Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s time to repost this parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lCMNNoT9dY

Subtitles are there if you need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

joat mon posted:

I'd like to read up on this, do you have a recommended source/cite where I could start?

I really liked this book

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1906500.McMafia

The section on Russia talks about the dismantling of the state and how that led to the security services becoming a Mafia. I don't have anything better than that though

Re: navalny, I can't find any indication he's ever had more than 20% support and mostly a lot lower than that. Is there something I'm missing?

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 6, 2021

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal

joat mon posted:

I'd like to read up on this, do you have a recommended source/cite where I could start?

This doesn't directly address the topic you quoted, but I liked Red Notice.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The sheer scale of humanitarian tragedy that accompanied the fall of the Soviet Union in Russia really can't be overemphasized. Life expectancy fell from 70 in 1987 (compared to 75 in the US) a full five years to 65 in 1994, with the life expectancy of men in particular plummeting all the way to 57. Putin's a monster in his own right, but it's also understandable why many Russians prefer the relative peace and stability of his regime compared to the unrest and disaster of the preceding two decades.

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011
Isn't Navalny more of an anti-corruption activist than a politician?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1379395445299019782

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1379393476404580352?s=20

While this is no doubt a good thing I really hope that a) every eligible adult DOES get a goddamn shot and b) we continue to manufacture and export vaccines to the rest of the world for free because this isn’t anywhere close to the end for so many places.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Not really, the availability keeps opening up because everyone who wants the vaccine already got it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Chrrnobyl got him in the end :(

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-56649661

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have clients that genuinely believe the vaccine has killed people in their community when those people just died from covid. Florida has been so massively under-testing/under-reporting deaths that people in red areas simply do not believe that covid is real. The vaccines are dangerous, and I'm not sure that it's possible to convince them otherwise without major cult deprogramming.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Not really, the availability keeps opening up because everyone who wants the vaccine already got it

Yeah, I’m worried that all these chuds refusing to get vaccinated will cause a variant to pop up that the vaccines weren’t ready for.

I’ve also noticed a trend of people, some of whom have lost close family members to COVID, are rallying around the “this vaccine is possible because of stem cells so I’m religiously exempt from taking it.” Any argument to the contrary triggers “Christian persecution” to these idiots.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Found out Saturday that my ultra conservative, estranged Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin living in the FL panhandle not only got covid, but my Aunt passed away.

I guarantee you they never wanted the vaccine nor believed that covid was real until approx 2 weeks ago when they both hit ventilators.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If boomers want to die of covid, let them die.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carteret posted:

Found out Saturday that my ultra conservative, estranged Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin living in the FL panhandle not only got covid, but my Aunt passed away.

I guarantee you they never wanted the vaccine nor believed that covid was real until approx 2 weeks ago when they both hit ventilators.

There's been some very disturbing stories from nurses and doctors dealing with people dying from covid who are still deeply in denial about covid being real - some of them realizing that they're dying of a disease they fervently insisted didn't exist.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Cythereal posted:

There's been some very disturbing stories from nurses and doctors dealing with people dying from covid who are still deeply in denial about covid being real - some of them realizing that they're dying of a disease they fervently insisted didn't exist.

Are you sure you meant disturbing? Sounds "fitting" or even "hilarious"

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

Net positive for the gene pool. But holy poo poo is this insane and disturbing. I have empathy for them in the end, life’s precious. Theirs, not so much but it’s still sad.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The gf and I flew into south Alabama for a funeral a few weeks back. The first thing the pastor said to my gf was that we don't need masks cuz this is Alabama. Other highlights included the other preacher involved talking about how masks and vaccines are a cult that Christians need to fight, holding a massive bbq buffet as the after service party, and one of the pastors using the service itself to mock democrats and praise Trump.

I feel like we should carve out some sort of large federal territory somewhere (like do we really need two dakotas or two carolinas?) for these assholes. They can live free according to their traditional culture in their reserved land and the rest of is can live without them ruining everything.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nuclear War posted:

Are you sure you meant disturbing? Sounds "fitting" or even "hilarious"

I bet those nurses are laughing their asses off watching people die.

Edit:

TheWeedNumber posted:

Net positive for the gene pool. But holy poo poo is this insane and disturbing. I have empathy for them in the end, life’s precious. Theirs, not so much but it’s still sad.

Stating for the record that you think that this distinction is motivated by genetics and that those who have been fallen into an ideological belief at odds with objective truth have done so due to an inheritable trait and genealogical weakness that could have been avoided by better breeding. Interesting.

piL fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 6, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have clients that genuinely believe the vaccine has killed people in their community when those people just died from covid. Florida has been so massively under-testing/under-reporting deaths that people in red areas simply do not believe that covid is real. The vaccines are dangerous, and I'm not sure that it's possible to convince them otherwise without major cult deprogramming.

It isn't just Florida with this. Sister-in-law that lives in California works with all right wingers. They convinced her somehow that the vaccine was bad and produced from the dead bodies of aborted babies. We need more than deprogramming.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TheWeedNumber posted:

People as a whole are not smart. Individuals can be quite intelligent, but the mob is dumb. We have a concentrated effort to keep people dumb by people with a vested interest in the same.

The only news or information these people hear about covid is what they consume from facebook, fox, newsmax, and oan. These are people just deep inside a loving propaganda bubble that is nigh impossible to penetrate.

A massive chunk of our nation has been fed a steady diet of horseshit via a firehose while being gaslit that the garbage they read is the only truth out there.

This is a very complicated issue that really goes beyond "lol idiots glad they're gone." I don't know about you, but I work with people who believe these things (clients of mine), I live around people that believe these things, and I have family that believe these things. Are they all idiots? Individually, no. Are they all being shovelfed horrible propaganda served via deliberately gamed psychological channels to maximize impact? Absolutely.

How to fix this is a massive problem without a ready solution. How do you deprogram someone with years of mental conditioning? Think how easy it is for any of us to fall back into military habits. I still don't walk on grass if there's a sidewalk available.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

piL posted:

Nah, they're not. They're exhausted and frustrated as gently caress.

I'd personally be laughing my asses off, but fear that we're never going to have herd immunity because these idiots will be an all you can eat buffet keeping COVID alive and well and mutating, and the disease itself is not fatal enough to make that a self-correcting problem.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ASAPI posted:

It isn't just Florida with this. Sister-in-law that lives in California works with all right wingers. They convinced her somehow that the vaccine was bad and produced from the dead bodies of aborted babies. We need more than deprogramming.

A friend in europe was just telling me how their sister was refusing the vaccine because it was so obviously unsafe. I armed them with some facts, but its not even an american chud thing

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

RFC2324 posted:

A friend in europe was just telling me how their sister was refusing the vaccine because it was so obviously unsafe. I armed them with some facts, but its not even an american chud thing

Like Mr. Nice! said, this is going to take a very long time to correct.

I have a feeling that we need multiple generations, across the globe, worth of effort to bring science and facts into the spotlight again. Having 20-30% of the population (God I hope the numbers are that low) just deny any and all science can't be good for long term health.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I've been living on the road since Feb and I'm trying to figure out if i can register in misery for a shot or if i have to wait until i get back to ny in... may... maybe

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Where I'm at in Southern CA there are doses available at every location with appointments not being filled up. There is also no deviation from the mandates on who can get the jab despite surplus. So not everyone who wants it is getting it yet but that's a byproduct of red CA areas being crazy loving stupid.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 6, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

piL posted:

They really are not, its pretty traumatic for them.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1379425890258534400?s=19

Hell yeah

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This is a metastasis of the old "the flu shot makes you sick/gives you the flu" bullshit.

Every time I've gotten into this argument with anyone, pre-COVID, that is, they always front as if it was *them* who "got really sick once," but if/when you press, it always becomes "a friend of a friend of a friend" or some horseshit like that.

There's also a healthy amount of "them doctors think they're so smart," too.

But you also can't discount the worst anti-vax motivation, which is "people give me attention when I say I'm not getting the vaccine. If I get the vaccine people will stop trying to convince me to get it."

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/sta...ingawful.com%2F

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress. :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still don't walk on grass if there's a sidewalk available.

I do this too but because I make a habit of deliberately not being in a hurry and desire paths are kinda ugly

stealie72 posted:

Nah, they're not. They're exhausted and frustrated as gently caress.

He was being ironic

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Also DMX is probably brain dead

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
loving fentanyl, I know it. Sucks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

loving fentanyl, I know it. Sucks

It's murda.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is a metastasis of the old "the flu shot makes you sick/gives you the flu" bullshit.

Every time I've gotten into this argument with anyone, pre-COVID, that is, they always front as if it was *them* who "got really sick once," but if/when you press, it always becomes "a friend of a friend of a friend" or some horseshit like that.

There's also a healthy amount of "them doctors think they're so smart," too.

But you also can't discount the worst anti-vax motivation, which is "people give me attention when I say I'm not getting the vaccine. If I get the vaccine people will stop trying to convince me to get it."

I have a theory that most people who say they have had the flu actually just got a really bad cold or some type of respiratory infection or strep throat or something.

I’ve maybe had it once? Maybe?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

I have a theory that most people who say they have had the flu actually just got a really bad cold or some type of respiratory infection or strep throat or something.

I’ve maybe had it once? Maybe?
100% with you. The flu generally leaves you immobile for days. You'll know when you have it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
On the vaccine topic:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1379117524026015751?s=19

There's a solid chunk of the country that will simply not give a flying gently caress about scientific research and data. So they're looking for whatever or whoever confirms their bullshit, which is usually randos on Facebook in a chicken-or-egg cycle of bullshit. Throw on top of that:

https://twitter.com/NYTNational/status/1379044932413968388?s=19

So we're lucky that the vaccines are so good that the hospitalization rates of The Olds are flatlining even with hesitancy. The real trouble is if the facebookers get infected and birth a supervariant and we don't have the time to get boosters ready. That's also why US governmental people are already putting together a vaccination strategy for the whole world once the US is done because each country could easily export a variant here.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

On the vaccine topic:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1379117524026015751?s=19

There's a solid chunk of the country that will simply not give a flying gently caress about scientific research and data. So they're looking for whatever or whoever confirms their bullshit, which is usually randos on Facebook in a chicken-or-egg cycle of bullshit. Throw on top of that:

I think the media would rather report on this as the next segment of “America, the insane reality show starring insane people” than to, I dunno, fill the loving void left by the media.

I know that the press being free is paramount to democracy but the general standards of operating really need a close look.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lake of Methane posted:

I also just wanted to say gently caress Oracle and recall that the software with a convoluted and confusing workflow that resulted in Citibank inadvertently sending $500 million out to Revlon creditors was another Oracle gem, "Flexcube."

Reminder that Oracle was contracted by the state of oregon to write the healthcare marketplace for the state, and the project cost over $200 million, never worked, and caused a whole bunch of lawsuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

This is not true.