Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sharkitten posted:

Would Ed really be that direct about the plot? He's always seemed more of an Open To Interpretation guy to me

He’s been direct about some things and open to interpretation about others. Isaac being dead is direct, what actually happened afterwards is open to the interpretation. Is the afterlife real or is it all his dying dream, different endings support different options (Delirium suggests everything is a dying dream, the chat with god after the Beast suggests he actually did go to heaven). Personally I still prefer the idea that Isaac’s Dad came for him in a custody battle and Isaac lived, even if most parts of the story suggest he left and never looked back after the divorce. I guess I’m a sap like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's now an item called Membership Card that opens a crawlspace in every shop that has super premium items.

Just bought a Dark Bum for 40 cents :getin:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Just beat the final-boss-for-real-we-swear-this-time final boss on my first attempt, and man, that sure did just keep on escalating there at the end, huh?

Also discovering that there are nineteen new characters instead of just two sure was a fun surprise.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Feel kindof bad for complaining about Bethany when J+E manage to be so much worse. It sucks to lose hearts to one of your characters trailing. It sucks to lose runs because the characters got blown in different directions by an explosion and you couldn't sync them up again. It sucks when you go down the hard path to get extra items only to end up with different firing styles on your two characters rendering it very hard to attack effectively with both.

This feels much worse than having Cursed Eye or Isaac's Heart. By far the worst character in the game.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Is it just me or is blood oath not really worth it? I had it crunching six hearts off me each floor for only (I think) 3ish damage. Not sure how you'd really improve it without breaking it though. I think I'm gonna pass on it from now on
It feels like there are two sensible reasons to take blood oath. The first is that you're early in the run and you're planning to throw all your red hearts away for devil deals, in which case you're not giving up too much and you get some nice early damage to get the snowball rolling. The second is that you're Eve or otherwise have Whore of Babylon or similar, in which case red health is a liability.

e: Actually, there's a third reason - it seems like it would be really good if you have some sort of red health regeneration like placenta or charm of the vampire.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 5, 2021

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just my small gripe about the new Repentence loop

The scripted sequence where you complete the knife and have to run from ghost mom as basically a base stat Issac gets really old after like the 5th time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hooray got my first clear on hard. eden, started slow but got ludovico technique and rocket propelled bombs

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This expansion is awesome. Haven't enjoyed a roguelike expansion like this maybe ever. Everything fits, it's just great.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

This expansion is awesome. Haven't enjoyed a roguelike expansion like this maybe ever. Everything fits, it's just great.

To be fair, this is like their third swing at it lol, maybe more than that if you count Wrath of the Lamb and the fact that Rebirth was an expanded remake of the original.

But yeah it's a vast, vast amount of very good content and I really like that it doesn't have the problem previous ones did of adding 20 minutes to your run if you wanted to see new poo poo. I think some balance stuff will continue to be dialed in over time, but overall the nerfs were all pretty reasonable and the difficulty feels about where it should be.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
During my very first run with the new content there were red eyeballs opening and closing around the floor that didn't seem interactable. Haven't seen it since. Anyone know what it might have been?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
How do you avoid / what are you supposed to do against all these "raindrop" attacks. Monstro-style faux-3D attacks were already difficult to judge where they'd land, but my strategy for raindrop torrents is to panic and hope I can kill whatever caused them before they can do it again.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's been a While since I played, can someone post/link me to a quick overview of the different paths you can take through the game?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Just felt the need to say that Dark Arts is the raddest item ever. It turns you invincible for about a second, sets you to 2.00 speed and anything you run through gets stunned and slashed for damage after it ends including bullets and gives you a very short lived damage up, while having a time based recharge.

flatluigi posted:

it's been a While since I played, can someone post/link me to a quick overview of the different paths you can take through the game?

The base game paths are going up/down from mom's heart which is two branches involving the polaroid and the negative from Mom, there's the Hush fight after mom's heart, there's the Repentance path which is an offshoot of pre-womb floors, doing stuff in those floors can lead to an alternative to the Womb the Corpse and doing that unlocks a Strange Door in the depths which is the last branch offshoot. Also after almost any boss mom's foot on wards a portal to the void can spawn for fighting Delirium, who sucks.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 5, 2021

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

To anyone having trouble with alt Maggie: Only the two first red hearts count as "real" red hearts. You can take red heart damage on every faded red heart container past that, and still keep your devil/angel room chance.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

To be fair, this is like their third swing at it lol, maybe more than that if you count Wrath of the Lamb and the fact that Rebirth was an expanded remake of the original.
Kind of depends on how you interpret it; the Antibirth people were probably the main devs on Repentance, so going by that it's only their second swing, and they already landed the first one. Honestly, handing development over to them was probably the best decision in Isaac history.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Carpator Diei posted:

Kind of depends on how you interpret it; the Antibirth people were probably the main devs on Repentance, so going by that it's only their second swing, and they already landed the first one. Honestly, handing development over to them was probably the best decision in Isaac history.

That's fair, yeah. There's a big 4chan "leak" post from a tester that has a lot of inside information on development, and while some of it's a little sketchy (it's definitely from a real tester, but other people who worked on the game said a lot of it's exaggerated) it kind of breaks down who contributed what. Some of the big stuff like the alt characters was all Ed's plan, but apparently his actual designs for them weren't very fun, and the ones that got implemented were almost all from the Antibirth team.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

goferchan posted:

That's fair, yeah. There's a big 4chan "leak" post from a tester that has a lot of inside information on development, and while some of it's a little sketchy (it's definitely from a real tester, but other people who worked on the game said a lot of it's exaggerated) it kind of breaks down who contributed what. Some of the big stuff like the alt characters was all Ed's plan, but apparently his actual designs for them weren't very fun, and the ones that got implemented were almost all from the Antibirth team.

I feel like anyone who played Antibirth has watched the development of Repentance with a raised eyebrow, and certainly more so now that it's evident how much of Antibirth remained untouched. I don't think anyone really wanted to dig deep into that conversation so long as the Antibirth team was compensated appropriately, which I hope they were. Also I paid the 2bux for Mudeth's antibirth soundtrack on bandcamp because it's way better, hoping someone updates the mod that ports in that music.

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
Hi everyone! I have a question for you. So, I accidentally imported my Rebirth saves, overriding a bunch of poo poo I unlocked. Fortunately, I was able to use Alt+F2 method to recover what I assume is almost all of all of it. However, my checkmarcks still think that I have not killed Hush with the keeper, or completed greedier mode with Bethany, although my Keeper has 3 hearts and Bloody Mary challenge is available. Does anyone know how I can fix up my marks?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Alitur posted:

Hi everyone! I have a question for you. So, I accidentally imported my Rebirth saves, overriding a bunch of poo poo I unlocked. Fortunately, I was able to use Alt+F2 method to recover what I assume is almost all of all of it. However, my checkmarcks still think that I have not killed Hush with the keeper, or completed greedier mode with Bethany, although my Keeper has 3 hearts and Bloody Mary challenge is available. Does anyone know how I can fix up my marks?
This post has instructions for fixing that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/mh38hq/repentance_bug_report_thread/gswi4ht/

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
diving back into it with the update and i can only express annoyance at every run w/ lazarus to unlock character seems doomed to get zero damage up items and i inevitably get tired off spending several minutes on a boss and kill myself

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So on my "Try and do some things that might be harder on Repentance before buying it" I decided to try the April Fools challenge and it was awful. Then I decided to complete XXXXXXXL (not sure why I never did it earlier) to unlock Gold Hearts and it turns out that makes the challenge a joke because coins can now be Gold Hearts and as a result when you break a Gold Heart it turns into 5-6 coins which can be hearts as well, making it a joke since you get healed every time you lose a heart even if only a little bit.

That and getting homing tears because even with that gently caress the Bloat.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Sloober posted:

diving back into it with the update and i can only express annoyance at every run w/ lazarus to unlock character seems doomed to get zero damage up items and i inevitably get tired off spending several minutes on a boss and kill myself

that was the second thing i tried after buying rep and it was absolutely miserable (mostly cause i kept going to the alt paths to see new content). The thing is you only need to kill mom's heart so if you feel your run wont clear stuff like the chest dont sweat it cause you dont have to.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm enjoying this so far but some of these new bosses, woof

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. The new floor bosses are conceptually cool but some of them have like 4 different attacks that instantly damage you if you haven't learned the pattern.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
definitely a lot more of 'you reacted 1/4 second too slow and get hurt as a result' stuff in this expansion too

and i'm confident i can do the lazarus challenge unlock but i just get so tired of tediously long bossfights in this game, thats why i dont ever fight delirium anymore. just loving boring

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sloober posted:

It's really hard to quantify how luck changes the game, and I wish they had a mechanic where drops would tip you off that you wouldn't have gotten them at zero luck.

But I think about base Lazarus vs. Cain as the way to value luck. Base Lazarus feels loving awful despite having standard stats other than luck. Just an enormous slog every time. Cain rules, always love doing a Cain run. There's the difference of 2 luck.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That Delirium fix is still on the to-do list!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Took out Hush for (I think) the first time! It's a lot easier when I learned you can stand still to dodge most of the ouroboros tears.

It also helped that I put on Touhou music. :bigdog:

Twice more and I can start dying to the new stuff!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wait, so even if you already beat Hush multiple times you still have to kill him 3 extra times to get to the new stuff?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait, so even if you already beat Hush multiple times you still have to kill him 3 extra times to get to the new stuff?

it was immediately available for me

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Oh cool, I actually also tried doing the "Beat It Lives with Lazarus without dying in hard mode" and was hoping that would keep the related unlock when I buy it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Both the Stairway and missingno. works during the final ascent to Home. 6 guaranteed angel shops and 6 50/50 rolls on item room or I AM ERROR (error room leads to the next floor, no softlocks here)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

There's only one attack I really have a problem with, and that's the final final boss' attack that sucks you in. I've lost two runs to that now - if you don't have high speed it's essentially an instakill, since you can't get away from the fucker and it keeps dealing contact damage.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It wasn't immediately available for me on my mostly-complete save and I had to go beat Hush a few times, but I hadn't played Isaac for a while so there's a lot of steps in the savegame chain that could have messed it up for me. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly - if you beat the first boss and you don't see a door, then you'll need to go take a few laps in the blue room.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I really hate those mini-Pin enemies. There's no indication they're in a room when you enter, and will happily spawn underneath you as you're trying to dodge whatever else is there.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Tear detonator with Bethany is pretty good.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Golden troll bombs are a thing now. :allears:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Goddamn it, I finally had a good Jacob and Esau run going, getting absurd luck with the items. I decided to drop a trinket in one of the boss rooms in case I ended up doing one of the alt-paths... and held R instead of Ctrl.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

On a related note, Jacob and Esau are loving trash and I hate them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Goddamn it, I finally had a good Jacob and Esau run going, getting absurd luck with the items. I decided to drop a trinket in one of the boss rooms in case I ended up doing one of the alt-paths... and held R instead of Ctrl.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

On a related note, Jacob and Esau are loving trash and I hate them.

:hmmyes:

Not fun challenging because the optimal play is keeping them right next to each other so they play like one character with a huge hitbox that you have to think too much about which side of the character picks up each item. And every once in awhile he splits in half and loses 2/3rds of his health because he can't move correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

PostNouveau posted:

:hmmyes:

Not fun challenging because the optimal play is keeping them right next to each other so they play like one character with a huge hitbox that you have to think too much about which side of the character picks up each item. And every once in awhile he splits in half and loses 2/3rds of his health because he can't move correctly.

having tried J&E out a grand total of once my thoughts are as such: if they were actually just a huge hitbox for double the tear output early and the ability to hold multiple trinkets/actives/consumables I think they would be a cool and interesting character.

The fact they can be separated and become impossible to control in an already hectic game just makes them less fun than even pre-buff Lost. Just cause it feels like it's suddenly out of your hands and unfair. I guess Ed really just wanted to make use of the new co-op gameplay in singleplayer somehow real bad.

Speaking of Lost, I just had an absolutely insane run that let me finally beat Mega Satan with Guppy's Collar saving me not just once but twice in the run. The Void portal actually spawned and I figured why the gently caress not? I then died incredibly stupidly to spiked rocks I didn't notice in a non-combat room. :negative: