Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

If you're playing NGU Industries for the first time, toggling the view (via the button to the left top of the factory view, above your resources) will let you view your current gain/loss per time period. It's great for very quickly figuring out your ratios without getting a sheet of paper out.

Yeah. The Count + Gain/Loss feels like it should be default - I can't imagine not having the gain/loss info there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

battles keep telling me i got killed by the rebel scout even though i definitely killed it and got merced by the second enemy instead. it keeps insulting me and telling me i didn't kill a single enemy :mad:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
NGU Industries feedback:
1. The flavour text when you mouse over something is ridiculously big, covering up an unnecessarily large portion of the screen.
2. The menu with resource production buildings could be divided into sections, for example Basic and Advanced. When you circle a handful of those buildings and go "figure it out yourself"... I didn't feel like figuring it out, to be honest.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

okay i guess i needed to pass an arbitrary threshhold to get the proper text but that's a weird bug

also i agree with basic/advanced splits

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like Industries but I think the open ended nature of it means there's less of a clear path of progression and I feel less compelled to keep poking at it to get to that next level, whatever it is. I guess right now when you boil it down it's the science packs I need to make and should focus on whatever I need to make those science packs. I'm still super early on in Tutorial Island so I'm going to keep plugging away at it but I'm still waiting for that hook that grabs me that keeps me running this on a second monitor for a year+ straight like NGU did. :shepface:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hate this, thanks

e: oh the black thing is its mouth, not a moustache

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Blattdorf posted:

NGU Industries feedback:
1. The flavour text when you mouse over something is ridiculously big, covering up an unnecessarily large portion of the screen.
2. The menu with resource production buildings could be divided into sections, for example Basic and Advanced. When you circle a handful of those buildings and go "figure it out yourself"... I didn't feel like figuring it out, to be honest.

Agree 100% on flavor text and sorting. The tooltips would also benefit from transparency maybe?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i hate this, thanks

e: oh the black thing is its mouth, not a moustache

Nope. It's a moustache. That's Happy Hitler Llama.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bedurndurn posted:

Nope. It's a moustache. That's Happy Hitler Llama.
:same:

seriously was that not what it was supposed to be

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you have the research menu filtered to only stuff you can afford, and buy up everything that you can afford of a particular research so that it vanishes underneath your pointer, the tooltip gets stuck on.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Blattdorf posted:

NGU Industries feedback:

This is terrible and is driving me crazy.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
My current favorite part of NGU Industries is having to mentally slap myself any time a number goes red. Like okay yes, I will run out of metal frames in 2 hours. I will have upgraded everything by then, it's okay to let things run for a little while with something losing stock. I don't have to strip everything out and try to rebalance because research will fix it in five goddamn minutes.

One note: it took me a few minutes to realize there was a second page of research where the actually-affordable steel upgrades lived. Might be worth including a "Hey dumbass there's two pages" tutorial arrow?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SynthesisAlpha posted:

My current favorite part of NGU Industries is having to mentally slap myself any time a number goes red. Like okay yes, I will run out of metal frames in 2 hours. I will have upgraded everything by then, it's okay to let things run for a little while with something losing stock. I don't have to strip everything out and try to rebalance because research will fix it in five goddamn minutes.

One note: it took me a few minutes to realize there was a second page of research where the actually-affordable steel upgrades lived. Might be worth including a "Hey dumbass there's two pages" tutorial arrow?

Yeah actually realizing this has made things better for me. Losing 24 things per second isn't that big of a problem if I have 200k of it and I was going crazy trying to balance everything out on one screen.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Kind of surprised I didn't get a reaction for flagrantly disobeying the tutorial by placing ore here.
If you can, you should track stats on how many people do this.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
NGU Industries: Why is the tier 3 relic so expensive compared to the tier 4 one?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 6, 2021

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
So far it doesn't seem like there's any benefit to doing higher tiers of the isopod? Maybe that's related to features i haven't unlocked yet, or maybe it silently makes rewards on all floors better based on highest floor.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nea posted:

So far it doesn't seem like there's any benefit to doing higher tiers of the isopod? Maybe that's related to features i haven't unlocked yet, or maybe it silently makes rewards on all floors better based on highest floor.

It definitely increases rewards the higher you go. Question remains if it's worth going as high as you can vs just staying somewhere where every fight doesn't take half a minute.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Yeah. I suspect it'll be like NGU where there's value in staying at the highest level you can one shot?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Nea posted:

Yeah. I suspect it'll be like NGU where there's value in staying at the highest level you can one shot?

According to the info currently pinned in the main discord:

quote:

One-shotting things is bad. Combat time gives a linear multiplier to your rewards and they scale with the floor as well. The best floor is the highest one where you don't die.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Aerox posted:

According to the info currently pinned in the main discord:

ah drat this is what i get for not checking discords. can't be assed to join one, i have too many already.

Eh, i might, buti can't find the link

Nea fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 6, 2021

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Nea posted:

ah drat this is what i get for not checking discords. can't be assed to join one, i have too many already.

Eh, i might, buti can't find the link

https://discord.gg/sVdXE2SG

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SynthesisAlpha posted:

teach me how to do this

I hate seeing the red so bad

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah... but it's red.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Here's my trick for avoiding red: Start from the end of the production chain and work backwards until everything is green/white.
Works pretty well

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

A good tip is to use the Active Buildings view and start with what you ultimately want. The menu will populate with the buildings you need as you go down the chain.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

something posted:

wait. why is natively displaying in 1080p considered a troll? am i missing something?

Well, windowed 1080p will not fit 1080p screen, so it feels bit unpolished that way.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

explosivo posted:

Yeah actually realizing this has made things better for me. Losing 24 things per second isn't that big of a problem if I have 200k of it and I was going crazy trying to balance everything out on one screen.

Uh....excuse me. It's called "Number Go Up" Industries, not "Number Go Down Temporarily" Industries

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Half-wit posted:

Uh....excuse me. It's called "Number Go Up" Industries, not "Number Go Down Temporarily" Industries

It's Number Go Up, not Numbers Go Up, you're allowed two have numbers go down if the good number still goes up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

When is the expansion to NGU: NGD where you have to save the universe from yourself by going back to zero in stats coming out?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Lone Goat posted:

It's Number Go Up, not Numbers Go Up, you're allowed two have numbers go down if the good number still goes up.

All numbers are valid and deserve to go up. :colbert:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
NGU Ind: I seem to have unlocked bases/relics with no accompanying tutorial or help logs. Help I don't know what they do

Also trying to purchase the newbie pack button doesn't seem to do anything, even though steam overlay is enabled.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 6, 2021

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
As near as I can tell the Asteroid Base is just a "player decoratable housing" type of thing but the relics seem pretty powerful and require different components to rank up for perma bonuses. I seemed to unlock more relics doing higher level ISOPOD levels, and the higher levels also are giving me T4 science and materials occasionally which is nice because I only have a setup for a trickle of them so far.

I've used the 2 BP slots I have so far to make a "Produce RBY + All Components positive" BP and a "Produce a tiny amount of purple science and all components except copper wire spools" BP

Besides having to blow the map away once in awhile to set up a full map of wire/beacons to make a stockpile for it to run more, this system is working well for me so far.

I will say the thing that seems to destroy my chains the most was upgrading the cog wheel production upgrade, as each level in that cascaded down into requiring a TON more iron bars and ore to be placed while most of the time I only had 1 cog wheel maker to begin with so I can't reduce it's demand any further.

Also 4g PLEASE set Count + Gain/Loss as the default view or let it remember what view I had selected when I open it each time

Scorps fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 6, 2021

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

One thing I would like is for tooltips of buildings to show what the current gain/loss for their given components are. Keeping track of gain/loss is simple enough until you reach multiple pages of buildings and bots and you have to keep switching pages to make sure you're not causing major problems up the supply chain.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah the thing i would like is to be able to see the yield per tile per (time unit) on the tooltip from the map. Like I have mine set on per minute, but when I get 114 of something every 14.73 seconds I can't eyeball it.

Or be able to switch tooltips on things from cost per item to cost over time. I am shocked every single time I place something and my metal frames go red. But I had a 50/min surplus!

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I'll say that Matter Dimensions became playable only after doing a computer-clock-reset cheat. The Inertia tab can be boosted up to 12x for a long time if you do this, and it makes the game a lot more playable. Mostly it makes it more friendly to experimenting / bad resets / other experimenting.

Also, it looks like NGU Industries has a Mac compatibility icon - anyone playing on MacOS? Excited to see it there if so!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I like the idea of NGU Industries but I'm not sure I can actually continue to play it. Getting just a couple technology levels seem to break the chain of every layout I've made so I steadily just replace the actual tech producers with missing resources until I've replaced so many I have to rebuild the entire layout just to keep earning tech items. And that is super unsatisfying and just feels like busy work.

Also testing out the beacons just became more work than it was worth. It's clearly better to use them but the overall bonus seems minor unless you min-max to hell and back and I don't see how to work that out without spending way more time actively playing that it's worth. Which then goes to hell each tech level. For now I've just settled on using them where I can maximize the area around them under a beacon that seems to be worthwhile, for some reason the speed production one doesn't seem to increase speed of a lot of quick producers so I use the efficiency one mostly and the resource reduction one on the tier 2/3 items which quickly ballon like crazy.

The thing I'm going to try next is layouts which produce few tech items but tons of everything else and then leaving that run offline for a long time and then maybe play for 10-15 mins a day by wiping the map clear and only building what I specifically need on the entire map (using stored resources from my overnight production) and then loading the overnight blueprint back and coming back later.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah i have to admit progression is very strange at the moment and it feels way too fiddly pretty much at all times

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

nessin posted:

for some reason the speed production one doesn't seem to increase speed of a lot of quick producers so I use the efficiency one mostly and the resource reduction one on the tier 2/3 items which quickly ballon like crazy.

If you mean ore producers then the speed beacons won't do anything due to the producers being speed capped. I think they're colored differently if they're capped.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I dont find the beacons too difficult to place. Like yeahbyoucm can super optimize them or you can like just haphazardly place them anywhere they tag 3+ resources and they work fine, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aurora posted:

yeah i have to admit progression is very strange at the moment and it feels way too fiddly pretty much at all times

Feeling the same way, sadly. I really like the concept of it but in practice I am not having too much fun making the various numbers go up or feeling much of a draw to obsessively check in on it. It feels much harder to idle in this one, like I went to bed last night and figured I should set something up to run overnight but couldn't decide on what so I just made a bunch of copper and iron bars overnight. I am not sure what the beacons are yet so I should probably press on to start unlocking more stuff to see if that changes my mind.