Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah the gamers in no way needed to play mw2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

-

Katt fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 5, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

To be fair, that MW2 image has always been out of context, it was taken during like a later free weekend thing, which is still yeah, but it did suck that they started withholding dedicated server stuff for PC with an FPS.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

yeah the gamers in no way needed to play mw2

You obviously weren't around when mw2 came out :smug:

Ariong posted:

That doesn’t really apply to people explicitly saying they are going to boycott something and then blatantly not doing it.

I know, its just the first thing that my brain went to for some reason.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jamie Faith posted:

Never forget lol

This image is funny and all, but the thing about it is that people playing a game are always jettisoned to the front of a group's page. There is 17 pages worth of people here and the first page isn't even filled with people playing MW2, meaning the vast majority of them were not, in fact, playing Modern Warfare 2.

Lucky them because MW2 is not good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Yardbomb posted:

To be fair, that MW2 image has always been out of context, it was taken during like a later free weekend thing, which is still yeah, but it did suck that they started withholding dedicated server stuff for PC with an FPS.

Pfft, like first person shooters even need servers anyway. Just look at Destiny 2, p2p connections and it's perfectly fine and everyone loves it!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I will never forgive Modern Warfare 2 for making me think MechWarrior 2 had an inexplicable and massive resurgence fifteen years after release.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

JordanKai posted:

This image is funny and all, but the thing about it is that people playing a game are always jettisoned to the front of a group's page. There is 17 pages worth of people here and the first page isn't even filled with people playing MW2, meaning the vast majority of them were not, in fact, playing Modern Warfare 2.

the other thing, of course, is that it's real easy to join a public steam group as a goof for a screencap

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

JordanKai posted:

Not to mention, if you look a dozen of those people playing games are on like CS, Borderlands, Football Manager etc. as well.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I'm sorry I just thought it was a funny image lol I didn't mean to start another CoD derail. :negative:

JordanKai posted:

Big disagree, MW2 is my favorite of the series. I love the big dumb Hollywood action movie-style campaign and the multiplayer? I think blowing up the other team in an AC130 killstreak is the most fun I ever had in a video game lol

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 5, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Anyway Jim Sterling did a video about the Sony store fiasco

Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Sony's Games (The Jimquisition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uulMxLyiBZg&ab_channel=JimSterling

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

Anyway Jim Sterling did a video about the Sony store fiasco

Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Sony's Games (The Jimquisition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uulMxLyiBZg&ab_channel=JimSterling

I mean when you cut off all access to get them legally. Then yeah piracy is fine. I am weirdly surprised Sony hasn’t dumped a bunch of remaster”remaster” packs of old exclusives on the store. I guess they hate money. Like Microsoft does that and better.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean when you cut off all access to get them legally. Then yeah piracy is fine. I am weirdly surprised Sony hasn’t dumped a bunch of remaster”remaster” packs of old exclusives on the store. I guess they hate money. Like Microsoft does that and better.

I'm so glad Sterling is doing a video on it. I am so angry over this :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/rubberninja/status/1379079491960594435?s=21

:(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

I'm so glad Sterling is doing a video on it. I am so angry over this :(

yeah. i wouldn't care if i could play "remasters" but like a ton of the exclusives can't be played now outside somewhat on ps now and that kinda blows right now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JordanKai posted:

For some reason people are obsessed with that image to the point where I've had goons get agitated when I've pointed that out. It's bizarre.

Jamie Faith posted:

Big disagree, MW2 is my favorite of the series. I love the big dumb Hollywood action movie-style campaign and the multiplayer? I think blowing up the other team in an AC130 killstreak is the most fun I ever had in a video game lol

:same: MW1 is a bit too dry and MW3 is a joyless retread outside of 1-2 moments. Though I'd rather just go back and play the original CoD and its expansion even moreso.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I mean piracy is always justified if its against the major companies because their games are seriously overpriced and the people who make them are abused and underpaid regardless or how profitable the games are. Even with various profit sharing schemes like the ones gearbox had with borderlands the developers still got cheated out of most of their share.

Katt fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 5, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

John Murdoch posted:

For some reason people are obsessed with that image to the point where I've had goons get agitated when I've pointed that out. It's bizarre.

:same: MW1 is a bit too dry and MW3 is a joyless retread outside of 1-2 moments. Though I'd rather just go back and play the original CoD and its expansion even moreso.

Hell yeah the OG ww2 CoDs still hold up brilliantly and its a real shame when people think of CoD they think of ghosts or black ops 2 and poo poo instead of those. Call of Duty 2 is still the greatest ww2 fps of all time for me. Both the campaign and multiplayer are classics :discourse: I've been meaning to get the PC version and download a bot mod so I can play the multiplayer again :allears: I have such great memories of playing that game's mp during the early days of xbox live. :unsmith: Remember the blades ui?.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 5, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Hell yeah the OG ww2 CoDs still hold up brilliantly and its a real shame when people think of CoD they think of ghosts or black ops 2 and poo poo instead of those. Call of Duty 2 is still the greatest ww2 fps of all time for me. Both the campaign and multiplayer are classics :discourse: I've been meaning to get the PC version and download a bot mod so I can play the multiplayer again :allears: I have such great memories of playing that game's mp during the early days of xbox live. :unsmith: Remember the blades ui?.

yeah. new one is ww2 again apperently. Black ops cold war kinda sucked rear end outside a few moments, so i will wait for sale. i kinda miss the ww2 game like world at war where its not spec ops poo poo and stuff, its you in the trenches and battles and poo poo, its why i liked MW2 a bit because its you fighting Duggan nazibol Russians in the lovely restaurant island next to the highway.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. new one is ww2 again apperently.

It's actually set in the 1950s in a timeline where the war didn't end.

Expect them to "both sides" for the nazis.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. new one is ww2 again apperently. Black ops cold war kinda sucked rear end outside a few moments, so i will wait for sale. i kinda miss the ww2 game like world at war where its not spec ops poo poo and stuff, its you in the trenches and battles and poo poo, its why i liked MW2 a bit because its you fighting Duggan nazibol Russians in the lovely restaurant island next to the highway.

Yeah CoD WW2 was fun and I'm glad SHG is making another one. Also yes the Burgertown level is not only the best MW2 mission, it's my favorite level in the whole series. It's peak CoD. I love what Noah Gervais said about it in his CoD video:

"Remember the burger town may not have the same ring to it as remember the alamo but it feels more true to my experience as an American myself."

I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest thing to "civilization" nearby is just a large patch of restaurants (both fast food and sitdown) and some retail stores that looks nearly identical to the burger town in the game which really makes that level hit harder for me.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I just want the grim fun tone of the original run of Zombies back. Every time they've tried to diverge from it it's gotten way too silly (the movie ones), way too grimdark (WW2) and/or up its own rear end with its story (Ancient Evil, the cyberzombie one, post Revelations OG zombies).

Plus they really just haven't hit the same sweet spot for characters like they did for Richtofen and co.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Semi-crossposting from the SCOTUS thread: Google won it's big case vs Oracle and it was ruled therein that API reimplementation falls under fair use doctrine as a matter of law - which may not sound particularly relevant to this thread - but the ruling opines on the value of fair use in general and here's an interesting take of how that interpretation could actually end up strengthening the fair use doctrine as a whole:

https://twitter.com/charles_duan/status/1379082655455703041

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doug Walker finally won.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Amusing that Google is apparently fighting on the pro-fair use side yet they still copyright strike you on Youtube for using 15-second song clips.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Amusing that Google is apparently fighting on the pro-fair use side yet they still copyright strike you on Youtube for using 15-second song clips.

The case was over the use of code from Java API's to build Android, so Google kinda had to fight that one or they'd end up owing Oracle an insane amount of money.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Google don't really want to copyright strike you for using 15-second song clips, they've just built an incredibly elaborate system for passing the buck on having the MPAA and the RIAA come after you that happens to have that as a side effect.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Nope. They said it’s just WW2 and the person got the alternative timeline wrong. https://charlieintel.com/call-of-duty-2021-everything-we-know/78489/

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah CoD WW2 was fun and I'm glad SHG is making another one. Also yes the Burgertown level is not only the best MW2 mission, it's my favorite level in the whole series. It's peak CoD. I love what Noah Gervais said about it in his CoD video:

"Remember the burger town may not have the same ring to it as remember the alamo but it feels more true to my experience as an American myself."

I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest thing to "civilization" nearby is just a large patch of restaurants (both fast food and sitdown) and some retail stores that looks nearly identical to the burger town in the game which really makes that level hit harder for me.

Yeah. I have worked in stores in places like that and used to eat in places like that. I liked it. I like the mw trilogy way more than I should.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I think google would have prefer if any youtube video could freely use all media without hassle. That would probably be good business for them. Their copyright strike system is just them covering their rear end.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Geez, poor Ross :(

Katt posted:

I think google would have prefer if any youtube video could freely use all media without hassle. That would probably be good business for them. Their copyright strike system is just them covering their rear end.

Yeah, this. The more people on there with more videos, the better for them. And at least YouTube's copyright strike system gives you a chance to fight back, unlike Twitch's

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If I ever met Ross in person I'd buy him a beer or something because god drat that guy has been through a lot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If I ever met Ross in person I'd buy him a beer or something because god drat that guy has been through a lot.

Yeah, Ross is just a good dude in an ocean of poo poo and assholes and he gets all the pollution from it. It’s genuinely sad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jamie Faith posted:

Unfortunately, I downright hated CoD 2. It has a few bright spots, but it really felt like they hadn't figured out the whole regenerating health thing yet. Way too much cover humping followed by enemies throwing eight grenades to flush you out of said cover. A lot of the scripted sequences got entirely too long in the tooth as well. To me, MW1 basically feels like CoD 2 with the kinks worked out.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I want to argue with you but I will admit playing CoD2 on veteran difficulty was the most infuriating experience of my life lol It was even worse than World at War on vet. (AKA Grenades at War :smug: ) On normal difficulty I never had a problem tho

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dementia/Alzheimer's is so loving heartbreaking. Not enough that you know you're in the process of losing a loved one, but you can't even make the best of the time you have left with them because most of the time they don't even remember who you are or that they loved you back. :smith:

Heart goes out to the poor guy, feels like it's just been one miserable slap in the face after another for years for him, and he's done nothing to deserve it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I listened to his dad's song and literally cried. loving hell, poor family.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

Dementia/Alzheimer's is so loving heartbreaking. Not enough that you know you're in the process of losing a loved one, but you can't even make the best of the time you have left with them because most of the time they don't even remember who you are or that they loved you back. :smith:

Heart goes out to the poor guy, feels like it's just been one miserable slap in the face after another for years for him, and he's done nothing to deserve it.

As someone who’s dad had a stroke last year(doing good jus hosed up parts of his reading and words at times) it’s that that kinda poo poo terrifies me, it’s like our brains are so complex and brittle that one missfire somewhere can just break you and rob you of who you are. When my parents go and when I go, I just hope it’s quick and doesn’t hurt anyone.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I would love if TNO was made into an FPS, but nobody would ever do it.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

My dad had cancer. I spent 7 days a week tending to him for the last 3 months of his life. He got covid and at his diagnosis we had our last real honest talk where he was all there. We loved each other more than anyone could imagine. He became "confused" shortly after and spent pretty much the last week of his life cursing me for abandoning/betraying him. Not only that but he also called every single relative and told them I had betrayed him and that I had stolen from him and that I was keeping him locked up and that they needed to come save him. (he was in the covid section and not even I was allowed to visit him) I had taken his car keys for obvious reason. And several of our relatives believed him and do to this day so it pretty much shattered our extended family.

I am in awe over how bad some things can end. Just in awe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linkara looks at an incredibly goofy Star Trek TOS comic for First Contact Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPsoeY7kkUE