Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Update your will quarterly based on personal relationship scoring metrics and send out notice to all impacted, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

brugroffil posted:

Update your will quarterly based on personal relationship scoring metrics and send out notice to all impacted, duh

Unless of course you're in the final 8 quarters of life, in which case it's money-grubbing to try and improve your metrics

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

brugroffil posted:

The thought of managing a will like corporate KPIs is both hilarious and horrifying

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Turning my will into a stapled packet of D&D-esque character sheets for each family member and designating a professional DM as executor.

+5 to inheritance
-3 to familial closeness

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What happens if grandparents croak and the parents have a second kid?

$250k, $250k, and a goose egg for baby

That was accounted for in that the trust is setup for "the children of BiL" rather that "Kid1 and Kid2." No further breakdown is mentioned (though the assumption is naturally that each kid gets half of the trust).

Which actually introduced another problem: educational expenses for Kid2 have kicked in early and threaten to overwhelm the trust before Kid1 is likely to need any of that money.

But without the trust, it's unlikely there would have been enough of the original inheritance left to pay for these needs longterm.

It's on the trustee now. Which is my BiL, so he can have fun with that.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Old people are more forgiving and don't waste time being Mad as much as us young folks who can spare the time for it. Time was too precious at that point to be upset about it, so they appreciated the time with these people, forgave them for any perceived bad motives, and of course didn't make any changes to their will.

If this was in any way true, old people wouldn't drive 10 mph under the speed limit and walk slowly at the grocery store while blocking everyone in their path.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

I work 50 hours a week, but don't get paid. Am I un-employed?

A little backstory, my father opened a restaurant a couple of years ago, and it has just never taken off. The harsh reality is it will eventually close. I have been working there since he bought the building, for no pay. We are the only employees, neither of us gets paid, and if one of us left it would close up within 3 months.

Luckily I live in a fairly low cost of living area and my wife has a good paying job through USPS, and it has afforded me to be in this situation. I wait tables, and do bring home $100 or so a week, but its all cash and there is no record of any of it.

Anyways, we need to enroll our daughter in pre-school, as a previous family friend watched our daughter when we worked. However, we are running into the issue of my employment. We can only afford pre-school with the family assistance program, which we do qualify for, but I don't know how to say I have a job but have no income.

It's tough putting the situation I am in into words, I am essentially a volunteer.

quote:

quote:

quote:

You have a wife and child and you've been working without pay for "a couple of years"? How much longer do you think this can or should go on? I understand wanting to help your dad but, you're both pouring energy, time, and money into a bottomless pit. You already recognize that the restaurant will "eventually close" - why not talk to your dad about turning this into a catering company or a food truck business so it can turn a profit?

Its not that simple, he would be close to 100k in debt as a 60 year old.

Yea dude and in 30 years so will you, or worse at this rate.

quote:

You don't have a job. You volunteer for a non-profit organization 50 hours per week.

Next post by OP:

quote:

Can I mine with the Radeon RX 5600 XT?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Ridiculous bankruptcy rules?

I lost my job due to coronavirus and was only able to hang out in my current apartment due to the eviction moratorium. There was no way I was going to be able to get the amount of back rent I owed for almost a year of rent. I basically knew that I was going to be headed toward bankruptcy.

In preparation, I maxed out my credit cards to get non-perishable goods, but kept paying my car note. I stocked up on toilet paper, gift cards, etc that I would need to get started after bankruptcy and eviction.

I got an eviction notice about a month ago and I followed all the rules, submitted all the forms, and did everything I had to do to declare bankruptcy but the court denied my petition and they won't even let me come into the court in person to sort it out because of coronavirus. Since I haven't been able to declare bankruptcy, I am getting constant calls from debt collectors and my credit cards bills are exploding. The credit card bills are somehow HIGHER than the limit on the cards. How is that even possible? Doesn't seem like a limit if they can just go above it.

Can I get this stuff put on hold while I get bankruptcy sorted out? And why would they reject me and then give me a date months later when this is something that needs to be resolved now. How many people declaring bankruptcy have months to wait?

Bankruptcy is supposed to be designed specifically for people like me who lost their job and have no way to pay back their debt in any reasonable way. So what is the point of taking three weeks to send a letter telling me to submit a form and then telling me that they will hear me out in a few months? How could anyone hoping to make use of this system be served by that? Are there any ways to speed up the process or get some kind of temporary approval to stop the threats and calls?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

In preparation, I maxed out my credit cards

Oh yea the bankruptcy court is going to love an outright admission of fraud

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

The credit card bills are somehow HIGHER than the limit on the cards. How is that even possible? Doesn't seem like a limit if they can just go above it.

alas that this is too long for a thread title

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

:perfect:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Why do so many people online say "car note" when every other loan/bill is just "X payment" or "X bill"?

I have never heard anyone use that term in real life. It is always "Car loan" or "Car payment" when actual people describe it.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I really want to know what the non-perishable goods are.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Easychair Bootson posted:

Beans and pasta, if the shelves of the grocery stores circa March 2020 are any indication.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Why do so many people online say "car note" when every other loan/bill is just "X payment" or "X bill"?

I have never heard anyone use that term in real life. It is always "Car loan" or "Car payment" when actual people describe it.

i think they do it to confuse themselves and assume that different rules apply

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Loans are things that poor people take to pay for their dumb commuter sedans.

A car note is a financial instrument I used to pay for my Ford Raptor, an instrument of my business, as an entrepreneur.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of inheritance, to me it is such a strange mindset to be angry about not receiving something you didn’t work towards and earned. Or even worse, that you got something you didn’t earn, but it wasn’t as much as you wanted, so you’re mad.

When my parents pass away, they’re going to leave me something, but I’m also okay with them leaving me with nothing. I wouldn’t care if they spent all their money on themselves towards the end of their lives.

Only thing I wouldn’t be okay with them leaving me is debt. Don’t leave me with debt.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Given the costs of end-of-life care these days, the vast majority of folks will be lucky to have parents that can sustain themselves without assistance. Having anything of significance left over from an "old age" death is an increasing rarity. And then to be mad about it, lol.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Residency Evil posted:

A car note is a financial instrument I used to pay for my Ford Raptor, an instrument of my business, as an entrepreneur.

See also: people who are into MLM’s and call themselves a CEO.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've always heard note inside the industry, probably in part as an effort to convince people that it's not a loan.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

19 o'clock posted:

See also: people who are into MLM’s and call themselves a CEO.

I think you mean Boss Bitch.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've always heard note inside the industry, probably in part as an effort to convince people that it's not a loan.

I figured it was regional from a region in not in. Someone called the buy here pay here lots a tote your note lot and I didn't understand what the hell that meant until I learned note can mean car payment.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I think you mean Boss Bitch.

drat, the Boss Baby trilogy really takes a turn at the end there

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My dad died like a month and a half ago and while I'm apparently getting around 40k, actually signing the inheritance paperwork etc happened only last week and I had to be pushed by the executor to actually think about it/not forget about that poo poo all the time. Quite literally the last thing on my mind at that moment and I feel sorry for inheritance-zillas to be honest.

Just leaving X split between your kids sounds like the way to go to me.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m going to instruct my executor to buy a remote chunk of land in Alaska or somewhere and hide an inscribed bar conferring 100% of the remaining estate to the finder. Whoever visits me before I pass can get a section of the treasure map, but they’ll need to steal the rest of the map from the other people who visited. Or they can work together and trust the handshake deal to divide the estate..

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol just LOL if your estate plan is anything other than a bigass mansion but your heirs have to spend one (1x) night in it for the will to be valid

The BWM part is faking your own death and getting all those paintings with the eye holes cut out

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m going to instruct my executor to buy a remote chunk of land in Alaska or somewhere and hide an inscribed bar conferring 100% of the remaining estate to the finder. Whoever visits me before I pass can get a section of the treasure map, but they’ll need to steal the rest of the map from the other people who visited. Or they can work together and trust the handshake deal to divide the estate..

Ron Swanson alt spotted

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Residency Evil posted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Go full Golden Kamuy and tattoo parts of the map on multiple people.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Joke's on you, unless you're an Alaska Native or willing to pay a premium there isn't any cheap remote land up here anymore.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
40% seignorage (price above spot)...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

What a tub of lard.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

president babyface

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 6, 2021

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are those eyes open, closed, or just very squinty?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

bob dobbs is dead posted:

40% seignorage (price above spot)...

more like seignorangemanbad, am i right?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Are those eyes open, closed, or just very squinty?

you could ask that of the man in the flesh too

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Easychair Bootson posted:

Well, a PS5 won’t spoil, so technically…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
LOL if your relatives have to wait for grandparents to die first before starting real fuckery about their inheritance. My last remaining grandparent apparently has a situation with my mother and uncle involving multiple wills and powers of attorney, a possibly dodgy land sign-over from back when my grandfather died, unauthorised sign-outs from the nursing home (before covid, at least) and at least one of their kids apparently not talking to them over it.