Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You should take Romania from the pechenegs because holy gently caress romanian (vlach) rulers have good hats by default.

Also some of them are still slavic in 1066 if you want a hard mode run.

The character graphics and dressing up my dudes in culturally-appropriate medieval garb make up for a lot of CK3's early shortcomings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I did it!

Also:

Sweden (what's left of it) also converted

Somehow there were two Khazarias for a while

and for some reason my dynasty now has ten billion cadet branches

ugliest borders imaginable

U

Guess I'll have to unite the Slavs or something until the Mongols show up

I changed to Clan from Tribal. Which has the downside of me longer being a Tsar but a Grand Patriarch and also having troops raised for more than a couple of weeks bankrupts me really fast because I have all these big groups of expensive men at arms and now they cost money instead of prestige to maintain. I guess I need to build a bunch of tax increasing buildings in my own counties to balance it out.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 4, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
After playing some of Total War Three Kingdoms I do wish for a diplomacy allowing for more varied and personality-based diplomacy in CK3. Like when Cao Cao, being slightly more powerful than me, says sure I'll become your vassal if you grant me 4 territories and some money. Or Lui Bei being a really friendly dude asking to invite other people to our coalition all the time. CK3 kinda doesn't have moments like this for other rulers, you only get something similar for your vassals. You never look at your neighbour and think "this dude wants my military help but he'll ignore our alliance if I need help", or "this new ruler is zealous, he'll holywar me when fhe succession crisis is over" or anything like that.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Vlad's Second Choice seems bugged for me :(

Hell, I haven't even left tribal norse yet.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 4, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What does Dr jure Russia look like

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
convert to Russian? You’ve still got the Norse name it gives you for Russia

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Trip report: after fighting through some vicious vassal rebellions, I finally unified Iberia (and, for that matter, the Maghreb) under the enlightened rule of the Jimena, and completed the Reconquista to boot. I've got about 120 years left in the game, so I guess all I have to do now is max out my renown, discover every invention, strengthen my bloodline, found a Catholic nudist sex cult, and make it to the end of the game! Easy peasy!

I'm finding I'm having trouble with the combat in this game compared to the building and learning and murdering. It just seems to take a whole lot of micromanagement to juggle supply limits and not bankrupting yourself and also chasing down your enemies one army at a time instead of letting them form a doomstack. Any recommendations on where I should start my next game to better learn how to crush my enemies?

Also, Norse Lords: worth a purchase or no?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I don't know which decision I took, but there's no longer an option to form the Russian Empire and the de jure map only shows my clan. I also moved the capital to Constantinople.

Funny enough, I got the Land of the Rus achievement in Constantinople under the clan empire. By the conditions on the wiki it seems like I should have been fine for 2nd choice. Aw well.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

was your king astru when you converted? i know rurik's son you start with has the unreformed slavic faith

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was Slovenian pagan for several generations before I converted and still got the achievement

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Raskolnikov38 posted:

convert to Russian? You’ve still got the Norse name it gives you for Russia

You can do it as Norse culture, I think the one ukonsko province below the baltics might be part of de jure Russia? Cause you can definitely do it if the branches of Islam are different

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Can I gently caress the pope? For some reason this is now very important to me because I thought about it.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Can I gently caress the pope? For some reason this is now very important to me because I thought about it.

you absolutely can

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the medieval popes loved to gently caress

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

was your king astru when you converted? i know rurik's son you start with has the unreformed slavic faith

Yeah I forced his rear end to convert just to be safe.

It was pretty easy otherwise so I might just try another time or maybe it’ll be patched?

e: don't know what happened but the conditions for second choice were met. :confused:

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 5, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

The Mattybee posted:

you absolutely can
Original poster, please add "you can gently caress the pope!" to the FAQ at the start of the thread.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've got Ultimogeniture, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to nominate a grandkid as heir? I know I can't skip a generation, but doing a trial-save-scumm and executing the dad and/or mum only results in less heir options, rather than the grandkids being presented in their parent's place. Help?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Second youngest son beats third youngest son beats eldest son beats any grandchild I think. And of the grandchildren, children of the youngest will beat children of older sons.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doing a multiplayer game with a friend. I'm Sicily/Sardinia/Italy/Romagna he's Croatia. I just formed Italia and switched to feudal elective so we could take turns being emperor but looks like he can't vote despite being the only one in the realm beside me with a king level title. Is it just because he isn't de jure?

Sidenote:
The continent used to be dominated by a mega Lothrangia which owned almost all of the Karling kingdoms but then the old king died and the realm got fractured and now it's run by a malnourished chronically broke leper and central Europe looks like a quilt sewn by a blind drunk. My friend did a Kingdom invasion for Bavaria but while he was at it Lothrangia lost almost the entire area to independence revolts including the kingdom of Bavaria (which is now a decent bit north than actual geographical Bavaria). So he got less than a third of the land he declared for. Just a sprawl of tiny countries with a wizened husk of Lothrangia snaking it's way alongside it. Alas Burgundy is pretty strong and stable and is set to inherit when the leper king dies (soon).

The Danelaw has three counties left, one in England, one in Scotland, and a capital in Slovenia. It's ruled by an albino Varangian who has less combat prowess than his 1 year old sister.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 6, 2021

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Best Friends posted:

Second youngest son beats third youngest son beats eldest son beats any grandchild I think. And of the grandchildren, children of the youngest will beat children of older sons.
The eligible children of your youngest eligible child should take precedence over your older children.

If you have the heir designation law, you can only designate one of your immediate children as your heir.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Serephina posted:

I've got Ultimogeniture, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to nominate a grandkid as heir? I know I can't skip a generation, but doing a trial-save-scumm and executing the dad and/or mum only results in less heir options, rather than the grandkids being presented in their parent's place. Help?

Which grandchild is it that's becoming your heir? Which child of yours was their parent?

Ultimogeniture tries to pass it down to the youngest possible child in the tree. Doesn't matter who their parents were.

If you're trying to pass it down to the child of your dead eldest child, you want primogeniture.

If you're trying to pass it to anyone in between, you need elective.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 6, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

No Pants posted:

If you have the heir designation law, you can only designate one of your immediate children as your heir.

Thanks guys, this ended up being the issue after closer inspection. 40+ grandkids, but could only pick a single generation down. Still better than ck2 where I'd just have to kill them all!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I downloaded a mod which shows some extra info such a weight etc, and it disturbingly only show fertility up to 100%, implying that there's a cap. Have I misunderstood the mechanic? I've really been prioritizing that attribute for heirs/spouses.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know why you'd prioritize it, it's not particularly useful, and there's very easy bonuses to pick up if you have a penalty to it for some reason.

Is there a mod that teaches the AI to use MaA and not bankrupt themselves by raising all their levies for every war yet? Boy it would be nice to see some actually threatening Mongols

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah I kept getting so many kids I'd have trouble keeping track or even caring who was who without really trying. It's made me really appreciate all the goofy finger-on-the-scale things ck2 did with fertility to make it so that families stayed mostly on the smaller side, even if it was unrealistic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They should just ramp up infant mortality by 50-70%

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yeah I can’t remember the last time I had sickly infant that actually died instead of recovering

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah I can’t remember the last time I had sickly infant that actually died instead of recovering

Going by health values, sickly infant is almost as bad as cancer, it's just that babies are born with a lot of health.

I'm not sure I like the idea of significantly increased infant mortality (last thing I need is the family tree clogged up with tons of dead infants), but fertility is rather easy to get in CK3 compared to CK2.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

With elective it doesnt matter, just find the best one regardless of who,s son he is and elect him.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sekenr posted:

With elective it doesnt matter, just find the best one regardless of who,s son he is and elect him.

I am not letting my kingdom being picked by humans, my blood is divine right damnit.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/jon_snow_420/status/1380010281808449538

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

god I wish I could tell my player heirs to stop being dumbasses over the succession. no helgi/oleg you don’t need to kill your half brother for a worthless county because a. You’re inheriting a kingdom and b. Your intrigue is 2, you get caught everytime and then I have to deal with every rukrid vassal hating you

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am not letting my kingdom being picked by humans, my blood is divine right damnit.

just lol if your family can be described as human after the first two generations. Someone from my dynasty will succeed me because the entire North Sea Empire is run by my several hundred strong clan of space marines.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god I wish I could tell my player heirs to stop being dumbasses over the succession. no helgi/oleg you don’t need to kill your half brother for a worthless county because a. You’re inheriting a kingdom and b. Your intrigue is 2, you get caught everytime and then I have to deal with every rukrid vassal hating you

I recently had a game where three straight generations of kings all managed to get the "incestuous" trait before I took control of them. That not only made successions rough with a -15 opinion penalty I couldn't get rid of with an indulgence, but also, in two of those cases, wrecked alliances by cucking foreign kings I'd married their sisters off to.

My sons, I beg of you, please stop loving your sisters.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

One of the many things I think the game could really benefit from is tracking what characters are trying to accomplish at any given moment ("why are you executing fellow dynasts", "why are you trying to murder people for seemingly no reason?", "why are you trying to seduce your aunt?", and who they hate and who they like), and sticking that poo poo on the succession screen. Would at least help me sympathize with these morons for their nonsensical schemes.

And then while they're at it make the AI prioritize consolidating their de jure lands for fucks sake.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Pakled posted:

I recently had a game where three straight generations of kings all managed to get the "incestuous" trait before I took control of them. That not only made successions rough with a -15 opinion penalty I couldn't get rid of with an indulgence, but also, in two of those cases, wrecked alliances by cucking foreign kings I'd married their sisters off to.

My sons, I beg of you, please stop loving your sisters.

Maybe you shouldn't have made them all comely robust geniuses with the occasional touch of inbreeding

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

PittTheElder posted:

And then while they're at it make the AI prioritize consolidating their de jure lands for fucks sake.

Also this, why isn't this what they default to. Stop making my empire look like stupid spaghetti before even consolidating your own rule

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Also this, why isn't this what they default to. Stop making my empire look like stupid spaghetti before even consolidating your own rule

My internal borders looking like Gerrymandered voting districts in the South the second I hand it over to the AI to rule (because I don’t want to eat the opinion malus from having too many duchies) sucks rear end.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
There was that one time where i discovered my sisters secret. Apparently she was banging me and i just found out via discreet whispers. Come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
one of my kings got gay sex as a treatment for an illness

It worked but made me a deviant so when i reformed the faith i made homosexual relations legal because come on that dick saved my life thank you 60 year old lunatic shaman