Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I really, really hope they can nail the item naming in 4. Still the coolest thing to me about 2 are the names of the items, how they create this lore without anything else but just the titles themselves. Yet another source of letdown in 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Playing 2 again rubs salt in the wound that was 3.

3 is so... polished and samey. I love that items and elements have a janky FEEL to them in 2.

Unlimited remaps, all damage based on weapon DPS, all elements more or less the same, mainstat powering everything, resists not being capped, it's just so far from the mechanics that gave D2 such a great feel.

To say nothing of the art and atmosphere.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Wonder how many here are playing PD2? I'm messing around as a summon necro, but planning to eventually split into a poison necro once I get stuff. Would be fun to just mess around together and whatnot.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

codo27 posted:

I really, really hope they can nail the item naming in 4. Still the coolest thing to me about 2 are the names of the items, how they create this lore without anything else but just the titles themselves. Yet another source of letdown in 3.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

codo27 posted:

Still the coolest thing to me about 2 are the names of the items, how they create this lore without anything else but just the titles themselves.

Like the Buriza-do Kyanon which informs us that blizzard is full of weebs.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Mymla posted:

Like the Buriza-do Kyanon which informs us that blizzard is full of weebs.

I'll never forget the day I picked up The Diggler, getting a bit of a chuckle before selling it.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

LordOfTheNoobs posted:

Wonder how many here are playing PD2? I'm messing around as a summon necro, but planning to eventually split into a poison necro once I get stuff. Would be fun to just mess around together and whatnot.

Im owning it up as a 90 WW barb. Aside from the server issues its been a lot of fun

bishibosh posted:

for the people playing PD2 right now, what do you think of the martial arts assassin changes? the chargeup skill changes seem a bit much, not sure why I'd use finishing moves now instead of just spamming the chargeup skills

I don't think you're really supposed to use finishers now, at least that was the impression I got. They're just kind of built into the skills with the different charge stages

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What are people's thoughts on Treachery vs Lionheart for a Strafe Bowazon?

I think I'd rather have a permanent 30% resist all than an occasional 60% resist all, but it's harder for me to assess whether the 45% IAS is better than the added raw damage and stats of the Lionheart. To complicate matters I had to respec my stats at level 39 to get my dex and strength high enough to equip a matriarchal bow with Harmony; so I'm currently running around act 1 of nightmare (just finished Countess) with 45 Vitality at level 43 which makes me a tad nervous (pretty much everything dies well before it reaches me but a stray frost nova on enemy death can wipe out 80% of my health). I'm also lacking a source of life leech at the moment because I've had to equip a bunch of stat boosting jewellery to get my stats where they needed to be; so the added stats of Lionheart would definitely help in the sense that I can equip other items that have other useful effects. But 45% IAS is so incredibly juicy though...

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If this is non-modded then probably treachery.

You could go look up frames per attack (FPA) numbers for the kind of bow you are using and see what IAS values matter.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Khorne posted:

If this is non-modded then probably treachery.

You could go look up frames per attack (FPA) numbers for the kind of bow you are using and see what IAS values matter.

Harmony on a matriarchal bow. Playing single player with PlugY.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
My best solo hell difficulty build was a "can kill anything, eventually" frenzy barb with two mid tier runeword 2H swords dual wielded.

I can't remember all the gear, but I had high lifesteal/manasteal rare rings, and as much "chance to cast on strike" on all my gear outside of weapons, with crushing blow as my second most wanted affix/suffix.

I know for a fact my 2 swords, because they felt badass. In a single player lobby at least.

Ethereal balrog blade: runeword: Oath (Shael + Pul + Mal + Lum)
30% Chance To Cast Level 20 Bone Spirit On Striking
Indestructible
+50% Increased Attack Speed
+210-340% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+75% Damage To Demons
+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Energy
+10-15 Magic Absorb (varies)
Level 16 Heart Of Wolverine (20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14 Charges)

The attack speed and damage are huge, and it's indestructible so you can make it in an ethereal base for +50% damage and no downside. It hits FAST AND HARD with frenzy buffs, and the bone spirit is some nice chip damage against physical immunes.

Collosus sword: runeword: Voice of Reason (Lem + Ko + El + Eld)
15% Chance To Cast Level 13 Frozen Orb On Striking
18% Chance To Cast Level 20 Ice Blast On Striking
+50 To Attack Rating
+220-350% Damage To Demons
+355-375% Damage To Undead (varies)
+50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
Adds 100-220 Cold Damage
-24% To Enemy Cold Resistance
+10 To Dexterity
Cannot Be Frozen
75% Extra Gold From Monsters
+1 To Light Radius

Another weapon with massive damage % mods. It's "only" against undead and demons, but having both together will cover most of the things you want to hit and make dead. The chance to cast cold spells and -24% enemy cold res is a huge benefit against phys immune enemies. Cannot be frozen is rare on a weapon, and frees up your armor slots since you don't have to include that somewhere else.

Both of these runewords are difficult but not impossible to assemble solo. Mal is the highest rune I think, and you can get that from countess runs (Ist and Lo are the part where it really drops off I think?). They are magnitudes of droprate lower than the high runes you need for something like Breath of the Dying or Doom. That was my biggest reason for trying this build. They have maxed out damage (and oath has 50% attack speed and +50% damage since you can put it in an ethereal base!) but require no truly high runes. Finding a pair of worthy base swords will probably take longer than getting the runes.

My other slots, that I can remember at least

Lava Gout gauntlets
2% chance to cast lvl 10 Enchant on striking
nice attack rating bonus, and tiny bits of fire damage to wear down otherwise immune enemies.

I think my body armor was a double-upped Rattlecage because crushing blow is good in a build like this.

Gore Rider boots, for crushing blow/bleed/crit on attacks.

It's really fun to play, frenzy at max skillpoints gives you insane attack speed and movement speed. All your "chance to cast" items will be going off constantly, you're making GBS threads frozen orbs and bone spirits and god knows what else all over the loving place all the time. You move between enemies and rooms almost as fast a teleporting sorceress.

Most of my charms were for resists, since I was jamming all the "chance to cast" items I could into every slot and didn't have to worry about cannot be frozen since one of the runeword weapons covers that.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 18, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

Harmony on a matriarchal bow. Playing single player with PlugY.

A Matriarchal Bow has a base weapon speed of [-10]

The Strafe IAS breakpoints for a [-10] weapon are as follows:

pre:
0% IAS       13/3
2% IAS       12/3
13% IAS      11/3
15% IAS      10/3
37% IAS       9/3
60% IAS       9/2
80% IAS       8/2
how to read this chart:

* if you only have the 45% IAS all by itself, and no other sources of IAS, then you'll have passed the 37% IAS breakpoint, which means the first shot of your Strafe will take 9 frames to run (the number to the left of the slash), and every succeeding shot will take 3 frames to run (the number of the right of the slash)

* your Strafe will not get any faster until and unless you get to the next breakpoint, which is 60% IAS. Since you already have 45% IAS, then you need another 15% IAS from somewhere else

* the next breakpoint after that is 80% IAS... but practically that's not really that important to chase after since it's only reducing the first attack by one frame

References:

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Matriarchal_Bow
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/new-updated-strafe-ias-breakpoints.183692/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

A Matriarchal Bow has a base weapon speed of [-10]

The Strafe IAS breakpoints for a [-10] weapon are as follows:

pre:
0% IAS       13/3
2% IAS       12/3
13% IAS      11/3
15% IAS      10/3
37% IAS       9/3
60% IAS       9/2
80% IAS       8/2
how to read this chart:

* if you only have the 45% IAS all by itself, and no other sources of IAS, then you'll have passed the 37% IAS breakpoint, which means the first shot of your Strafe will take 9 frames to run (the number to the left of the slash), and every succeeding shot will take 3 frames to run (the number of the right of the slash)

* your Strafe will not get any faster until and unless you get to the next breakpoint, which is 60% IAS. Since you already have 45% IAS, then you need another 15% IAS from somewhere else

* the next breakpoint after that is 80% IAS... but practically that's not really that important to chase after since it's only reducing the first attack by one frame

References:

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Matriarchal_Bow
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/new-updated-strafe-ias-breakpoints.183692/

Ok. I already have 10% IAS from my gloves, so that puts me at 55% IAS if I get treachery. So if I understand you correctly what I’d be doing is increasing the speed of the first shot of the Strafe by 25% but not doing anything for the other shots. That seems like a fairly minimal bonus to me. I had thought I’d actually be shooting 45% more arrows over time. So Treachery is really only useful if I was using it to get my Strafe over the 60% breakpoint. That might be something I’d go for down the line but I have no immediate ability to do it.

And I’d be giving up substantial bonuses to stats that I feel like I need - having 30 vitality at the moment makes me feel super vulnerable. I don’t get hit often but even a frost nova from killing a unique is enough to drop me to about 10% health.

I’m currently using a viper Magi armour, so one way or another I’d be losing my magic damage reduction which would exacerbate the situation.

Sounds like I need to go with Lionheart. I don’t think I’d be able to proc the fade very often since I’m actively trying not to let anything hit me; I need resists, I’d get a big chunk of extra life and I can stop using some of the items that I’ve got equiped just to boost my stats so I can equip the bow I’m using - for example I’d be able to equip my dwarf star when I hit 45; and swap out my 19% resist all/+15 strength amulet for a 19% resist all/ +2 passive and magic skills amulet I have.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the thing about Diablo 2 is that since it's a 2D, sprite-based game, the animations are discrete, so you can't "speed up" animations by an arbitrary amount, since you're limited by how many frames of animation actually exist, which is why attack speed increases work on a level that's completely divorced from what the raw numbers might make you think they do just going by their intuitive meaning

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

WITCHCRAFT posted:

My best solo hell difficulty build was a "can kill anything, eventually" frenzy barb with two mid tier runeword 2H swords dual wielded.

I can't remember all the gear, but I had high lifesteal/manasteal rare rings, and as much "chance to cast on strike" on all my gear outside of weapons, with crushing blow as my second most wanted affix/suffix.

I know for a fact my 2 swords, because they felt badass. In a single player lobby at least.

Ethereal balrog blade: runeword: Oath (Shael + Pul + Mal + Lum)
30% Chance To Cast Level 20 Bone Spirit On Striking
Indestructible
+50% Increased Attack Speed
+210-340% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+75% Damage To Demons
+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Energy
+10-15 Magic Absorb (varies)
Level 16 Heart Of Wolverine (20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14 Charges)

The attack speed and damage are huge, and it's indestructible so you can make it in an ethereal base for +50% damage and no downside. It hits FAST AND HARD with frenzy buffs, and the bone spirit is some nice chip damage against physical immunes.

Collosus sword: runeword: Voice of Reason (Lem + Ko + El + Eld)
15% Chance To Cast Level 13 Frozen Orb On Striking
18% Chance To Cast Level 20 Ice Blast On Striking
+50 To Attack Rating
+220-350% Damage To Demons
+355-375% Damage To Undead (varies)
+50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
Adds 100-220 Cold Damage
-24% To Enemy Cold Resistance
+10 To Dexterity
Cannot Be Frozen
75% Extra Gold From Monsters
+1 To Light Radius

Another weapon with massive damage % mods. It's "only" against undead and demons, but having both together will cover most of the things you want to hit and make dead. The chance to cast cold spells and -24% enemy cold res is a huge benefit against phys immune enemies. Cannot be frozen is rare on a weapon, and frees up your armor slots since you don't have to include that somewhere else.

Both of these runewords are difficult but not impossible to assemble solo. Mal is the highest rune I think, and you can get that from countess runs (Ist and Lo are the part where it really drops off I think?). They are magnitudes of droprate lower than the high runes you need for something like Breath of the Dying or Doom. That was my biggest reason for trying this build. They have maxed out damage (and oath has 50% attack speed and +50% damage since you can put it in an ethereal base!) but require no truly high runes. Finding a pair of worthy base swords will probably take longer than getting the runes.

My other slots, that I can remember at least

Lava Gout gauntlets
2% chance to cast lvl 10 Enchant on striking
nice attack rating bonus, and tiny bits of fire damage to wear down otherwise immune enemies.

I think my body armor was a double-upped Rattlecage because crushing blow is good in a build like this.

Gore Rider boots, for crushing blow/bleed/crit on attacks.

It's really fun to play, frenzy at max skillpoints gives you insane attack speed and movement speed. All your "chance to cast" items will be going off constantly, you're making GBS threads frozen orbs and bone spirits and god knows what else all over the loving place all the time. You move between enemies and rooms almost as fast a teleporting sorceress.

Most of my charms were for resists, since I was jamming all the "chance to cast" items I could into every slot and didn't have to worry about cannot be frozen since one of the runeword weapons covers that.

I like to use Atmas Scarab for the chance to cast amp on both frenzy barbs and bowazons

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anybody have any advice on how to progress in PoD as a bowazon? Here's my dude. https://pathofdiablo.com/p/armory/?name=Larrymer

I have about 11 ooc for trade stuff and maybe a gul but not sure where to go. I have a tal's and andy's helm in my stash and only 1 passive and 1 bow skills GC. Right now damage seems lacking and I can't do much more than hell cows farming wise. Even then it's a bit slow.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

Anybody have any advice on how to progress in PoD as a bowazon? Here's my dude. https://pathofdiablo.com/p/armory/?name=Larrymer

I have about 11 ooc for trade stuff and maybe a gul but not sure where to go. I have a tal's and andy's helm in my stash and only 1 passive and 1 bow skills GC. Right now damage seems lacking and I can't do much more than hell cows farming wise. Even then it's a bit slow.

Hit up the PoD trade site and grab a Windforce, they are very cheap for failed corruptions.

You wont be attacking that fast, but you'll be hitting much harder.

Then after that, work towards getting a Lo rune to make some Fortitude runeword chest armor for the damage bonus.

Bowazons get notoriously poor scaling on their skills so you are usually better off stacking +damage/attack rating charms than +skill grand charms.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
You can also do the ice arrow mavina's set build until you find better gear to do physical damage with.

E: oops, thought that question was about pd2

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If anyone is playing East Ladder Softcore, hit me up, I got some nice torches and Annis I need to get rid of.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Has anyone else encountered an issue where your merc becomes locked in one spot, and then won’t move/can’t interact with his inventory until you trigger a map transition with a town portal or a teleport or some such thing?

It’s never happened to me until last night where it suddenly happened a bunch of times. I’d also just started using frenzy on my barb so I wonder if it’s linked to the increased movement speed screwing with the AI? Or possibly using leap to navigate around the early parts of Act 3 better; although I was using leap a bunch in the arcane sanctuary without an issue.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Has anyone else encountered an issue where your merc becomes locked in one spot, and then won’t move/can’t interact with his inventory until you trigger a map transition with a town portal or a teleport or some such thing?

It’s never happened to me until last night where it suddenly happened a bunch of times. I’d also just started using frenzy on my barb so I wonder if it’s linked to the increased movement speed screwing with the AI? Or possibly using leap to navigate around the early parts of Act 3 better; although I was using leap a bunch in the arcane sanctuary without an issue.

Probably a desync. Having over 150% frw causes them pretty reliably, among other things.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Probably a desync. Having over 150% frw causes them pretty reliably, among other things.

I’m playing single player.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m playing single player.
Doesn't matter. D2 uses client:server even in single player. Monster positions are almost always wrong in d2. Player/merc are frequently off by a bit unless you're teleporting constantly.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 5, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Khorne posted:

Doesn't matter. D2 uses client:server even in single player. Monster positions are almost always wrong in d2. Player/merc are frequently off by a bit unless you're teleporting constantly.

That's unusual, so it sets up a client and a server on my PC?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Lord Bude posted:

Actually really common in videogames, generally what is called a 'Listen server' versus a 'Dedicated server'. Its just most games don't do that if you're in purely "single player" mode, but Diablo doesn't care.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes, but it's all running in a single process and not exposed to the outside world. Minecraft does something similar. This type of architecture is common for fps games but does happen occasionally in other genres.

It stands out a bit more in D2 because the netcode isn't great when it comes to syncing entity positions.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 5, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's very interesting. I noticed the issue only seems to happen when I walk rather than run - my barb is the first time I'd ever turned run off, because of how fast frenzy is, and I discovered my defence is zero when running, which I'd never known (is that all the time or just when actually moving - when I stop to do an attack animation does that bring my defence back?). so now I'm awkwardly trying to switch to walk for mobs then back to run.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 6, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

It's very interesting. I noticed the issue only seems to happen when I walk rather than run - my barb is the first time I'd ever turned run off, because of how fast frenzy is, and I discovered my defence is zero when running, which I'd never known (is that all the time or just when actually moving - when I stop to do an attack animation does that bring my defence back?). so now I'm awkwardly trying to switch to walk for mobs then back to run.

yuppers. its why ya walk while charging, etc. this was key in the dueling scene vs guided arrow amazons =D

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Smythe posted:

yuppers. its why ya walk while charging, etc. this was key in the dueling scene vs guided arrow amazons =D

I don't do pvp, but doesn't guided arrow always hit no matter what or is that only in PvM?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't do pvp, but doesn't guided arrow always hit no matter what or is that only in PvM?

yea it always hits, but you can block it. sorry i was conflating things in my rotted old brain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
as a Diablo 2 Paladin guide once said: white man runs, black man walks

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Diablo 2 was designed to be a way slower paced game than it ended up being.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I blame the Sorceress and the resulting arms race.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still cant believe you can only walk in the first game

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

codo27 posted:

It's so incredibly painful, particularly the long walk from where town portals drop you off into the main part of town. You always used to dread having to make the long trek to Adria's cottage.

Whereas now even regular diablo 2 running speed feels slow to me; I've been spoiled by having a Bowazon with a vigor aura courtesy of Harmony.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I played D2 first, so when I got the battle chest (cause I first played the game pirated) and installed D1 to try, I walked into a house, jabbed a barrel with my staff which killed me, then promptly uninstalled the game forever

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My quitting D1 point: I made it about 4 floors deep and died to the butcher, then realized I'd never saved the game prior to that point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jiggerypokery posted:

Diablo 2 was designed to be a way slower paced game than it ended up being.

Its funny looking back on how I played D2 as a kid when it first came out. Clearing out EVERY pointless little mob of every single dungeon. Took ages just to reach Hell.

codo27 posted:

I've been replaying D1 for nostalgia and most of the game surprisingly holds up well, the game balance is different than D2 but it works and is pretty satisfying to build up.

But holy poo poo that walk speed is so slow. Especially in town its excruciating.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

My quitting D1 point: I made it about 4 floors deep and died to the butcher, then realized I'd never saved the game prior to that point.

The butcher is actually on floor 2; the difficulty of that particular quest was absolutely hosed, especially if you weren't playing a warrior, or expecting it. And his cleaver that he drops sucked. You were always happy when you got the King Leoric Quest or something instead.

Diablo 1 did have a charm to it - when I first played it, I realised it was like nothing I'd ever played before, and it was a very different sort of game. You can see the roguelike elements - The quests chosen randomly from a larger pool, the shrines where you had no idea what they'd do until you used them (and they often did permanent things to you), the spells that you had to learn by finding or buying books, the entirely found/bought items - I love runewords but it's a very different sort of game design (some might argue bad game design)to have a system that is entirely dependant on you looking information up outside of the game (I love theorycrafting depth and doing heaps of research on builds and gear and stuff which is a big reason why diablo 3 sucked for me).

Diablo 1 had a particular type of zombie called a black death that was relatively rare - often you wouldn't have one spawn in your games at all, but if it did, you'd see them as early as level 4. Every time they hit you you'd lose max health permanently.

The entire concept of the game was cool, going down deeper and deeper in one dungeon, progressing from church cellars to catacombs to caves to hell. And the whole presentation of music and atmospherics and art design was superb.

I never got that far as a kid but as an adult I picked it up again in 2005 and finished it over a weekend. Diablo 2 is a vastly better game and still the best in the genre, but I think Diablo 1 is well worth playing through if you haven't done so, especially if you have any interest at all in game history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

as a Diablo 2 Paladin guide once said: white man runs, black man walks

wisdom