Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

dwarf74 posted:

Australia and New Zealand are mostly living life like normal and reacting in targeted, specific ways to outbreaks.

Which is what I'm saying the United States is going to head towards (and did in the part you snipped out). Living life almost like normal, with targeted, specific reactions to outbreaks.

Australia and New Zealand have instituted the sort of precautionary measures that are actually required. They have two-week quarantines for people entering, and they back them up with deadly serious fines and physical enforcement of the law. They perform testing and effective contact tracing. The Australians maintained quarantines between their internal borders too.

No one's going to do things like that in the USA. What'll happen is we'll achieve herd immunity in patches and it will seem great right up until someone with a vaccine-evasive strain emerges. Contact tracing will be slow, because tracing apps work best when they're mandatory instead of opt-in, and the most effective measures for early containment will remain completely off the table in practice because, as has been proven in many locations within the USA, enforcement of quarantine procedures is a chore that most LEOs will wink at if they think they can. Because there's no stomach for necessary procedures now, particularly now that people seem to equate vaccination with individual immunity, it will be harder to achieve compliance with even the measures we're using presently. Vaccine production capacity will be diverted to booster production for whichever strain is the present terror, and the global vaccine rate will slow, giving further opportunity for more variants to evolve.

Strict quarantine in response to an outbreak is the only proven method for actually stopping the spread of corona virus instead of slowing it. China has demonstrated this several times by literally shutting down entire cities, putting up riot barriers and armed cordons, and testing every single soul that is there or was there within two weeks. We can assume these same lessons would apply to a vaccine-evasive strain.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
This virus is absolutely a wild card that could greatly accelerate the stratification of the United States of America and hasten God knows what

This kind of talk though belongs in D&D or C-SPAM

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: I just want to see my husband again some day. He's off to Afghanistan now and isn't allowed to come home for another year because of quarantine regulations, even if we're vaccinated. I last saw him in 2019.

Covid sucks.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:smith: I just want to see my husband again some day. He's off to Afghanistan now and isn't allowed to come home for another year because of quarantine regulations, even if we're vaccinated. I last saw him in 2019.

Covid sucks.

jesus christ, i cannot imagine. my heart goes out to you both

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dwarf74 posted:

This is good news, but we did have a little holiday yesterday that coincided with a Sunday, so we probably shouldn't take it as a sign. Yet.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1379090275969216519?s=19

Castaign posted:

Come on folks; I don't want to be a Pollyanna, but it takes a special sort of stupid to look at that graph and go "well, duh, that low number is just because it was a holiday weekend."

I didn't see the stats for Friday or Saturday but 35 states didn't report any deaths on Sunday and 20 didn't report any on Monday. The exact same thing happens every major holiday:

The dip last Independence Day was small but still visible, Labor Day was a little bigger, the dips for Thanksgiving and Xmas/New Years are real obvious, etc etc.. Note also that deaths had been slowly rising for about a week before the sudden Easter drop.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I didn't see the stats for Friday or Saturday but 35 states didn't report any deaths on Sunday and 20 didn't report any on Monday. The exact same thing happens every major holiday:

The dip last Independence Day was small but still visible, Labor Day was a little bigger, the dips for Thanksgiving and Xmas/New Years are real obvious, etc etc.. Note also that deaths had been slowly rising for about a week before the sudden Easter drop.

Yeah, I get that.

Even if you ignore the holiday weekend entirely, that graph is looking pretty good.

(Good being a very relative term here.)

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

stab posted:

What's happening in the States is not happening in the majority of the world.

India is beyond hosed right now

quote:

India has an estimated population of 1.38 billion people. Only 60 million Indians (roughly 4.3 per cent of the population) have received their first dose and only 0.6 per cent of the population is fully vaccinated

A substantial portion of a population needs to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity. Yet even vaccinating 60 per cent of India’s population translates to nearly 800 million people, which would take over two years to achieve at the current rate.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

It's not quite as bad as you might think - India is a very young country (average age of 27!) and it's also a distinctly slim country, certainly compared to the US or UK. Now the reason that the proportion of vulnerable, older, fatter people is low (poverty) isn't so good but it does mean that Covid has a relatively low impact compared to other medical problems the country has.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1377715041860907010

LOL the polls are all saying that the demographics with highest vaccine hesitancy are overwhelmingly GOP/Trump voters, this is just going to make them more resistant to the idea.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've come up.with a reasonable compromise for the vaccine passports thing.

People can exchange their smartphones, supermarket club cards and credit/debit cards for a old school link bank card. Flash that at venues/shops/pubs so they will know you are super serious and consistent about your right to safeguard personal information and then they can let you in at special plague hour and at special plague cash only rates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My compromise with antivaxxers:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Got my first dose on Saturday and no side effects aside from my temperature going up about 2° and my parkinson's meds not working right for the first day.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Got my first dose on Saturday and no side effects aside from my temperature going up about 2° and my parkinson's meds not working right for the first day.

It does not matter where you are, the batch number is what they care about - please please report that side effect here https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Got my pfizer yesterday. My arm hurts pretty bad and I was hot as hell last night trying to sleep.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I am 6 hours away from my first shot of Pfizer.

Since August 10, I have spent every weekday in a 26'x30' room with 25-33 kids, who are not required to wear masks and over half of whom do not. I've watched dozens of kids disappear from school for 14-30 days, classes dropping to 1/3 attendance due to all the quarantines, and the school district doing gently caress-all the entire time besides saying, "Well, we got these lovely desk dividers and you can pick up all the hand sanitizer you want!" They have a "COVID newsletter" that comes out every month that since August has given someone a $50k+ a year job to write that you should wash your hands, but no one had time to send anything out that said, "Hey, here's where you can get your vaccines, here's when and where these things are available, etc." It's just been, "good loving luck, essential workers we care so much about."

Now the worst person in America is proposing an extra $1,000 bonus to teachers and administrators to "thank us." gently caress YOU RON DESANTIS. A loving THOUSAND DOLLARS COMES OUT TO LITERALLY LESS THAN A DOLLAR AN HOUR YOU'VE INSISTED WE BE IN THESE PLAGUE WARDS. gently caress YOU.

Oh, and only teachers and administrators. The custodians who clean up the COVID rooms? Nothing. The school nurse, who has been in more danger over the past few months than most of our dudes in the loving Middle East? Nothing. The lunchroom workers who feed 2,000+ kids in a loving assembly line every day? Nothing. If I get a loving $1,000 I'm going to immediately donate it to whoever is running against the stupidest person in the world, Ron DeSantis.

And in 6 hours I will finally have some protection against this loving thing. Someone above said that COVID might hasten the Balkanization of America well, COVID has definitely hastened the retirement of Jonathon Spectre. I used to think I'd teach for the rest of my life because I enjoy it so much. I've won multiple Teacher of the Year awards. Now I've got two years to hit twenty years on the job and I am loving leaving on the day I hit twenty. Some state out West is going to hit the loving teacher lottery due to Florida being the biggest piece of poo poo in the Union.

Thanks for being here to listen to all my ranting during this awful loving school year, goon friends. No one here in Backwood Rootas-Poot, Florida would listen, and I use words too big for these loving morons most of the time anyway.

6 more hours. I'm wrapping myself in plastic until then and hiding in a box.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

JonathonSpectre posted:

Thanks for being here to listen to all my ranting during this awful loving school year, goon friends. No one here in Backwood Rootas-Poot, Florida would listen, and I use words too big for these loving morons most of the time anyway.

Good luck and just remember, this is a huge step towards getting back to normal. Sorry you had to put up with so much bullshit.

My job listed me as an "essential worker" so I could keep going to work, but I never saw a pay increase or bonus or anything. And back in December when it was looking like vaccines would be in short supply, we were told "Oh no, we can't guarantee any of you to get a vaccine. That's up to you to organize that."

Thanks capitalism!

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

A Fancy Hat posted:

Good luck and just remember, this is a huge step towards getting back to normal. Sorry you had to put up with so much bullshit.

My job listed me as an "essential worker" so I could keep going to work, but I never saw a pay increase or bonus or anything. And back in December when it was looking like vaccines would be in short supply, we were told "Oh no, we can't guarantee any of you to get a vaccine. That's up to you to organize that."

Thanks capitalism!

That's what enrages me so much about my school district. They paid someone this entire year to write essentially the same PDF with different clip art that said the same thing every single loving month, but there was just no way anyone could put together a PDF that said, "Hey here's when where and how to get your vaccine ASAP." They literally sent out an email that said, "We are having a vaccine clinic at JS's school this weekend, but only for people 50+, if you are not 50+ you'll need to make your own arrangements."

Now, if I was writing this, I'd have put a bunch of links after that to help my employees. But I think that would have taken away from them deciding what clip art pictures of sick children (seriously) to put on THIS month's COVID newsletter. Hey everyone, wash your hands! Vaccines? Go do your own thing!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

JonathonSpectre posted:

gently caress Florida

I suggest Tacoma, WA or that general area. Don't go any further south unless it's Olympia or Vancouver.

You're about to be poked.

You're gonna get a HUGE loving immunity bloom and be so covered in covid rash that your superspreader fosterlings will SCREAM at the sight of you.

I love you and you're gonna be okay and Desantis is going to choke guzzling his own cum one night.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Essential Worker or Essentially a Worker? It's the new Working Hard or Hardly Working?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"Coronavirus has basically been the middle classes working from home while the poor bring them stuff"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wonder how the numbers break out. WFHers seem to be an ultra privileged, wildly vocal minority and not some massive movement in my professional circle.

It’s funny listening to podcasts and hearing the hosts just assume everybody gets to stay home and that we’re “all in this together”

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

stab posted:

What's happening in the States is not happening in the majority of the world.

Just the way of it. On a website mostly populated by Americans, even if most profess to hate the (political entity) of America, the discussion generally revolves around America itself. Comfy Fleece Sweater posted probably one of the most shocking things in the entire thread and it didn't even register in the rash of "got my dose! my arm is sore??" posts lol

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

JonathonSpectre posted:

I know this won't help at all, but I grew up in Florida and my teachers across the board were the most kind, selfless, caring, giving people I've ever known and got me through so many hard times. I wouldn't be where I am without them and my heart aches for US teachers, especially in Florida. Rant away and thank you.

Edit: also gently caress Desantis. I went to elementary school with him, at a lovely Catholic school where the only bad teachers I had were.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 6, 2021

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

stab posted:

We have the majority of the world's population that isn't even as close to the shotas we Canadians are (and yes, vaccine envy is VERY real.

That's uh, um, one hell of a typo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1377715041860907010

LOL the polls are all saying that the demographics with highest vaccine hesitancy are overwhelmingly GOP/Trump voters, this is just going to make them more resistant to the idea.

gently caress 'em

i don't give a poo poo anymore

i've been giving a poo poo for the past two decades and watching as those idiots load their guns and blast themselves in the foot over and over and over again. just gently caress em

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fallom posted:

I wonder how the numbers break out. WFHers seem to be an ultra privileged, wildly vocal minority and not some massive movement in my professional circle.

It’s funny listening to podcasts and hearing the hosts just assume everybody gets to stay home and that we’re “all in this together”

There's a certain class of people with decently sized houses, secure finances and computer-touching jobs who've had a distinctly pleasant epidemic overall and many of them seem to be opinion columnists who struggle to empathise with either young people having to live and work from home in crowded, unsuitable conditions or, worse, people who actually have to leave the house in order to do their jobs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jeza posted:

Just the way of it. On a website mostly populated by Americans, even if most profess to hate the (political entity) of America, the discussion generally revolves around America itself. Comfy Fleece Sweater posted probably one of the most shocking things in the entire thread and it didn't even register in the rash of "got my dose! my arm is sore??" posts lol

We care, but we also have an ungodly pile of bodies and we're really desperate for that to stop.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
trip report 24 hours after j/j

totally fine, no side effects other then a stuffy nose, which seems like it's already clearing up

it might not be fancy mrna but i can't complain, one dose, no second appointment, no side effects for me..

now to get through 27 more days before i try and see other vaxed homies

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My wife and I got our J&J's last week in a nice drive thru setup.

I had some bad head fog the day after, piercing headaches when my blood pressure went up at all, and was just incredibly tired. Though that evening it all basically went away.

My wife just felt tired, but not as bad as I did.

Since then, we've just had a sore spot on our arm that gets better each day. Now to wait another few weeks for it to fully kick in!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i've been giving a poo poo for the past two decades and watching as those idiots load their guns and blast themselves in the foot over and over and over again. just gently caress em
Unfortunately they're suicide bombing more than they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You know the dick graph for Johnson & Johnson? Is there a graph like that for Pfizer showing effectiveness over time? (Does not have to be a dick shape)

naem
May 29, 2011

Fallom posted:

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's a certain class of people with decently sized houses, secure finances and computer-touching jobs who've had a distinctly pleasant epidemic overall and many of them seem to be opinion columnists who struggle to empathise with either young people having to live and work from home in crowded, unsuitable conditions or, worse, people who actually have to leave the house in order to do their jobs.

the “we” in “are in this together” mean “other money people aka humans”

in the 2008 crisis and job crunch, I read this self indulgent article about a guy who “had it tough” because to save money he left NYC to live in Georgia (in a house he paid cash for), for six months, then moved back and lived in NYC in a smaller apartment where “all he had was a laptop”

the whole tone of the article was hard times and boot straps and “barely having a half million liquid to start over with” and I was like, who the gently caress is this article for lol

like, sure there’s a population of people in that tax bracket out there, I guess they’re all reading this and jerking themselves off going “hard times, yeah HARD TIMES, ONLY A HALF MILLION SELF MADE FORTUNE OH UHH GUUUAAAARRGH NEOLIBERALISM”

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

You know the dick graph for Johnson & Johnson? Is there a graph like that for Pfizer showing effectiveness over time? (Does not have to be a dick johnson shape)

Ftfy

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just got promoted to risk group 2 in Germany because pregnant women can "assign" 2 contact persons. My goddaughter's parents just called me and told me I should apply for vaccination ASAP because the grandma can't get vaccinated, which I did.

Unfortunately grandma took her sweet time letting them know and I need to present a "mother's pass" to be eligible for the 1st vaccination as contact and the baby is due in 3 weeks, after that the pass not valid anymore. Thats gonna be dicey to arrange and I won't be fully vaccinated in time.

Grandma made things a lot more complicated... I might have to call and try to arrange a date instead of waiting until they contact me as you normally are supposed to. 1 shot should give at least some degree of protection and I have to take care of my goddaughter with or without it when baby #2 is born.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

At a family gathering the other day I asked my wife's 18YO nephew about vaccines in his school and he responded that he's "not putting chemicals in his body".

The kid vapes but is afraid of chemicals, but then again he and the rest of the family already got rona'd up and December which ended up killing their grandmother so what's the risk now?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

They wont respond to logic until it slaps them in the face with a vaccination before they thought it would ever happen. I regret engaging it, 90% of US adults will be eligible for a vaccine before the end of the month and its laughable to think production slow down. The rest of the world will see vast improvement if for no reason other than global capitalism requires poo poo to be normal.

Nice work being an rear end in a top hat to a person pointing out that US is currently the only place which has more than plenty of vaccines to dish around because majority of production is there. The reality for the rest of the planet is that the lock down and stay-home and the current death rates keep going steadily for another 4-9 months in other first world countries, in the third world it might take years.

USA having enough vaccines to give it to anyone looking for one does not mean that the rest of the world has that option in any near future.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

naem posted:

the “we” in “are in this together” mean “other money people aka humans”

in the 2008 crisis and job crunch, I read this self indulgent article about a guy who “had it tough” because to save money he left NYC to live in Georgia (in a house he paid cash for), for six months, then moved back and lived in NYC in a smaller apartment where “all he had was a laptop”

the whole tone of the article was hard times and boot straps and “barely having a half million liquid to start over with” and I was like, who the gently caress is this article for lol

like, sure there’s a population of people in that tax bracket out there, I guess they’re all reading this and jerking themselves off going “hard times, yeah HARD TIMES, ONLY A HALF MILLION SELF MADE FORTUNE OH UHH GUUUAAAARRGH NEOLIBERALISM”

I've tried to find it, but there was some hilariously out of touch columnist a few years ago who wrote about how she managed to pay off her massive student loans.

Her successful plan involved moving rent-free into one of the apartments her father owned and leveraging his business connections to secure a high paying job. Truly one of the people.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Der Kyhe posted:

Nice work being an rear end in a top hat to a person pointing out that US is currently the only place which has more than plenty of vaccines to dish around because majority of production is there. The reality for the rest of the planet is that the lock down and stay-home and the current death rates keep going steadily for another 4-9 months in other first world countries, in the third world it might take years.

USA having enough vaccines to give it to anyone looking for one does not mean that the rest of the world has that option in any near future.

This may be laughably naive on my part, but it's my hope that as vaccine production in the US continues to ramp up we will soon be in a position to provide doses for other countries.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Europe has plenty of vaccination factories, as does India, china and Russia. Don't think there is a comprehensive list around, if there were people would freak much out less and get a lot more angry at their own governments.

The problem isn't the quantity of vaccines produced world wide, but the infrastructure and logistics coupled with politics in individual areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Castaign posted:

This may be laughably naive on my part, but it's my hope that as vaccine production in the US continues to ramp up we will soon be in a position to provide doses for other countries.

Sure hope so since I live in one of the "best scenario" EU countries and we are only about to clear the 20% for the first dose, and are about to reach the "over 70 year olds vaccinated at least once".

The only thing promised to me so far is that I might get my first jab before August, and most likely before September when the universities and colleges retry having a normalish academic year. And I qualify to two out of the seven classification criteria above "all of the rest".

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 6, 2021