Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Would Paradise Killer or Gnosia work? I don't know much about either of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

If she’s down with romance, I think the code realize games are pretty good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaius Marius posted:

Umineko Ep5

Weaponizing Knox's commandments, now I've seen everything

You know if Natsuhi pulled a weekend at Bernies/ the inquisotr red truth and Beato's blue could both be valid

I loving Died at Dianor's Engrish

Oh but battler was like Kinzo, weird it's like I been saying that for chapters now

If battler fucks this chance up man. C'mon you got the brains you got the skills. Let's do this poo poo

Beautiful, Battler finally didn't disappoint
I need to get that image in 1440p

Battler jumping out the window is a top 5 scene in VN history

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Hwurmp posted:

Would Paradise Killer or Gnosia work? I don't know much about either of those.

Paradise Killer does have a gory room of the murder IIRC.

Gnosia is more of a Werewolf simulator than a VN, but yeah, I don't think it has much for gore.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Speaking of AI, World End’s Club, the game Uchikoshi made in collaboration with Kodaka was released last September on Apple Arcade, which completely flew under the radar as no one pays attention to Apple Arcade.

It’s coming out for the switch on May 28th

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It was also like half what the final game is supposed to be

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of AI, World End’s Club, the game Uchikoshi made in collaboration with Kodaka was released last September on Apple Arcade, which completely flew under the radar as no one pays attention to Apple Arcade.

It’s coming out for the switch on May 28th

I've already got the limited edition pre-ordered

But yes, go buy it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Huh, I thought it was a switch exclusive. So was it any good?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Well, it was incomplete, as it's more like a demo to make people get invested and then yank the rug out from under them and go 'see you in a year when this game actually releases, sucker' :v:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Mix. posted:

Well, it was incomplete, as it's more like a demo to make people get invested and then yank the rug out from under them and go 'see you in a year when this game actually releases, sucker' :v:

Hmm, seems really long for a demo so far. Think I’m two hours in. Though I can see it being half the game.

Really enjoying it so far though. The characters are very likable.

Though it’s more of an action-adventure game than VN. (Though there is a lot of dialog and character interaction). I can see it being very popular.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 5, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Yeah, demo's not exactly the right choice of words. A friend described it as 'if you bought a Danganronpa game but only got the first case or two and were told to wait for the rest', which is probably a closer comparison.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So does this mean that the rest of the game isn’t coming out for Apple Arcade and I’ll have to replay all this on switch?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

So does this mean that the rest of the game isn’t coming out for Apple Arcade and I’ll have to replay all this on switch?

I don't think it's been confirmed but it sure is looking like it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mix. posted:

Yeah, demo's not exactly the right choice of words. A friend described it as 'if you bought a Danganronpa game but only got the first case or two and were told to wait for the rest', which is probably a closer comparison.

Gran Turismo 4 Prologue

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mix. posted:

Ah, early access.

Your Turn To Die is doing something like that, and Exit/Corners did the same thing until it was finished, releasing basically one chapter at a time. But, crucially, those games are free. Paid episodic storygames/VNs (that can't stand alone) should have died with Telltale, they were both the best and worst of every aspect of them.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 6, 2021

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MegaZeroX posted:

Paradise Killer does have a gory room of the murder IIRC.

Gnosia is more of a Werewolf simulator than a VN, but yeah, I don't think it has much for gore.

Yeah, the violence in Gnosia is completely bloodless apart from a couple of short scenes, and those aren't particularly graphic.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Stein's Gate is particularly gory, there's maybe one moment in the true ending that's a little intense but I don't think it's that bad (and isn't shown on screen) and it's the only one that comes to mind

There's way worse stuff in all of the zero escape games

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The extremely uncomfortable gender jokes though, there's a ton of those

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Sharkitten posted:

The extremely uncomfortable gender jokes though, there's a ton of those

yes those are unfortunate

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

After around 10 hours I finished all of the Apple Arcade version of World’s End Club, which I understand is about half the game. I’ll probably have to replay it again for the Switch, but I don’t mind that much as I found it an absolute joy. The characters have fantastic chemistry, and the game has tons of heart. It’s also frequently hilarious.

It’s also got a strong Goonies vibe which I wasn’t really expecting, but ended up loving.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So the switch has the full version or the full version doesn't exist yet?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stefan Prodan posted:

So the switch has the full version or the full version doesn't exist yet?

The Switch will have it in late May, maybe the Apple Arcade version will be updated with it then also.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

After around 10 hours I finished all of the Apple Arcade version of World’s End Club, which I understand is about half the game. I’ll probably have to replay it again for the Switch, but I don’t mind that much as I found it an absolute joy. The characters have fantastic chemistry, and the game has tons of heart. It’s also frequently hilarious.

It’s also got a strong Goonies vibe which I wasn’t really expecting, but ended up loving.

Just to keep everyone's expectations in check, the statement back when the Apple Arcade version was released is that it had about 70 percent of the full game, not half of it. I expect there'll be an update for it along with the Switch version, though they did hint that the Switch version might have some bonus content.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

orenronen posted:

Just to keep everyone's expectations in check, the statement back when the Apple Arcade version was released is that it had about 70 percent of the full game, not half of it. I expect there'll be an update for it along with the Switch version, though they did hint that the Switch version might have some bonus content.

Oh ok, I remember them saying that the game would take about 20 hours to go through everything. Considering that I didn’t usually let the voice dialog play out fully and would just skip to the next part after I read the dialog, I would imagine it would have taken me 15 hours if I was listening to everything, so that sounds about right.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Talking about mystery stuff, I decided to read the Tokyo Zodiac Murders just for fun during this, I was curious: realistically, do you think anyone actually solves this on their own? I feel like if you haven't heard of the trick that the detective explains there's just no way you would come up with it. I mean that's why it's good and all, you could solve it, you just won't. But I was just wondering if anyone actually has.

I've never read it or heard of it except from this post and the part in Umineko where it's brought up. So I'm getting a copy and I guess we'll see.

It's a bit of a weird thing, There's a real implicit or Explicit premise in a lot of detective fiction that the reader should be able to solve the mystery. There's some that actually work quite well in the framework, Most of Christie's novels you can make a pretty good stab at it. Most of Doyle's work would be basically impossible now and super improbable now, but the expectation is that once they've layed it all out you can go back and connect the dots for yourself.

Every once in awhile you just get a bullshit story like The Red-Headed League where holmes just waltzes in and solves the case in two seconds based on total bullshit

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean I will say after seeing the solution, it is completely solveable, you don't need to have like expertise in any particular field or anything, it's very fair and I think that's why people like it

but I also just can't imagine actually coming up with it with all the correct details on your own

The author even tells you explicitly between chapters "hey you have all the clues you need now, the detective is about to explain it, here's your chance if you want to try"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I guess maybe if you try really hard? I glanced at Wiki page and saw them referencing Azoth, If they're going hard into the Alchemical Zodiac connection than it might be possible, but only if you really know your poo poo about some real esoterica.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, I guess maybe if you try really hard? I glanced at Wiki page and saw them referencing Azoth, If they're going hard into the Alchemical Zodiac connection than it might be possible, but only if you really know your poo poo about some real esoterica.

Nah, the book gives you everything you need, I could have solved everything without reading any outside sources about anything, it would have just been extremely hard

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

There's an interesting Japanese PSP game, Trick X Logic, that tries to gamify the "completely solvable-but-difficult detective story" concept. It's an episodic game, and the concept is exactly that - actual short detective stories written by actual mystery novelist (some of the famous award-winning ones) that you solve by connecting segments of the text together to form hypotheses (including many red herrings the game allows you to follow quite deeply), and then connect those hypotheses together to form deeper hypotheses that you eventually use to fill a form describing the solution to the mystery.

It's also weird in that it systematically glosses over motives - to the point that those are often left inexplicit even after you solve the murder. It's all about the who and how with zero why.

Sadly it would be difficult to translate even as a fan patch because the main gameplay UI that displays those longish textual stories is using all vertical text to simulate actual Japanese books.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

orenronen posted:

There's an interesting Japanese PSP game, Trick X Logic, that tries to gamify the "completely solvable-but-difficult detective story" concept. It's an episodic game, and the concept is exactly that - actual short detective stories written by actual mystery novelist (some of the famous award-winning ones) that you solve by connecting segments of the text together to form hypotheses (including many red herrings the game allows you to follow quite deeply), and then connect those hypotheses together to form deeper hypotheses that you eventually use to fill a form describing the solution to the mystery.

That's extremely fascinating, but.

orenronen posted:

It's also weird in that it systematically glosses over motives - to the point that those are often left inexplicit even after you solve the murder. It's all about the who and how with zero why.
This kind of thing Is why I tend to hate a lot of the Hackier closed room mysteries. Without a motive they degrade into mere puzzles. Without motive any solution you can come to is as equally valid as any other, it's a game of matching solutions to the author rather than following the through line of emotion to reach the logical conclusion of a character. Umineko seems to be on my side on this with it's use of Magic to make that implicit assertion explicit.

orenronen posted:

Sadly it would be difficult to translate even as a fan patch because the main gameplay UI that displays those longish textual stories is using all vertical text to simulate actual Japanese books.
Bro you wanna spend another year or so translating a Japanese PSP game? I'll provide moral support.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm sure I've read dozens of closed room mysteries in my youth but I remember precisely zero of them. I think the only one outside of Umineko that I actually remember is from the Beyond Birthday Murders novelization, shamefully enough - but I remember enjoying that well enough for what it was.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

There was an attempt at a translation LP a few years ago, which I think goes through all or most of its first part, which is about half of the full game (it was released as two separate UMD discs after an episodic PSN release). Flicking through it I don't think the LP does a very good job of portraying the actual pace of the game, which is very iterative and has the player being led through some garden paths before finding the actual solution. This is also a game where they got some actual novelists to do the writing, and where the actual prose is part of the appeal. As such it requires a talented translator, and the LP's seems to be more functional than evocative (not that I could do much better myself).

If you still want to see it, though: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817565. Warning: the game's framing story is as anime as can be, but the mystery parts are grounded trick-based murder puzzles.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My god...I already had it bookmarked, It seems I just never bothered to go back and check it out.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm sure I've read dozens of closed room mysteries in my youth but I remember precisely zero of them. I think the only one outside of Umineko that I actually remember is from the Beyond Birthday Murders novelization, shamefully enough - but I remember enjoying that well enough for what it was.
You know I've never read The BB murder case novel, but NISOISN is a pretty good writer and his Zaregoto series presents at least a decent mystery, although I don't know if I'd call them self solvable

Umineko EP5 Spoilers
Eirika violating Knox's rules herself and then being mad when her truth doesn't work is hilarious.

I'm not gonna find a better place for this but Gohda, Goat a, A Goat.
You guys feeling me on this?

Everyone is so odd in these ep's you can tell Beato knew them all personally whereas the witches only view them as pieces towards a goal

Natsu only told Shannon her favorite season was fall.

I feel like the game thinks I'm gonna be more tripped up on the Gender than I am

Okay the game wants me to go with her, so she isn't the culprit in this game. I'm guessing it's a weird Ackroyd situation where Eirika is trying to create the perfect crime and frame natsuhi

Now this is a locked room I can get behind

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 8, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tokyo zodiac murder spoilers

the setup for heikichis murder was pretty close to what I thought. my thinking was they climbed the windows threw something through the grates of the skylight and retrieved it with rope.

I do think we're missing a piece in the police summation. he almost certainly did have a model he was painting. one of his daughters. the one with the birth mark I thought but maybe not. she gave him the sleeping pills so his death wouldn't be painful. she was aware of the murder plot but unable to stop it.

him missing some of his facial hair and being emaciated shows he was trying to ride himself of the devil, the model probably took the hair from him gave him the sleeping pills and then went off when they realized the rest of the girls were coming to kill him.

as for the stepdaughter. no idea. I'm pretty sure it was the woman who found her that did it. my only theory is that the stepdaughter was having an affair with we husband. she found out murdered her in the morning. came back at night with him and forced him to rape her corpse for some reason.
pretty hosed up.

anyways for the zodiac murders I think they're pulling a pig prank on us. I'm gonna look over the way the bodies were cut but I'm betting you can rearrange them to leave out one whole body. The daughter who was the model poisoned her sisters and nieces at the resort with the poison they would've used on heikichi but took some of the antidote before hand that's why the narrator gives is that info.

thinking now heikichi burned his foot as a child. did the police not check. maybe it was his brother who died. the sleeping pills drugged him and they drug him to the shack. the daughter was in a sexual relationship with heikichi and then assumed the role of his mistress after they together finished the azoth crimes.

now I'm just spitballing

all the depth astrology and latitude poo poo is beyond me.

Yeah I just got to the author's note and don't feel like I've gotten much more out of the whole deal

The taped up banknote confirms to me that the corpses were prepared to hide the lack of a soxth body. Implicitly making them the culprit.

Best I can tell the mannequin in the meiji theme park was the same that heikichi considered the azoth prime. Realizing as such he called off his murder ideas and tried to move towards removing the devil again. This the lack of hairs. The sixth girl either was the model and killed the family in revenge or attempted to kill all of them for some gain that I cannot see.

Tae his first wife is also suspicious. The woman manning the tobacco shop could've been a mannequin, and she worked with her own daughter to kill the rest of heikichis progeny. Then felt guilty and gave away money for the rest of her days.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 9, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Tokyo zodiac murder spoilers

the setup for heikichis murder was pretty close to what I thought. my thinking was they climbed the windows threw something through the grates of the skylight and retrieved it with rope.

I do think we're missing a piece in the police summation. he almost certainly did have a model he was painting. one of his daughters. the one with the birth mark I thought but maybe not. she gave him the sleeping pills so his death wouldn't be painful. she was aware of the murder plot but unable to stop it.

him missing some of his facial hair and being emaciated shows he was trying to ride himself of the devil, the model probably took the hair from him gave him the sleeping pills and then went off when they realized the rest of the girls were coming to kill him.

as for the stepdaughter. no idea. I'm pretty sure it was the woman who found her that did it. my only theory is that the stepdaughter was having an affair with we husband. she found out murdered her in the morning. came back at night with him and forced him to rape her corpse for some reason.
pretty hosed up.

anyways for the zodiac murders I think they're pulling a pig prank on us. I'm gonna look over the way the bodies were cut but I'm betting you can rearrange them to leave out one whole body. The daughter who was the model poisoned her sisters and nieces at the resort with the poison they would've used on heikichi but took some of the antidote before hand that's why the narrator gives is that info.

thinking now heikichi burned his foot as a child. did the police not check. maybe it was his brother who died. the sleeping pills drugged him and they drug him to the shack. the daughter was in a sexual relationship with heikichi and then assumed the role of his mistress after they together finished the azoth crimes.

now I'm just spitballing

all the depth astrology and latitude poo poo is beyond me.

ok don't read this until you finish the book

drat that's insane that you figured out the part about rearranging the body parts to leave out a whole body. is that a device used in other murder stories? I've never heard of that poo poo so it seemed wild to me to think of that but you nailed it, sick

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Stefan Prodan posted:

ok don't read this until you finish the book

drat that's insane that you figured out the part about rearranging the body parts to leave out a whole body. is that a device used in other murder stories? I've never heard of that poo poo so it seemed wild to me to think of that but you nailed it, sick

They give you a big clue with the counterfeit money if you know how that trick works. If the part about opaque tape on a ten thosuand yen note didn't mean anything to you yeah it would be very hard.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

They give you a big clue with the counterfeit money if you know how that trick works. If the part about opaque tape on a ten thosuand yen note didn't mean anything to you yeah it would be very hard.

Yeah that's the thought I had at the time, I had never heard of that trick before and evidently Gaius has so maybe it's used in other mysteries, but I felt like if you didn't know about that concept it would be very hard to come up with on your own as you read the book

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah that's the thought I had at the time, I had never heard of that trick before and evidently Gaius has so maybe it's used in other mysteries, but I felt like if you didn't know about that concept it would be very hard to come up with on your own as you read the book
Yeah fair question. Someone explained it to me as a kid but I don't recall having seen it anywhere else.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I lost a huge post. Goddamnit. I'll type up the rest of my thoughts when I get back from the gym

I will say Ive heard of the banknote thing but this was the thing I was thinking about

https://youtu.be/OgR49veBZjE