Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

All the googleFi love owns, I've had it for a year or so and it's wonderful. I just bought a new s21 because of a sale and the combined cost of that + my normal monthly bill is still like 75% of what I was paying verizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
We are like 4 fuckin games into the season can we not with dh stuff

It’s tiring to see one person use this thread as their personal Twitter timeline

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Not getting Othani really hosed over the Yankees so badly because not only get they not get him, they then went out and did that awful Stanton trade.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just went to look for some highlights and mlb.com did a massive overhaul of their video page

it seems....maybe good?

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Not getting Othani really hosed over the Yankees so badly because not only get they not get him, they then went out and did that awful Stanton trade.

I had a friend who is a Cards fan lamenting to me over the weekend how some big names have decided to not play for STL in recent years and one of the names he brought up was Stanton not waiving his trade clause to go there

I thought that was really funny

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

IcePhoenix posted:

I just went to look for some highlights and mlb.com did a massive overhaul of their video page

it seems....maybe good?

I love that it has statcast stuff right there

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

IcePhoenix posted:

it seems....maybe good?

Yeah I noticed the mlb.tv app was updated and it looks slightly less lovely as well. It's still slow as gently caress but I think that's my old rear end Fire Stick struggling to keep up at this point.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Neither of my teams have a single win after the weekend.

Really feeling good here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Johnny Bravo posted:

I had a friend who is a Cards fan lamenting to me over the weekend how some big names have decided to not play for STL in recent years and one of the names he brought up was Stanton not waiving his trade clause to go there

They just got one of the biggest stars in baseball.....

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Johnny Bravo posted:

Goldschmidt re-upped for them and they just got Arenado haha. It's more that the Cardinals don't go after the huge name free agents. They trade and then sign generally.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

mcmagic posted:

They just got one of the biggest stars in baseball.....

Yeah that was pointed out. Along with the fact they were paid 50 million dollars to take him.

His point was some BFIB poo poo though about how guys like Stanton, Ozuna, Heyward and hell even Pujols all turned away from STL and it's not a good look for the org

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My wife and I pay $40-60/month combined with Google Fi. You just need to plan ahead a little to avoid DLing podcasts without wifi and such. The coverage is great and it all works international.

Yeah, if you're careful about using WiFi as much as you can, the cost is so much cheaper and they are so much less of a headache to deal with. Also, international rates are exactly the same, you don't need to do anything when you travel abroad.

They have a plan where it's $20/month plus a charge for the exact data usage, with the caveat that everything you use over 6GB's is free. So it's basically an unlimited plan that never goes over $70 with all the perks you'd have to pay extra for with other providers included, and if you are diligent, you'll be paying monthly bills in the $30-$40 range.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Johnny Bravo posted:

Yeah that was pointed out. Along with the fact they were paid 50 million dollars to take him.

His point was some BFIB poo poo though about how guys like Stanton, Ozuna, Heyward and hell even Pujols all turned away from STL and it's not a good look for the org

Trading for Stanton would have been even worse for them than it was for the Yankees and it's really loving bad for the Yankees.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

Trading for Stanton would have been even worse for them than it was for the Yankees and it's really loving bad for the Yankees.

As much as I loved Pujols and still do, matching that Angels contract also would have been a disaster.

It's nice to not have to watch our lovely fans be mad/angry/racist at an old and bad aging Pujols from 2012-21.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Johnny Bravo posted:

hosed up they missed out on the honor of retiring as Cardinals

Also funny to look at what Pujols and Heyward did on their subsequent contracts and whine about them leaving

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1379118732006588418

Castellanos issued a statement:
"I can't tell you how much I say from the bottom of my heart I'm so very, very sorry. I pride myself and think of myself as a man of faith, as there's a drive into deep left field by me and that'll be a home run. And so that'll make it a 4-0 ballgame."

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how the gently caress does Castellanos get 2 games for celebrating scoring a run but the guy who hit him to put him on base and start the whole thing off gets nothing?

I'm not even a Reds fan but that is some bullshit

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
He is getting two games for being shoved by Molina? Am I missing something?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I still can't believe the Marlins won that trade. I thought it was a slam dunk one for the Yankees.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kirios posted:

I still can't believe the Marlins won that trade. I thought it was a slam duck one for the Yankees.

I called it a bad trade for the Yankees at the time and the entire thread poo poo on me for it lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

He is getting two games for being shoved by Molina? Am I missing something?

He upset Molina, that's at minimum a 2 game suspension.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I hear the Cardinals are also getting another compensatory pick out of the deal.

e. Apparently a couple Cardinals including Molina got fined, but Nick being the only one to eat a suspension is horseshit.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1379120208774787072

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I would love MLB to point out exactly which rule Castellanos broke.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I mean the umpire was right there so I'm assuming he knows exactly what he yelled at Woodford while he was pumping his fists? Maybe he said terrible words?

But yea, probably should have just fined them all imo. He's obviously going to be fired up after getting hit and being mad about it and then scoring on a wild pitch.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I mean the umpire was right there so I'm assuming he knows exactly what he yelled at Woodford while he was pumping his fists? Maybe he said terrible words?

But yea, probably should have just fined them all imo. He's obviously going to be fired up after getting hit and being mad about it and then scoring on a wild pitch.

Please don't allege some dude maybe said 'terrible words' with zero proof

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Popete posted:

I assume it has to do with getting the benches to clear in the age of COVID which is dumb bullshit but that's still my assumption

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Bravo posted:

I assume it has to do with getting the benches to clear in the age of COVID which is dumb bullshit but that's still my assumption

But you would at the very least have to assign half the blame to the pitcher and Molina. Castellanos was walking back to the dugout when they both ran up behind him and grabbed him.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Please don't allege some dude maybe said 'terrible words' with zero proof

lol what? He clearly yelled something at Woodford and I'm almost certain it wasn't something friendly and nice based on the reactions.

MLB has an unsportsmanlike conduct rule, pretty sure standing up, pumping fists, and screaming something directly at an opposing player would fall under that rule. Again, I don't think he should be suspended and the Cardinals (including Yadi grabbing him) definitely are at fault here too, but there are rules. Again, just fine everyone and be done with it. Can't suspend just one guy.

Johnny Bravo posted:

Actually didn't even think of this. I think they did put in some protocols about trying not to get the benches cleared and stuff. Once teams reach 85% vaccination can they brawl without penalty again? :v:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Johnny Bravo posted:

he didn't get the benches to clear, though? after he flexes he's walking back to his dugout when Molina and Woodford both go after him

maybe the Cards should be fined for being such incredibly thin-skinned babies that they can't deal with a guy flexing without wanting to fight him

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Popete posted:

But you would at the very least have to assign half the blame to the pitcher and Molina. Castellanos was walking back to the dugout when they both ran up behind him and grabbed him.

Yeah for sure, I don't disagree. But if Castellanos didn't flex all over them then it would have never happened is likely the dumb way MLB is looking at it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

What's the deal with the 6:40 starts for cubs night games

I assumed it was because there was a sinclair news broadcast from 6:00-6:30 so the ricketts bumped the Cubs to 6:40.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Johnny Bravo posted:

Yeah for sure, I don't disagree. But if Castellanos didn't flex all over them then it would have never happened is likely the dumb way MLB is looking at it

if the Cards hadn't thrown at him it never would have happened either but MLB aren't trying to suspend Woodford or Mike Shildt

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The one thing I do find weird is that everybody just takes for granted that Castellanos was hit on purpose because he pimped a homerun the game before, but when he does get hit Molina visibly flinches and the pitcher isn't like staring Nick down or anything. It's entirely possible one just got away. :shrug:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

You should be able to say and gesture basically however you want except like actual bigotry/hate speech or like actual threats of violence. They're all adults playing a professional sport for crying out loud.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
It's dumb, but it's also super expected. The ump ejected Nick. The league isn't about to publicly disagree with the ump's call. Someone has to be suspended and only one guy got ejected. The wrong guy imo, but once that initial mistake was made this was the only possible result really.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Unlimited substitution to me means that you can take players out of the game and then put them back in, not the DH.

Every other position fields and bats. Treating the pitcher differently is absolutely a form of unlimited substitution.

Connie Mack was an early proponent of the idea and he managed while senile for twenty years.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Every other position fields and bats. Treating the pitcher differently is absolutely a form of unlimited substitution.

The pitcher is already treated differently in a ton of ways.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

The pitcher is already treated differently in a ton of ways.

Still not a justification for permitting unlimited substitution for one position. Either institute split squads and be done with it, or get rid of the inconsistency.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Still not a justification for permitting unlimited substitution for one position. Either institute split squads and be done with it, or get rid of the inconsistency.

It's not unlimited substitution - now you're just using circular logic to define your stupid position. It's just a 10th position that doesn't have to play the field and in the AL the pitcher doesn't have to bat. We get that you hate the DH but you seem awfully ignorant about it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

I still can't believe the Marlins won that trade. I thought it was a slam dunk one for the Yankees.

Everyone loves a huge contract until the player starts to decline. Stanton was pretty young when he signed the extension, but he already had multiple injuries and a body type that doesn't age well. Turns out Jeter was right.

Teams seem to be getting a bit smarter about megacontracts tbh. The Harper, Machado, Betts, Tatis, Lindor etc contracts will have some bad years on the back end, but at least those players were still coming into their prime when they signed, unlike Pujols and Miggy who were already in their 30s.