Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ASAPI posted:

Saw this recently:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...sh=36b99f1058a3

Turns out the Trump campaign accounts for 3% of all credit card transaction disputes in the nation. The campaign also had to refund $122 mil due to pre-checked recurring donation boxes.

I respect his dedication to being a grift elemental that's for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Supreme Court telling Laura Loomer to go gently caress herself:

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1379076128372101122?s=19

Justice Thomas, to nobody in particular, yelling UNBAN HER YOU COWARDS MODERATION IS ILLEGAL, with literally nobody else on the court joining him:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1379065122858147843?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 5, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/TOLOnews/status/1379077223483858949?s=19

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Sacrist65 posted:

Endless capital in the hands of like 500 people isn't a problem, just think of the all off the efficiencies the economies of scale could provide.

Edit- This is the kid that would toss his lunch on the floor and say the janitor should thank him for providing job security

It would certainly make the job of hanging all the landlords easier when the time came.

Semi-related, my brother is really looking into real estate investing and if there was any way to convince him otherwise outside of sending him all the “landlords are poo poo” memes i can find, I’m all ears.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 5, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dude is 68 right now, it’s gonna be amazing when he dies.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It can be a pretty rational financial decision, depending on the details of how leveraged you are. The biggest financial argument against it is the risk of a housing market crash, which goes double if you are also worrying about your own home. If that's a risk you can afford to take, well, there's a reason the system incentivizes it so strongly and so much investment money pours in to real estate. I don't think ideological arguments will hold sway nor will his non-participation in the system change anything. I personally wouldn't want to be a landlord for in part ideological reasons myself but I mean that's not going to mean anything to like 99% of people.

Edit: that said my own brother absolutely wrecked himself by getting in to house flipping right at 2007 when he still had a mortgage on his own house. So don't do that (see point about leverage, above). Real estate is effectively a high risk high reward investment in lots of (most?) markets.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 5, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

FrozenVent posted:

Russia's gonna have president Mecha-Putin in forty years.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FrozenVent posted:

I hate to pay him any compliments but he at least hasn't aged like the typical russian guy

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The time to get into real estate is usually six months before everyone thinks about getting into real estate. The same generally goes for stocks, bonds, investments, crypto, NFTs, and pet rocks.

Real estate probably has less exposure to a market crash, since COVID didn't much affect rich fucks and there's very low inventory. But getting into real estate now is buying high, in hope of it selling higher later. Seems to run counter to "buy low, sell high" to get into real estate right now.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

facialimpediment posted:

The time to get into real estate is usually six months before everyone thinks about getting into real estate. The same generally goes for stocks, bonds, investments, crypto, NFTs, and pet rocks.

Real estate probably has less exposure to a market crash, since COVID didn't much affect rich fucks and there's very low inventory. But getting into real estate now is buying high, in hope of it selling higher later. Seems to run counter to "buy low, sell high" to get into real estate right now.

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2021/04/record-office-occupancy-loss-and-record-high-vacancy-in-d-c/

Might actually be getting the dips on the commercial side as COVID has done a bit of hit on that.

I would be weary of getting into residential though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FrozenVent posted:

It's going to be a more dangerous level of uncertainty than 1991.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

facialimpediment posted:

During a gold rush, dont dig, sell shovels.

The prices for roofers, electricians, pretty much anyone related to home improvement is insane in my area.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
SCOTUS has ruled in favor of Google versus Oracle. They assume the copyrightability of the API, and then held that google's theft of said API was fair use. I agree with the ultimate result but it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth that Google could be a deliberate bad actor and walk away with all their ill-gotten gains.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

SCOTUS has ruled in favor of Google versus Oracle. They assume the copyrightability of the API, and then held that google's theft of said API was fair use. I agree with the ultimate result but it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth that Google could be a deliberate bad actor and walk away with all their ill-gotten gains.

If it helps just think of the time a company lied to get access to Nintendo’s patents to circumvent a lock out chip and eventually.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is it bad I would've expected Big Strong Babby to try and get something similar passed had he won?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is it bad I would've expected Big Strong Babby to try and get something similar passed had he won?

I'm pretty sure everyone expected it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cugel the Clever posted:

Russia's gonna have president Mecha-Putin in forty years.

Hey DARPA, Mecha-Bernie/Mecha-Tammy when?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

A thing about Putin that doesn't get reported much in the West (cause it's inconvenient) is that Putin is actually genuinely popular. Yes he rigs it all anyway but that matters more for the regional elections, in a free and fair system he'd still be president as long as he wanted, FDR style. The Yelstin years were an absolute nightmare and that's the only credible alternate path to Putin people see available. Which relates to another thing you don't see mentioned in the mainstream US media much: Navalny is extremely unpopular. People there have seen what happens when a pro-west pro-market reformer popular with the NATO nations gets in charge.

I don't think the West is anywhere close to realizing how badly we hosed up a once in an epoch chance to make a lasting peace with Russia by sending our shock doctrine psychos over there to help the mafia steal everything not locked down and help install an insanely corrupt alcoholic to look the other way while it happened. We proved every dark suspicion about the Western democracies correct to Russians in the 90s.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

APIs are for integration, that's what they exist to do. It'd be like saying that if Toyota came up with a new type of screw head they could sue anyone else who made a screwdriver that worked with it. I worked at Oracle when the lawsuit kicked off and I thought even then it was a terrible idea. Assuming Oracle's position held it would have effectively destroyed software interoperability.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

wins32767 posted:

APIs are for integration, that's what they exist to do. It'd be like saying that if Toyota came up with a new type of screw head they could sue anyone else who made a screwdriver that worked with it. I worked at Oracle when the lawsuit kicked off and I thought even then it was a terrible idea. Assuming Oracle's position held it would have effectively destroyed software interoperability.

I think the screw head analogy is a bit simplistic. If we're using a car analogy, google lifted the tooling for the assembly line so that people that worked in a Toyota factory could immediately start building google cars identical to the toyotas but with google's branding instead.

I don't think that Oracle was right in the restrictions that they wanted in place. Something akin to compulsory licensing ala the music industry is probably more appropriate than fair use. However, the SCOTUS is constrained by outdated law, and I think they got the best answer possible out of the case even if I think google got away with something majorly lovely.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well here's a happy surprise. This thing flew out of the Arkansas legislature and I figured it was cooked.

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1379133072436772865

https://twitter.com/chasestrangio/status/1379132850734252034

Bill background for this abhorrent piece of poo poo: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/arkansas-passes-bill-ban-gender-affirming-care-trans-youth-n1262412

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 5, 2021

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think the screw head analogy is a bit simplistic. If we're using a car analogy, google lifted the tooling for the assembly line so that people that worked in a Toyota factory could immediately start building google cars identical to the toyotas but with google's branding instead.

I don't think that Oracle was right in the restrictions that they wanted in place. Something akin to compulsory licensing ala the music industry is probably more appropriate than fair use. However, the SCOTUS is constrained by outdated law, and I think they got the best answer possible out of the case even if I think google got away with something majorly lovely.

Tooling for the assembly line is even more incorrect as an analogy. I'd wager that there are millions of lines of code in the Android implementation, the APIs are ~21k lines. There is an art to building a good API, but there is a lot more art and effort in getting them to actually work. Another analogy is the API is a defined contract offered by a software system. Just because you use the same legal contract as another one of my suppliers doesn't mean you're lifting their whole assembly line tooling. It means that if I give you 500 lbs of steel and another 500 lbs of plastic you're going to give me a car that can fit a family of 4 with their stuff and drive at 75 mph at at least 21 mpg. That could be a Tesla or a Camry or an Elantra or a Taurus.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

facialimpediment posted:

Well here's a happy surprise. This thing flew out of the Arkansas legislature and I figured it was cooked.

Bill background for this abhorrent piece of poo poo: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/arkansas-passes-bill-ban-gender-affirming-care-trans-youth-n1262412

While good, I'm awaiting him putting out EOs on the subject like Noem did in SD. More than one way to play to the base on trans issues they didn't care about 3 months ago.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

the yellow dart posted:

While good, I'm awaiting him putting out EOs on the subject like Noem did in SD. More than one way to play to the base on trans issues they didn't care about 3 months ago.

Apparently the arkansas legislature can override the veto by a simple majority, so still could be cooked. Or they move onto declaring baseball illegal.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Yahoo Answers is shutting down May 4th.

https://twitter.com/EllisTheEagle/status/1379107131555770373?s=20

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shutting it down on 4/20

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Woah, this legitimately surprising.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

wins32767 posted:

Tooling for the assembly line is even more incorrect as an analogy. I'd wager that there are millions of lines of code in the Android implementation, the APIs are ~21k lines. There is an art to building a good API, but there is a lot more art and effort in getting them to actually work. Another analogy is the API is a defined contract offered by a software system. Just because you use the same legal contract as another one of my suppliers doesn't mean you're lifting their whole assembly line tooling. It means that if I give you 500 lbs of steel and another 500 lbs of plastic you're going to give me a car that can fit a family of 4 with their stuff and drive at 75 mph at at least 21 mpg. That could be a Tesla or a Camry or an Elantra or a Taurus.

I don't think we'll find a good car analogy, and I don't think a legal contract is a good analogy either. That's just a form, and the API is more than just a form. And yes, I understand the API is only a small part of the enabling code, but that's the part that is necessary for java programs to be able to interact with android without having to learn new functions and their associated syntax.

Should Oracle be the only entity that gets to decide what devices run java or java like programs using the java api? No, I don't think that's right. Should google get to use the java API without some compensation to Oracle? I don't think they should, either.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think we'll find a good car analogy

There is no good car analogy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think we'll find a good car analogy, and I don't think a legal contract is a good analogy either. That's just a form, and the API is more than just a form. And yes, I understand the API is only a small part of the enabling code, but that's the part that is necessary for java programs to be able to interact with android without having to learn new functions and their associated syntax.

Should Oracle be the only entity that gets to decide what devices run java or java like programs using the java api? No, I don't think that's right. Should google get to use the java API without some compensation to Oracle? I don't think they should, either.

the API should be open simply because all it is in a language that my program uses to talk to yours. if the API is part of my code, it should behoove me to make it available so other people can work with my product.

like, suing over someone using your API is something only Oracle, a company notorious for high level patent trolling, would try to do. hating google is well and good, but oracle has been refining their brand of petty evil in courts for decades

And after they spent so much effort ripping off RHEL wholesale that Red Hat had to change their entire pipeline to block Oracle from stealing their work and charging money for it, its pretty funny watching them try and sue for something like this

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 5, 2021

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Absolutely Google should be able to use the API without compensation. The whole of the internet is built upon free use of other people's interfaces. From Ethernet to IP to TCP to HTTP to HTML to CSS. A lot of people put in a tremendous amount of effort to make those interfaces work, but from the dawn of shared computing back in the 70s using public interfaces has been a fundamental assumption of building software. My Mac is running on an API for Unix that AT&T put together back in the 70s. Windows is written in C which also came out of that same group at AT&T. Oracle made its money building a database also written in C, running on largely on Unix systems and they used that money to buy Sun, the folks that actually created Java. Larry Ellison has been trying to pull up the ladder behind him. I don't know of a single programmer who thinks public APIs shouldn't be covered under fair use.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 5, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I've been looking for this confirmation for a while and it's good enough for me: the 8chan guy is the closest thing you'll ever get to Q and it's not worth trying to dig any deeper.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1378925180597239808

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/04/05/ron-watkins-qanon-hbo/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
An API is like a list of names and addresses. You still have to do all the heavy lifting to make use of that info, but its very very important info that needs to be free and open for software interoperability. This is like if Oracle said you needed to pay licensing for their bespoke yellowbook for the Oracle town, its not an insane proposition legally, just a very dumb one as far as cooperate responsibility. I'm glad the supreme court told them that they can't try to squeeze profit out of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

wins32767 posted:

Absolutely Google should be able to use the API without compensation. The whole of the internet is built upon free use of other people's interfaces. From Ethernet to IP to TCP to HTTP to HTML to CSS. A lot of people put in a tremendous amount of effort to make those interfaces work, but from the dawn of shared computing back in the 70s using public interfaces has been a fundamental assumption of building software. My Mac is running on an API for Unix that AT&T put together back in the 70s. Windows is written in C which also came out of that same group at AT&T. Oracle made its money building a database also written in C, running on largely on Unix systems and they used that money to buy Sun, the folks that actually created Java. Larry Ellison has been trying to pull up the ladder behind him. I don't know of a single programmer who thinks public APIs shouldn't be covered under fair use.

Most of the things you mention are situations where the owners of the API have freely given access to it. Java's API wasn't given away freely unless you comply with certain licensing rules. Google was unable to negotiate something and instead said "we're just gonna take it and see you in court." That set of circumstances rubs me the wrong way. I know all about Larry as a patent/copyright troll, and I don't think that Oracle's argument is right either to the full extent they were asking for protection. I think the issue we have is trying to stretch copyright law to protect something that it was not meant to protect.

We really need something new to regulate this field.

M_Gargantua posted:

An API is like a list of names and addresses. You still have to do all the heavy lifting to make use of that info, but its very very important info that needs to be free and open for software interoperability. This is like if Oracle said you needed to pay licensing for their bespoke yellowbook for the Oracle town, its not an insane proposition legally, just a very dumb one as far as cooperate responsibility. I'm glad the supreme court told them that they can't try to squeeze profit out of it.

I think it's an oversimplification. It isn't a list of names and addresses. It's something for coders to use to access the underlying system. In this case, java programmers were able to access android by writing java code because the API was copied. I agree that there should be some necessary freedom of use if you're talking about accessing a public system or something of that nature. This is a little different, as we're not talking about a API for a service or something like that. We're talking about the basic functions of coding applications for the software platform.

I think that oracle should have some right to control their programming language.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 5, 2021

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

facialimpediment posted:

I've been looking for this confirmation for a while and it's good enough for me: the 8chan guy is the closest thing you'll ever get to Q and it's not worth trying to dig any deeper.

Wow

That smile really is it

“Ne-never as Q, I promise”

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Nice! posted:

We really need something new to regulate this field.

this is without a doubt true. its a new form of IP, and we need rules made for it.

maybe later some grand unified theory of copyright, IP, and trade secrets can be established

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think that oracle should have some right to control their programming language.

maybe, but when its part of the underlying infrastructure of the internet at this point its like the inventor of concrete, Jimmy Concrete, wanting to demand what dams get built.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 5, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I do want to say, I'm not in support of Oracle's IP trolling generally. Oracle v Google is a horrible company vs a horrible company. I think the outcome is right considering the circumstances and the lovely state of current IP laws.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: STOLEN AMBULANCE POLICE CHASE :siren:

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/video/n...4f-e86ab540bffd

Past highlight: https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1379150518027747333

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 5, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The QAnon Anonymous podcast, Behind the Bastards when they’ve had Frederick Brennan on, and Popular Front’s QAnon series have all tipped right up to the edge of saying this and heavily, heavily implied this to the listener.

Also last week the WaPo did some lovely navel-gazing when they repeated that Travis View was a pen name (which goes against their official policy of quoting or running pieces people who use pen names) despite the fact that View had been open about using it, and had submitted documents that had his real name on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Did they copy oracles api for their own software or did they just use the api oracle published for accessing oracles software?