Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

(Hot take: the list of things the anime does better than the game for Persona 4 is significantly longer)

Of course it is as the anime had the guts to admit what Yu really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Of course it is as the anime had the guts to admit what Yu really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt2ZHp3IaiU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I didn't know defending Morgana is allowed.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anakha posted:

A few days into the Okumura story arc, and Ryuji's pretty much on my shitlist now.

Even after Morgana reunites with the team, his lack of apology for starting that shitfest doesn't sit well with me.

For all their bickering, I don't recall Morgana harping on his leg, his mom or the track team, while Ryuji in this arc has been constantly picking on Morgana's place on the team which is clearly a sensitive topic. There's being a dumbass, like he was in previous arcs, and there's just being an insensitive prick.

I'm not a Morgana fan by any means, but I'm definitely off the 'Ryuji is cool' train now.

Ryuji never tries to kill the party, so I blame Morgana.

anakha posted:

IMO, you can't really say the change was purely on Morgana's part because Ryuji started calling him useless after Futaba joined the team.

Up to that point, the bickering seemed mostly benign to me, but got personal after.

Anyway, I'm seeing other statements online that they didn't like the Okumura arc so maybe this just was a low point in the story. Still, I'm off the Ryuji bandwagon for now.

I mean, in the first 30 seconds of meeting Morgana he's already sucking up to Joker and dumping on Ryuji even if Joker is also like "I have no idea what's going on" or telling Morgana to gently caress off.

Of course Ryuji's going to fire back, Morgana has been a poo poo to him since they met.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

One of the things I'm looking forward to in Royal is that I hear they added party member relationship interactions that don't have to go through you?

3 more days...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I agree they've been bickering since the start and Morgana's far from blameless in that situation. Like I said, I'm not a real big Morgana fan either.

After the first Palace the back and forth had more or less settled down and was mostly background noise until Futaba's rescue. Ryuji suddenly taking the bickering in that direction was jarring and his being unapologetic about it really upped the dickishness factor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One of the things I'm looking forward to in Royal is that I hear they added party member relationship interactions that don't have to go through you?

3 more days...

Just a few but there are a few new scenes yeah. And the new Showtime attacks are fun showcases for party member interactions.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I like morgana he is my plucky furry friend

The laugh/meow sound he makes when he is happy is very cute, and I like that he serves as a leg weight when you work out

maybe I just have a soft spot for him because I have a dashing tuxedo cat irl

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Morgana is a little poo poo but I like him anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I relate to Morgana

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Do you think P5 has the most controversial male party members in the series, taken as a whole?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think yosuke alone handily wins P4 that dubious title

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it's gotta be P4. Both Ryuji and Yusuke have their "what the gently caress is with this guy, he sucks" moments (Ryuji at the fifth Palace and Yusuke before he joins up) but I think both of them recover very well from those and I don't see many people disliking them by the end of the game. Morgana's the one who seems the most actually divisive.

Meanwhile, P4 has both Yosuke and Teddie, and... yeah.

Then again, I also haven't seen very many Teddie defenders so maybe he doesn't count as controversial if most people agree he sucks :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's some debate on whether he or morgana is the worse mascot, but imo morgana's lady-ann nonsense is skeezy but based a misguided sense of chivalry and exacerbated by translation issues, while teddie's horndogbear act is entirely a "joke" that isn't funny to start with and becomes excruciating by the fourth or fifth iteration, and he does it to everyone, everywhere, so you never get a break from it when he's with the party

kanji's also "controversial" in the sense that there's still a lot of back-and-forth about how he views his sexuality, though if you wanted to rank P4's male party members he's so high above the other two that he can hardly see them

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 6, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I didn't know defending Morgana is allowed.

I prefer Morgana to Teddie :colbert:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I should have precised that I include Akechi among the lot.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

There’s at least one good thing about Morgana: he has the best all-out finisher splash graphic.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Yosuke isn't really controversial outside of SA, or at least he wasn't before the steam release.

Teddie sucks and has annoying feet but he never told me i had to go to bed. I know that's more the poor gameplay/structure of P5 than it is actually a fault with Morgana the character, but it's still all i remember

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

There’s at least one good thing about Morgana: he has the best all-out finisher splash graphic.

Funny way to spell Haru.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Acerbatus posted:

Ryuji never tries to kill the party, so I blame Morgana.

I don't think Morgana does either. Haru was the one behind the wheel, Morgana was just the attempted murder weapon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

I don't think Morgana does either. Haru was the one behind the wheel, Morgana was just the attempted murder weapon.

Strikers does show that Haru is a terrifying force of nature when it comes to driving.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Edit:

WrightOfWay posted:

Funny way to spell Haru.

:yeah:

Edit 2:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like Teddie's SL scenes more than Morgana's and Teddie makes it his life's mission to ruin Yosuke so he's cool.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Teddie isn't even that bad in the base game, where his flirting is more innocent and not as centralizing for his character, it's the spinoff games and extra content that flanderize him into an anime dirty old man stereotype.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Harrow posted:

(Hot take: the list of things the anime does better than the game for Persona 4 is significantly longer)
Persona 4 the Animation is also way less pointlessly mean-spirited with Hanako. There are still the occasional fat jokes, but she's just odd and a bit antisocial, especially during the class trip, rather than being so arrogant and catty and selfish, like all the worst possible stereotypes about fat girls rolled into one.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the modifiers to Persona 4's difficulty settings?

I.e Is "More EXP" at 1.5 the rate?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 7, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure it's 2x. 99% it's 2x for the money setting, at least. Don't know about the damage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The main problem with P4 is that Yosuke and Teddie aren't to a tee terrible, but they've aged extremely badly, the same way things like old sitcom jokes have. It's also really bad in how badly the jokes are flanderized in the sequels (haha girls can't cook/Kanji's sexuality/Chie likes meat/etc.). P3 also suffers a bit of it but they didn't get nearly the deluge of content that P4 got, so the worst you really get is Akihiko turning into a goober whose every second word is 'protein'.

Like I still like P4G, and I'll happily replay it (after creating a save file past the very slow opening), but it's a charmingly flawed product that may have one or two flaws that aren't so charming anymore.

PMush Perfect posted:

Persona 4 the Animation is also way less pointlessly mean-spirited with Hanako. There are still the occasional fat jokes, but she's just odd and a bit antisocial, especially during the class trip, rather than being so arrogant and catty and selfish, like all the worst possible stereotypes about fat girls rolled into one.

I may be the only one but I also felt really bad in how P4 in general treats Kashiwagi? Like as terrible a person as she is, she actually does teach her curriculum in school lessons (she even has you answer a bunch of questions towards the end of P4G to get some costumes if you want), and the game just dumps on her by treating her as an old never-been who can never get a man, preys on teenage boys and tries to show up a bunch of teenage girls by entering (and losing) a beauty pageant next to them.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 7, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yosuke's fine when the game isn't trying to have a comic scene with him. When he's being sincere and supportive and trying his best to solve the mystery and support his friends, he's pretty cool. But basically every attempt to have a funny scene with Yosuke makes him incredibly grating, either with his homophobia (it's entirely realistic for him to be that way but it sucks that the joke is at Kanji's expense and not Yosuke's) or when he's going full horndog (though at least you get dialogue options to relentlessly make fun of him during some of those scenes).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also as good as Yuri Lowenthal is, Ryuji has Max Mittleman who, if not the best VA in Persona casts, is very, very up there. Like the Persona casts in general are strong but I think the only ones that come close to his range are maybe Futaba, Ann... maybe Yukari? It's been such a long time since I touched P3 that while I know the cast in general is fine, I don't know if they have Ryuji's sheer range for anything from actual serious scenes to just everyday reactions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also as good as Yuri Lowenthal is, Ryuji has Max Mittleman who, if not the best VA in Persona casts, is very, very up there. Like the Persona casts in general are strong but I think the only ones that come close to his range are maybe Futaba, Ann... maybe Yukari? It's been such a long time since I touched P3 that while I know the cast in general is fine, I don't know if they have Ryuji's sheer range for anything from actual serious scenes to just everyday reactions.

Seriously, Max Mittelman is insanely good as Ryuji, and he's only gotten better in the newer stuff (the anime dub, Strikers, etc.). I posted a video on the previous page of the "Morgana comes back from his temporary leave" scene in the anime and Mittelman absolutely nails his lines as Ryuji there.

I'm excited to hear more of him in FF7R Part 2 as Red XIII, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm really hoping they don't squander Mittleman's range there; like Red's already such a significant departure from Ryuji that it's impressive, but what made Ryuji such a standout was the kind of emotive delivery that Mittleman did in that role. Red wasn't extremely emotive in the game outside of a few places so I hope they let him have some fun.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm really hoping they don't squander Mittleman's range there; like Red's already such a significant departure from Ryuji that it's impressive, but what made Ryuji such a standout was the kind of emotive delivery that Mittleman did in that role. Red wasn't extremely emotive in the game outside of a few places so I hope they let him have some fun.

Mittleman going ham in the Gi Cave storyline in Part 2 of the Remake is going to be amazing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be fair to Yosuke, comparing him with Ryuji isn't entirely fair because they play different roles in the story. Ryuji isn't the Magician, he's the Chariot. Yosuke shares his arcana with Junpei and Morgana, not with Ryuji, and there are definitely more commonalities between the three Magician boys (insecure in their role in the group, "hopeless romantic" often crossing over into "inappropriately horny," the male character you always seem to check in with first on most things, etc.).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe, but I can find just as many common threads linking Yosuke with Ryuji to... Yukari? I guess. They're the ones that check in with you the most out of actual concern, the ones with the most emotional attachment to you (well there's Rise but she's... a different flavour). I know Yukari passes the baton to Aigis later, but she's still like the first person you meet and has a lot of early bonding scenes up til the beach scene.

Ryuji isn't even really that horny, I think? Aside from the Ann thing (which let's be honest, is pretty much limited to CGs), I think the only other scene where he's led by his junk is when starting the Temperance link. A couple passing comments like wanting to see the girls in their yukatas but otherwise pretty harmless and more 'PHANTOM THIEVES' territory.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

red's whole thing is being very serious and stoic right up until bugenhagen cheerfully informs everyone that he's the catdog equivalent of an angsty teen, so we'll see how that works out when we get to cosmo canyon

the remake's "lab rat dog" line already shows that he's not without a sense of fun, so it's a promising start

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Red's not without humour, I think it's just gonna be more 'dry humour', which might be interesting to see yeah.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Red XIII loudly proclaims being a member of AVALANCHE.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Red XIII loudly proclaims being a member of AVALANCHE.

Lab rat dog :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Red XIII and Cait Sith have a fight that results in the latter leaving the party.

The difference is that unlike Persona 5, nobody cares about Cait Sith.