” they added.

"We had rejected many temptations time and time again, and refused to leave our homeland, but today we are forced."

Marhabi was arrested for helping a Yemeni Jewish family move a rare Torah scroll, claimed by some to be 800 years old, out of the war-torn country.

He languished in his Sanaa prison cell and reportedly suffered different kinds of torture; eventually leaving him partially paralyzed after a stroke.

The Houthi rebels are currently conducting an offensive in the oil- and gas-rich Marib region, as the country teeters on the brink of famine.

It's just sad, you know?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah that loving sucks, and it's a good reminder that while the Saudi war in Yemen is a massive crime against humanity which can't be justified, the Houthis are also pretty awful.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A reminder that the Houthi motto, often displayed on banners and flags, is: "Allah is Greater, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam"

So yeah

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

quote:

London-based Saudi newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat

seem unbiased and definitely credible

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I know what you're thinking and agree... there are very few credible newspapers in London.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sure, point. But there is confirmation from The Times of Israel now.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/as-13-yemeni-jews-leave-pro-iran-region-for-cairo-nations-community-down-to-6

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I watched the parade in its entirety to see how bad my Arabic’s gotten (conclusion: need to hit some flashcards :lol:) and because I’m an big time Egyptology nerd. The newish museum looks cool and I guess it’s nice that they restored a bunch of historical sites, but it was very funny how the anchors kept emphasizing how this was all due to the generosity of His Excellency President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Those Arabs and their manufactured genocide claims!!!!

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Flayer posted:

What is the endgame for the Saudis here? It has been proven that they are unable to defeat the Houthis and eventually the Houthis will figure out ways to consistently hurt the Saudis the longer this war drags on. And for what gain for Saudi Arabia? There is nothing in Yemen for them.

They hope the US gets directly involved and takes out the Houthis like they took out the Taliban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

human garbage bag posted:

They hope the US gets directly involved and takes out the Houthis like they took out the Taliban.

Maybe MBS or his cronies thought this at the start. After years of this even they're not stupid enough to think the US will invade Yemen.