Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

well i got as far as removing the 3g modem from my vita and the first screw came out without a hitch but the second was immediately stripped so rip my vita i guess. turns out it and its lovely overpriced and unreliable memory sucked all along!!!

you can also put a little piece of scotch tape in the screw and try screwing with the tape in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Rubber band is my goto for stripped screws, that ballpoint pen idea is super neat though

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i tried it with a rubber band and got nowhere just kept spinning around. the psvsd guide said the screws strip really easily i guess they werent kidding

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

i tried it with a rubber band and got nowhere just kept spinning around. the psvsd guide said the screws strip really easily i guess they werent kidding

Sony used lead screws in everything from that era, it was common to shred one of the ps3's hard drive sled screws if you tried to change that out.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So, surely someone is currently pulling all of the ps3 and vita games off the Sony CDN and prepping them for archive.org right?

RIGHT?

:cry:

The NPS admin has mentioned they've got a full mirror of all games available on NPS, in case of a full CDN shutdown, to be submitted to archive.org. Archivist (the person running the-eye) is also backing up stuff.

Super No Vacancy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Deal4GO-22Pcs-PSV1000-Replacement-Screws/dp/B07W6KH79K I think the guide also suggests alternatives for screws in case they're hosed

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Or hold the bottom end of a ballpoint pen over a flame for a little bit and push it into the hole then wait for it to go hard again and use that to unscrew it.

Ah, the old Nintendo 'gamebit' screw trick.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Just started soul sacrifice delta, played up to the point where all the quests unlock. Is it viable to just go solely sacrifice/save?

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The extra weird thing is the psp Katamari kind of sucks on the psp but is elevated to a whole new level when you use the vitas right analog stick. It becomes a whole new better game

I didn't think the right analog stick worked on psp games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Josh Christ posted:

You can tell the Vita to bind it to the face buttons. It's not perfect, but it helps a lot for some games.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can tell the Vita to bind it to the face buttons. It's not perfect, but it helps a lot for some games.

Yeah binding the right stick to the shoulder buttons is the only way to play shadow tower comfortably

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are also actual analogue patches for a lot of games now using CFW to add proper right stick functionality.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah that's true, I used the one for PSP2 Infinity, though I didn't take note of any others.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
There's a straight remap kernel plugin with profiles and stuff too

https://github.com/MERLev/reVita

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Josh Christ posted:

As mentioned you bind the stick to the face buttons. It really helps with Katamari since it makes it play like the ps2/PS3 games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

There's a straight remap kernel plugin with profiles and stuff too

https://github.com/MERLev/reVita

Oh wow, gyro in any game huh. Sick.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Atelier Mysterious series (Sophie, Firis, Lydie & Suelle) is getting an enhanced re-release on Steam, PS4, and Switch. It's highly likely they will not be compatible with Vita cross save as they add new story elements and items. As of right now the Steam page for the original versions says they will be delisted on the 21st, PSN versions delist on the 22nd.

The enhanced Mysterious DX games are better and have a physical Switch release at Play Asia. They also come with DLC (including Lydie & Suelle's $70 season pass) so it's a better value overall to just get that if you want a portable option.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 3, 2021

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

so vita cfw kinda owns... im playing the pc port of mario 64 and its kinda really good...

wow retroarch is bad though, I’ve had so many catastrophic failures where i had to reinstall everything, just doesnt seem worth it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Retroarch is always bad, every platfrom

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Incorrect.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my experience with retroarch on vita was, much like my posts, disappointing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Achmed Jones posted:

my experience with retroarch on vita was, much like my posts, disappointing.

Yeah much like your po-gently caress

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Vita! I just purchased one of these. I've already modded it and have the emulators that I want. Are there any must have homebrew games or apps?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
VitaDB browser app to streamline installation
PKGj for all your legally acquired backup needs
Adrenaline for PSP emulation
VitaShell for system utilities (although you should already have this if you installed CFW)
reVita for button remaps
SaveMgr for sane save management

Can't think of any other must haves off the top of my head

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think I have all of that except for reVita and savemgr. Also already have SD2Vita so storage isn't an issue.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Some nice-to-haves:

UDCD is a kernel plugin that lets you stream the vita's screen to your computer through usb, very very nice for game capture and screenshots
Vita Homebrew Browser and PSP Homebrew Browser are both handy of course
There are a bunch of awesome homebrew ports of Android titles and a lot more on the way: Sonic 1,2,CD, Max Payne, GTA:SA, FNAF, etc.
Daedalus 64 is an excellent, accelerated N64 emu
VitaGrafix is a plugin that'll let you uncap FPS and up resolution in most native Vita games, especially combined with...
PSVshell, an overclocking utility that supports per-app profiles
DS4Vita: use a dualshock 4 if you want!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I did go through the effort to set up Max Payne last night but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. What's the benefit to setting up the Sonic Android ports vs. emulation? Because I've been emulating those games since Sega emulation first became viable.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have a crazy specific question. Has anyone had good luck with SNES emulation on Vita? Particularly some of the Final Fantasies like VI ? I’ve tried all 3 cores in retroarch, I’ve maxed out the overclocking etc. still get tons of sound stutter and lag particularly in that game. It just boggles my mind since I swear I was emulating that game well over a decade ago on crappy laptops perfectly.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I want to say those games run fine on the SNES9X emulator for the PSP. Maybe try running that through Adrenaline? I simply kept my emulators from the PSP and a quick test showed no issues.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHWZgLWAwAU

Here's a video guide on backing up your legitimately downloaded Vita games. The SD2Vita is like $2 shipped from ebay/wish.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

DS4Vita: use a dualshock 4 if you want!

Ds34vita is an updated fork that combines the DS3 and DS4 plugins and adds extra stuff like integration with reVita and touchpad deadzones.

I would also recommend

pngshot - makes your screenshots png
ReScreeny - for sensible screenshot folders, makes it much easier to locate screenshots on vitashell
Vitabright - for tweaking brightness levels beyond what the official firmware lets you
Adrenaline Bubble Manager - paired with an adrenaline plug-in, you can make bubbles for anything on Adrenaline so you can access games directly from them. Super handy if you run emulators or homebrew through adrenaline and want to skip a few steps

There's this list for more ideas https://github.com/MuxaJlbl4/Awesome-PlayStation-Vita

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Just started soul sacrifice delta, played up to the point where all the quests unlock. Is it viable to just go solely sacrifice/save?

You can, but 1) There's no reward for it, and 2) While eventually maxing out damage is the endgame you don't get the offerings to make that feasible for a long, long time without eating frequent poo poo so you're going to want some survivability, and likewise trying to go pure Save is going to have you hit like a kitten and run out of offering uses long before many of the bigger fights end, so just grab what you need when you need it. Unlocking stuff is going to require both sacrificed and saved souls anyways, so just play the game naturally until later on when you have enough potent offerings and upgraded sigils to start making real builds.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Is there any easy way to keep track of what games you have stored externally by spreadsheet, IE: what game PCSA00011 is or whatever?

EDIT: answering my own question in record time: https://www.serialstation.com/titles/PCSA/00011

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

You could collate that with NPS database by downloading their TSVs (not linking cuz :filez: but you know where that is)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hey thanks! There's a nongrams/picross game for the Vita! That's a get. Also has anyone used the PC "upgrade" for Max Payne? Like I said, I managed to get it to load but I haven't tested it yet. That game was one of my favorites and the only shooter I ever enjoyed.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Locke posted:

You can, but 1) There's no reward for it, and 2) While eventually maxing out damage is the endgame you don't get the offerings to make that feasible for a long, long time without eating frequent poo poo so you're going to want some survivability, and likewise trying to go pure Save is going to have you hit like a kitten and run out of offering uses long before many of the bigger fights end, so just grab what you need when you need it. Unlocking stuff is going to require both sacrificed and saved souls anyways, so just play the game naturally until later on when you have enough potent offerings and upgraded sigils to start making real builds.

So you can respec later?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

So you can respec later?

The first time you hit level 100 you unlock Transmutation-, which can reset your levels back to 1 and unlock your last sigil slot. Re-leveling is pretty easy with the stronger offerings and sigils you should have by that point, so if you want to re-adjust your levels you can (and you'll probably want to Transmute a few times anyways since it unlocks more sigils for the final slot.)

There are stat perks for going specifically 90/10 and 99/1 on either side, but you really, really do not want to make that your goal for your first set of levels since you won't have the offering/sigils to make having such grossly unbalanced stats actually functional. It also does nothing for you in terms of plot or unlocks so there's no story reason to do so either and, as said, a lot of times you'll need to re-run content anyways doing the thing you didn't do before for alternate mission unlocks.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Should i shoot for 50/50 on my first run then?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Should i shoot for 50/50 on my first run then?

I'd mostly not sweat it and mostly do whatever you need the reward from (ether the immediate in-mission reward from your Faction or the Essence afterwards which you can use for various upgrades, particularly Sigils.) The different kinds of arms you get from levels allow you to equip different sigils- Neutral arm favors status effects, summons, and Force magic while having access to stat buffs of all kinds. Dark arm favors Attacking magic and offensive buffs. Divine arm tends to favor support and buff offerings as well as defensive buffs, and both polarized paths also support Blood Spells, which are probably the strongest attack magics in the early game due to being limited only by your health (which you can replenish through Offerings or Save/Sacrifice, although if you go Sanctuarium be very careful not to exhaust your healing offerings in a quest since none of it's Save/Sacrifice options restore health by itself. Divine Arm Blood Magic is probably solo 'easy mode' for most of the early game since you can be really chufty while also dealing a lot of damage but I'd pick to your playstyle- if you like buffs and weapon-style offerings Life > Magic might work better for you, while if you prefer blasting stuff down with blasting offerings you'll be better served with Dark, while Neutral can lean into either as well as really go hard on the trap and support offerings.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah im 20/1 right now and ive been mostly using spears and it's pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
In an attempt to not devolve into a filthy :filez: seeker, I went to the Sony website on my desktop to glance at my wishlist and even update it with more PS1 games to debate over just snapping up at the full $6-$10 each as the timer ticks down.

But they made that impossible and emptied out my wishlist (don't have a PS4 or PS5, so nothing else there) on top of just re-deleting the webfront store. The next time I turn on my VitaTV and try the store app I'll actually find out if they nuked my wishlist, and I'm already not hopeful.