Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ethnicity exists as social construct and sits around bein social, race exists also as social construct but peeps pretend its biological

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Rime posted:

https://twitter.com/apmd/status/1378326411287482368

I cannot place this accent for the life of me. It's like pseudo-Scot one moment, South African the next, all resting on a foundation of total bullshit... :thunk:

Didn't they invent this guy?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

There is definitely a few distinct phenotypes in the Confucio-sphere that you can recognize. Some Koreans have really powerful jawlines, like jaws that look like bricks. More and more Koreans with that feature are getting plastic surgery to reduce their beautiful jawlines, though.

Ainus have a very, very distinct appearance, but they're also extremely rare outside of hokkaido. Though some hāfus look like Ainus, especially if the non Japanese parent is from the Near East or Arabian penninsula.

Throwing in Southern and Central Viets as well, because they also don't have many East Asian characteristics. They look a lot more Thai, or like pale indonesians.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I think you'll find it's quite easy to tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese with this handy guide distributed in WW2.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 5, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Everyone called the guy I rented an apartment from in china "the korean" because they said he looked like a korean.

"Why do you call him The Korean?"

"He seems like he is a korean"

"Is he korean?"

"I dont know"

"Does he speak with a korean accent or something?"

"No his putonghua is very regular"

"Why do you think he is a korean?"

"Many people say he looks like korean"

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

SerCypher posted:

I think you'll find it's quite easy to tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese with this handy guide distributed in WW2.

Dying at inspecting feet for race science. A thinly veiled excuse to satiate the author's desire to lust over manfeet

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

hakimashou posted:

Everyone called the guy I rented an apartment from in china "the korean" because they said he looked like a korean.

"Why do you call him The Korean?"

"He seems like he is a korean"

"Is he korean?"

"I dont know"

"Does he speak with a korean accent or something?"

"No his putonghua is very regular"

"Why do you think he is a korean?"

"Many people say he looks like korean"

In otherwords, no why.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno about proper testing, but I'd ask friends and had a nearly 100% failure rate. The only time I ever saw a correct guess was when I was at a tourist place in Seoul with a Chinese girlfriend and one of the workers, totally unprompted, started speaking to her in Mandarin. Girlfriend was equally shocked since she'd been in Korea for several years at that point and had never once had someone correctly guess she was Chinese before.

I had several Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese friends in Korea and other than that one time, literally everyone thought they were Korean in every interaction.

There are other ways to guess though--clothes, mainly. Mainlanders have a particular fashion that sticks out. If you're at an airport and see a crowd of olds in neon vests, those are Koreans. Purely on physical features? Nah. Koreans and Sichuanese often look fairly different, but like, Koreans and northeast Chinese? Good luck.

It's analogous to Europe. You might be able to tell Swedes and Greeks apart with a reasonable accuracy rate, but Swedes and Norwegians? I doubt it. People in East Asia don't like to admit it, but they have a long history of interaction and cross-cultural fuckin' just like any other group of neighboring countries and aren't that different from one another.

I made a post 2 years ago about this, there was a quiz online where you could guess if this person was Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, with the majority of choices being Asian American. My Taiwanese kids guessed 8 or 25 correct - meaning they did about as good as rolling a die. They just refused to believe that they did that bad.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

More and more Koreans with that feature are getting plastic surgery to reduce their beautiful jawlines, though.

I remember reading something about how South Korea has pretty astounding rates of people getting plastic surgery and most everybody is getting the same types of adjustments (or however you refer to it), so they are sort of making that old racist trope true in a strange way.

GoutPatrol posted:

I made a post 2 years ago about this, there was a quiz online where you could guess if this person was Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, with the majority of choices being Asian American. My Taiwanese kids guessed 8 or 25 correct - meaning they did about as good as rolling a die. They just refused to believe that they did that bad.

I mean as has been mentioned this is true for lots of areas across the world.
I remember when I was in Israel and Palestine several years back and some of our guides (Palestinians) brought it up a couple of times in passing that it was a problem for the Israelis alot of the time that their efforts to repress Palestinians were actually hindered by the fact that, outside of dress when it comes to conservative Muslim women and Orthodox Jews, you really can't expect to be able to tell the difference between Israelis and Palestinians on appearance alone. One of the guides also claimed to have had some success pretending to be an Italian tourist ("Marco from Roma") on several occasions.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 5, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Randarkman posted:

I remember reading something about how South Korea has pretty astounding rates of people getting plastic surgery and most everybody is getting the same types of adjustments (or however you refer to it), so they are sort of making that old racist trope true in a strange way.

Oh yeah, that's true. There's a particular nosejob Korean women get that gives it away immediately since they all look identical, though Korea is so famous for plastic surgery in East Asia that clinics elsewhere also now do the Korean style.

Like in Chengdu if you saw a medical clinic with "Korea" in the name somewhere, that was plastic surgery.

GoutPatrol posted:

Ya I've had people get really mad when I've said you can't guess with any reliability. It's one of those things I just can't get into the mindset enough to understand. I'm always just like, it's not like I can look at a white dude and tell what country he's from either. It's fine, it literally does not matter at all.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 5, 2021

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LEGOdouMoko/status/1378325706946400257

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
many years ago I spend a few months in..."indo china" basically thailand, lao, vietnam, and cambodia.

At one point I was able to tell people apart. I think my favorite story was asking a lady in Hanoi what she was because she didnt look like vietnamese "granted most viet I know are from the south" She explained her ethnic group was yao or something like that.

I also had a man in Saigon ask if I had german blood due to the shape of my fingers....well my fathers family name is a oddly german one.

I ve been fence sitting on posting a story in this thread because I am a poo poo writter, and its just loving weird.

Basically I lived 3 years in a modern asian country. I met a fellow westerner while I was there.

Turns out we re from the same town but didnt know anyone the same people. Anyway fastword 10 years we are both back in the US.

He ended up marrying a girl from vietnam.

But basically when I was in said country I never really got good at the language, while he was mr smooth talker.

So I am just gonna cut out alot of what started this stupid drama. But I m at a gathering of him and his inlaws. talk get political he gets upset. and before I know it he started busting out his language skills. So amoung a group of people where we are the only westerners and the people there speak viet/english hes talking to me in not viet/english

I cant really follow him, and i start to tell him he siad language that I cant follow and it goes like this.

him Blah blah blah dirka dirka just speak X for me okay?

me "uh uh why?"

him "DO IT!

me " donde esta la biblioteca" etc

Later alone I ask him what the gently caress that was about.

Again skipping alot of poo poo here because I m a bad writter and I still struggle to unpack what the gently caress was going on. Sometime I lean towards it being the family unhappy their daughter didnt marry someone from the old country etc.

He told me he was just setting me up for taste of what he has to deal with.

I had no less than three people at that meeting call/message me asking what we talked about in front of them. and when I tell them "well I dont really know I didnt really understand what he said and the stuff I said back was just giberish" I was not believed and one of the younger male members of the family got rather aggressive about it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

I think though that being Asian American could possibly skew those results in a sense. Quite possible that there's subtle differences in facial expression etc due to upbringing. It would suggest that in pure genetic expression of facial characteristics level there's likely not enough difference to guess individuals with confidence, but could still mean that functionally people can guess right due to some additional factors.

I'd also be interested in seeing a study where they weren't looking at one person, but a group of people. Like a group of 10 Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc. I think you could get some interesting results there, because while with individuals there's going to enough variation to be unsure, if you've got a group of 10 people and 4 of them have a very Korean seeming face you could perhaps more accurately guess. It could give data as to whether people actually are aware of common facial traits between various ethnic groups and just can't tell due to inherent variation between individuals, or if it's really BS.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think the reason people think they can tell is that you CAN often tell when you have other information available, like clothes, haircuts, general attitude. But then they incorrectly believe they're viewing the pure DNA data to access the Han of their target with their ocular patdowns instead of what they're really doing, which is "oh, a buzzcut. mainlander."

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I think the reason people think they can tell is that you CAN often tell when you have other information available, like clothes, haircuts, general attitude. But then they incorrectly believe they're viewing the pure DNA data to access the Han of their target with their ocular patdowns instead of what they're really doing, which is "oh, a buzzcut. mainlander."

Yeah and I think that there's a serious confirmation bias as well. I could walk down the streets in Tokyo and pick people who I was extremely certain were Chinese and Korean, but like you said there's additional info there in the form of clothes et al, and also I'm only noticing the ones who are clearly identifiable. I don't know how many I'm *not* seeing.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i remember someone posting a short doco on chinese fruit shop owners in the deep south usa during the 1960s, well the kids of shop owners had one hella jaw/jowel from speaking with such a southern drawl

imo you definitely need more than just a face to tell apart chinese, japanese, korean, etc. i've been watching this dude film kitchens and chefs of average restaurants in japan
https://youtu.be/8EQ4d2Qz_vY
and i can't tell if this chef is chinese from china, or actually japanese who is a master of the wok.

this also reminds me of an older couple at a chinese restaurant, i assumed the lady was pacific islander or maori and her husband was just a white guy. they were sitting with a chinese guy, and it wasn't until she dead rear end spoke mandarin, explained her parents were from fujian, that i could process this person was actually chinese.

also the chinese guy, which one of you goons decided that rather than being in lockdown with your wife you piss off to another town to go couch surfing and get pissed on moutai with everyone you meet???

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I tend to base my "what nationality is this person" prejudices on things other than facial features.

You mentioned the old people in neon puffer vests = Korean, but my Korean signifier was the weird hiking gear that everybody seened to own/wear when I was over there.

Another example is my friend Rohan. Completely ethnically Tamil. Both of his parents are Tamil, but he was born and raised in the outer suburbs of Melbourne. So just by looking at his face, you can use all the genomic stuff and you would say he in Indian, but if you met him in person, from the way he dresses, carries himself, and talks etc. you can tell that he is Australian.

But, for me at least, stuff like that is harder to quantify. I mean sometimes there are things that you can point to concretely, (neon puffer jacket/hiking gear), but more often than not its some indefinable general impression. The way a mainland buzzcut from Guangzhou holds themselves differently to an investment banker from Hong Kong. Even though they are "ethnically" very similar.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh yeah, that's true. There's a particular nosejob Korean women get that gives it away immediately since they all look identical,

I fuckin hate that sculpt and I was nearly pressured into it as a minor. The totality of the aesthetic standard is gross

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got my shots now and have waited the full effectiveness interval so I went out shopping for the first time in a year.

One of my stops was the big asian grocery store to get lots of good chinese stuff, but in addition to that I also got a japanese product

the name is french for "cock of asses"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Booty Pageant posted:

i remember someone posting a short doco on chinese fruit shop owners in the deep south usa during the 1960s, well the kids of shop owners had one hella jaw/jowel from speaking with such a southern drawl

My wife definitely noticed this. Speaking English vs Mandarin definitely (in our opinions) gives the jawlines a slightly different profile.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

one of the classics

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

:smug: "Couque d'asses"? Hey fellas, "couque d'asses"! Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.

:confused: Well what do you call it?

:smug: Dickbutt!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you can call it whatever you want as long as it has that chocolate filling

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Don't forget these, either:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Glad to hear that the milk in my cream collon is fragrant!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kavros posted:

I fuckin hate that sculpt and I was nearly pressured into it as a minor. The totality of the aesthetic standard is gross

You mean with the skin, eyes and jaw work that leaves you looking like an alien doll?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You mean with the skin, eyes and jaw work that leaves you looking like an alien doll?

loving creepy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I chose a real bad day to see what's happening in the China Thread

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
That is a crime against humanity.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'll take 3

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ok what am I looking at here?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ok what am I looking at here?

jaw bone slices from korean women

sometimes men

ive seen it in person

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Much like the killing fields outside Phnom Penh have a tower of skulls to commemorate the victims of the atrocities, so a plastic surgeon in South Korea has built a tower of “shaved” jawbones.

I’m pretty sure this is a different pic than the one that was posted in a previous version of this thread, so either there’s more than one of these or it’s gotten much bigger since the previous pic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Porfiriato posted:

Much like the killing fields outside Phnom Penh have a tower of skulls to commemorate the victims of the atrocities, so a plastic surgeon in South Korea has built a tower of “shaved” jawbones.

I’m pretty sure this is a different pic than the one that was posted in a previous version of this thread, so either there’s more than one of these or it’s gotten much bigger since the previous pic.

more than one

i mean, peeps live after the surgery tho...

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst we are talking about the evils of Korea's beauty obsession, my big gripes against it that I had during my time there were:

1) Eyelid surgery. I had a girl in my 1st year High School class proudly tell me about how she was going to go under the knife over the holidays, and when she came back next semester everybody was praising her for how "beautiful" she now looked.
2) Fat shaming. You only have to be the slightest bit tubby, and you are a seen as a worthless human being, worthy of naught but scorn and derision.
3) The binary nature of it all. You are either the cutest, most beautiful thing that man has ever laid eyes on, or you are a worthless disgusting hag. There is nothing in between.
which leads to
4) The mathematics, and arbitrariness of it all. There was one specific idea of "beauty", and it had to be mathematically obtained precisely. It didn't matter if it looked good or not, what mattered that it conformed to the measurements that were decided to be acceptable.

Which is why I always told my kids that the most beautiful woman on Korean TV was 신봉선, (Shin Bong Sun). A Comedienne that was deemed too fat, too old, too ugly, and way too loud and opinionated to be a proper female Korean TV star.

My students always told me that I was insane, but stupid loving kids. What do they know

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst we are talking about the evils of Korea's beauty obsession, my big gripes against it that I had during my time there were:

1) Eyelid surgery. I had a girl in my 1st year High School class proudly tell me about how she was going to go under the knife over the holidays, and when she came back next semester everybody was praising her for how "beautiful" she now looked.

I also just had a kid go under the knife for double eyelid surgery. All of the teachers were perplexed about why they felt like they needed to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its to sell poo poo

also plastic surgery lol

korea heavily overproduces doctors which means that market competition for elective stuff is ridiculous and they specifically try to induce demand

theres also the alienation and isolation of modern life and employment, which peeps try to alleviate by getting basically human capital improvement projects done as human capital improvement projects

this goes double for sex work peeps

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 6, 2021