Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

yeah, i guess you could do a stage 3 install
What's the expected prognosis for stage 3 gentoo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
terminal

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dont Touch ME posted:

Passing up the subforum called "Haus of Tech Support" to post in "Your OS is a Piece of poo poo" and thinking "Oh yeah, this is the place for my inane tech support questions and personal life microblog."

this but unironically

hbag posted:

im going to start using a bucket of sand with two jumper cables stuck in it so i can really minimize bloat

lomarf

Truga fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 5, 2021

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

:eyepop:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mystes posted:

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

mystes posted:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mystes posted:

:eyepop:

Linux: What's the expected prognosis for stage 3 gentoo? Terminal

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hbag posted:

im going to start using a bucket of sand with two jumper cables stuck in it so i can really minimize bloat

this kid is going places

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

hbag posted:

mystes posted:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

excited to see that this thread momentarily transformed into a new yvcpos in between arguments about text editors and javascript

Last Chance posted:

I think they mean you can encode mpeg 2 in 1080p, which i actually did as a test a few months back to see if an old powermac g4 could hardware decode it and it did !

e: it may have been 720p, I forget. it didn’t look great though

mpeg2 is in the blu-ray standard, and plenty of actually existing blu-rays are 1080p mpeg2

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

didn’t know that! interesting.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What. The. gently caress. is going on with endless OS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v4X-J6W4KY

https://community.endlessos.com/t/reset-passwords-from-lock-screen/14901/7

This is some galaxy brain design.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

josh04 posted:

excited to see that this thread momentarily transformed into a new yvcpos in between arguments about text editors and javascript

mpeg2 is in the blu-ray standard, and plenty of actually existing blu-rays are 1080p mpeg2

I have a question too. Is Lil Nas X pronounced like Mac OS X?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nitrousoxide posted:

i love the response that's essentially "why even have a password?", very powerful RMS vibes.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

"As you need physical access to the device, the security implications are predictable."

lmao

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

xtal posted:

I have a question too. Is Lil Nas X pronounced like Mac OS X?

he's now lilNas 11 (Big Sur)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i love the response that's essentially "why even have a password?", very powerful RMS vibes.

it's about equal access for all (to your data)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

No password at all would at least encourage better security behaviors by the users since they would be discouraged from leaving anything like their email logged in.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

ive genuinely never heard of endless OS so i can only guess it's something wacky and also whimsical

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

where's suspicious dish when you need a hot take from the (former) dev?

I wouldn't be surprised if dish just wrote off linux entirely

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hbag posted:

ive genuinely never heard of endless OS so i can only guess it's something wacky and also whimsical

It looks like its a distro intended for students or schools. It appears their business model is selling licenses for commercial use of any number, or non-commercial use for more than 500 devices.

I assume they wanted to spend as little money as possible supporting their users so developed this abomination that lets anyone reset the password of any user (which is probably their biggest support request), including the root user.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

It looks like its a distro intended for students or schools. It appears their business model is selling licenses for commercial use of any number, or non-commercial use for more than 500 devices.

I assume they wanted to spend as little money as possible supporting their users so developed this abomination that lets anyone reset the password of any user (which is probably their biggest support request), including the root user.

then... why do they have passwords in the first place...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

indeed

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

hbag posted:

then... why do they have passwords in the first place...

Because stripping passwords out of userland and fixing the kernel space infrastructure that relies on them is a big downstream divergence that just might be a major pain in the rear end to maintain.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

Because stripping passwords out of userland and fixing the kernel space infrastructure that relies on them is a big downstream divergence that just might be a major pain in the rear end to maintain.

The ABSOLUTE LEAST they should be doing if they are allowing this reset any user thing is encrypting the disk and upon a reset request, nuking it and starting them fresh.

They should be encrypting the disk by default anyway, but apparently this distro doesn't even support disk encryption, which is why the reset anyone implementation doesn't *technically* increase the user's exposure to a bad actor with physical access to the device (since they could reboot with a live usb, or pull the drive and mount it to another device.

But of course it does, in practice, do so since it makes the tools to access a user who isn't you far more readily accessible. Security through obscurity may not be a GOOD security approach, but it does apply a least some degree of a filter to low information malicious actors.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
still lol that suspicious dish left redhat to work there

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

Kind of explains a lot

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Gonna try that VM and see what all the talk is about.

ah, well.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Drastic Actions posted:

Gonna try that VM and see what all the talk is about.

ah, well.

endless trash

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

carry on then posted:

endless trash

endless torment (punishment for the unforgivable sin of installing an operating system)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pram posted:

can’t lol until we find out: did they pay more and/or pay to move out of NC?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
my linux machine died this week. That is my linux story

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

animist posted:

sorry

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

animist posted:

(F)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
when suspdish worked for endless, endless was still working on that blob shaped cheap appliance computer, which appears to be mostly memoryholed on their website

the whole thing seems to be a replay of the OLPC grift. nerds who read too much stephenson are all like: "poors need computers too. we charity grifters will deliver special poor-people computers to them. this one weird trick bootstraps third world countries into prosperity!"

then when the hardware angle fails because nobody really wants fake computers, pivot to software. when that goes nowhere, fold, and through it all maintain a studied ignorance of the real roots of global poverty

(lomarf at the endless approach to sec though. at least when OLPC tried to secure linux, it was so good apple hired the dude who designed it)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

BobHoward posted:

when suspdish worked for endless, endless was still working on that blob shaped cheap appliance computer, which appears to be mostly memoryholed on their website

the whole thing seems to be a replay of the OLPC grift. nerds who read too much stephenson are all like: "poors need computers too. we charity grifters will deliver special poor-people computers to them. this one weird trick bootstraps third world countries into prosperity!"

then when the hardware angle fails because nobody really wants fake computers, pivot to software. when that goes nowhere, fold, and through it all maintain a studied ignorance of the real roots of global poverty

(lomarf at the endless approach to sec though. at least when OLPC tried to secure linux, it was so good apple hired the dude who designed it)

thats really interesting

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

and their name, was hans reiser

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

BobHoward posted:

There's also a 1997 Po Bronson book about precisely this, inspirationally called "The First 20 Million Is Always The Hardest". Apparently there's a movie too, didn't know that until I looked up publishing date just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchon
Feb 19, 2015
i think i still have my endless carabiner from when i donated to their kickstarter campaign (lol) for the blob/rocketship computer