Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

C-Euro posted:

I assume Stone Ocean is about how much the American carceral system sucks so I'm going to pre-emptively call it a leftist anime (I haven't actually read the manga).

it's the only part of jjba set in florida and it shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hell yeah, one step closer to Steel Ball Run.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Oh poo poo, it's the main girl from How Heavy Are The Dumbbells You Lift? she's good.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I mean yeah sure I guess you have to make Stone Ocean before you can do Steel Ball Run but I still wish they'd just skip straight to Steel Ball Run

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HerraS posted:

I mean yeah sure I guess you have to make Stone Ocean before you can do Steel Ball Run but I still wish they'd just skip straight to Steel Ball Run

if you don’t make Stone Ocean people will keep asking where all their Joestars are and we don’t need that in our race to find the body of Jesus (which is in America)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
There's that moment in Stone Ocean where they figure out how fast the bad guy is moving and Jotaro is like OK we can still beat him, and one of the others is like, "But he's as fast as a bullet train!" and Jotaro says "Exactly. You can see a bullet train coming"

That part is really cool.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HerraS posted:

stone ocean rules and jolyne rules, skipping parts is illegal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I also like the chapter based on Araki having just read an article about Rods, that made up cyrptid that's just smears on photographs, and somehow making it into an insanely good fight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jolyne is the ultimate Florida Woman.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
And of course, it's Florida, so there's a Stand that just makes you want to take your shirt off and fight

You might think I'm making a joke, but that is the actual stated power of the Stand

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
leftist anime

Archibald Tuttle
Jan 10, 2006

I've been rewatching Xam'd lately. Leftist? No idea. Saw it back in the day and wanted to watch it again. Was tough as no one is streaming it and physical copies are 200+ now, but someone uploaded it to Youtube.

Starts with a suicide bombing and goes from there. One of the characters tags along on a postal air ship while the military abuses the trauma of others for war crimes and child soldiers.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you want to watch a new power rangers/tokusatsu/kaiju show, SSSS.Dynazenon by trigger just started this season and in episode one it had all the important elements. Big kaiju, cool big robot powered by a group of people, long complicated robot transformation sequences, cool poses. There's some drama stuff there too but that's not as cool.
Seems like it'll be a love letter to the genre like how SSSS.Gridman was to Ultraman.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nice I really liked SSSS Gridman and it was my first real exposure to Ultraman

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
There's another Tokusatsu series with an even closer connection to SSSS.Gridman than Ultraman.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah but I haven't watched Power Rangers in like 25 years

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I was reminded of Jin-Roh randomly today - does it still hold up? It's probably been over a decade since I watched it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ATP_Power posted:

I was reminded of Jin-Roh randomly today - does it still hold up? It's probably been over a decade since I watched it.

jin roh is still great

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah it's still fantastic

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Yeah but I haven't watched Power Rangers in like 25 years

Then you might enjoy Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger immensely. It's literally tailored for folks who grew up watching Power Ranger-type shows and have affectionate childhood memories of it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Archibald Tuttle posted:

I've been rewatching Xam'd lately. Leftist? No idea. Saw it back in the day and wanted to watch it again. Was tough as no one is streaming it and physical copies are 200+ now, but someone uploaded it to Youtube.

Starts with a suicide bombing and goes from there. One of the characters tags along on a postal air ship while the military abuses the trauma of others for war crimes and child soldiers.

it starts really strong but i can barely remember how it went on so it prob fizzled out, but that op is still great

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jin roh is so good that people keep remaking it and completely loving it up

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jin roh is so good that people keep remaking it and completely loving it up

ah, the perfect blue problem

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
jesus AoT's ending is underwhelming, probably GoT s8 bad or Lost lol

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
drat a manga written by a guy who denies the nanking massacre + the existence of 'comfort women' isnt good?? cant believe it

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Honest Thief posted:

jesus AoT's ending is underwhelming, probably GoT s8 bad or Lost lol

Spoil it for me

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
80% of humanity was killed, but titans are no more so eldians can be citizens now, eren did it because now theres not enough people to start a war? ymir actually totally loved king fritz and the worm is never heard of again so it got killed by the headlock and eren never scored

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i'm hype

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gundam Narrative is revisionism.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lostconfused posted:

Gundam Narrative is revisionism.
yeah, it revised the notion that a "Narrative" has to be coherent.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

uc next is bullshit i hope hathaway blows up banagher in his movie.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

it starts really strong but i can barely remember how it went on so it prob fizzled out, but that op is still great

Yeah, a couple of the side characters and villians have satisfying conclusions, but it mainly fizzled out.

It has a second secret op that's also pretty amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaxUqFJ3JT4

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
narrative just makes explicit that your giant robot is powered by the souls of your dead girlfriends. like as exposition.

also, it's just Unicorn DLC, disregard, hathaway probably won't even bring it up. also hathaway gonna lose because Quess was not his girlfriend and thought he was a loser, so her soul won't be powering the Xi Gundam.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah it just doubled down on all the worst parts of newtype magic.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

drat a manga written by a guy who denies the nanking massacre + the existence of 'comfort women' isnt good?? cant believe it

do you have a source on this? because the most I've ever found is him naming a side character after a war criminal and being embarrassed about it

and then lot of projecting a really weak reading of the themes onto what the author clearly must believe to have written what they imagine he did

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The lack of newtype magic is part of why thunderbolt rocked for me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, it revised the notion that a "Narrative" has to be coherent.

Gundam Narrative has a really good story. It's just told in a jaw-droppingly incompetent way.

Michele did what it took to survive and keep her friends safe only to end up feeling like she has betrayed both of her adoptive families. So she uses all of the resources she can get to go on this insane quest to end death because she thinks it's the only way she can make it up to them. Only to discover that she didn't have to, they always loved her. That's the story of Gundam Narratibe, and it's really good

But then they decided to edit it with a weedwhacker. And I'm not just talking about how long flashbacks interrupt action scenes seemingly at random. There's also the movie's tendency to flashback and set up an emotional arc literally seconds before it's concluded. You're just watching characters whose relationship you don't understand for 45 minutes until they do a flashback explaining their relationship and then instantly conclude it and kill one of them. It's so loving bad.

If someone just recut the movie so the scenes happened in chronological order it would be massively better.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Gantz is fascist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

uc next is bullshit i hope hathaway blows up banagher in his movie.
unsatisfied with murdering Chan, the younger Noa continues his deadly spree

Gripweed posted:

Gundam Narrative has a really good story. It's just told in a jaw-droppingly incompetent way.
you just described a bad story, friend